Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on November 7, 2012
Great camera. Just bought it and love it.
One word of warning: This camera takes Micro SD cards, not SD cards. Amazon advertizes a SD card together with the Hero 3 as 'frequently bought together'. if you take that offer, you'll end up with the wrong card....
on November 1, 2012
Videos unbelievably crisp clear and I love the wide angle you can see just about everything only thing I have to recommend is make sure you get a class 10 micro sd card or you cannot use pro tune mode or time lap .

There really is no way you can beat the prices of these cameras shoes great video all round excellent product I would recommend to anybody who wants some action shots.

Or even just a great HD camera.
1010 comments|18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2012
Ok fist off, i dont own one yet. Second.. Be careful on the price. The GoPro HD Hero 3 Silver is available direct from GoPro for $299.00 as at Best Buy and many other retail stores and free shipping is included. Some vendors are upping the price.

From everything i have seen, this is an awsome piece of equiptment and so versitile. I will be buying mine in Early December for a Scuba Diving vacation we are taking.

DONT LET THESE ONE OFF VENDORS SCREW YOU ON THE PRICE!
on November 6, 2012
Bought this camera a week ago. The device is great.
-Video quality is stunning in perfect conditions. Comparing with hero2, low light video quality is much better now, especially with spot metering, custom white balance and protune mode.
-Sound is really good if you do not use skeleton or waterproof casing. With waterproof casing you really can't hear anything even in a quiet place. With skeleton the voice recording is satisfactory but if you want the best sound recording you just dont put your camera in a casing. You can also buy an external mic from ebay which is really cheap but it significantly improves sound quality.

Pros.
- Size - really small and can fit in a palm which is great. Smaller and easier to carry around than hero2
- video quality
- sound - great sound if you do not have a casing on a camera
- wifi - haven't used yet, though
- modes: burst mode and Timelapse work really awesome

Cons.
- video in low light - better than hero2 but still noisy.
- sound if you use a casing - however with an external mic it's great.

Overall i'm totally pleased with the device. Silver edition is like an updated version of hero2 with lots of improvements
on March 24, 2013
I took this camera on a scuba diving trip. I got very good photos and videos, although with the wide angle lens, you cannot take macro photos of small subjects. I was on a dive boat with 17 divers, and I think there were 5 GoPros among them. Most of the time, they were fine, but everyone had some trouble with them at some time, as did I. A couple of times, when I tried to change modes under water, the camera froze up. I had to wait to get above water to take the battery out to turn it off. But, that was mostly my error, and as I got more experienced and knew better what to do, I had less and less problems. One thing I did notice was that the problems seemed to be related to battery life. I had extra batteries with me, and I changed them out after each dive no matter what the battery level gauge said. From then on, I had almost no problems.

Once I got back, I was able to download lots of photos and about 90 minutes of video. From that, I got many that were quite good, and a put together a 20 minute video that was reasonably good for my first time editing. Despite the start-up problems, I would recommend this camera to anyone who wants to take action videos and photos.
on November 3, 2012
my First gopro camera, video is great, but the unit is buggy. Sometimes it films sometimes it seems to get stuck and have to pull the battery to unfreeze. Hard to trust it when your filming great shots and then find out its not working. Fit and finish looks good, wish the software was a bit more robust, plugged into gopro website for updates and it fixed the first issue of battery charging but now seem to have more software issues. and the wifi to tablet does not work yet. microSD cards are tricky to handle, easy to misplace, but the class 10 works good. Still have another 15 days to decided to return or not.

*EDIT*
keeping the camera. Tech support has been helpfull, (took 5 days to return message). The video is really amazing for such a small package and I'll give it 4 stars now. Battery life is not great, maybe 2 hours max, purchased an extra battery. Have not had the unit freeze up after a reset.
GoPro Support response to the wifi and apps.
"The App is currently up and running for the Hero2, but our development team is still working on finishing up the firmware update for the Hero3 to make it compatible with the App. We are told that this firmware update will be out by mid-November for the Hero White and Silver editions"

*Update 11/25/2012*
LCD touch bak would not work with gopro, tech support was nice again but this time they want me to find another gopro to try the touchbak on. Their thoughts is it could be the gopro. For the money spent on this unit and its branded accessories i was not happy with the overall support. The unit continues to once in awhile lock up, Which requires a battery pull.
on January 19, 2013
I almost didn't purchase this camera because of some of the bad ratings, but I'm VERY glad that I went ahead with it. This camera is AMAZING. Excellent picture, and the go pro app for your phone that controls the camera via wireless is crazy. The camera has worked very well. It locked up one time while I was plugging and unplugging it from the computer. Other then that it's been great. Take the time to read up on it and to update the firmware as soon as you purchase it. If you don't take the time to learn to use it, you may think that something is wrong with it or that it doesn't work well. If you really learn to use it this camera will provide you with excellent video. I'm using it while I'm learning to fly. I bought a ram mount suction cup and I stick it to the inside window of the aircraft during each of my flights. Great camera, works well, just be sure to take the time to learn to use it.
on December 11, 2012
I switched from Contour when GoPro announced all models will come with wifi to use you iPhone or Android to make setting adjustments on the fly. Even if you cannot get your hands on the camera where you have it mounted with the free app this problem has been solved! The video footage is the same amazing qualtiy you have learned to expect from the Hero 2. THey same they have made tweaks to the Hero 3 to make it better, I am not exactly sure which at this time. If you are in the market for a helmet cam sub $299 this is the perfect choice!

As a side not this thing is TINY in comparison to the Hero 2 with out the case this thing is swallowed by my girl hands. with the case it is still extremely small and compact. They hit the nail on the head with the deisgn changes. It appears smaller then the Contour with a waterproof housing (ContourRoam is smaller out of box as no housing needed due to being submersible to 3')
on March 3, 2013
Gran calidad, ideal para cualquier deporte . La recomiendo, calidad profesional al alcance de cualquier usuario.
Además de poderse sumergir
on November 4, 2012
After purchasing the go pro-3 (silver) I had to buy all these extra accessories just to get going Well when I was done I spent 480 dollars on must haves Go pro nickel and dimes you for everything just to get there product going. My mistake Like people commented I should have wait and got something better and cheaper Reviews on brand new products on the market can be very misleading Thanks to Amazon for offering all the returns But I ended up keeping it Doesn't work very well though but lesson learned the hard way
1313 comments|9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse