Roku N1101 HD-XR Media Player
Used & New from: $73.14
HD vs HD XR? Reviews seem to favor the HD over the HD-XR. Which is better? What is the difference - I'm considering buying one but not sure which one.
asked by Beach Girl on July 12, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 answers
A
I believe there is a feature comparison on their website. Mainly G vs N networking and I think the USB port is just on the XR. If you missed the gold box deal for under a hundred for the XR, that's a shame-it was the same price as the next model down. This is the best tech investment I have made this year-super easy setup and great picture quality, flawless operation. Worth it just for the Netflix alone.
Beagleboy answered on July 13, 2010
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thanks for your reply - yeah I missed the deal but I haven't made a purchase yet. Maybe there'll be another deal... hopefully.
Beach Girl answered on July 14, 2010
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
If you go to the Roku website they had a $20 off coupon for new Netflix customers, and that may still be in effect. I'm considering another one to hook up to the lcd tv in front of my treadmill-it's very small and would give me a lot more viewing options without running any more wires or cables.
Beagleboy answered on July 14, 2010

A
Thanks for the info - unfortunately, and go figure - our very expensive and only 3 y/o plasma tv just died. Fortunately, we bought the extended warranty but still have no tv. Hopefully this will be resolved in the very near future - keep me posted for any other deals.
Beach Girl answered on July 27, 2010

A
I don't see the reason to buy the XD over the HD. Even Roku themselves say that the service needs at least a 1.5 Mbps connection but "..peaks out at about 5mbps". My home network is wired is 1,000 Mbps and my wireless router G is 54 Mbps. But my ISP is only hovering arounf 20-25 Mbps (Cablevision with Boost). Therefore, since I am streaming movies over the Internet with the Roku, and assuming the max my ISP is connected is 25 Mbps, why would I need a Roku XD over the HD? I already have two HD units, one is wired and the other is wireless. The performance is about the same on each. So the whole N network premium does not make sense to me. It would make sense if Roku let you stream from your LAN (pics, videos, music, etc.), where the extra bandwidth would be noticed. But if you are streaming only Internet content wirelessly (e.g. Netflix, Amazon VOD) then the HD model is perfect, unless you want the USB port for unknown future expansion.

Am I missing anything here? I am all for buying the best product available, but only if I am getting my money's worth. Paying a premium for the XD over the HD seems silly to me if you are not getting a faster Internet stream. The bottleneck is usually the ISP, not the streaming device.
Blade2000 answered on August 18, 2010

A
You are correct, and I am ashamed at all of the "techie junkies" that reviewed the XD on here. Wireless N has a theoretical speed of 300 Mbps, but realistically, it is only around 100 Mbps currently. This WELL outdoes my FiOS 25 Mbps per second speed, and this is above the national average by far. Wireless N, currently, is only helpful in networking and streaming things from your computer to another computer or device on the same network. It does NOT make streaming over the internet any faster than Wireless G which is set at 54 Mbps. So, even the fastest FiOS speeds (50 Mbps) will still be fine over Wireless G (again 54 Mbps). Then, you always have to think that you hardly EVER get your max internet speeds. I usually hover around 20 to 22 Mbps for internet bandwidth.

You are correct in saying that there is no point in even buying the XD version. My only question is, why is this thing even being sold? Can you even network with it? I am pretty sure there is no other use for these things than just streaming Netflix and Amazon video on demand, right? Maybe, if you could connect it to your network and stream things from your PC or other device on your network, then wireless N would come in use.

I just don't see even a use for paying the extra 20 bucks. At least not until internet speeds cross the 100 Mbps threshold... and even then the average user would still be far below that bandwidth for another 10 years after that. :/
G. W. Wampler answered on August 31, 2010
Comment | 1 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
One reason to get the HD-XR is that according to their website, the HD-XR will be able to stream 1080p video after a free update to the unit. The regular HD model is not getting this update. So, if watching 1080p video is important to you it may be worth getting the HD-XR model. Another is that Wireless N has a bigger range than Wireless G. The Wireless G signal degrades over a shorter distance than Wireless N. So, depending on where you have your router set up and if you have a large house it may be beneficial to get the HD-XR model.
Amazon Customer answered on September 2, 2010
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Netflix doesn't plan on adding 1080p movies though. They only plan on streaming 1080i movies, and telling by what they currently have streaming at 720p, it won't be many movies/shows anyway.

N may have a bigger range, but it also has an easier time of getting obstructed. Also, the N distances really only help out certain people with pretty large houses. Again, however, the speed increase is what is marketed like crazy, but nobody will be able to make their streaming over the internet faster when the national average of internet bandwidth is still far below that of Wi-Fi G speeds.
G. W. Wampler answered on September 2, 2010

A
You can hook up private channels with this unit. I have one called RoxBox. Then you can stream stuff to your roku box from the USB port on the back, using a thumb drive. You can also stream pics, music and movies/video files from your computer to your TV, using the roku XR device. I love this device and I am glad I got it! I have both the HD and the XR.
Robert Welborn answered on September 5, 2010

A
How do you stream from the PC to the Roku? I have the XR box and would like to know how to do this.
buyer answered on October 4, 2010
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product