5.0 out of 5 stars Great Monocular
First off, its 10-30x magnification, according to the instruction pamphlet. Using it that seems more likely than 15-55x

Looking at the moon as an example, less than half the size of a dime at arm's length, using this monocular on the lowest setting increased the size to the point I could see individual craters. Increasing it to its maximum setting, although...
Published on July 30, 2012 by ThatNineTailedFox

2.0 out of 5 stars Price is right
Published on October 18, 2012 by MISawbones

4.0 out of 5 stars Skeptical, but a good deal, July 18, 2012
This review is from: HDE® 15x - 55x Zoom 21mm Compact Monocular (Electronics)
Initially, I was skeptical about the monocular. Couldn't find any other reviews for this particular one, but 15 dollars is a minor amount to spend. Got it not too long ago, and I must say, it's impressive. I cannot think of any real downside except trying to stay steady when you're zoomed up to 55x, which there's a socket for a tripod to help with keeping steady.

Isn't the product's fault, but 55x21 doesn't capture a lot of light. It's good for use during the day, but if you're in a heavily shaded area or it's twilight, your view is going to be very dark.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pocket Viewing Telescope, July 25, 2012
This review is from: HDE® 15x - 55x Zoom 21mm Compact Monocular (Electronics)
I was surprised at the good quality that I was getting . It resembles a spotting scope that would cost more than 10 times what I paid for . And the zooming is neat also . Good quality and definitely not a toy .

5.0 out of 5 stars For $15 a usable monocular; Cheap and Good, August 27, 2012
Mike90125 (New Jersey Shore, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HDE® 15x - 55x Zoom 21mm Compact Monocular (Electronics)
Dont be fooled by negative reviews, they are comparing this with something that costs many times more. This will not give you the image of a $60 10x50 monocular, but it will give you a usable image for scanning at low powers. It also has a tripod screw to mount and avoid the vibrations in monoculars. Again, for the price, this is very good. Fiel of view is not the widest, but again, we are talking about a monocular that costs as much as a drink in a NY bar.

Five stars for price/image ratio.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, November 25, 2013
Steve (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HDE® 15x - 55x Zoom 21mm Compact Monocular (Electronics)
This works surprisingly well. I bought this on a whim since it was so cheap. I was having difficulty spotting rounds at a 100m shooting range with my old 10x25 binoculars. This helps a lot with the distance. The only difficulty is stabilizing your arm so you can see clearly at 55x. For $14 bucks, it was a good purchase, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff!, June 27, 2012
This review is from: HDE® 15x - 55x Zoom 21mm Compact Monocular (Electronics)
Very good optics and image quality, and picture looks very nice even with dim light, in the evening or indoors. Looks like real 55x on high zoom, but for me it seems more than claimed 15x on low zoom. something like 25x or so.

Considering its price it is really MUCH better than I expected to receive.

P.S. And disregard other reviews, I can easily hold it with high zoom and have a comfortable view.

5.0 out of 5 stars better than I thought it would be, August 31, 2012
This review is from: HDE® 15x - 55x Zoom 21mm Compact Monocular (Electronics)
I purchased a 10-30 mono a few years back and always found the image abit soft so I was sceptical about the product but for $15 i thought why not give it a go. Glad I did, as I said its better than I thought it would be. The extra zoom is the main reason so I can use it on the gun range when I didnt want to set up the spotting scope. Works better in bright light than low light but thats ok to me. A good little product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Price is right, October 18, 2012
This review is from: HDE® 15x - 55x Zoom 21mm Compact Monocular (Electronics)
I purchased this because I misplaced my binoculars and I had some Amazon money to spend. Initial impressions on receiving this are that it was smaller than I anticipated, almost concealable in the palm of my hand (but I could have read the dimensions and been forewarned). Mine came in a plastic bag inside a bag with a drying gel pack, was shipped in a bubblewrap lined envelope, and with a removable cap for the eyepiece but not for the other end, a lens cloth, a strap (with no directions for attachment), and it has a removable screw cover for the tripod mount socket. What bothers me is that, when fixed to my tripod, I can't operate the magnification or focus controls due to the location of the mounting socket. When using it, it's useful to zoom in from low to high magnification to center in on an object. At full magnification, I concur with other reviewers that it doesn't collect much light and is really more suitable for bright conditions at a long distance. Finally, the instructions for use were in Spanish (however, it only has 2 controls, so it is intuitive). For under 15 dollars, I can't complain too much. I do find the tripod probably is not needed since sitting with elbows resting on chair arms holds it steady enough. But while standing, I cannot hold it still enough to read a sign 200 feet away. I am regretting the purchase to some extent, kind of wishing I had gone with a binocular and will probably be doing that soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Excellent Buy -- Better than comparably priced alternatives, March 9, 2013
Paul L. Sailer (los angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HDE® 15x - 55x Zoom 21mm Compact Monocular (Electronics)
This is a truly excellent buy.

It has an enormous range of magnification, and decent clarity at even the highest magnification level.

With the highest levels of magnifition I can read street signs a city block away,- whose print is too small for me to read when I was standing across the street from the same sign.

This is much much higher magnification with about the same clarity as my 8 x 25 Nikon binoculars. Because of the much higher magnification it is possible to see details in far away objects that you cannot see with the Nikon--

That said-- It has-- as others have noted-- all the disadvantages of a small monocular::: shake, and very limited field of view at the higher magnification. levels. This is less an issue at the lowest magnification, but very much a factor as you go to higher magification levels.. This would be true of any small monocular with high magnification.

In addition, the focus ring requires fine movements to adust to best focus. There is not much rotation difference between being in and out of focus.. Finally it does not work closer than about 10 feet.

But for what it is-- at the price-- it is truly excellent,--
which is why despite its faults I give it five stars.

If you want something better,and are willing to pay a much higher price get a larger monocular with a much larger field of view.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price but not worth buying, and it stinks!, November 25, 2013
This review is from: HDE® 15x - 55x Zoom 21mm Compact Monocular (Electronics)
The reviews here are fair and factual. This scope is mediocre but about what you'd expect for the low price. Your subject has to be bright, because a lot of light gets lost in this thing. Cloudy day? Forget it. And at max zoom, things are pretty dark, even for things that started out brighter. Focus is less than great. The zoom power is quite amazing, whether it's really 55x or something less, however, the focus never gets very clear, especially at max zoom. Something nobody has mentioned and goes for a lot of things made in China with rubber on them - they all STINK! I mean this things reeks of poor quality rubber. If you're chemically sensitive, look for another scope made in Japan or the USA. China has not figured out how to make rubber - eyecups, rubber coverings, AC cords on drills, etc., feet on tripods, handles, knobs - all the rubber coming out of China (with a few exceptions) is toxic to breathe, and it outgasses for years and years. You can soak some of them in water with dish washing liquid to get the outer parts to shed the plasticizers that smell, but for some rubber items there is no hope. Just walk into Harbor Freight and hit that wall of poisonous gas from Chinese rubber - gasp. I wish I had found a better monocular for twice or three times the price. I prefer a more clear image, even if the zoom is less powerful, and a brighter image. This is really dark. Worth the price? Yes. Worth buying? No, not for me. I prefer better quality, and no smell. I'll give mine to a friend and look for another.

4.0 out of 5 stars HDE Compact Monocular 15-55x, September 24, 2012
Lowrider48 (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HDE® 15x - 55x Zoom 21mm Compact Monocular (Electronics)
As other reviewers have indicated, this monocular is an excellent buy at the current price. Although the magnification is listed on the website as 15-55 (and on the monocular itself), the instruction sheet specifies 10-30(x21) which is much more likely. Interestingly, the 1-page instruction sheet that came with my monocular is printed entirely in Spanish.

This monocular appears to be identical to a Brunton monocular which is available on Amazon for over double the price, and which is listed as 10-30(x21) power. I have the Brunton too, and except for the different power rating inscribed on the HDE version, I see no other difference (so far).

HDE® 15x - 55x Zoom 21mm Compact Monocular