5.0 out of 5 stars The flashlight has enough light for every day use and I am very happy with it
I've just had this flashlight a few days now but it seems to be working very well! The flashlight is for the palm--it is about 4" long, 2" wide and 1" deep. The instructions on the box don't really tell you anything. To keep the flashlight charged, you need to press the gray release button that is on the same side of the flashlight as the on/off button. You...
Published 25 days ago by gemhunter

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of Junk
[ Note added 2011-09-08: this light is *not* rechargeable! ] I got this a few weeks ago and, though it seemed pretty flimsy, I thought it was a good enough idea and inexpensive enough that it might be worth having a couple more around. But before buying any more, I wanted to try it out a bit.

It was very bright when I got it, but it was impossible to tell how...
Published on December 5, 2010 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of Junk, December 5, 2010
Amazon Customer (Baltimore Metro Area, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HDE® Hand-Powered 3 LED Flashlight (Misc.)

It was very bright when I got it, but it was impossible to tell how effective the generator was since the battery was fully-charged. So, I drained the battery by leaving the light on. This took awhile, a couple days, since LEDs are efficient, and this is no exception. After draining the battery, what I find is that the light is completely useless.

When cranking it with the power switch on, it lights as the handle is squeezed, and then quickly fades. Full intensity is never reached.

When cranking with the power off, even for a couple vigorous minutes, when the power switch is closed, there is no light emitted. None. The battery holds zero charge. All along I expected that the battery was a cheap NiCad, but now I suspect it's not even rechargeable.

My guess is that the positive reviews are from people who just got the light and haven't yet had to concern themselves with recharging it. If you want a nice little overpriced disposable flashlight (the design makes no provisions for replacing the battery), go ahead and get it. If you want a human-powered flashlight, try one of those that you shake up and down, but I'd try it out in person before buying. This particular light is a piece of junk, and, at least in the case of the one I got, not hand-powered in any realistic sense.

1.0 out of 5 stars Is this thing on?, January 4, 2011
Robert Burckhalter (Providence, RI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HDE® Hand-Powered 3 LED Flashlight (Misc.)
Doesn't work. If I put my hand up to the face of it in the dark I can see that there is a faint glow of light. That's it and no amount of winding makes it any brighter. Now, reading J. Martins's comment more closely, I think mine probably arrived with the batteries drained and won't charge because, as he says, the batteries aren't rechargeable.
Junk.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not hold a charge., September 17, 2012
This review is from: HDE® Hand-Powered 3 LED Flashlight (Misc.)
Does not hold a charge. Once the battery drains it is useless. You can crank it once for a second worth of light but the only way for it to keep illuminating is to keep cranking it and once you stop cranking; the light shuts off. Good only for a one time use.

1.0 out of 5 stars Caution!!!! Not what you think!, June 18, 2012
This review is from: HDE® Hand-Powered 3 LED Flashlight (Misc.)
This light is very deceptive. This is not a rechargeable light, if that is what you are looking to buy, look elsewhere. The on/off switch is run by non-rechargeable button batteries, for constant light. The hand crank and batteries are not connected, so cranking will not recharge them. Once the batteries run out, the only thing that will work is cranking. To get a constant light with cranking, you'd have to crank pretty fast and steadily, so good luck if you need a constant light for a long period of time.

2.0 out of 5 stars yes. it's a piece of junk., September 23, 2012
This review is from: HDE® Hand-Powered 3 LED Flashlight (Misc.)
will probably work for two weeks. however, after that.. try as you want, it will not function. if you want it for a very temporary period it will be your product. if you expect that it will work for long, don't buy this product! oh, and it breaks easily!

3.0 out of 5 stars Dont be fooled, December 26, 2012
This review is from: HDE® Hand-Powered 3 LED Flashlight (Misc.)
I was given one of these through a church reception. It really bright and works well. As other have stated, it is battery powered for a constant charge. If you want to squeeze it for light, you have to do it non stop. The squeeze trigger has nothing to do with the battery or any sort of capacitor. I took it apart to change the battery and saw the charge runs through a copper wire about the thickness as a strand of hair, which broke once i took it apart. I just gutted it and kept the batteries as there is no way in going to sit around squeezing this to get light. I still rated it a 3 stars because it does work when squeezed and the LED's are plenty bright. I recommend skipping this completely though and getting a quality LED light from a company that uses D batteries, or something that will run for years instead of toying with watch batteries and hand pumps. One a high note, the tether strap was a nice feature, though most flashlights come with a strap these days.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't hold charge. Save your cash., December 12, 2012
This review is from: HDE® Hand-Powered 3 LED Flashlight (Misc.)
I bought this flashlight for my car, thinking I'd save myself from the dread of needing a flashlight, but finding dead batteries. Boy was I wrong. I went for this little guy the other day and the battery was dead. So I turned the power off and cranked for a minute. Nothing. Seriously. I leave the power on and crank. It flashes as I crank down, but then turns off. I'm now the not-so-proud owner of a really lousy manual strobe light.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rechargability is so-so, September 27, 2012
This review is from: HDE® Hand-Powered 3 LED Flashlight (Misc.)
I bought about a dozen of these to give to various family members. After several weeks of use, some of them were dead; others were quite weak, despite attempts to recharge by squeezing the retractable fin; and some were still going strong. All in all, the quality is quite variable amongst the flashlights. I used mine to read at night, but after a few months, even with recharging, the glow was so faint that it wasn't worth using the light. If I buy more rechargable flashlights, I will buy something a little pricier but more reliable.

2.0 out of 5 stars this is made in China - low end item, December 21, 2011
This review is from: HDE® Hand-Powered 3 LED Flashlight (Misc.)
it's funny how they sell this at U$4.-- this piece of item is just being sold at U$1.50 here, and don't let the, no batteries needed fool you, yea it's usable, but after a few uses (cranks) the crank it self would lock up, and you can't use it any more. Overpriced at Amazon.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the time. Junk., August 26, 2014
This review is from: HDE® Hand-Powered 3 LED Flashlight (Misc.)
Two stars. It would be one if you could not still produce light from cranking. Some reviews have stated the batteries in the light were not rechargeable, and this is correct. These reviews further go and state it is: "deceptive advertising." Yes and no, depending on the wording :) Although the batteries inside are non-rechargeable alkaline thy can be "refreshed" to extend their life a little. In that regard the deceptive advertising is nuanced, and the manufacturer can claim they are "rechargeable." I ran the batteries down until dim and cranked the flashlight for various amounts of time. The result was only after many minutes of cranking did light output increase, as long as there was already energy in the battery. Once the batteries are completely dead the light is near useless. I attempted to replace the three batteries inside with one 3.6v lithium rechargeable. No luck on recharging yet. Do not buy. If you did buy one just start cranking when you see the light dim a little. Still, it's a losing battle. The batteries will fail eventually. Finally, when it fails do not throw it away because you can still get light out of them by constantly cranking. It's better than nothing in an emergency.

HDE® Hand-Powered 3 LED Flashlight