5.0 out of 5 stars Not what you think it is
Published on September 6, 2010 by Ash

1.0 out of 5 stars This cable is not supposed to connect a computer to a TV
This cable will not and is not supposed to connect a pc/mac/desktop/laptop to a TV.

even if you have TV out capabilities on your video card and the software to support it, this product will not work! It is not meant to link a computer to a TV.

do not buy this product if you are trying to hook up your computer to your TV. It will not work...
Published on November 5, 2009 by Ceta

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what you think it is, September 6, 2010
This review is from: HDE VGA Adapter to TV S-Video RCA Out Cable for PC Video (Electronics)
Ok first of all this product is only to hook something up to a computer monitor. If you think you can use this to hook up your computer to your tv your wrong and you need to look at the converters. It works wonders for what it was designed to do and I use it every time I play my xbox. Honestly nothing is better then having monitors hooked up instead of buying a second or third tv to play video games while someone is watching tv.

1.0 out of 5 stars This cable is not supposed to connect a computer to a TV, November 5, 2009

Without even trying it out, you can tell it will not work simply because the RCA cables have all 3 components two of which are audio! your VGA port on your computer is video only! this product is extremely misleading and is very attractive due to the price. Do not be fooled and do not waste your money!

you have been warned.

=========================================================================================================================
EDIT:
To those who have asked:

let me put it in a simple flow chart so you can understand what i'm saying.

VGA-> RCA

computer 1 -> (this bad cable) -> TV =does not work (no signal)

computer 2 (with proper capabilities) -> bad cable -> TV = does not work

computer 1 -> converter (seen in video) -> bad cable -> TV = does not work

Computer 1 -> converter (seen in video) -> actual good cable (not this one) -> works!

Computer 2 -> actual good cable (not this one) -> works!

RCA-> VGA

PS3 -> Female connector -> bad cable -> Monitor = does not work.

PS3 -> Female connector -> Good cable (not this one) -> Monitor -> works!

Imagine that.
For some magical reason when I use this "bad cable" in any form (to clarify again, even with an outside converter seen in the video comments) it never works! However when i use ANY other cable the signal magically starts working again.
which can mean one of two things 1) this cable is crap 2) there are magical invisible pidgins that only interfere with the signal when i try to use this cable.

5.0 out of 5 stars other reviewers are idiots, November 21, 2010
This product IS NOT to connect your computer to a TV.

It IS used to connect an RCA device like a video game system to a monitor with VGA input. It does what it is supposed to everyone else just doesn't know a thing about computers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply works, but most people don't seem to understand what this is for., April 26, 2011
I bought this specifically to play my Nintendo Wii on my monitor without having to buy one of the expensive $40 adapters sold elsewhere. Now I haven't used those, but this one works fantastic. It doesn't upscale, so the picture quality is what you would expect standard video to look like on your HD monitor, but for the price I didn't expect anything different. The product simply works for what it says it can do (which is NOT output TV onto in a monitor) and is extremely cheap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works just as it is supose to, October 22, 2011
RCA or S-video to VGA. That is how this adaptor works. It will not work the other way. I use it For Xbo360, PS2 and WII to my pc monitor. Do not try to use it the other way (VGA to RCA/S-video) it will NOT work.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't even work with GTX 260, September 1, 2009
Despite the negative reviews I bought one of these. I thought, "These people probably don't know what they're doing I'll be fine." I tried the cable with my laptop which was the reason I bought it and, like others, my laptop said it couldn't find an external monitor. I have used the vga on my monitor to connect directly to my HDTV before just fine so I knew it should work. I tried using the s-video end as well as the RCA end (trying both the yellow cable and connecting all three despite the fact that VGA doesn't transmit audio) both with no luck.

The only 5 star review for this product says that you need to support TV Out (my laptop does) and that you need software (my laptop should). Taking my testing one step further I tried to use this product with my GTX260 a fairly new graphics card on my desktop computer and it still did not work.

I think I can confidently say that this product (and possibly all similar products) does not work. There are only two slightly positive reviews for this product and neither of them provide any form of helpful information for how to get it to work. I think amazon should remove the product from the website as it does not work for the majority of purchasers, if at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointment, May 5, 2010
I bought this too thinking it SHOULD work for me. My purpose was to use it to hook up my PS2 to my VGA monitor.
as the title says its disappointing. The monitor did not detect VGA connection at all. If you are planning to use this to hook up your game console, this is not an answer.

2.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps I was confused?, July 1, 2010
The product description here looks pretty straightforward. "VGA Adapter to TV S-Video RCA Out Cable for PC Video" seems to imply that this would be used to send a video signal from a PC to a television screen. The reviews seem to say that this does not work.

At least one review said the adapter worked for the purpose of sending a video signal from a game console (Xbox 360) to a computer screen, which is what I wanted to do and the reason I bought this. However, I am unable to use this cable in either way. I tried with several consoles (NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube) to connect to my VGA monitor without success. Just to be sure, I tried to use the adapter to connect my laptop to a TV, which doesn't work either.

I'm a fairly capable guy, but I really can't tell whether I bought a junk product that does nothing or if it has some mysterious function which I haven't imagined. Searching around the internet, it seems that you need some kind of signal converter box in order to connect a RCA console to a VGA input, rather than a simple adapter plug.

I don't really know. I'm just going to call this a $7 lesson and save up for a screen with RCA inputs next time. Buyer beware, I guess, or just do more research than I did.

4.0 out of 5 stars For Other Devices!, April 12, 2012
This adapter is supposed to be used to plug RCA output devices into a computer monitor. For instance any gaming system, DVD player or VCR; it is NOT supposed to be used as a laptop output!

If you use the product for it's intended purpose, it works FANTASTIC! I love this for watching movies on my computer monitor since my CD/DVD drive went out on my PC and I couldn't watch movies using that anymore.

Do some research people--don't give a wonderful product a crappy rating just because you don't know what it's actually supposed to do!

5.0 out of 5 stars WORKS GREAT, March 26, 2011
you people need to look more into these products.... it has female AV which means it will not work at all connecting a computer to a tv, they make those cables as well, those cables have male AV so it'll plug into a tv, sure no sound goes through VGA but that's why i have a giant bass amp to use as a speaker

Rate and Discover Movies