4.0 out of 5 stars Incredible for the price -- but not for all applications
This is, by far, the cheapest option right now for a comparable length USB MIDI interface cable: a measly $6. For those who want a straight answer: yes, it works. For me. If yours doesn't, HDE has a great return policy.

PROS:
- Very easy setup, driver installs automatically within seconds
- Windows XP, Vista 32 and 64-bit compatible
- Very cheap,...
Published on April 1, 2009 by Benjamin T. Paric

2.0 out of 5 stars Works ONLY if you DON'T use the pedal on your keyboard
Published on November 2, 2011 by J. Sonomura

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredible for the price -- but not for all applications, April 1, 2009
This review is from: HDE USB MIDI Cable Converter PC to Music Keyboard (Electronics)

PROS:
- Very easy setup, driver installs automatically within seconds
- Windows XP, Vista 32 and 64-bit compatible
- Very cheap, while offering an authentic USB MIDI interface

CONS:
- Cord is a little too short for me--about 5 feet
- High latency. Latency is the time it takes for input from your keyboard to reach your computer, and in my experience the latency for this interface is really high--around a quarter to three quarters of a second. This makes it very hard to play live accompaniment to background music you've created. However, if you disable MIDI playback in your sequencing program and just listen to the notes as they're played on your keyboard, you can shift all of the notes in your program after you've finished and it works just fine. It's a couple extra steps per song, or a couple dozen more dollars for a faster cord :3
- Those lights on the converter are annoying!

NOTES
- When setting up, if you are getting no sound, try switching the MIDI IN/OUT ports on your input device. On Yamaha products, "MIDI IN" goes into the keyboard's "MIDI OUT" port, etc. so you can't just match them up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for synthesia, May 3, 2009
Quick note: make sure the 'In' plug goes into your 'Out' on your keyboard and vice-versa.
I bought this to work with a game like guitar hero, but for the piano, Synthesia. The game plays the notes on your computer screen, and then the music comes out your keyboard (best to prevent lag).
I experience practically no lag when working with Mixcraft, using the sound driver "Wave-RT" in the settings. Mixcraft is a fun music recording studio program.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works for me on my Mac, July 27, 2010
Sophie (California) - See all my reviews
I am a newbie to Garageband and quickly realized that I needed a MIDI keyboard. I already had an old Casio from the '90's but no cables to attach to my Macbook Pro. I was close to buying the M-Audio interface that costs $40, but I didn't want to spend too much money as this is only a hobby. So I bought this cheapy thing not knowing if it would work. Well, I plugged in one of the MIDI outputs into my keyboard and stuck the USB end into the Macbook, thinking that the next step would be to hunt for and install a driver, but Garageband immediately recognized my Casio keyboard and I was able to use it right away! I was so stoked because I saved myself a lot of money.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cable did what I wanted for a great Price, March 26, 2010
I bought this cable so that I could use my Yamaha YPT-320 keyboard with my laptop computer, with an emphasis on using it with Synthesia.

I was initially discouraged at buying this product, because some reviews said it may not work with all hardware configurations, but I figured for the price (about eight-ish dollars after shipping), that I could take the risk, rather than spend $30 on a similar cable that had possible no greater chance of working.

I'm glad I did. The cable works as I expected it. I initially was confused about the IN-OUT method of the ports, but figured it out. The lights on the cable light up when the cable is receiving a transmission from either the USB side or MIDI side of the cable, which was very useful in troubleshooting technicalities and configurations. The Blue light on the Midi side of the port is a little bit too bright and a little blinding if facing right at the user, but this really doesn't detract from the functionality of the cable.

Construction of the cable felt sturdy.

Windows 7 X64 edition set up the cable, and selecting the USB Midi Connection in Synthesia, setting my YPT-320 to PC2 I was able to jam away. I could even have the program playback notes to the keyboard. I did not notice any major lag between the program and the keyboard through the cable.

I also briefly tested the same setup with the FL Studio 9 trial, and it seemed to work equally.

I would recommend this product, cheap and functional.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, January 2, 2009
Works perfect, just make sure you plug it into the same USB drive every time to avoid repetitive driver installs.

2.0 out of 5 stars Works ONLY if you DON'T use the pedal on your keyboard, November 2, 2011
Okay, I bought this item to hook up my keyboard with garageband, and at first, when I set it up, it didn't work at all, but then I realized what was wrong. The cables are marked MIDI OUT and MIDI IN. The one marked MIDI OUT goes into the IN, and MIDI IN goes into the OUT. SADLY THERE IS ANOTHER PROBLEM, it does work, but when I use the pedal for the keyboard, it registers it as another note, so I can't use the pedal. So if you are just using the keyboard, this should work, but if you like to use the pedal like I do, you'll have to pay more for a better one. hope this helps.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected Result, March 31, 2011
I purchased this adapter to connect my Roland CV30 to a new computer I have on order. On my current computer the CV30 was connected through a Turtle Beach sound card, and using Finale 2007, that setup worked very well.
Today, when I substituted the USB MIDI Cable Converter for the Santa Cruz Sound card, I noted that certain keypresses (so far a G above middle C, and middle C, and an F about 2 octaves above middle C, caused the output sound to hang; all notes in the measure sound continuously. I had to minimize the Finale window to stop the sound.
Unless I can discover a "work-around" this adapter will be useless for my purpose (music entry) Obviously, if I were to play live in a perfomance, these "ciphers" would be distracting to say the least.

Chances are that I will have to search for a current sound card with MIDI controller.

1.0 out of 5 stars Either Dead on Arrival or not Mac Compatible., September 17, 2009
This product specifies that it's Mac compatible with OS X. Either that's outright inaccurate or the device is entirely dead. No lights will come on when it's plugged in, but the keyboard crashes when it's plugged in.

Yes, I noted which plug was supposed to go into which port. Tried this with two separate computers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly, excellent value, April 10, 2010
I was looking for a USB/MIDI interface compatible with Vista 64. I had seen some more expensive interfaces advertised, but their reviews seemed pretty inconsistent. This interface cable seemed to have very consistent reviews, and for less than $7.00 (including shipping) I felt it worthy a try. I have to say it exceeded my expectations. Installation was a snap (I just plugged it in and Vista detected it). After I downloaded a tool to set my MIDI output device for Vista, I was enjoying listening to MIDI files on my keyboard via Media Player. I tried recording some simple midi sequences as well, and did not notice any issues with latency reported in some of the reviews. The notes appeared in the sequencer as soon as I played them from the keyboard. Overall I can say this is a great product to try. I received the cable within five days of ordering as well. Great experience using Amazon, as always.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Affordable and Works Great!, April 5, 2010
Neither my new PC or my laptop have a game/midi port, so I needed this type of converter. I had to stay within a small budget. Many of the other converters I searched and looked at started at 8 times the cost of this one. For the price, I had to try this one. It works great! I find it to be very low in latency, much better than the game/midi port type. Now I am able to connect all my midi devices to my PC and laptop. Cable lengths seem to be fine. Red and Green LED lights indicate connectivity and indicate a signal being sent. So far I have had no complaints about this converter, and if it ever quits working, I haven't lost a bunch of money in the process.