All one-star reviewers were trying to convert a VGA (analog) signal into an HDMI (digital) signal and expecting this cable to do that for them. This adapter does the opposite (HDMI to VGA), and works perfectly.
Published 17 months ago by Zach Moorhead-Rosenberg

3.0 out of 5 stars This works - but don't expect a great picture
This worked instantly, but unless I did something wrong, the picture wasn't great. Lots of blur and not usable for the purpose I had intended(Photoshop editing). But it did work.
Published 15 months ago by Leonard Bernstein

5.0 out of 5 stars Only works for HDMI to VGA conversion, not the other way around., September 7, 2013
This review is from: HDE 1080p HDMI Male to VGA Female Video Converter Adapter Cable for PC, TV, Laptops, DVD Players, and Other HDMI Devices (Personal Computers)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for use with raspberry pi, October 18, 2013
Ideal for use with raspberry pi, it allow use the vga interface for display. The quality is good, the price nice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Connects new computer to old monitor, September 22, 2013
This does not connect old computer to new monitor, if that is what you need don't buy this. This is a 1 way converter, HDMI to VGA not the other way around. All the 1 star reviews did not read the description before they purchased it. This worked great connecting my brand new laptop to my old monitor.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does just what it says it will do, and does it well., August 18, 2013
This product does just what it is supposed to do, and does it well. I use it to connect my new laptop (which has an HDMI port, but no VGA port) to a VGA cable. Don't forget that for connecting HDMI to VGA, VGA does not carry audio. My only gripe is that the locking screws didn't line up well with my VGA cable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Functions Correctly, But Finicky, August 24, 2013
I bought this so that I could connect my PS3's HDMI port to my montior's VGA port. There are no instructions, so it might not be entirely intuitive to everyone that you need to plug the female VGA part of the converter into the male end of a VGA cable.

I subtracted a star because I had to seat the VGA cable very well in the converter to get a solid connection. Even screwed in tightly, bumping or jostling it even a tiny bit messes up the signal.

Otherwise, it works great right out of the package.

In short: You need a VGA cable and you must make sure to very firmly seat the VGA cable into the converter's (female) VGA connector.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, July 14, 2013
This unit has the converter chip built in and is very small. I use it at my school to connect my Apple TV to my projector. It does a good job converting the signal with no perceived loss (not counting the fact that the signal is no longer HD, but that is why I bought it). I do, of course, have to run the audio to my sound system with other cables, but that's what my room is set up for. If you need the sound converted too, you need to purchase one that specifically lists that in the specs. If you only need the picture, though, this one will work great.

5.0 out of 5 stars worked great to hook up second monitor to my pc, May 6, 2013
worked great to hook up a second monitor to my pc via the hdmi port. I have so much more desktop, I love it.

3.0 out of 5 stars This works - but don't expect a great picture, October 18, 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars DID NOT WORK, March 17, 2014
On one computer, the converter produced a picture that was so intermittent that it was unusable. On another computer, it did not work at all (blank screen). Many other reviewers have had the same problem. I strongly recommend that you buy a different converter, as you will likely have to anyway if you try this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Works, but horrible picture, February 3, 2014
MikeyWy (Palm Beach, FL) - See all my reviews
We ordered 10 of these for our office. I hooked up an external Dell 17" monitor to my Dell E6430 laptop with this adapter to find that the picture was blurry, and black text was gray. I thought it was the monitor at first, so i swapped monitors and had the same issue. I tried another adapter we had ordered previously from Amazon and picture was perfect. We tried the adapter in a Dell Optidesktop computer and had the same blurry picture. I went ahead and tested each and every adapter and had the same bad picture. All 10 will be going back to Amazon for a refund!