Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on October 5, 2010
1. Don't buy an extra SATA cable if you need it. It comes with one.
2. Make sure you have at least two inches of free space between the back of the hard drive and any other object (typically the power supply)
3. This adapter is reversible, and does SATA to IDE, or IDE to SATA.
4. There are two plugs for the SATA cable. One is for IDE to SATA, the other is for SATA to IDE. Each one is clearly marked on both sides of the board.
5. The power plug that plugs into the board ONLY powers the adapter, NOT the drive. You'll still need a power plug going directly to the drive.

If you're plugging a SATA drive into a computer that only supports IDE (or vice-versa), don't expect SATA performance. I really wouldn't treat this as a permanent solution either. It's great for transferring data from old drives, but I wouldn't install my operating system on it, as it does decrease the performance of the drive significantly.
22 comments|85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 2, 2010
If you look at the device very carefully, reading the tiny print on it, you'll figure it out, but otherwise, it's easy to install it incorrectly causing it to seem broken. It's especially easy to make this mistake because at first you probably won't notice that there are 2 places to connect the cable to the adapter, and so may plug it into the wrong one as I did at first.

Also, the power adapter that comes with it is just for the device itself, not for your hard drive as I thought. Had to order a power adapter before I could test this device out because I was installing a SATA drive in a computer that didn't provide SATA power.

Finally, as others have mentioned, it is very flimsy, especially the power adapter, but I'm rating it 3 stars overall because in the end, it worked. If it had a manual, installation would be easy and I would rate it much higher. It works without any drivers or software, and that's a good thing. Even after installing it correctly though, I had to fiddle with it before it would work. I've been using it long enough to see that it's reliable once it works. If you can't get it to work, don't expect any help from the supplier.
on February 3, 2010
Works like it says. It actually speeds up the performance of the PATA drive also. I did benchmarks using ATTO hard drive benchmark tool. Max SATA Speed: Read: 85.899 MB/s Write: 84.813 MB/s. Max PATA Speed: Read: 32.147 MB/s Write: 31.767 MB/s. That's a great improvement! It could have used some better instructions though. Be sure to set your PATA hard drive jumper to Master.
on December 12, 2011
I upgraded my brothers motherboard, and of course everthing on the board was SATA. I purchased 2 of these for the hard drive and CDROM. 1 burned up and the other errored out my startup. I finally purchased 2 more from a different location and they worked fine. Maybe it was just bad luck, who knows. Doubt it though. Buy at your own risk.
on June 27, 2011
I bought two of these. Well I got what I payed for, neither worked! They both came in a plastic bag only with no instructions, label or any packaging of any kind. Regardless of the jumper settings I tried neither would function. Circuit boards were the worst I have ever seen! Cold soldier joints and scorching from a hot plate that was set on to high of a temerature. The IDE connector was not even soldiered straight with the board on one of them. I bought two Vantec units and they worked perfectly.
on March 1, 2012
I bought this item because I have a brand new sata board (gigabyte ga m68mt-s2) but alas, no sata drives (the last of mine being broken). I still had a 500 GIG IDE drive w/8 MB cache that (if this gizmo works) i wanted to be my boot drive.

I read many reviewers saying how flimsy this is; I was ready for a let down. I found it to be surprisingly solid. I would not want to pull it off and on the drive over and over but with a little care while handling (AKA common sense)I had no troubles with workmanship.

I think for me it was easy enough to hook up.

I'm pretty sure another commenter said to boot this unit ONCE WITHOUT a powered drive. There may be some validity to doing that. I found it unnecessary (the same result (flushing the boot order) can be achieved by using BIOS reset or load bios defaults). I made sure that my IDE drive was set as/to master (this is important because this adapter simply wont see anything if the drive has not been set this way). I found that the controller markings are easy to read and understand where which are the correct merging connections. So snapping them together was easy also.

On to the moment of truth: POWER ON The BIOS' first scan for hard drives was successful. This scan is always made before the "Windows Boot Manager". I was relieved that Windows was ready to install onto this IDE drive and I could put off buying another SATA hard drive for a month or two (or longer though I'll prefer sooner since IDE IS slower than what my motherboard is capable of).

I expected the speeds to be the same as the Drive's capability and it is. The drive even seems quieter and,(albeit only slightly) faster when running through this Controller.

Bottom line: This device will boot your IDE hard drive from a sata header with very little know how [It could be true that having a new (2011) BIOS helps though I cant say whether this is vital or not. My guess would be NOT].
44 comments|16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 14, 2010
The card that I received was still covered with some type of flux. 90% of the hand soldered joints were cold soldered. I had to remove the original solder (probably lead acid) and re-solder with better solder. After I repaired the card it seams to work. Don't buy unless you know how to solder and have a can of Flux Off
on October 20, 2011
Didn't work at all. I'm an A+ certified computer technician with over a decade of experience building and repairing PCs. I tried the item with three different IDE drives (variously jumpered the drives as Master, Slave, Cable Select, and Master with Slave present). Tried the adapter on two different PCs. Neither PC's bios ever detected any of these drives.

Seemed to me product was very poorly soldered. No instructions included but I didn't need any, it's fairly obvious how to hook in. Very disappointed. Returned for refund.
on December 29, 2011
This adapter is good but the labeling is backward. You must plug the SATA cable coming from the motherboard into the "IDE host -> sata HDD" plug, and then the IDE drive works. Use the "SATA host -> IDE HDD" plug and the IDE drive you try to plug in does not work.

Bad grammar and labeling, but for the price I cannot complain once I got it to work.

I bought this off of Ebay for $4, but the package and unit are exactly the same.
on April 9, 2012
This product is junk, I attached it properly and messed around with it for a while. The computer never knew the hard drive was there, even while the light was on to verify that the adapter was 'working'. This was a waste of my time and money.