5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a champ - so far
Published 8 months ago by J2014G

2.0 out of 5 stars Good while it lasted....
I bought a new head unit for my 07 Toyota Tacoma and decided to install a Backup Camera. I have to rate this Backup Camera 2 stars.

Published 6 months ago by Chris

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a champ - so far, March 19, 2014
This review is from: HDE E336 Waterproof Rear Vehicle Backup Camera With 170 degree Viewing Angle (Electronics)
I've used two different $15-18 back up cameras that are on the plastic strip that attach to the top of the license plate frame. Both old cameras were not sealed and water fogged the inside, making them essentially useless. The internal LEDs added insult to injury when the lens was fogged on the old cameras. Their night vision and clarity of their picture was only fair, even when new.

This device is amazing in the clarity, color and night vision it provides. Just blew me away as compared to the others. I used the old plastic strip and used short screws to fix this camera to the license plate and that was it. Been through a rainy month in Georgia and so far so good. If any degradation happens I will repost here.

The quality of construction is better than the other plastic cameras but the real test is in the quality of vision it provides, especially at night. I rode in a friends new GM SUV with their back up camera and this device was ever bit as capable but has better color. What made it so nice was the pavement at night shows up well so you can tell if there is any object in the way.. .

UPDATE: As of April 2014, this camera continues to work flawlessly, even with a month of heavy rains. No problem with internal moisture fogging the lens. Crystal clear vision is great and colors are true. This camera does not have IR LEDs to light up the pavement, rather the vehicle back up lights have to be used for illuminating the area behind the vehicle. As you might tell, I really like this gadget.

4.0 out of 5 stars First impressions: solidly built, great image, very happy, November 12, 2013
I just bought two of these for my Honda Element. I figured at this price, why not get two? If it fails or gets busted or something, I'll have a spare ready to install. Right out of the package I liked it. It seems solidly built, seams and finishes, etc, all look like "quality stuff". Just like the picture, it has a sort of charcoal black/chrome finish that should go well with just about any vehicle. The small instruction booklet is written in poor english, but can be understood. It says it will fit in any "keyhole" (in some aftermarket installations - if you never use your key, just your remote - you can remove the lock cylinder from your trunk lid and install the camera in the hole for a "flush" professional look)... but there were no additional grommets, seals or trim for that type of install. I just installed it like most people do - outside the vehicle, bolt onto the bottom side of a horizontal surface (install with screws going "up") and run the wire straight into the hatch through a nearby hole. Many people will need to drill a hole somewhere, and to pass the connectors through, that hole will have to be almost 1/2 inch diameter (and of course, there's no grommet supplied to plug that hole when you're done). I've never installed one of these before, but managed to figure it out with about 3 hours work. The hardest part is getting the wiring neatly run from the camera into the vehicle, then under and behind trim panels, etc, all the way up to the dash (wired to my in-dash Pioneer DVD). Once up and running, the picture was excellent. Can't complain about the image one bit, day or night - very clear.
There are red / yellow / green grid lines in the image, but do NOT necessarily mean that "just park it between the green lines and you're safe". They work only as a reference point (and you have to make sure you never bump the mounting position of the camera, or your reference points will change). Other reviewers are right: objects ARE much closer than they appear. But I think it just takes some getting used to. Example: If you look in my rear view mirror, and see a car behind you nearly fill your view out the rear window, well that car is probably at least 12 or 20 feet behind you. If you look at my back-up camera screen and see a car nearly filling the screen, THAT car is about 6 inches from my rear bumper!
It is advertised as "170 degree Viewing Angle". I don't know how they could possibly come up with that. What I see on the display screen in my car is about 100 degree view. Still it is about what I expected to see. And I'm pleased. My local installer wanted about $400 to put his brand of camera in my car (and he didn't want to be too specific about the model number, brand, etc). I installed this my self for under $25. I am super happy with the purchase so far. Will follow up in a few months to let you know if it's still working, etc.

May 21, 2014 - Follow-up: I've probably driven about 5000 miles since installed, and it still works great. It has been through a Carolina winter (chillier than most this year, but not like a Yankee winter). I've only washed the car a few times, and seen some rain... no leaks, or other problems yet. In the rain, droplets on lens will blur the image, but dries off eventually. Backing up into direct sunlight (near sunrise or sunset) it is almost impossible to see anything... but, that's to be expected. Overall, still satisfied. Still 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the money, GREAT PURCHASE!, April 2, 2013
This device is FANTASTIC. Some reviews here will make you believe otherwise, but after owning for over 6 months now I feel that it was well worth the money and that the others were unfortunately recipients of defective units. I actually plan on purchasing another one for my future vehicle. If has been rained on, cover in road salt, and in below freezing temps this winter and has never failed. All I have to do is wipe the lens every now and then and it is good to go. Color and clarity are much better than I expected to be. Even in low light conditions the device functions well. The only problem i had was in very dark hours of the night with little or no ambient light but I easily combatted that by simply replacing my ORIGINAL reverse lamps! Its not the camera's fault the lights were dim and you are not paying for an Infrared/Nightvision cam so the fact I can still see at night is great. I self-installed a Gentex Mirror and then the backup camera between the license plate lamps on my 06 Trailblazer which was easy. Drilled a hole BEHIND the lic plate and ran the cables through to the back panel of the hatch where i ran the wires with the rest of the wiring of the vehicle. No visible wires or cables at all that way. Everyone that rides in my car comments on it and I've been asked several times to do this for others in their vehicles.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST FOR THE PRICE, August 5, 2013
awesome camera, has a clear and crisp image with no interference or fuzziness at all id buy 100 more before i bought anything else. its unbelievable that you can get such an awesome product for under $15

5.0 out of 5 stars works very well., December 2, 2013
Haven't used it much but it was quite easy to install on RV. Its very small and produces a good picture. Can be used with any monitor or GPS with A/V input... provided you get an adapter for the RCA plug to a mini-a/v plug.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, December 12, 2013
I purchased this as a replacement for my own broken camera. For only about 15 dollars this camera is great. It does what it's supposed to and it has a good image on the monitor.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good while it lasted...., May 20, 2014

I absolutely loved this camera while it was working.The installation was fairly simple, I chose to wire my camera to a 12v power source instead of the brake light so I could view my camera at any time and not just when I placed the vehicle in reverse. I installed the camera directly on the licence tag by removing the top right screw that holds the tag in place and placing the crew through the camera mount and replacing the screw.

The Good ...The picture quality was great during the day and was acceptable at night. I also found the permanent built in distance grid was very useful. The camera also displays a mirror image.

The Bad ... After one month of use and one car wash all appeared good no problems whatsoever. I live in the southeast and we just experience record breaking and torrential rains. That may have been a bit to much for this camera,last week the camer is no longer usable as the image is now foggy.

It's probably an okay camera for dry climates.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, please. I'll take one., March 30, 2014
Great for the money. Really happy with it. Installed it on my 2006 Subaru Impreza and it was easy enough. You can unscrew it from the base easily and flip the orientation (and rescrew it to the mount). The picture is fairly crisp and clean in both bright light and low light for me. Overall quite happy with the purchase.

EDIT - Aug 2014 - still running like a champ after rain + car washes. Picture looks like day 1. Still quite awesome. Def quite happy with my purchase!

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT WATERPROOF, July 29, 2014
Amazon Customer (APO, AE United States) - See all my reviews
This is a great camera HOWEVER IT IS NOT waterproof at all. I drove through one rain and it failed. I took it apart and there was water inside it on the circuit board. Beware you will need to seal it up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well if it doesn't overheat - select mounting location carefully., July 27, 2014
Camera picture is excellent. Unit is very compact and a great value for the money.

I was using this camera as a "rear view" camera on an RV so it was on all the time. Please be aware that the module that splits out the Video and Power signals gets extremely HOT. My unit failed after a short while because I had secured that module with a tie wrap and it overheated and melted. Had I known about the heat issue, I could have mounted it a different way and suspect I could have avoided the failure but there was no warning in the "instructions" with the unit. There was also nothing to warn that is should be used "intermittently" and not be on "constantly."