Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: HDE 6 LED USB PC Webcam Web Camera + Night Vision for Desktop PC Laptop Notebook, MSN, ICQ, AIM, Skype, Net Meeting
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on October 1, 2010
It's not high resolution, but it's great quality anyway.

It's virtually no set up, just plug it into your USB port and go! You may have to restart your computer with it plugged in if it doesn't work the first time.

No, there's no mic attached, but it's a $10 digital camera and most laptops have mics built in (like mine) so I didn't worry about it.

The light brightness is adjustable with a little knob on the cord (like those old-fashioned lights with the rotating on/off switch)

The lights are the perfect color to convey a real color image.

I live hundreds of miles from friends and family and I'll soon be living thousands of miles away, it's great to keep in touch!

For $10, you won't find better!
on September 12, 2009
I brought this cam and after using it ONLY ONCE it stopped working. Total waste of money buy some thing better than this.
on January 13, 2010
I'm a old and frequent customer of Amazon.com but am very disappointed with this transaction.

This camera came with a micro dvd and no instructions. There is no Mfg. p/n or model number on the camera or the dvd.

Plug and play did not work. I tried multible times to load the software and drivers and was unable to make it work.

I have extensive experience with computers and this episode has gotten me totally disgusted.

L.Fuechtmann
on June 3, 2011
I was looking for a camera with infrared sensitivity in order to check to see how IR light lasers were working. There are lots of things that can do this. Kids Nightvision toys, Security cams, Baby monitors, stuff like that In fact, video camera makers have to take special effort to keep their product. They have to make it more expensive to build. Because the electronic element that detects the light does not care if some photon is visible spectrum or infra-red. All it cares about is 'got photons!'

So when I see a camera surrounded by clear lens LEDs, I think its like many other IR devices out there. Especially when the product name has the words NIGHT and VISION in the title. I thought "Those are IR LEDs, and its been left IR sensitive." Because who wants to skype with a flashlight shining in their eyes?

WRONG. They are white LEDs (and if memory serves, white light LEDs cost more than IR LEDs), and you ARE supposed to skype with a flashlight shining on your face. But at least they do give you a knob to adjust the intensity of said light.

Anyway, if it is an IR camera you are looking for, you CAN make do with this. Unscrew the lens. On the back is a small square filter plate welded to the lens stack with small plastic blobs. Slice off the welds with an xacto knife, flick off the filter and throw it away. Your camera now sees IR light clearly.

You are still stuck with white light LEDs if you want to use the LEDs though.

And while you do get OK video from the device, if the thrill of your skyping in the dark experience might be affected by a substantial fraction of a second video delay, this may not be the product for you.
on April 8, 2009
I bought 2 of these cameras for family, so we could keep in touch (using skype)while I am abroad. The camera's add states it's perfect for video conferencing and skype, so I guess it is my fault that I interpreted his to mean that it had a mic, that you could hear the person using it, NOPE. Very disappointing. The people I gave it to say the lights on it are too bright and blind them, and I have noticed the poor picture quality. Not impressed.
22 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 1, 2010
This is a low quality camera that cannot keep up with even the slowest movements. It works right out of the "bag" and the lights are bright. Those two things are they only positive things about this camera. It amuses me that some people say this camera has a Mic included let me set the record straight IT DOES NOT! I have used this camera on Skype and AIM and at the end of the day it is just not worth the money. Please do not buy this camera as there are better cameras out there. I am using the old xbox live vision camera in place of this one. If you have used that camera before you will know that is saying a lot.
on June 21, 2010
The camera comes in a box. No instructions, no notes on how to install, no directions, no hint of a web site to go to for help.
Doesn't work at all with XP, barely works with Vista.
Seller says it should start up automatically when installed. It doesn't.
55 comments|12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 20, 2012
PROs:
- You are paying $5 for a web cam with mediocre visual quality.
- It has LED lights that you can manually control to brighten up the area in front of camera.
- Windows 7 plug and play. I plugged it in and it downloaded the drivers and was working in about 15 seconds.
- Works great for Google Hangouts, Skype, etc. Just don't expect to be able to see the person you are talking to's acne scars.
- Did I mention it was cheap?

CONs:
- The quality is a little crappy, but it works just fine.
- No mic. The description says nothing about including a mic, so why are people complaining? As a colleague of mine says, RTFD. Read The Description.
- Fairly short USB cable. I suppose an extension cable could work for you.
- Has a circular base and frame making it nearly impossible to mount on anything. I rigged it with a rubberband on my monitor stand. I'll post a picture.
review image
on January 3, 2013
I bought a few of these thinking that I was going to make a USB cam-based security system. Doh! Apparently night vision = little LEDs that light up in the visible spectrum. Silly me, but I was expecting infrared. Perhaps I will sell some generic flashlights and call them "night vision torches." The usb camera functioned ok, but the base is flimsy and broke easily. You get what you pay for?
on May 1, 2013
I wish that it came with more detailed instructions, but I plugged it into my Windows 7 computer and nothing happened. I then went to my Windows Live Movie Maker and clicked on webcam and it started viewing/recording video. That was ok, but I wanted to take still shots with the webcam. The tiny documentation that did come with the webcam had a driver download page and it said it uses a webcam software called AMCAP. Well, I could never get the software to install on either of my computers. This led me to go find my own random webcam software on the CNET Download website. I chose Facebook MSN Video Chat Fun software. It allows me to record video and take still snapshots and it also has some cool frames and distortions you can add to your images. This webcam has 6 lights on it and it lit well in the dark. The light control is on the cord. It also has some kind of button on top, but I have yet to figure out what it does. If anyone knows chime in and tell us. It would also be nice if everyone that bought this camera tell us what software they are using to work it. The video/image quality was alot better than I had expected, but it is still very basic. At the moment it works good enough for now for the price.