Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

Length: 5-PortChange

on October 8, 2010
I just installed this switch in order to be able to use one HDMI input on my receiver for both a PS3 and an XBox 360. It worked perfectly, first time. It comes with an AC/DC adapter and a remote, but please note that those are optional-- you only need power if you want to use the remote, as the switch draws power from the HDMI system, so it works just fine as a passive switch (even lighting up the LEDs appropriately to show which device is selected) if you only want to use the on-board "Select" button. Even though I don't use the added items, this 5-input device has turned out to be a great device for a great price.

One other note: HDMI cables are pretty new on the scene. I'm using the really cheap ones (which work just as well as the really expensive ones-- it's digital, people, not analog!), and they fit just fine. I suspect that complaints about cable size and like issues will go away with devices like this one, which is in the mainstream of HDMI specs.

UPDATE - April 2011 - After six months, the switch is still working great. I also want to report that we never have to use the Select button, because the automatic switching works seamlessly. That is, when the PS3 is off and the XBox is on, the switch automatically selects the XBox. Turn off the XBox and turn on the PS3, and the switch, um, switches. No fiddling required. My sons don't even know it's there.
1010 comments117 of 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 3, 2010
This little HDMI device impressed me with its small size, simplicity, & versatility. It enables up to 5 HDMI output devices, say DVD PLayers to feed either auto-sequencially or manually to a single TV/Monitor. I couldn't believe this little unit came with an effective Remote control. Small price, dynamite device; able to hang with the big guys no problem; as good as most of its more expensive & larger counterparts. Recommended .
0Comment32 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 24, 2012
I have owned this product for about 9 months, and it has worked great. The remote and A/C power are a nice option, but I have not found them to be necessary since the switcher does a good job of automatically switching to the device you are trying to use.
To avoid switching trouble and the need to keep another remote around, just remember that the device will automatically switch to the lowest numbered port with an adequate signal strength. That is, if two devices are powered on, the switch will use the signal from the device in port 1 instead of the signal in port 5. If you power down device 1 in port 1, and device 5 is powered on through port 5, the switcher will start showing the port 5 signal. I hope that makes sense!
Where I think people are having trouble is when they unknowingly have multiple devices powered on at the same time. Some devices continue to operate in the background even though powered off (most internet enabled devices and cable DVR boxes will continue to draw power in the background even when 'off'). For example, my Apple TV box is always working in the background; the solution is to put it in port 5 so that it gets lowest priority. If it was in port 1, it could interfere with other devices every time it automatically powered on to communicate with big brother.
11 comment22 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2010
The unit worked fine for about 5 days. Switched well via button or remote. A bit erratic in automatic switch mode. Usually switched with DVD and BluRay but not always when the cable box started.

Signal, when working, was strong with no flicker or pixelation. On Day 6 the units simply stopped working. I put a meter on it. Signal-in was strong but no signal-out. I assume that the switch mechanism failed.

Note- this unit does NOT have a power supply. It is powered by the signal strength alone. The description shows a power supply but the package says that none is needed and no supply was in the package. Beware- the unit may have changed since earlier reviews.
44 comments61 of 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This HDMI 5x1 Port Switch was easy to setup and worked perfectly right out of the box. This switch is being used to connect various HDMI devices (Blu-Ray Player, Roku, Xbox, Comcast Cable Box, and PC) to our LG HDTV. Here are my observations:

What's Included:
* Switch
* IR Receiver
* Power Supply
* Remote Control

Pros -
+ Easy Setup; just connect the IR Receiver to the Switch, connect the Power Supply, and connect the cables (we are using the cheapest possible with no issues)
+ Auto Switching; works perfectly to switch to a newly active port if the current selected port is off
+ Manual Switching; button in switch allows manually changing the input if the very small remote is misplaced
+ Small Size; fits easily tucked into my component cabinet

Misc -
* 5-input ports, 1-output port
* IR Receiver is different than the one shown in the product picture

We used this to replace a manual 4-port switch when we needed to add a 5th HDMI device and we are thrilled with the addition of the automatic switching and the remote control.

Highly Recommended!

CFH
22 comments12 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 21, 2010
I bought this with the intention of plugging all 5 of my devices into this switch, but 2 of the 5 devices caused the LED on the product to blink and not output a video signal (specifically, my DVR and OnLive Microconsole). There is no documentation that states what the "blinking LED" might mean, so I do not know exactly why it wouldn't work. For the other 3 devices though it works just as advertised. Came with Remote, IR Sensor, and Power Brick (optional). A hint to buyers, this does not come with an HDMI cable and you will need one to run from the output of the switch to your TV. So if you have 5 devices then you will actually need 6 HDMI cables. Obvious I know, but I forgot and had to wait to order more.
on December 27, 2010
This is the 2nd one of these that I bought from Amazon. I purchased them based on the reviews and the low price. The 1st one worked when I first hooked it up, but 5 months later when I relocated my TV, the switch no longer worked. Thinking that I possibly did something to make it fail, I ordered a 2nd one. When it arrived and I hooked it up, the remote would not switch the different inputs like it was supposed to. I used it for a little while manually switching inputs, but then the signal would drop out intermittently. No more for me.
33 comments7 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2010
I bought this to connect multiple HDMI items to my TV. The single HDMI input on the TV was a pain and this switch resolved it.

I needed a switch for three items and while looking I came across this switch. With five inputs it gives me the room to grow.

The auto switching feature is great. It has problems if a connected unit "bleeds" signal. Apparently my DVD does so. At first it was on the first input and the switch did not jump when a new item came on. Putting it on the last input allowed the switch to work properly. Now the cable box is on 1, media PC on 2, and DVD on 5. The moment I turn on the media PC it shows on TV and once it is off the switch goes back to the cable box signal. When it is on the DVD I need to switch it back to the cable box. (but that's not the switch's doing)
on June 10, 2011
This switch worked great for a month. Installed easy. Came with the AC/DC adapter. Controlled with the Logictech Harmony remote no problem (enter PET0501S as the model number to skip the manual configuration step). I was very happy.

Then, yesterday, after a month of use, it just stopped working. Oh well, I guess when you spend $13 you get $13 dollar quality.
on January 25, 2010
This is a great HDMI switch. I love that it switches between sources automatically, so I never even need to use the remote. Its also very compact which is great as well. Definitely worth the money. I have DirectTV, a PS3, and occasionally my laptop connected to the switch with room to spare.
0Comment16 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse