HF G10 vs XA10 The HF G10 is top of the line consumer camcorder and I was wondering how it compares to the XA10. Does XA10 have $500 worth of extra feature? How does the image quality compare? I am most concerned about how the camcorder will handle in low light situations. ie indoors, early evenings...

Will be using the camera to produce short web commercials and recording events that my company conducts.
asked by Josh on February 6, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 answers
A
votes
Hey Josh,

The image sensor in the two cameras is the same so low light performance will be the same as well. The major difference here is going to be the added xlr compatiblity and the handle/shotgun microphone atachment. As Michael stated, and these were differences that I didn't realize, There is an IR capability and different encoding format on the XA10. The IR capabilitys wouldn't apply to you because they wouldn't match the other shots, think of the green light video you see on tv. I don't know as though you would notice the different encoding format either, and likely whatever you use to edit/burn your video will encode the video upon output. So a bit more versatile but also a bit bulkier camera.

Bryan
Bryan Besler answered on February 19, 2011

A
votes
From a quick comparison of the operator's manuals of the two cameras, here is a summary of the differences. Hope it helps!

G10 has 32GB internal memory
XA10 has 64GB internal memory, so maximum recording time on internal memory is double that of the G10

G10 has Dolby Digital 5.1 ch when using the optional SM-V1 microphone, XA10 does not have Dolby Digital 5.1.

XA10 has a removable handle with a microphone holder, G10 does not.

XA10 has dual balanced XLR microphone terminals, G10 does not.

G10's weight is 545g, dimensions 94 (W) x 78 (H) x 195 (D) mm
XA10's weight is 775g, dimensions 130 (W) x 177 (H) x 205 (D) mm

G10 has a "mini advanced shoe"
XA10 has a cold accessory shoe
There are several other differences in the external controls on the top. Check the manuals for full info.

XA10 has infrared recording, G10 does not.

G10 has cinema mode and cinema-look filters, XA10 does not.

G10 has the "smart audio" feature, XA10 does not.

Identical features: Recording system, video signal config, supported recording media, image sensor, LCD touch screen, viewfinder, internal microphone, lens, lens config, autofocus system, minimum & recommended illumination, image stabilization, size of video recordings, size of photos, mic terminal, power adapter, battery pack
V. Levy answered on May 2, 2011

A
votes
Hey Josh,

If you watch the video Canon has about direct HD resolution it should answer your question, but I'll try and explain it here as well. Because the XA10 is shooting in the 1920X1080 resolution the effective size of each pixel is going to be larger. Larger pixles means a wider dynamic range. What that is going to mean for you in the end is that the camera will work better in both varied light settings as well as low light. The image sensor on the 5d is larger but packs in many more ppi, which is important when taking stills. So the advantage is the Direct HD resolution. No need for the camera to process the video into another resolution.

Just wanted to point out to this is the case for either the XA10 or G10 cameras, they both use direct resolution.

Bryan
Bryan Besler answered on March 3, 2011

A
vote
The canon web site lists both recording formats as MPEG4-AVC / H.264

I think they are the same camera (except for the audio and IR features of the handle and the internal memory). Any other differences?
DK answered on March 7, 2011

A
votes
Thanks Michael and Bryan

You guy's feedback has been extremely helpful. I will probably never use IR for my work even though that is a cool feature to have, but the added XLR option, the handle and the blu-ray encoding makes the XA10 really tempting. But since both the cameras will perform equally in low light and I usually use a separate mic (Zoom H1) to capture audio don't know if my boss will think $500 extra justifies the extra features. We will see :).
Josh answered on February 24, 2011

A
votes
P.S. Michael, will you keep us updated on how you like the XA10 when you do purchase one?
Josh answered on February 24, 2011

A
votes
I just contacted Canon Tech Support. The Canon XA10 has shipped to Dealers!!!!! I just noticed Norman Camera's in Michigan has posted it as "in stock". However, I plan to purchase from One Call or Amazon.
Troy L. Moss answered on March 25, 2011

A
votes
Great! Looks like the demand is high and supply is small looking at some of the prices going around. Going to wait until amazon has them in stock :)
Josh answered on April 1, 2011

A
votes
Is this camera compatible with IMOVIE '11 and FINAL CUT EXPRESS?
HARRY HALL answered on April 20, 2011

A
votes
i just sold my dslr to get the xa10 for the same reason. being able to shoot about 6h of video is fantastic. quality of this little beast is stunning
Doug Flather answered on May 21, 2011
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

ARRAY(0xa0c9e6a8)