on December 14, 2010
We received this coffeemaker as a wedding gift, and it is by far the best coffeemaker we've ever owned. We've been through three cheap models that overheat the coffee, leave a burnt flavor after about half an hour of sitting, and just brew mediocre coffee. The Bunn HG does none of these things. I have not experienced the coffee being "too hot" as noted in prior reviews, actually the temperature seems to be steady without overheating. In addition, the quality of the brew is noticeable. I'm not certain if it's because the water is heated to a consistent temperature and then released, but the flavor of the coffee is so much better than any other coffeemaker we've had. Not only does the coffee taste less bitter, but it's strong, which is how I like my coffee. We have had no issues with leaky carafes, overflowing tanks, or shaking. It has worked perfectly, and I do enjoy the design, though it is quite non traditional. I would have to agree with prior postings, that the carafe definitely gives a smooth, drip free pour, which is welcome after dripping coffee all over the counters with the traditional, inexpensive designs. Had we not received this as a gift, I would still go out and purchase this model.
on October 27, 2013
I wanted to love this brewer so much. It heats water only when needed (unlike my older Bunn brewer) and brings the water to the ideal temperature for brewing coffee. Bunn even created a high altitude version for those of us lucky enough to live in the mountains!

Alas, I have been through no fewer than 7 of these machines in roughly a year. There is a design flaw in the sensor that tells when to clean the machine. On 5 of the machines I have had it will give me the "CLN" message after 3-5 pots of coffee. I use softened, Reverse Osmosis filtered water so I know that there is not excessive scale in the machine. But I liked the coffee so much that I would buy the 2 gallon boxes of vinegar at Costco and clean it weekly.

Bunn customer service has been fine to work with and until recently would send a new machine with a return label for the old one. Unfortunately they decided that they were tired of paying for return shipping on the old machine and are now requiring that I pay for it. So now I'm done with my Bunn Phase Brew. If I had ANY faith that the next machine would work for more than 5-8 weeks I would pay for shipping one last time but after 7 defective machines I am not going to spend any more money on anything Bunn.
on May 9, 2011
Verified Purchase
There is a serious issue with this product, which Bunn is aware of. Each time they send me a new one out they claim that the issue has been taken care of. I am seriously frustrated this is my 3rd machine and each time it has been the same identical failure. Heating element starts up then fails or burns out. I will call Bunn tomorrow and request a refund.
on October 29, 2011
I am a coffee lover and have been through about 10 coffee makers over the years. From my understanding the water needs to reach a temperature of approximately 200 degress before it passes through the grounds. This will insure a strong flavorful but not bitter cup of coffee. This coffee maker seems to live up to its claims. I've only had it about 2 weeks and am still getting used to the exact ratio of coffee to water but will give this machine a full 5 stars at this point. It takes a bit of getting used to waiting for the water to heat up before the brewing begins but once you taste the coffee, you realize it's worth waiting for. The pot only holds 8 cups at a time but that works for me and it's easy to make another fresh pot once this is gone if you so desire. The coffee maker itself seems to be very sturdily made and the stainless steel looks high quality and matches my stove and microwave perfectly. The best thing about it is Bunn's customer service and warranty which is 3 years. Every other coffee maker I looked at has only a 1 year warranty. I did a lot of research before buying this machine and am very happy I did.
review image
on January 6, 2013
Verified Purchase
I purchased this Bunn HG coffee maker from Amazon Warehouse Deals and out of the box, it did not work. I have returned it and for other good reasons. Again, like all of the available drip coffee makers, the reservoir is made of plastic. Plastic breaks down with heat and releases chemicals over time regardless of what is claimed about health safety. The best choice for all components of a coffee maker is a good quality stainless steel. All of the drip coffee maker claim that they have stainless steel models, but with most its just the exterior casing of the machine. Also, another health issue is the fact that the water resevoir on most models does not empty completely. leaving water inside which is another health issue with bacteria and lime build up. Its best to empty the coffee maker over the sink until all of the water drains out. The only option is to purchase an all stainless steel perculator type coffee maker. All of the coffee drip makers available are not built for safety and longevity, but only on how much profit can be made by using plastic components which leach chemicals into your coffee, outsourcing the manufacturing to China and slapping a brand name on them. If no one buys these plastic chemical time bombs, maybe then, the manufacturers will take notice.
on January 4, 2011
Verified Purchase
I after brewing several pots coffee with this brewer I must say that I am most impressed by this machine. It is very well constructed and does not have any of that cheap plastic appearance you see in many coffee makers. The brewed coffee tastes great, and unlike some of the other Bunn brewers, it does not waste energy by keeping water heated 24/7 in a reservoir. I would recommend this product to friends and family. My only complaint is that the coffee is not quite hot enough for my tastes..i like my coffee piping hot. I usually have to put my coffee mug in the microwave for 30 seconds after I add milk. It coffee brewer looks great on my kitchen counter and I love the design. The controls are very easy to use and the LED display is bright and easy to read. I was considering spending three times as much on a Technivarm, and I am damn glad I bought this machine instead.
on November 30, 2012
Well, like SO many of you, I have been reviewing coffee makers for weeks now. (literally hundreds of reviews for every coffee maker that Amazon lists) This is what I have concluded and learned first hand from our recent purchase of the Bunn Phase 8-cup with glass carafe. This list reflects the barrage of attacks on this coffee maker and shows point by point why we are glad that we bought this machine.

1. Nothing is more important to me in this economy than made in the USA. I am not usually so firm in this, but this is a great company with a great reputation that deserves the trust that it has worked hard to earn.

2. I would rather buy a product that is still being developed from a stellar company with true customer support than a known product with bad/nonexistent service. You can not pay enough for truly great service post purchase!

3. This machine has a 3 year warranty! Seriously. This is amazing. Based on all of the reviews, I will hold onto the box and receipt and know that if something happens, I will pack it up and wait for a new one. Really NO BIG DEAL in light of #1.

4. GREAT COFFEE! This should really be number one in the list. I didn't understand the better vs bitter discussion that a lot of you were talking about, but I do now. This really does make the best coffee I think I have ever had (and I have had a lot). It is so incredibly SMOOTH. I didn't know that coffee could be that velvety.

5. This fits great under my kitchen counter. My counter height to cabinets is 18 inches and with this machine I have about 3-5 inches to spare. No problem there.

6. LOVE the stainless steel quantity on this machine. Unheard of in the market right now. Yes, there is still some plastic, but not much. The filter cup is so easy to clean and empty. Did I mention that I love this? It also sits great on the counter and is easy to slide in and to fill. LOVE!

7. The clock is super easy to program. Crazy easy!

8. The water fill line window is tough to see. (Bunn make note of this and fix it.) A clear of less opaque window is too easy to fix.

9. Coffee is the perfect temperature even with creamer. I do occasionally froth my creamer and can't wait to see how hot it is then, too!

10. I am using the same amount of coffee as we always have. No coffee plantation concerns here. Sometimes I wonder what people are thinking about when they write these reviews! Coffee per cup is coffee per cup is coffee per cup.

So, long review short...we are very happy with our purchase. If in a few months, something blinks out or it quits, we'll send it back and get a new one. I have no fears about how Bunn will handle our needs in the years to come.

Enjoy!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It's only recently that I've become a big coffee drinker. Before that, I favored tea, and didn't really see a whole lot of appeal in regular coffee. Then, when I moved into a new house, I decided I needed a coffee maker for when I had guests and, on a whim, I picked up a Keurig brewer. The coffee that I've brewed with that Keurig has been like a revelation, and I've become more devoted to coffee than tea as a result. I realized that my lack of enthusiasm for coffee stemmed from the fact that automatic drip machines make an inferior brew.

Still, as much as I love my Keurig, it's not very practical when I have guests, so I was very interested in trying out this brewer to see how it would compare, and I'm happy to say that the comparison is very favorable. My husband and I have tried several different types of beans in this machine and, though some of the beans were really inferior, the end result was still a rich, deep, full-bodied cup of coffee, the likes of which was unknown when using an automatic drip machine.

The reason for this lies in the technology of the machine, which is similar to a Keurig. After heating the water to a precise temperature--a process that lasts for around six minutes and, during which, the machine hisses like a dragon--the water is released in a stream, passing through the grounds and into the carafe. The entire process takes around ten minutes and results in a noticeably superior cup. Thanks to the superior brewing process, the subtle notes in the beans really come through. With a coffee maker like this, you will not need to make a trip to the coffee house.

The machine is very simple to operate. You simply fill it, press the on button, and wait for some truly fantastic coffee. It also has a timer function, which works very nicely. Simply press the auto brew button, set the time (using the hour and minute buttons) and you're done. After a ten-second delay, the auto brew button is backlit, indicating that it's set. The machine remembers the time you've set, so your next auto brew just involves a push of the button. If you want to change the time, you simply press the hour and minute keys while the display time is flashing. It really couldn't be easier.

My one criticism of the machine is the carafe design, which is very, very poor. The coffee has to be poured in a very thin, precise stream or you end up with coffee all over your countertop. There is a lip around the upper inside edge of the carafe that makes it very hard to get all of the coffee out of the carafe without making a mess. Removing the lid doesn't help. I'm not really sure how this one managed to slip by any testing, as the poor design is very, very obvious the first time you try to pour yourself a cup.

That aside, the carafe, lid, and filter basket are all dishwasher safe on the top rack, making the machine easy to clean. Again, due to the poor carafe design, a lot of water tends to pool around the lip, so taking the carafe out of the dishwasher can be a pretty messy process. Be sure to have a towel handy as you will need to do a fair bit of drying.

Still, the terrible carafe design isn't enough to really dampen my overall enthusiasm about the machine. It looks beautiful on my kitchen counter and make an outstanding cup of coffee.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 1, 2011
Verified Purchase
I purchased this model to replace my previous Bunn model. I have owned it for about two months. My last model only lasted three years before leaking all over the counter. Bunn will send you replacement parts for this issue, but I am not comfortable with attempting to repair it myself. I was hesitant to buy another Bunn for this reason and the fact it had to be on 24/7 to keep a reserve pot of water hot. In the end, a good cup of coffee won out. I saw this new model and liked the fact it didn't require a reserve pot of water. The profile is much smaller than my previous model, and in my opinion much more attractive. It makes a good hot cup of coffee. It can be a little noisy, but this reminds me that the coffee is almost ready. The only real drawback is the carafe. It leaks. It doesn't matter if I pour slow or fast. It leaks. It also has a plastic border/lip that prevents you from being able to completely empty it without using a paper towel to sop up what won't pour out. This is very inconvenient for cleaning it. The carafe is the only thing stopping me from giving it a 5 star review.

I purchased this item through Amazon but from an external merchant. Delivery was quick and it was well packaged.
on January 31, 2013
This machine makes the best coffee (except for french press) that I've ever had. Easy to use, cool looking, if a bit tall. However, a few short weeks after I got it the heating element just quit working without warning. The lighted displays were still fine, but no heat. Not good, hence the 2 stars.

However, I liked the coffee so much that I accepted a replacement instead of money back. SO now we'll see if it's "Fool me twice, shame on me...."

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations