Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on November 1, 2012
This drive (Hitachi model # 0S03503 4TB external USB3 hard drive) has performed flawlessly during more than two months of use on my Mac laptop. It is very quiet during operation, with no noticeable vibration. It runs cool even in heavy use. On a Mac, installation is plug and play. I plan to order another one of these drives for alternating backup using the Mac's built-in Time Machine backup software. I can recommend this drive enthusiastically and without reservation for use on a Mac running OS X 10.8.
on November 9, 2012
I have been using two of these 4TB attached to a WD tV live for about four months. Drive is written to capacity. I have run several checks on this and not a single problem sector. USB 3 is great, lightening fast for transferring from pc. USB 2 capability is also great since it has been backwards compatible with every device I have tried.
Runs cooler than most externals due to active (fan) cooling. Fan is silent but its presence means this drive will probably last much longer than competitors.
The one reviewer who said he "lost irreplaceable family photos" is a crank. Sorry to say so, but anyone in their right mind knows ALL externals are less safe than internals. For goodness sakes they are more likely to drop. Even enterprise internals, in pcs with $100 PSU can go at any moment. you dont use them as the SOLE storage place for family photos!
These massive externals are for backup or for use with entertainment media, and the Touro is EXCELLENT for that.
33 comments|16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 28, 2012
Purchased HGST Touro Desk Pro 2 TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive (HTOLDNB20001BBB) from J&R via Amazon. Plugged in provided AC power and USB 3.0 cords and Windows Home Server (v1.0) recognized and "installed" the drive with no problems. I reformatted the drive from within WHS, installed it in WHS as a backup drive, and transferred about 500 GB of files to it over the next 2 days. Then the drive appeared to have failed, and WHS would no longer recognize the drive's existance, or occaissionly would see the drive but state it had failed.

While searching for answers on the net I found (1) this was an Advanced Format Drive (can have issues with older OSs),and (2) there have been quite a few reports of USB cable connection failures. Problem #1 didn't apppear to be the issue, since it did work for a while on WHS v1 (a Windows Server 2003 variant). After the drive "failed", I also tried the drive on Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 SP1 (32- and 64-bit) machines. It was on my Windows 7 32-bit laptop that the drive was finally recognized, "installed", and displayed all my files in Windows Explorer. Great! But as soon as I nudged the laptop to a more convenient angle, I heard the "drive disconnected" sound and then the files "disappeared". I checked the connections at both ends of the drive's USB3 cable, and heard the "drive connect" after disconnecting and reconnecting the cable at the drive. But as soon as I let go of the cable the drive disconnected. Finally, I was able to keep the connection steady by inserting the cable on the drive end by firmly pushing the cable in while maintaining a firm upward pressure, and then let go of the cable very carefully and then make sure I absolutely did not cause the drive or cable to move even slightly. This got me the most important step - allowed me to wipe the drive (which contained backups of highly confidential business & personal files) so I could return it. For a while I thought I was going to have to eat the approx. $130 price, since there was no way I could return the drive with those files still on it.

Three side-notes: (1) Amazon and J&R made the return process nearly painless, with J&R promptly offering a refund option and even prepaying for the return shipping. (2) I had disconnected/reconnected the drive about 3 times before it failed. I was quite gentle on the cable and drive, as I love my electronic gizmos and handle them with care. (3) Hitachi/HGST normally makes excellent drives, and I have 6 similar Hitachi 2 TB internal drives in my server that have been operating flawlessly for 1 to 3 years. From my experience and what info I found on the web, this appears to be a connection issue on the drive's enclosure, not the drive inside.
on May 13, 2012
Since all pieces of electronics can be very good for the first couple weeks and then go bad I did not want to rush with posting a review until now. I own two of these drives purchased from two different retailers. One from the egg company and one from the office company. All the reviews about the reliability of its cables and the internal electronics did concern me, but I thought that I could use it as an internal drive as a plan B, so I took a risk.

So far, for my arrangement, both drives are working. If problems will occur, I'll update this review. We (consumers) should help each other to navigate in the world of modern (frequently unreliable) flood of electronics, shouldn't we?

Anyway, I swap both drives and back up data to them every 3-4 days. They are never constantly connected to the PC (which s Windows 7 Pro 64-bit on ASUS P8P67-M PRO <REV 3.0> LGA 1155 SATA 6Gbps and USB 3.0 Supported Intel P67 DDR3 2200 Micro ATX Motherboard) so I have not experienced some of the problems mentioned by other reviewers. At the same time, why would you keep an external drive constantly connected to your computer? If lightning strikes, then everything connected to the computer might burn. What's the point of backing up in this case?

Since every day adds photos and videos, I am looking forward to see the 4TB versions coming down in price. The volume is more important to me than the speed of the drive. And of course the price per each GB is important too. By the way, regarding the speed of this drive. Although it has a 7200 RPM / 64 MB cache drive inside, the overall speed during backing up photos and videos is not that high. By using the included Hitachi backup software a real life average speed is around 10 MB/s - 15 MB/s. By copying directly in Windows Explorer: 36 MB/s - 46 MB/s.

The bottom line is: never rely on just one drive and ideally back up the same data on Blu-ray discs. They came down in price to a basic dollar per 25 GB disc.
44 comments|10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 2011
Let me start off with some of the good points about this drive. It is relatively inexpensive, looks fairly nice, and is definitely fast (I can copy to and from it at over 100MB/s in windows 7). It is also fairly quiet.

Now for the bad. The main problem I have with this drive is the poor linux support. *begin techy rant* Whatever chipset this uses does not play well with linux at all. With the default uas driver, it will cause my machine to completely lock (a Dell m4600). It does this on the two machines I've tried it on and happens with two different versions of Ubuntu and several kernel versions. A Seagate GoFlex USB 3 2tb drive works perfectly fine out of the box without needing to do anything special. I am able to get this drive to work by blacklisting the uas driver, and loading and unloading the usb_storage kernel module a few times, but it's definitely not plug and play. It does work fine in Windows 7, so this may not be a huge problem for most people, and it does work in linux with a bit of hacking. *end techy rant*

The case is all plastic (even the silver part), the drive does get warm (though it's not a huge concern), and the power and usb cables are rather short (the power cable does have a transformer brick on the end, but it's fairly narrow, so depending on your power strip, it may or may not take up multiple outlets). There is no on/off switch, and the sleep time for the drive does not appear to be adjustable and is rather short (something less than 10 minutes, I think). It takes what feels like 10 seconds to spin up and come back online, which is a bit annoying when I go to access a file and have to wait for it to spin up (the fact that my main drive is an SSD makes it especially painful).

Overall, this is a nice drive if you plan on using Windows; I'd suggest looking elsewhere if you want a drive to use with linux.
99 comments|26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 7, 2012
This hard drive was not as carefully packaged as it should be, allowing it to bounce around inside the outer box during shipment. Despite this substandard packaging, though, the drive is performing excellently. It is the quietest external drive I have used to date and, this being my first USB 3.0 interface, I am delighted by the very high speed in backing up a 500GB internal drive on my rMBP. Older USB 2.0 drives copied in seemingly 4X minutes vs this drive.
on August 3, 2012
Bought this as a Time Machine backup for my MacBook. Worked great for 6 months, then died. Drive does not spin or light up, even with known good replacement power. Since it has a backup of all my personal data, I can't send it in for a replacement.
44 comments|11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 19, 2014
Purchased to do automated backups on a MacBook Pro using Mac OS X 8.x.

When the computer goes to sleep the drive goes offline and won't re-mount until it's been turned off and on. Others have complained about this same problem, and I'm experiencing the same symptoms.

This problem with the drive makes it useless for automated backups, and is annoying for simple use. I have two other drives connected to my laptop (3 TB and 1 TB) and neither behaves this way. Returned to Amazon and replaced with different drive.
on July 13, 2014
Love that this is a 7200rpm 4tb external hard drive. Does not get hot only warm to the touch. Have been using it as an external hard drive to my xbox one. The only reason I did give this hard drive a 5 star rating is because you cannot control the hard drive power saving features such as sleep mode or spin down. It is precoded into the drive, some choice would be perfect. Also compared to some drives I own it is quite large. Overall it looks great and does its job wondefully.
on June 2, 2012
This 2TB Hitachi just backed up 500+ gigabytes of data over USB 2.0 with no issues.

My MacBook had no trouble reformatting it from NTFS to 2 journaled OS X partitions, each 1TB. Snow Leopard, by the way -- I tend to adopt late.

Hardly a long-term reliability test, but I'm pleased so far. I'll report back as problems arise.