Industrial-Sized Deals BOTMKT15 Shop Women's Fall Denim Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums See All Deals Storm Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all furious7 furious7 furious7  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage Assassin's Creed Syndicate Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

on July 23, 2012
ATA device, with non-removable media
Model Number: Hitachi HTS541010A9E680
Serial Number: JB40001MG80XWD
Firmware Revision: JA0OA480
Transport: Serial, ATA8-AST, SATA 1.0a, SATA II Extensions, SATA Rev 2.5, SATA Rev 2.6; Revision: ATA8-AST T13 Project D1697 Revision 0b
Configuration:
Logical Sector size: 512 bytes
Physical Sector size: 4096 bytes
Logical Sector-0 offset: 0 bytes
device size with M = 1024*1024: 953869 MBytes
device size with M = 1000*1000: 1000204 MBytes (1000 GB)
cache/buffer size = 8192 KBytes (type=DualPortCache)
Form Factor: 2.5 inch
Nominal Media Rotation Rate: 5400

Timing buffered disk reads: 282 MB in 3.00 seconds = 93.87 MB/sec

It runs very quiet. The case is cheap plastic and it's sealed, you will not be able to swap drives. Cable length is 45cm. The connectors are solid enough to remain plugged when you hold it by the cable and swing it.

Good product, no issues with it.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 1, 2012
Incredibly easy to use. My Imac automatically opened up Time Machine when it recognized it plugged in and pretty much took over. I didn't have to do anything except hit "ok" when prompted. And when I opened up the hard drive to check, it looked like I was actually looking at the computer itself. I had to remind myself I was looking at what was on the hard drive. It literally takes a picture of your computer. And so small!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 25, 2012
My friend just bought one today and brought it over so I could transfer 225gb of music to it. Took about 4 hours or so but I had other things to do so that was OK. My Toshiba Canvio took about the same amount of time when I first got the music files from somebody else's portable hard drive.

Pros:

Truly plug and play. No software to install. Doesn't even come with any. Just plug it in and start copying files.

Textured finish so the surface doesn't accumulate fingerprints. My Canvio is a mess with smudges and prints on the glossy surface.

Cons:

Manual's print is so small you need a magnifying glass to read it. Fortunately, you don't have to read the manual to use this item

Giving it 5 stars anyway.
on May 15, 2012
The computer recognizes it as a hard drive and it works as simply as a jump drive. I already backed by entire computer up on it including a system image. It took 200GB but there is still plenty of room for everything and anything i could use it for.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Well, this is actually the first product I buy online (specifically in Amazon), and obviously my first review, so I would like to share what I saw.

Once the package arrived to my home (perfectly timed as Amazon.com page said), I felt like a child receiving his first christmas gift. I opened it as fast as I could and my first impression when I saw the product was "Really?, 1 TB in this small space?".

I plugged the EHD to the PC (which has 2.0 USB ports) and immediately started to backup my files. (You have to wait like 1 minute while the USB drivers install and update, but is pretty fast).

At the beginning it did some noises that I, honestly, worried about it, because in my head I was thinking that maybe the EHD hit something during the shipment or during the flight (to Mexico, where I live), etc. But it was just during the beginning and the noises were not loud. Until now, it has been working perfectly: smooth, quiet, and fast.

I have filled 1/4 of the disc in with an impressive speed, even without 3.0 USB ports in the PC, and it is perfect: size, weight, speed, easy-to-use, and price!

It comes pre-configured, so you only have to plug it in the PC and that's it, you will have 1 TB prepared to be filled (well, actually is like 990 GB o something like that, but it is normal).

5 stars to this amazing product and highly recommended!
on March 8, 2013
I have had the drive for about a week. I chose this rating because, although the drive works perfectly, the cable was bad. I have another of these drives, with which I am very satisfied, so I swapped cables to verify. I would recommend that people buy the drive, with the caveat that the cable may have to be replaced.
on January 23, 2013
Bought this as portable Time Machine disk, for which it works just fine, after formatting appropriately. If using for simple storage on a Mac, it may be used directly out of the box, as it comes in FAT 32, instead of the NTFS that others do.

It is remarkably small, but with a sturdy feeling case that has a matte finish that lends grip and resists fingerprints. The LED indicator is a stylish long bar that is not overly bright as some others. The included cable is thick but flexible, with a single end for power/data, not the type with a second pigtail USB connector- I understand these are for extra power if needed, but I've never needed to use them on any cable that had one.

Currently in use on an AirPort Extreme USB port for the aforementioned Time Machine duty. I've not used it on a 3.0 port, nor benchmarked it, but the transfer speeds are plenty fast both direct and networked so far.

I've always had good luck with Hitachi brand drives, and had them as OE in several Macs with no issue over the years. I do not know if the association with Western Digital will affect this durability, but so far, so good, and I like that it is the most portable, by size, of many 2.5" drives I own and travel with.

Does not come with a case of any sort, but is easier to fit into one than others, and I'd like it to have some rubber feet or strips to prevent slippage, but that's the only con I've noticed thus far.

Overall, I'll probably get a couple more of these- I can fit almost 2 in the space of one of my Seagate or Iomega portable externals. Non-skid can be added if desired, I figure.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 22, 2014
after 6 or 7 files it started to make clicking noises and no matter what i did it kept making noises. so thanks to fast help from amazon`s customer service i was able to return it with no problems. 1 star for product and 10 stars for customer service!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This hard drive is reasonably priced when compared to other external hard drives on Amazon. At the time of writing this review I would recommend getting the 1 TB over the 500 GB as it was only about $12 more. I always recommend getting the largest hard drive you can afford even if it's more space than you need because at some point you May/will need it.

This is an "portable" hard drive meaning all it needs is a USB plug into your computer to transfer the data and get power from. That means you don't have to plug in an AC adapter to your wall socket. I prefer these hard drives over the kind that require an AC adapter every time. This will also work with USB 2.0 adapters the speeds for 2.0 transfers are still fast enough for most users at about a gigabyte of data every 30 to 40 seconds.

This hard drive is Mac compatible just follow the steps below to format the hard drive for your Mac. If you're a Mac user setting up or erasing this drive up with your computer is super easy follow these steps.

1. Plug in the the drive
2. Open up disk utility found in your applications folder inside the utilities folder
3. Next select the newly plugged in a drive and on the right-hand side you should see partition click on that.
4. Then inside that screen on the partition layout drop-down choose how many partitions you'd like to set up. I generally go with one partition and just use folders to organize my files.
5. Then on the right-hand side you can name the partitions and select the format. If you are transferring video files I highly recommend you choose Mac OS Extended (If you want to use it with Time Machine this is the choice you need to make) as it can handle files over 4GB. Sometimes it's good to make two partitions and one using "MS-DOS fat" or "ExFat" if you might be transferring files to and from a Windows machine. The reason is Windows machines and Macs can read and write to the "MS-DOS fat" format but your files will need to be under 4 GB each as that's the maximum file size it can handle.***
6. Then click apply and your Mac will create all the partitions you wanted and you're good to go.

*** The ExFat format is new to Mac OSX 10.9 Mavericks and doesn't have a 4gb file size limit the "MS-DOS fat" or Fat32 does but not all devices like cameras & digital devices can't read or write to it.

I hope this helps and be sure to always have backups of your important data. Take it from somebody was lost a lot of data to hard drive failures always backup and Time Machine is so transparent if you're using a Mac you should be using Time Machine.
on November 18, 2014
although the drive works well, after less than 6 months the cable plug in to the drive connects erratically and will fail. Connections seem to be the weak point in portable drives and this one is no exception. Very disappointed. Look for a drive with a molded cable or something more robust as a connection.