5.0 out of 5 stars Fast Hardisk, 5 Year Warranty
As an IT manager I used 2 of these 500GB ULTRASTAR disks to replace 2 Seagate Barracuda ES 500GB disks.

The disks are in a RAID 1 configuration. The 2 Seagate disks (that were replaced) used to take 2.5 hours to synchronize in to a RAID 1 configuration. These 2 new HITACHI ULTRASTAR disks took only 1.5 hours to synchronize.

These disks have a 5 year...
Published on August 22, 2011 by Ron Rahav

2.0 out of 5 stars Careful Refurbished Drives
I'm not saying it's a bad thing, in fact the one drive I tested so far seems to work BUT it was not mentioned anywhere in the product description that those were refurbished drive, or at least not clear enough that I could see it when reading the title and product description.

I thought I was buying new drives and having a very good deal.

The first...
Published 11 months ago by LUPPO

2.0 out of 5 stars Careful Refurbished Drives, January 8, 2014

I thought I was buying new drives and having a very good deal.

The first drive I popped in my NAS has already close to 22000 hours of runtime, in other words it's approximately somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of its life.

Haven't yet put the other one in my NAS as I purchased it as a backup drive, but i think this seller should make it clear that those drives are refurbished.

Again the it's working, for now... but make sure you WANT a refurbished drive before you click "add to cart".

I personally feel a bit cheated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast Hardisk, 5 Year Warranty, August 22, 2011
This review is from: HGST Ultrastar 3.5-Inch 500GB 7200RPM SATA II 16 MB Cache Enterprise Hard Drive with 24x7 Duty Cycle (0F11000) (Personal Computers)

These disks have a 5 year warranty (now matter how, when or where you buy them)
The warranty term for every disk HITACHI sells is listed on their web site.

Seagate on the other hand, changed its warranty policy on most disks they sell, so that the warranty changes based on how, when or where you buy them. (the SAME Seagate hardisk can have anywhere from 0 to 5 years of warranty depending on how, when or where you buy it) This makes it very difficult, to impossible, to shop for a hardisk that you know in advance will have a 5 year warranty. And (for most disks) you certainly can't go to Seagate's web site to find out what the warranty is, since the warranty is not defined until you buy the disk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Open the package, stick the drive into the case, and it just works, June 4, 2012
ACW1120 (CA United States) - See all my reviews
I bought several Hitachi drives from Amazon, they are all good. I am refreshing another home computer, it has a very old Hitachi SATA drive, it was so old, I do not even recall what year I bought it, it is 175 G drive, the size is a limiting factor.

I decide to replace the old drive with this one, I was not disappointed, drive was shipped to me the day promised by Amazon, I put the drive in, Windows 7 installed itself, no problem at all. The drive is not very noisy, I can safely say they are comparable to the best of Seagate, as I own both of them.

I just got it within a week or so, can not really comment on its reliability, if the history is of any indication, this drive should be reliable and perform well in my system.

September1, 2012
3 month update, the drive is running fine, no issue so far.

January 2, 2013
6 month passed, the drive works flawlessly.

February 22, 2013
Still works great! I do believe Hitach/IBM disk drive is better than others

May 25, 2013

Almost a year now, no problem what so ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid replacement drives for ReadyNas NV+, August 31, 2011
These were upgrades for Samsung SpinPoint T166 HD501LJ - Hard drive - 500 GB - internal - 3.5" - SATA-300 - 7200 rpm - buffer: 16 MB I purchased about 5 years ago when I built the NAS. These Hitachi units are also on the Netgear HCL for the several of the ReadyNas products including the NV+. They included the RVS and have 32MB cache (not the 16MB in product page description).

Thermals are much better on the Ultrastar units (at least 10F cooler) and the transfer rate has improved a bit. I bought 4 of these units had no problems expanding the RAID volume. Highly recommended for NV+ users.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good option for an enterprise 2 TB disk., May 7, 2011
Lucas "LR" (Santa Barbara, CA) - See all my reviews
I achieved sustained 90MB/s writes with user data on UFS (the data probably used many inodes).

The drive is impressively loud, especially when running newfs. Under my typical load, it isn't very loud.

I ordered two drives for RAID-1. Both of them worked. However, this statistic, with such a small sample size, will not be indicative of your experience.

---

Irrelevant to the product, but relevant to potential buyers here: Amazon.com, LLC packaged the disks pretty well. They were held by plastic shells in the boxes. I would have preferred an inch or two of foam (which is how Seagate packages replacement disks).

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect the best and plan on paying out of you own pocket to ship back defective products., September 16, 2014
I bought two of the 1TB drives. One had date of FEB-2014 while the other was from SEP-2011. The SEP-2011 one was also the drive that showed up with a circuit board part almost falling off. So I filed return claim with amazon and when it was approved found out I had to pay to ship it back even though they were the ones who shipped me a defective product. The one drive is working well so far but I will not be buying from this supplier again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great drive, but be careful who you buy "new" drives from, July 25, 2014
These are great drives, but you have to be careful. Most of the ones sold as new are not. After trying a 3rd time, we finally got truly new drives from Beccela's Etc. I would only buy them from Beccela's Etc. otherwise the five dollars you save is going to a "new" drive that might have two or more years of use on it. Yes, these were actually manufactured a while ago and set up for Lenovo servers, but they tested perfectly with no hours of previous use. I have a feeling that there are no new 1 TBs being actually created now in mid 2014.

5.0 out of 5 stars good drive purchased on recommendation, March 28, 2014
Great drive and a good value. Recommended by the IT Director at work. It seems pretty fast. I have purchased hard drives that failed within a year in past so I hope this one will stand the test of time.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good..., March 27, 2014
J. M. Lowe (Houston, TX, USA) - See all my reviews
Looking for alternatives to the various Seagate-branded USB drives that I have purchased in recent years ALL OF WHICH HAVE DIED IN LESS THAN TWO YEARS. Completely unacceptable. Very hopeful that these Hitachi drives will be more reliable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice with a catch., January 4, 2014
I purchased the enterprise HD for performance and longevity. The performance is there but it will be some time before I will know about the longevity. The catch I refered to in the title is that it came installed in a sled which had to be disassembled to use the drive in a standard computer or enclosure. The picture on Amazon is of a bare drive but it's not. I would recommend the drive because it is a good value but be aware that there is a little more work required to get it installed.

$195.66 $39.98
In stock. Usually ships within 4 to 5 days.