Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

THE DVD IS HIGH DEF AND SURROUND !! AMAZON DOESN'T SAY THAT !

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 14, 2006 10:08:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 14, 2006 10:14:50 PM PDT
Why can't you guys at AMAZON get it right? The DVD is not just REMASTERED, it's REMIXED for SURROUND. I know, because I'm the mixer!

If the industry would get it right, SURROUND would get it's due. But Amazon seems to not have any idea what it is.

PLEASE change your wording so people know it's not a stupid video, but a 24/96 version of the original mix and a 24/96 DVD AUDIO surround version, a DTS surround version, and a DOLBY DIGITAL surround version. ALSO it is NOT a dual disc, and a conventional CD is included as well.

stephen barncard

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2006 8:45:11 PM PDT
Glad to hear it, Stephen...have heard your remastering job on the CSN box set from '91, and if that's any indication, folks, this ought to sound great. Mr. Barncard is one of the best producers going, and very glad to hear this isn't and won't be a DualDisc, Stephen; I (and I'm sure others here) find them to be very hit-and-miss.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2006 5:29:59 PM PST
Thank you. It will sound great in surround

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2006 8:55:46 AM PST
Andrew Stitt says:
Can't wait to hear your surround remix, Stephen - I've just about worn out my vinyl! I feel your pain regarding the lack of marketing for hi-rez surround discs. The industry shot itself in the foot with the DVD-A/SACD war and then the retailers gave up on trying to present the formats as anything new, let alone the pain involved in setting up an adequate system to hear the difference. I'm glad you and Neil are still big supporters though.

On anoter note, I've heard the PERRO jam sessions tapes for years and hope they'll get released someday - maybe even in DVD-Audio. Thanks for capturing all those magic moments for us.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2006 10:18:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2006 10:20:22 AM PST
Bravo. I have loved this LP since I first picked it up on it's original release. I purchased the cd as soon as it became available and the quality of the recording blew me away. Have been hopeing for a Jap Mini LP release of this music. The Japs have done a remarkable job of remastering some great LP's and this one would be an instant classic. Thanks. Joe Owens

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2006 1:16:19 PM PST
John Doe says:
One question.Is the CD of this set remixed or remastered or is it the same quality as the original CD release?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2006 9:44:43 PM PST
The Japs (??!!!)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2006 10:43:39 PM PST
Space Monkey says:
Great the offical David Crosby web store at
Music Today only mentions Dobly also.

Glad it has DVD-audio and DTS

because Dolby Surround is too compressed for hi-fi
audio

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2006 5:22:04 AM PST
Stephen,

Thanks for clearing that up, now tell us why the disc and the packaging say "HDCD", yet it is not an HDCD encoded disc.

RJP

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2006 4:43:41 PM PST
H. M Rivera says:
I was so crazy about the great DVD-Audio disk, that I forgot to try the HDCD. I got the same result RJP above got. My cd is not seen as a HDCD by my Denon DVD-Audio player with HDCD decoding. It is hard to tell if it is decoded correctly and the fault in the disk is just that the HDCD flag does not get turned on or if it really is just a regular cd mislabeled as a HDCD.

Stephen, any tips? By the way, "Voyage" decodes as a HDCD correctly. Any help?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2006 11:11:27 AM PST
anon4 says:
This is the problem with DVD-A and SACD period.
No one knows anything about what it is.
Neither the hardwae or software companies ever pushed it, advertised it, marketed it correctly.
This should have been the next generation of CD but none of the industry would spend a little to let people know exactly what was going on.
If you've never heard true High Res. Multi-channel DVD-A or SACD in 5.1, you've really missed the best sounding format out . DTS and DD cant compare with their compressed sound.
If you dont own a player... BUY one. Maybe a combo DVD-A / SACD. They can be purchased cheap enough for a first timer.
Dont let it die as so many are already saying about the formats.
Listen and you'll never go back to the stereo side if you have a choice.
We need more software in this format and for sure more marketing but I hate to say it but I doubt we get much (if any) of either.
Keep hope alive. Buy a player and some 5.1 discs and lets keep this format going.
Such a waste to let it slowly fade away.
By now almost every CD should have a CD stereo and multi-channel side for the home setup.
Trust me ...once you hear it you'll never go back...unless for your car or places where a 6 channel setup is not available.
Please buy and write the studios and demand more releases in the multi-channel format.
Enjoy,
anon4

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2006 8:01:55 AM PST
How are you getting on regarding the Perro sessions which gave birth to this superb disc and others?
I too was wondering where the Video was???? Stunning job you have done. I Don't have surround, more the pity - I'm a bit of a purist.
I was a bit disappointed there were not more versions of each song added instead of just one new track. I know some are found on the boxed set of CS&N but I understand there were many versions of each. What about a 'sessions cd' of this album?? Then it could be released as a triple!! I also think they could have been added to Voyage to make a 4 cd set. Congratulations anyway. cheers Anthony

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2006 11:56:24 AM PST
R. Way says:
It sounds awesome. I wore it out on vinyl twice and got it on CD as soon as it was available. Then dreamed of a remastered version. Read about it a few years ago and then, fantasies coming true, read about a 5.1 mix in MIX magazine!! FINALLY it's here. Great work!.......... but one question. Where the heck is the video?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2007 1:57:06 PM PDT
steph 119 says:
thank you for posting this!! I kept re-reading the description to determine if it was indeed a DVD-
Audio.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2007 10:19:31 AM PDT
The CD is off of the 1971 30 ips master, with the exception of Kids and Dogs bonus track.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2007 10:23:01 AM PDT
Rhino screwed up again. I think it's encoded but the light doesn't come on. I mixed the surround in 2004 and turned it in and had it mastered by August 2004. Then I offered my full support for managing the product. After 2 years I gave up. Then in November 2006 I was informed of the new release date and oh, sorry, there wasn't time for test pressings and extra material.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2007 10:24:44 AM PDT
There never was a video (or film) from that time.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 12:50:55 PM PST
Lee A. Moran says:
I cant get my amp to recognize DTS. I tryed another DTS DVD and it works showing 5.1 in the amp display so its not my equipment? Ant suggestions?

Thanks

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 5:45:37 PM PDT
I'd like to know if this DVD-A will play OK in just a regular DVD player like most other DVD-A discs? I do not have a DVD-A player but I do have a few DVD-A discs that do play and sound fantastic in the standard DVD player. Beach Boys Pet Sounds and Neil Young Harvest both sound unreal. I'd like to get this but if the DVD does not play then I might as well get the standard CD. I too also have worn out one LP and my current is getting there. I never got this on CD for whatever reason. Later.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2015 5:50:43 PM PST
the light doesn't come on but the CD is HDCD encoded. Another Rhino screw up.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2015 5:52:09 PM PST
Rhino screwed up a few things, mostly the promotion and release date. The HDCD light doesn't come on but I'm assured that it was indeed HDCD encoded from the original master mixes.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2015 5:54:59 PM PST
There was no video because there was no video shot during the sessions. Or film. But Rhino could have done a nice slide show as Henry Diltz and Jim Marshall took hundreds of photos during that time. I pleaded with the company but the wouldn't return my phone calls, then waited TWO YEARS before the final release.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  16
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  Oct 14, 2006
Latest post:  Dec 27, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
If I Could Only Remember My Name
If I Could Only Remember My Name by Crosby Stills Nash & Young (Audio CD - 1988)
4.7 out of 5 stars (218)