Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: History Classics: The Revolution [DVD]
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on February 15, 2013
Excellent recap of the entire revolutionary war from start to finish. While not on par with a Ken Burns epic like "the civil war", this breaks down the revolution and shows all the key aspects of both sides, as well as the most important historical figures. It deals with the struggles and brutal conditions of both sides, and is not afraid to show the darker aspects of our founding fathers. For example, while praising George Washington for his great leadership and iron will, it notes that Washington was a slave owner who banned negro recruits from joining the army early in the revolution, even though his army was desperately short of manpower. He also resorted to capitol punishment in the army on multiple occasions when it was on the brink of collapse.

The re-enactments and done with superb quality, and match the narration quite effectively. It's nice to see what the narrator is saying play out right before your eyes. The actors are also dead ringers for the people they portray. I was particularly impressed with who they chose for Washington and Ben Franklin.

The only major complaint I have is the final two episodes. They start with Washington's 8-day journey to take up his office as the first President, but end up just being recaps of everything that happened since episode 1. While it was quite immersive to see Washington reflect on everything he had been through, there is still no getting around the fact that it's just two episodes telling us what we already know from the previous ones. I would have preferred they have used two episodes to tell us what he did as president, or gone into more detail on what happened from after the revolution to the time he became president. That wasn't a requirement for the series, as it only says it's about the revolution, but it still would have been a much better use of the final episodes then simple recaps.

But overall this is an excellent documentary at a reasonable price. If you want to learn more about the revolution, this is a pick you can't go wrong with.
55 comments|26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 17, 2012
I bought this series to use in my class while teaching about the American Revolution. I teach 5th/6th graders so I was nervous it would be too dry and grusome. Most of it was good material to show my students. The information is shown in an interesting way so the students liked it.
on March 20, 2012
When I first started to watch the first disk, I was bored with it but not because I knew everything being told. It was how it was being told. The narrator is good but not great. His enunciation is excellent and is easy to understand but doesn't have a flair which is partly what makes me sit with rapt attention. By the 2nd DVD, I had become more involved and things started to get interesting. I found the story behind Benedict Arnold completely facinating since I never knew the whole truth. Our teachers obviously edited the story when I was growing up and sadly they probably still do. To me, the price alone was worth that. What annoyed me were small things like repeating a frame over and over for a different story line. Then, they did not tell all things chronoligically. Aside from this, I rank it a 3.5 which is still a very good review rating. Overall this is worth a viewing.
on March 18, 2014
Used in homeschool over the course of a six month study and it was exceptionally well produced, FANTASTICALLY narrated and laid out so perfectly that it really pulled the complexity and social struggle together. AMAZINGLY cohesive piece. Laid the perfect foundation for my children's study of the declaration of independence and the constitution. Knowing how everything together really helped them to understand why the Framers established the country in the way that they did. My children have a full grasp on how paranoid our founders really were about a repeat of life without independence. Maps, battle information.. all so well laid out I had naught to do but pause and explain. Everything I needed was right there! Great stuff!
on August 5, 2013
I first saw this on the History Channel and was amazed at the history behind the Revolutionary War. There are details in this presentation that the history books never talk about. We read and here about the battles but not much of the whys and war wherefores behind them. This is a great series that answers these questions . If you are interested in the American Revolution this is it..
on February 27, 2013
I'm a home schooler, so my Daughter watched it (in segments) over the internet,
a very well done piece without political slants, bought the set, so we could watch
it in it's entirety without the breaks, and then went to most of the actual sites, I
thought it was a great teaching tool.
on August 2, 2012
What I really liked about this series were the stories and how they tie everything together. I never really understood the political machinations of the Revolutionary military until watching this or how the war ended. We always learned about the Boston Massacre, Bunker Hill, the Declaration of Independence, the fact that we fought a non-traditional war, and then we signed a peace treaty at Yorktown. Some of this was accurate. Some of it not obviously.

What really hooked me in this set were the episodes when the war turned toward the South. I never really learned any of that. It also really showed what made Washington a great leader and painted a great portrait of him vs, Henry Clinton. One saw the opportunity to win the war and seized it. The other had a great time in New York.

I had always been a Civil War buff and then I watched this and became much more interested in the Revolutionary era.
on September 19, 2011
This set of DVDs gives a great overview of the entire Revolutionary War, including all the major battles, the campaigns themselves and some of the political goings on behind the scenes. It is well made and a great value for the money.
on May 1, 2015
“The Revolution” isn’t your average textbook version of the Revolutionary War. The show puts great emphasis on the stories of people who participated in the war. In addition, most people don’t know the whole story of the Revolution such as the fighting that took place down South. One of the shows strongpoints are the very well done battle re-enactments. My only gripe with the show was that they reused a lot of the footage. For instance, whenever George Washington gets angry they use the same footage of him knocking over things on table and looking out the window. Overall, I highly recommend this show for anyone who wants to know more about the Revolutionary War.
Excellent. Was as I remembered as originally viewed it. A great addition to any revolutionary war or historical video library - would not consider this to be an overall comprehensive source but a very good and specific item to own.