4,977
Price:$25.39 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

1,488 of 1,573 people found the following review helpful
on November 27, 2012
Color Name: Grape
First off, I would like to explain that this may be an ongoing review. I just bought this item last night, and being a person who understands electronics, I usually wait for my reviews. This time, I figured I would start the review, and then I can come back and edit. Therefore, you may see some updates or changes below.

Second, don't let my initial 4-star rating fool you. I was torn on how to rate this product for the value of what you pay, or vs. other speakers. I decided to put this up against much larger bluetooth speakers, and I think it speaks volumes that a $40 item is 4-stars compared to $150 bluetooth portable speakers.

I'm going to start with what most peopls call "cons", but I'm just going to note them as minor nuisances

-The cord is only about 6 inches long....BUT...its your standard android type charger. Since I'm a Samsung Galaxy boy, myself, I have a ton of these cables. It is currently charging with an old LG cable I found

-Some have mentioned a slight hum in the speaker. This is pretty common with most Bluetooth devices. This goes away when you start playing music. There have been some that said, "once you hear the hum, you always hear the hum". I purposely turned the music all the way down just to hear the hum. I listened to it at my desk for 5 minutes, and then played music again. I don't notice any hum, and I am TRYING to hear it. So, although there is, in fact, a hum, I'm not noticing it when in use.

-Its not a great bass machine, but again, is this really a con? Do people buy a prius to drag-race? Cannot really hold that against this machine, so again...that is why I said a "minor nuisance" (and that is a stretch)

-The power switch is on the bottom

-There is an extreeeeeemly loud series of beeps every time you turn it on. You know its coming, so you can try to shield it. Its still somewhat annoying, and not good for starting up in quiet places. There may be a way around this, I just haven not figured it out.

-The controls on the speaker itself are a little slow to respond, but honestly, who is going to use this? It is only a minor delay anyway. I just tested them to see what they were. I control everything from my phone.

I tried this thing out approximately 10 times in Bed Bath and Beyond. I kept messing with their display and was rather disappointed that I couldn not try my own music on their display. So, that kept me from trying it at first. Plus, I am always concerned that the display model is set up differently and it just won't sound as good at home in larger rooms...which takes me to my pros, and what I love about this (so far)

-The sound fills a room. Its not that massive BOSE sound, but its pretty close in how it fills a room. I listen to a lot of 90's acoustic rock and that stuff sounds incredible. Now, if you get to some of the newer club-rap type of music, there is not a lot of power, but it doesn't sound distorted either. Still sounds good, it just is not going to blow your hair back and rattle windows

-I had the phone about 15 feet away from the device and it played beautifully. What is funny is Pandora played clearer than my recorded music...here is why that is a pro. Because, I realized a lot of my recorded music is garbage from the internet and typically poor recordings, which leads me to believe that this device really picks out the clarity of songs. Much like a good set of headphones might actually make some of my bad recording actually sound bad because the headphones are so clear.

-The construction is very sturdy

- (pending a battery test)

- any standard charger that comes with most android phones can charge this.

-line in that will work with non-USB devices

-packaging is actually very nice. I will keep this for storage.

If you are skeptical about buying this, just buy it from a place that has easy returns. Thus far, I have no desire to return it. As far as performance goes, it is a solid 5-star product for the price. Again, I gave it four stars only because its slightly not as powerful as some bigger, more expensive speakers. I realize that may not be a fair assessment, but, again, I think it speaks more to the product that I give it 4 stars in comparing it to the larger portable Bluetooth speakers. I think the only way I would have a problem with this speaker in the future, is if for some reason performance decreases, or I find that the battery lasts a very short amount of time. I will update this, if needed, in the future. If you don't hear from me, that means its still doing well :)
3636 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 18, 2013
Color Name: GreyVerified Purchase
I have been seeing so many mixed reviews for different products that I decided to buy a few, try them out, and decide for myself which one I'm going to keep. So I ended up buying the 4 speakers that have high ratings:
Accessorise (tm) Portable Bluetooth Wireless Mini Speaker System,
Alpatronix AX300 X-tra Strong Bluetooth Portable Mini Capsule Speaker,
DBEST London Duo Bluetooth Rechargeable Mini-Speaker Set (PS4003BT-RB),
HMDX Audio HX-P230GY JAM Classic Bluetooth Wireless Speaker,
and X-Mini KAI XAM11-B Bluetooth Capsule Speaker.

Having tested them, I thought I would post my review here in the hopes that it would clear out doubts for others. Here are the results of my testing. In each category, I have ranked them 1-5, with 1 being my favorite, and 5 being the least favorite:

Design:
#1: I have to say Alpatronix speakers claim the spot hands down! Right out of the box, my son was about to steal it from me. He ended up doing so anyway, but I managed to keep him away from it until I finished testing the speaker. The speaker is sleek with rubberized finish and a chrome sleeve on the top and the sides. It's also the most portable onewithout compromising sound quality. The packaging is also very classy (for gifting), and is fun just to open. Kinda like apple products! It looks very sophisticated indeed.
#2 spot goes to HMDX JAM. I have to say I wasn't that crazy about the shape of the actual speaker which is just a cylinder, but the box is like a jam jar, which I thought was cool for children. The speaker is much bigger than the other ones and doesn't fit comfortably in the pocket of my jeans. It's also VERY heavy considering the size, so you'll feel it in your pocket if you are finally able to fit it in.
#3 spot goes to DBEST. It looks like the Alpatronix without the chrome, and also looks like X-Mini KAI. It's not very portable because it has 2 speakers so I can't fit it into my pocket. Even my wife who normally carries a big purse wants to have the smallest possible option, which is definitely not this one.
#4 spot goes to X-Mini KAI. Again, it looks and functions like the Alpatronix, but without the chrome band. Other than that, it looks like a black blob... nothing special. The packaging doesn't look bad. Hard plastic packaging dressed with thin cardboard dressing.
#5 spot goes to Accessories. This looked really cool in pictures but actually the plastic looks cheap. Size is very small, similar to Alpatronix, and KAI but doesn't expand. The packaging is thin flexible plastic and looks cheapish. I don't recommend it for a gift.

Sound:
I tested the speakers with different types of music: Pop, rock, hiphop, house, and classical. Also I charged all the speakers fully before testing.
#1: HMDX JAM. The sound is louder in this speaker. This must be due to the bigger size, which means a bigger and wider speaker in the device. However, I didn't like the bass level relative to the volume level, and the weight and size are a big negative.
#2: Alpatronix. In expanded form, it has a very nice sound and covers both high and low ends really well, with a very nicely developed sound. When I first played it, I thought it was weak until I read the user manual which indicated the speaker turns on at mid volume and that you can increase it to full volume with the little knob that controls most of the functions. Can't believe this little thing makes such big sound!
#3: DBEST. The sound on this speaker is ok. Considering there's 2 speakers, I just expected more! Considering the negatives mentioned in the design, I didn't bother testing it for too long as I was sadly disappointed with the first couple songs I played.
#4: X-Mini KAI. This one just sounds weak. Being about the size and shape of the Alpatronix and DBEST, I was expecting it to perform about the same, but the sound is just really weak even at full volume. It has a nicely developed sound but it just doesn't get loud.
#5: Accessories. The sound is as loud as the HMDX JAM. But the positives stop here. It just covers the highs, and nothing of the lows. No bass at all, and screeching at full blast!

Conclusion:
#1: Alpatronix AX300 was the most well-rounded speaker, meeting everything the manufacturer claims. It's portable, VERY nice sound, great packaging, and good price!
#2: HMDX JAM has good sound, but not very portable. Don't like the shape, weight, or size. The packaging looks cool if you are into jam jars, but I purchased it for portability and sound. It met the sound qualification, but definitely not the other criteria.
#3: DBEST. Like #2, but the sound is not as good. That's why this one receives #3.
#4: X-Mini KAI. I would avoid it if possible. Weak sound, but nice portability.
#5: Accessories. I would not spend money on this. Bad sound, cheap look, and cheap packaging. Like a singer who sings beyond their voice range. No bass at all and screaming!

Good luck with your purchase! I have to go get me another Alpatronix AX300 now that my son has the first one :)
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon October 26, 2012
Color Name: StrawberryVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm always looking for new ways to get portable sound to boost what I get from my iPhone and iPads. I was excited to test out a wireless set of speakers at such a low price point. What I can say is I was pleasantly surprised by all of the following:

+ Nice design to the speaker that just feels like a solidly built product.
+ Rubber bottom on speaker allows it to easily grip onto surfaces.
+ Sound is clear with some decent level of bass for such a small speaker. I tried all types of music including classical and did not experience some of the "humming" reported by others. I'm not sure if this was addressed by the manufacturer in later versions, but I was impressed and saw only minimal distortion at full volume.
+ Bluetooth range was impressive as I saw minimal distortion only when getting beyond about 15 feet. Keep in mind that most Bluetooth devices ranges advertised are maximum with some distortion, so 30 ft is what you get before you just flat out get an abundance of distortion. I did find that solid objects like walls will limit the range, which you find with other Bluetooth products.
+ Pairing was simple with all my iOS devices.
+ Added bonus of having an AUX in and Play/Pause controls on the speaker even though it's unnecessary, since you can use your device as a remote for the speaker. The AUX in is a nice tough for anyone who doesn't have Bluetooth support, but then again I would not purchase a speaker whose main purpose is Bluetooth for a device without Bluetooth.
+ Included packaging is re-usable for storage, which is convenient.

The only thing that was really a small negative for me is that the cable provided for charging is rather short and unless your outlet is close enough to a solid surface you may have to leave the speaker hanging for charging, but this was something I easily saw past.

Overall this is a very solid Bluetooth speaker at a great price point when compared to other similar options. It's a great entry point for anyone interested in a Bluetooth speaker. Keep in mind that all my testing was performed on iOS devices. I tested on an iPhone 5, iPad 1 and iPad 2. iPhone 5 was running iOS 6 and the iPads were running iOS 5.

********* I received this product for free as part of the Amazon.com Vine program. Nonetheless, I review the product in the same manner as I would if I had purchased it myself. *********
1818 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 15, 2013
Color Name: GreyVerified Purchase
Loved it at first, It sounds great. but a few months after using it at home it stopped charging. Had to permanently have it plugged into the wall. A few months after that the USB connector housing fell out completely. Now i can't charge it anymore. Going in the trash
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 23, 2013
Color Name: Strawberry
** Also see a Product Image posted by me**
Bought this one from a local store yesterday; it was more expensive than Amazon but I didn't want to risk not-liking the speaker and shipping back to Amazon; also the money difference wasn't much anyway.

The speaker have given life to our outdoor entertainment already! We enjoy the outdoors on our screened-in-porch, often enjoying sites like You Tube, Netflix, and Amazon Instant Video streamings. We just had to either listen via laptop's speakers or put on headphones. But this speaker was immediately detected by my (and wife's) Acer W510 running Windows 8; the 'drivers' were installed without any problem. Even if we both can't seem to 'connect' to the speaker at the same time we will manage to share the usage. She is looking forward to enjoying the music while cooking.

There is no humming, whatsoever. The speaker does sound almost busted when the bass/volume is real high but most of the time the quality is pretty good. Well, we have three home-theater surround systems in our house with outputs from 300-500 watts so we are probably spoiled.

Finally, the speaker is so light that you could almost carry it in your hand and dance on the music--should you so choose :)

This morning I played music wirelessly for at least 3 hours before I decided that enough of music--the claimed 4 hours is probably going to work.

Please feel free to ask questions. I think connecting via a Windows 8 Bluetooth interface is a learning experience for us because we are trying share between us--we could probably answer questions about that.
review image
on June 28, 2013
Color Name: GreyVerified Purchase
Alright so if you just are casually looking on here through bluetooth speakers you will see that this little gem has a ton of good reviews and a few terrible reviews. So believing in the majority I went ahead and bought this item about a month ago and have been very very disappointed with it. Alright here is the pro, it does have great sound for the size speaker that it is. Alright now that thats over with here are the cons:

Bad build quality, have to turn the on off switch back and forth multiple times for the thing to turn on, bluetooth connectivity was great at first but as of recently the sound has been cracking and the connection has been failing. I mainly play my iphone 5 and macbook through the speaker and they are never more than 10 feet from the device so there should be no problem with the connection but there is. Probably the most annoying thing about this speaker is the battery life and the way it charges. First of all forget trying to simply plug it in to your computer and play it while it charges because it will simply shut off or the sound will begin to crack then it will shut off. Also once the thing is fully charged dont expect it to last very long. I would say it would be amazing to get an hour out of this thing problem free. I just got home from work and after letting the speaker charge for over 12 hrs it will not play for more than 30 seconds without simply shutting off for no apparent reason. The battery light was green and it should be fully charged so I have no idea why it is deciding to cut off randomly. Also the tiny usb cord that is used to charge the thing is only about 6 inches long which is extremely inconvenient. Anyways I hope that someone finds this review helpful, I thought it would be a good product at the pricepoint its at, and i didn't expect a whole lot for 40 bucks, but after using it I can see that I should have just paid more for a quality name brand instead of something of mediocre quality. DONT WASTE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY ON THIS PRODUCT IT WILL ONLY DISAPPOINT.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 23, 2013
Color Name: StrawberryVerified Purchase
I use this speaker every day via the 3.5mm input as my computer's speaker. It has a great frequency range and clarity for it's size. Good volume too. I watch television shows on my computer sometimes, and I play music. Wish it had more shielding as I sometimes get static when using the 3.5mm input, but all computer speakers I've tried have had that problem on my setup. Occasionally I take it out use it via bluetooth to play music on my deck or in my garage with my kindle fire HD and galaxy nexus. Pairing and playing music is seemless. Make sure you note that it is powered/charged via USB.
on June 1, 2013
Color Name: Strawberry
This product is wonderful (within the scope of what the manufacturer says that it will do) when it works. I bought three of these units for my kids for Christmas in 2012. Our equipment all connected easily to the devices that we used with the HMDX Jam; the iPhone 3, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, HTC Inspire and Samsung Galaxy II Skyrocket flawlessly worked on all three units. They were a big hit and the kids loved them. That's one personality, which is a desirable one.

Five months later, only 1 works. Two of the three will no longer charge and will not operate even though they have direct AC power. The company's website was worthless from a support perspective. Frankly, I have not tried directly contacting the company because the reviews have not shown that customer service is very capable (and appears it only added to the overall frustration of the 1 star posters above). The fact that I haven't given the company a chance to respond, perhaps, is unfair; however, the company's willingness to waste a consumer's time isn't fair to consumers either. So, I chose to avoid that potential and additional frustration. Resorting to the web, I have searched for solutions for the performance failure and have only found users (albeit a distinct minority) complaining about this product. While the complaints are not overwhelming in volume, the complaints seem to be consistent with (1) the product's general inability to connect consistently via Bluetooth and (2) the company's inability to solve the problem. Perhaps I missed it, but I found no one identifying a problem directly on point with mine, so maybe I have a new problem that others haven't experienced yet. With some luck for the company, maybe I'll be owner of the only two units that won't charge or work via an AC source. That being said, with the unsatisfactory resolution to the others' complaints and the fact that two of three units have failed within six months, I will condemn this product as one not worthy of your hard-earned money. That's the second personality, which is not a desirable one.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 27, 2013
Color Name: StrawberryVerified Purchase
The speaker looses bluetooth connection all the time (with MacBook Air). The battery seems to last 20-30 mins max. Regretful purchase.
on November 7, 2012
Color Name: StrawberryVerified Purchase
This is a great little speaker. The new smart phones are very good at connecting with it.

I can't agree with a previous review about the humming noise. Yes it hums IF it is turned to full volume and you have turned your music device down to low... your smart phone or player should be up to full volume and then you should use the volume on the speaker to control the volume. Magic>>> NO HUM. This is true with any connection. this same hum will occur on my home stereo if I use the volume on my player to control the volume instead of the speaker volume control.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations