Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Beauty Videos Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

on July 18, 2013
I bought this piece a couple years ago after a long power outage. It's also big enough to power up my RV air conditioner ( 13,500 Btu). As with ANY generator you have to pick and choose what you are going to run at once due to the rated output/ max output and your load. ANYTHING that produces heat, ie. toasters, coffee makers, hair driers, incandescent lights,RV refrigerators and any motors much more than 1/2 Hp. that start under load, ie. sump pumps suck a lot of power ( this you have to pay attention to, no joke! ). At 77lbs it is half the weight of a comparable cheap generator. At 65Db you can stand next to it and carry on a conversation while you listen to your neighbors cheap generators running a block away. The built in wheel kit and handle kit make mobility a snap. My wife can even pull the recoil and get it connected ( yes it is that effortless to start).

With the idle circuit and inverter construction not only is your power clean enough for flat screens and computers, it has another very neat feature. You see, cheap generators normally operate at 3600rpm. If you buy one with a conventional idle down circuit (that will boost your cost by close to a grand !) and it will instantly jump from idle to 3600 rpm irregardless of how much load is on it. In either case it will suck a lot of fuel $$$$. The idle circuit on this Honda inverter will gradually ramp up proportionate to the load. I had a GenTran manual 30A transfer switch ( < $200 ) with 6 circuits put into the breaker panel of the house to operate critical circuits ( no AC, no well pump, have CFC light bulbs). It takes less than 2 minutes to be up, connected to the transfer switch, isolated form ComEd and operational ( even by my wife!). Over a 24 hr period with intermittant shutdown overnight, I might burn a couple gallons of gasoline. It powers my fridge, tv, bathroom, bedroom,kitchen lights and will power up the control circuits and blower on the gas furnace! BTW invest in a 10 ga. 25 ft twist lock extension cord. 12 or 14 ga won't cut it!

I chose this over the electric start model, even though the electric start has .2 Kw greater max out put, a few ccs larger egine, about 3Db less noise and at least double the fuel tank capacity. My thought here were that the electric start added at least 50 lbs to it. At 65 Db it was still one of the quietest available, AND if it is infrequently used it would be just my luck that the battery would be dead or need replacement when I needed it the most. BTW the electric start model may be very slightly less $$. At modest load, it still will run about 8-10 hrs on 1 tank of fuel ( 1.4 gal). If you are experiencing a wide spread power outage, how much gas do you keep on hand and what is the availability of fuel when you need it?

No question this is an expensive piece and worth it for my $$. Honda's reputation in the generator business is well deserved.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again

See 1 answered question