4.0 out of 5 stars 50 dollar follow focus? It's worth a fortune to me!
Published 15 months ago by C. Lynch

I really wish it came with two lens belts. The only one that comes with it is too small for most of my lenses. To buy a bigger belt, you have to order directly from their website, where they charge WAY too much for shipping a single belt that could probably be easily shipped in a single letter sized stamped envelope.

Second, the belt doesn't always grip the...
Published 10 months ago by Adam and Liz Orton

4.0 out of 5 stars 50 dollar follow focus? It's worth a fortune to me!, January 5, 2013
C. Lynch (Reynoldsburg, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50-Dollar Follow Focus (Electronics)
I am a newbie filmmaker still learning the ropes. One thing that I learned quickly was that I needed to either be a millionaire to enjoy this hobby (possible profession?), or be content watching others do it on Vimeo! That's why I think HONDO GARAGE'S 50 DOLLAR FOLLOW FOCUS is so cool! The guys behind this thing pitched their idea on Kickstarter in order to raise the capital ($10,000) needed to build and sell this ingenious device. The response was so overwhelming, not only did they meet their target goal but more than doubled it!

The Hondo Garage follow focus is very well constructed and small, not at all cheaply made with a very pleasing aesthetic. The small size was important especially when using my dslr cage rig. With my matte box, cage, microphone, LCD monitor, etc.,etc., assembled, the follow focus attached quite easily. Unlike the traditional follow focus, the 50 Dollar follow focus is incredibly precise. Most traditional follow focus' have a gear enclosure, and with more gears there is more room for "play" while turning the focus knob. Not so with Hondo Garage's follow focus, as they describe it, "Inherent gear reduction means precise focus control, even on cheap photo lenses", and I find this to be true. The Hondo Garage follow focus also has a repositionable lever so you can set marks and use it even on long-throw lenses.

We all know that the camera we use when filming is important, however the glass (lenses) are more important than the camera body. And unfortunately to get a really good piece of cine-glass is going to cost a fortune, so why spend $2,3,4 or even $500+ on a follow focus kit, when In my opinion some pretty clever guys came up with an awesome solution! I'll take the hundreds of dollars I saved and spend it on quality glass! Regrettably I did not purchase it from Amazon - they only had the follow focus, not the entire kit. The kit includes adapters for various lens sizes and an adapter for utilizing a follow focus whip. Hopefully Amazon in the future will pick up more Hondo Garage gear! I recommend this to anyone looking for a truly inexpensive, quality built follow focus for their film/video needs!

4.0 out of 5 stars You cannot beat this kind of functionality for the price point., November 29, 2012
This review is from: 50-Dollar Follow Focus (Electronics)
The guys over at Hondo Garage not only make well designed and thought out products, they also have a sense of humor not found in most up tight industry based businesses of their ilk. The combination is a one-two punch for awesomeness of ginormous epic proportions. I purchased the $50 Follow Focus unit based on it's simplicity and beautiful design. I know most industry folks will balk at the thought of using a FF unit that only costs $50 on a film set/shoot location, but let them spend $800 on a RedrockMicro FF unit. I will use this elegant little contrabulation and spend my $750 on something useful, like investing in a film crew comprised entirely of Carnival Gypsies, or perhaps a DP that also happens to be a fire juggling Grizzly Bear. Who cares when you have this much badassery packed into such a small frame? I was also the fortunate recipient of some double top secret so-far-unreleased gear to field test, and let me tell you, these guys are on FIRE with their design concepts and product features. To top it all off, everything has wonderful fit and finish with anodized knobs and counter sunk screw holes. If you are STILL on the fence about whether you should purchase this FF unit, just go out and smash your face with a 2x4 covered in random pages torn from a Twilight book, because that's what being a total lametard feels like and being a total lametard is bad. Like, Kristen Stewart bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product., January 25, 2013
This review is from: 50-Dollar Follow Focus (Electronics)
Dear friends. I had a trouble with the belt, because my camera has a 50 mm 1.8 II Canon lens, so the belt derails. I think it is a good idea to add a second less width belt. I took a similar 2 mm width belt from a printer and it was perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well built / designed and manufactored in the USA!, June 19, 2013
This review is from: 50-Dollar Follow Focus (Electronics)
This is the CHEAPEST follow focus unit you will find. But do not let price fool you! I was not sure what to expect for 50 bucks, however when I installed it and began testing it exceeded my hopes by a long shot. The 50-dollar follow focus offers very smooth zooming and focusing with a near fluid feel that can be set to your preferences by the set screw on the gear ( video available on hondo garage web site). The overall construction of this piece of gold really blows me away. Not only is it built in the good ole U.S. of A, but it is built well. Top notch materials and a brilliant design. It is also very easy on the eye and give a very technical I am a professional look to your gear without killing your budget. I will be ordering a few more for my other rigs in the very near future!

5.0 out of 5 stars definitely a keeper.., June 5, 2013
This review is from: 50-Dollar Follow Focus (Electronics)
This little guy is amazing. It works perfectly and the company that makes them is really cool too. Bought this thinking it would be a good substitute until I could afford a gear based one. Now I think ill just stick with this. Its really actually quite a joy to use. Smooth and durable definitely recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, great price., April 4, 2014
M. Berlin (Bay Area, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50-Dollar Follow Focus (Electronics)
I have a DSLR shoulder rig and needed a cost-effective follow focus. This works really well for what I need, and I actually like the lever action as opposed to the wheel action of other products.

I've had a few instances where I've had to adjust the tension of the unit on the 15mm rod, but overall I'm quite happy with it and would recommend it to anyone looking for a good solution at a low cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, January 5, 2014
This review is from: 50-Dollar Follow Focus (Electronics)
You can't beat it for the price. Even if it costs a buck or two more ($55.00), it still is a solid product and works as advertised. I'd recommend it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth Action Follow Focus, November 10, 2013
This review is from: 50-Dollar Follow Focus (Electronics)
Simple to use and extremely effective, especially for the low price. The action is very smooth and sturdy, it is easily disassembled and simply works great! Enough said.

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs a bigger belt for most lenses, and a better way to grip, June 10, 2013
This review is from: 50-Dollar Follow Focus (Electronics)

Second, the belt doesn't always grip the focus well depending on the lens. If there is even a slight bit of resistance to your focus ring (most pro lenses have some resistance and there isn't compatible cleating on your ring, this belt will probably slip at the worst possible time. This is my biggest complaint. They do offer a different grip wheel for extra $$ (again offered on their external website with overpriced shipping), but i didn't want to spend any more money without the guarantee it would work.

I ended up inventing my own grip for my lens which involves putting a strip of gaff tape folded in loops around the outside of the lens, so that the sticky side comes in contact with the belt and gives it extra traction. However, this is more than I wanted to do when I purchased this. If you have small stock lenses with barely any resistance to them, this device will work. Otherwise, get the real deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is Awesome!, April 29, 2013
This review is from: 50-Dollar Follow Focus (Electronics)
I'm a part-time video producer and don't have a ton of money to sink into equipment. I've been picking up stuff as I go along but the cost of a decent follow focus has been ridiculous. It's just a geared wheel yet some companies want over $300! I read the reviews on this one and ordered and I'm not disappointed! This is a smooth, solid, well-made piece of equipment! It's machining is extremely good, smooth, no burrs, teeth are excellent and it looks great too. There was a slight delay in shipping and Hondo sent me an email explaining why and a free rebuild kit. That's some good customer service! NOTE: If you are buying to use with Canon L Series lenses be sure to get a large belt. The one that comes with it won't fit. I wound up ordering a large belt and the 50-Dollar Follow Focus PRO Pack so I can have one to pull focus and one to zoom.

ARRAY(0xa9e14c9c)