on December 25, 2011
My hands would always cramp playing my 3DS, but using this attachment gives the 3DS the same feeling as holding a console controller. Don't let the "steering wheel" name throw you off. This makes your 3DS much more comfortable in your hands. Ports / stylus / sliders are all accessible. Highly recommend it.
on January 3, 2012
As another reviewer pointed out, think of this product as a grip rather than a wheel. It makes the 3DS much more comfortable to hold, and I can't say enough good things about the L/R buttons. The grip comes with its own L/R buttons and they cover the ones on the 3DS. They are larger and are much easier to press.

The 3DS can be mounted and unmounted very easily. Obviously it makes the system less travel-friendly, but it's a great accessory to have at home especially when playing for an extended amount of time.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a hunk of plastic that holds your 3DS. It mimics a steering wheel, just like the steering wheel accessory for the Wii. At first glance it seems kind of silly. Certainly, using this with Mario Kart 3DS is the obvious use, but as others have pointed out - it is a good alternative to holding the 3DS with other games - particularly if you have big hands. And the price is certainly right.

The minor issues are that shoulder button control is more mushy - they still work fine, but it doesn't have quite the same positive feel. The other issue is that it is big. This is simply the way it is, so when traveling you won't be able to put it in your happy little 3DS case. But again - it's a hunk of plastic that can stand abuse.

Will it make you a better game player? Perhaps not. Does it make the 3DS more comfortable to hold for marathon gaming sessions? Yes. Is it a reasonable price? Yes.

The other option that may be worth considering, if you want a bit more more bulk on your 3DS, is Nintendo's Circle Pad Pro accessory. It is more expensive - and is not guaranteed to work with all games out there - the game expressly has to have support for it. But it's extra size may make it more comfortable to hold. And of course, there are other grip add-ons for the 3DS as well.

It is kind of funny to think that Nintendo's industrial designers worked hard to make the 3DS a reasonable size (which explains it's somewhat mediocre batter life) - and now we have several accessories that make it bulkier - and actually makes it easier to hold for long sessions.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 9, 2013
My great grandson uses it all the time. He loves Mario Cart. I would definately recommend this.I would buy it again.
on May 21, 2012
It's evident the 3DS was not designed with adults in mind. Especially adults with hands that cramp and hurt after you've played for ten minutes. Releasing this addon could be seen as a way of cashing in on yet another apparent design flaw, either way, I'm pleased they did.

The name "Mario Kart 7 wheel" is a bit misleading, it works with all games in that it gives a firmer grip, and so far my hands haven't cramped from using it. Playing Mario Kart 7 in 1st person mode where you can tilt the wheel is gimmicky at best, especially since you want to play it with its lush graphics when you have the 3D turned on.

I found it easier to reach the L and R buttons since they are included on the wheel, making other games (such as Resident Evil: Revelations) much easier to play.

If you find your hands cramping from playing any length of time on the 3DS you can't go wrong with this wheel. It holds good value and will make you enjoy the handheld much more.
on April 4, 2012
I was looking for a grip accessory for 3DS that would make playing Kid Icarus: Uprising (hereafter Uprising) more comfortable. (Again, I didn't buy this for Mario Kart 7, although I think this would work great with that game, too.)
As I haven't tried other popular grips, this review doesn't include any comparisons.

So, here's what I felt about Hori 3DS Wheel for the said game (and others).

The peculiar control scheme of Uprising simply doesn't allow a comfortable and extensive gameplay.
While the Wheel does alleviate the pain in your left hand to some extent, it's not perfect.

1. As many other reviewers have noted, the shoulder buttons are much better than the ones on 3DS itself,
mostly because they are much bigger.

2. I also like the way the product is designed to hold 3DS.
It's similar to the Circle Pad Pro. There's no 'clicking' but the hold is firm,
and therefore no danger of breaking the often fragile connecting part of the peripheral or of scratching 3DS.

3. The lower part of the Wheel's curve was useful when playing DS games that are better suited for D-pad.

4. In cases of certain games that have to be played with the stylus for the most part
and require some tough and nimble controls (just like Uprising),
the Wheel's grip (i.e., the handle part) is a little bit small to be comfortable.

Yes, it's certainly better than the not-at-all-ergonomic design of the stock 3DS.
Nevertheless, your left hand that has to solely support the weight of 3DS (and at the same time
continuously press L trigger in the case of Uprising)
and the hand still feels a bit 'cramped' after a while
because the diameter of the handle part is simply not big enough.

Imagine you're holding the steering wheel of a real car.
When grabbing it, four of your fingers can go all the way around the wheel and meet your thumb.
This is impossible with the Hori Wheel.
Of course it should be impossible, because there's always be 3DS itself between the thumb and the other fingers.
Yet, the other four fingers meet the bottom of the Wheel BEFORE you grab on it completely
(in other words, there still remains some space between the center part of your palm and the Wheel,
which causes the unnecessary tension in your hands, the exact tension that people try to avoid
by buying this kind of grip accessories).
FYI, I'm a guy and about 5'7" tall, and my hands are not too big nor too small for that height,
and I'm pretty sure many of the adult, male customers willing to buy this kind of grips
would have even bigger hands.

So, the verdict:

The Wheel is well constructed, just like other products from Hori.
Overall, it's smoothly designed, and seems quite durable as there aren't any thin parts that might break.
(This durability will, I think, appeal to parents who want to buy this for their little kids.)
Yet, considering that hand grip accessories for 3DS are most of all made to make
prolonged gameplays comfortable, I wonder why there's not a single manufacturer
who just makes it bigger. I mean, no matter how big or small the peripheral may be,
it won't fit any containers designed for the original size anyways.

For Kid Icarus: Uprising, the Wheel is better than the stock 3DS,
but don't expect that your pain will go away completely.

The Wheel is not expensive, so although it's not perfect, I don't regret the purchase.
I guess I should rather blame the control scheme of Uprising, not this product.
on July 13, 2014
I didn't buy this grip for Mario Kart, though it excels in that purpose - I bought it for Super Smash Bros. at the recommendation of Smashboards, and I haven't regretted it.

The gap in the bottom makes this grip equally suitable as a racing wheel and an ordinary controller. Though the game I originally bought it for is not out yet, it's proven itself under stress in games like Street Fighter IV. The grip is very comfortable and the larger L/R buttons make some of the more awkward commands very simple.

Another point of appeal is that it's fairly compact. If an unaccessorized 3DS fits very comfortably in your pocket, this is an option of you want to maintain portability.

In short, if you're a hardcore gamer on a budget, this is an ideal option.
on May 22, 2013
bought with Mario Kart 7 good gift for our grandson, he was glad to have it to play and enjoy.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Received as part of the Amazon Vine Review Program, I didn't think much of it upon first glance. Attached it to my daughter's Nintendo 3DS and was immediately impressed! The build quality and attachment is solid. The controller reminds me more of an 'old school' controller that even old folks like me can appreciate and easily use. I'm terrible at Mario Kart (generally speaking), but with this attached to the 3DS, I have improved my score and had more fun playing it. I'd highly recommend picking one up for your Nintendo 3DS. Remember it works with both 3D and regular DS games.
on April 5, 2013
I get frequent hand cramps using the 3ds with certain games. This fixed all ergonomic issues. The L and R button placement is also a welcome change, and may be one of the best reasons to purchase this. If you take any issue with the design of the 3ds, I highly recommend it.