Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now DOTD

on February 12, 2013
After trying out a Skinomi screen protector for my 3DS XL (which was absolutely horrendous), I decided to go for this one from several recommendations made to me.

The bottom screen protector went on flawlessly. They have a pretty nice system for applying the screen protector (when it works). My favorite part about the bottom screen protector is the friction. There is very little! The stylus feels very similar to the way it does on the naked screen, a big plus.

The top screen gave me a bit more trouble. My first attempt failed miserably. The applicator method (the bottom layer that slides away) ripped and ultimately ruined the application process. I had contacted Amazon to get a replacement, which they happily obliged. The second one came and the applicator worked. However, there was a ripple in the actual screen protector that, no matter how much massaging I do, will not come out. It has left a elongated bubble in my top left corner. I have tried to reapply to no avail. It's a deformity in the material itself, and it's apparent when I lift that part of the screen protector off the screen and see how the material itself is actually "dented". It's not hair, it's not dust, it's an actual "dent" in the screen protector. Unfortunately, me being anally retentive about these things, will not settle for this. I will likely have to try and get a third replacement or go for another solution.
77 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon August 26, 2013
Purchased a 3DS XL and the first thing I usually do is protect it. So I went looking for a protective screen. Previously with our DS Lite, we went with a HORI and it has held up so I went looking towards HORI again. I had no trouble applying the protective screen. The steps are basically, clean the 3DS XL screen with supplied cloth, set protector on screen, while held down by tape, slide out underneath film, protector covers screen, smooth away bubbles, finally, remove top film. This method helps avoid dust and lint as much as possible from dropping in between just before one applies the protector (I hate it when that happens). I'll be honest, in the end, I had a small bubble that could not be removed, it was on the very top edge, but I just left it. It wasn't worth the hassle of removing and reapplying, and possibly introducing new lint and dust in the middle.

There are two camps on whether protection for the screen is required. Some say as long as you wipe before each use and make sure the pen tip is not damaged in any way, the factory screen will stay scratch free. Others say it's only a matter of time and it's going to scratch in due time. Personally, I rather protect it right out the box so I recommend it and I would definitely buy it again.

UPDATE 8/31/13: Ok, I mentioned the little bubble that was on the top on my top screen? I undid the screen protector from the corner to that area and carefully re-applied the protector back. No bubble anymore. The HORI screen protector is thinner than the common smartphone and tablet protectors so it was easy to lift and bend back. Usually, the smartphone and tablet protectors are thicker and for those who do not have the experience with them, they are rather stiff and reworking just a small area can be sometimes hard. Originally, I gave 4 stars, revised to 5 stars for the ease of re-application.

Please click YES if my review have been helpful to you, it will encourage me to continue writing and updating my reviews, and leave a comment if you have any questions, I will be more than happy to answer if I can be of help.
44 comments|84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 21, 2012
It took me 10mins overall to apply these screen protectors, but it was well worth my time because they are great and fit like a custom made glove. These 10 long minutes are due to the fact that I abhor dust and air bubbles (so much so that if there is one spec I can see and can't fix I will remove the whole thing and use another one), therefore, I meticulously cleaned both screens, which took the majority of the time. The instructions do seem complicated but if you take the time to look at the pictographs you'll be fine.

Basically adhere the protector to the DS, grab the protruding end on the right, slowly pull away towards the right, remove air bubbles with the cheap cardboard "tool" they give you (or a credit card), peel off the secondary layer and remove any excess bubbles.

If you take the time to make sure everything's dust free you won't regret this purchase. And since you only get one shot I wouldn't rush it, not for $9 bucks a pop.
22 comments|53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 21, 2013
I've applied screen protectors at least a dozen times to other electronics I own, including the hori DSi screen protector, and if I've ever messed it up it's been my fault. I felt that this was not the case for this item. The instructions are extremely vague and can easily give you the wrong impression about how the screen protector works.

The cleaning cloth that was included to prepare the screen just wiped fine dust onto the screen, so I had to clean it with my own glasses cloth anyway.

The included piece of cardboard to remove bubbles scratches the screen. In fact, the screen is extremely soft and scratches very easily, not to mention the very strong glare it gives off.

Then there's the price. $9 gets you one protector for each screen. If this product was half the price, I would still not recommend it, but at $9, I feel insulted. Avoid at all costs.
11 comment|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 12, 2012
I bought these Hori screen protectors because they had the best reviews of all the screen protectors currently available for the 3DS XL.

Just like every other screen protector out there for various devices they are a lot more complicated to put on without bubbles forming than they need to be. I eventually got it how I wanted with minimal bubbles ( I currently have 2 bubbles on the touch screen) but it took a lot of effort/patience and about 20-30 minutes.

I am glad I got these protectors because I want to keep my beautiful 3DS XL screen in great condition. I just wish they would have been easier to apply.
on August 23, 2012
i have never come across a hori screen protector i didn't like and this is no exception. i think some of the negative reviews might not have applied the screen protectors properly, so i'll try to explain briefly.

both the top and bottom screen protectors have 3 layers. the middle layer is the protective film and it is pretty thin. you remove the top and bottom layers as you apply it. first, you tentatively affix the screen protectors to the system to align it properly. second, you remove the bottom layer (closest to the screen) pressing/smoothing the top 2 layers down against the screen. there's a good chance your protection will have imperfections; they're most likely formed between the top two layers, not between the protective layer and the screen. third, you remove the top layer, leaving the middle adhesive/protective layer behind. fourth, use the "cardboard edge" to smooth out any air bubbles, which shouldn't be too many. the touchscreen protector appears blue out of the package, but you discard that blue layer while applying them; it's the top layer of touchscreen protector and should not be there at the end. if i were hori, i would also have made the top screen's top layer have a red tint, just so that people would know to remove it.

these screen protectors are just barely smaller than the screen dimensions. but they shouldn't affect your screen visibility or touchscreen usage. now just waiting for some company to release a quality 3ds xl case/shell that you can play-through...
on July 13, 2013
Most of the screen protectors I've used are really annoying to install. These screen protectors are extremely easy to install, are invisible, and don't interfere with the touch screen's operation. Installation on the touch screen is a bit more difficult, but overall it's hard to get bad results if you're patient and careful.

Some suggestions:
- The alignment of the bottom screen protector is very important. It's slightly smaller than the screen, so you will want to not put it too close to the edges. It's a little hard to align because of sticker overlap, but it can be inspected carefully. If it overlaps the edges, then it will create a bubble that can't be removed.
- Install both screen protectors under a bright light. This makes everything easier to see.
- Don't use the included cardboard to remove bubbles! It has very rough edges that can scratch the screen protectors. Instead, use a fingernail over a microfiber cloth.
- The instructions on bubble removal are not very clear. Place your fingernail on the center of the bubble then make a circular motion moving towards its edges. If the bubble does not disappear, then slowly squish it to the edges of the screen protector. When it reduces in size, you can try the circular motion again.
review image
on August 22, 2012
I pre-ordered these before the 3DS XL was released, so I bought it for 9 bucks. Luckily, it arrived on the same day I got my own 3DS XL, so I was able to apply the screens before I even used it. It's really simple to apply, and there were virtually no aur bubbles. It uses the same technique as the other 3DS screen protectors, so if you have trouble, I highly recommend that you check out the video on that product.

Word of advice though, don't use the packaged wiping cloth. It says it gets rid of debris, but it also leaves some little flakes behind.
on December 9, 2012
This was very easy to put on and no air bubbles! Pay attention to the directions, it was a little confusing but after reading it thoroughly and placing it properly Ive had no ibubbles or lifting. In fact, I couldn't tell if it was even there at first.
on April 19, 2013
I've applied screen protectors to many different devices, everything from phones to my 13" Lenovo Yoga. I figured this would be no problem, but I was mistaken.

This was applied to a brand new 3DS XL.

Maybe it's just me, but the instructions for the bottom screen were awful, so awful that I actually ended up putting the protector on the wrong way and practically ruining it. The instructions for the top screen were fine, and it was by far the easiest screen protector I've ever applied. The problem with the top screen protector are these dark bars (looks like the screen is dim) that the protector creates. The bottom protector doesn't seem to have that issue.

If you do buy this product, please pay very close attention to the instructions for the bottom screen.