Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Style Name: 3DS-358U|Change

on March 25, 2015
I am a big fan of Hori products. I have owned, and still own several cases and other products made by them. I always use their screen protectors on my Nintendo handhelds (and the Wii U Gamepad.) At this point, whenever I need an accessory for my gaming consoles, the first thing I do is see what Hori has to offer. I have found all of their products to be high quality. This case is no exception.

A few things about this case pleasantly surprised me. First of all, it is quite a bit slimmer than I expected. The Hori case that I owned for my (old) 3DS XL was significantly thicker. This case provides a great balance of protection and slimness. It is not exactly hard shell, but if you have owned other Hori cases, they have a rigidity to them that provide adequate protection, though it probably would not withstand being stepped on with full weight. Not something I'm about to test.

The other pleasant surprise was something to which I was initially reluctant: the design on the front of the case. It is not apparent from the photo, but the NES controller design actually has a really nice three-dimensional element to it. The buttons are slightly extruded and rounded, as is the D-pad, and the rectangular controller itself; much more detail than I had expected. Nothing sticks out so far to be annoying, just enough to add a noticeable coolness factor. I generally prefer a low-profile, nondescript case that tends to reveal no clue as to what is inside. In this instance I made an exception in order to rock some retro flair, and I'm quite happy I did.

A few other details worth noting: there is a flap inside which will hold six cartridges and a stylus; pretty standard for such cases. There is no mesh netting in the upper lid to hold any other items, which added to the girth of my (old) 3DS XL case. You will not be able to fit your charger into this case. Also, there is an elastic strap in the bottom half which holds the console in place. This is partially necessary due to the fact that the case does not snugly fit the bare New 3DS XL console. Using the elastic strap secures the console nicely within the case. If you forgo the elastic strap, the console will slide around ever so slightly inside the case. I can only presume the extra room is to accommodate Hori's own TPU protective shell which I do not have. If that is something you own, or you plan on putting another kind of protective shell on to your console, this case should be easily accommodate it. With my (old) 3DS XL Hori case, the console practically snapped into place, it was such a snug fit. It might also be worth mentioning that this case should be compatible with the (old) 3DS XL form factor due to the elastic strap.

Everything else is the usual quality I expect from Hori. This is one of several designs they have for what I assume to be otherwise identical cases. Ergo, this review should apply, in theory, to those cases as well. In all, I recommend this case for a slim-profile, semi-rigid case that is good for traveling, or just general protection when the console is not in use. Hori has yet to disappoint me.
review image
on March 23, 2015
Can never go wrong with HORI brand accessories. Love this case.

I'll compare it to the 3DS XL case that I still have & use for my 3DS XL. Purchased this new case for my New 3DS XL.

The differences between the 2 cases:

This case holds 6 games, 1 extra stylus, and 1 system. It has an elastic-like band to hold the system in place. Good for if you forget to zip the case closed and it falls. System won't go anywhere. It also has a partition between the games/stylus being held and the system.

The previous case, for the original 3DS XL, holds only 3 games, 1 extra styus, and 1 system. No elastic-like band to hold the system in place. This case also has a pocket inside, which I use for game notes and the AR cards.

So buying this case you can hold 6 games and the system is more secure. The case is also slightly slimmer than the previous 3DS XL case. It lacks the pocket though.

You can also buy the previous case for the 3DS XL, if you'd prefer a pocket for your AR cards, notes, etc. The pocket can't hold too much though.

This case zippers also are a little longer with "Nintendo 3DS" printed on them. The previous case uses standard zippers, without any writing on them.

Both cases are great. I like that this one is slimmer. Also, both cases can hold either the old 3DS XL or the New 3DS XL (not both at the same time).
on October 13, 2015
It looks so nostalgic and that's why I got this one. Very good case. It can fit my New 3DS XL that's in the clear plastic case and 6 games. Worth the buy. A great travel case or protective case!
review image review image review image
I'm generally really careful with my 3DS XL, and had no plans to buy any kind of case for it...until I saw this one. Come on, who can resist Generation X's gateway icon to the world of video gaming? Well, obviously I couldn't, so now my 3DS XL is resting comfortably in this nifty accessory.

This isn't anything high tech. It's a vinyl/canvas pouch with a section for the system (with a band to hold it in place), and a separate area to hold six games. It's perfect for traveling. And of course it looks great. You can't tell from the picture, but the zipper pulls are actually in the shape of coins.

It's probably not enough protection for younger players, and if my son is any indication they'd barely recognize old school Mario anyway, but this is the perfect case for those of us who haven't quite outgrown Mario's charms.
on June 25, 2015
I recently bought the Mario 3DS XL and needed to find a case. I saw this one first in a store but checked here instead.
I absolutely love it! It's well made. The graphic on the front is perfect for fans of the original Mario games and there's even zipper pulls that look like 8bit coins.
My system fits perfectly inside even with my protective cover on. I have no cons. I am 100% satisfied.
review image review image review image review image
on April 16, 2015
HORI cases for the 3DS / XL and now the New 3DS XL are proven go-to purchases for many owners of these Nintendo portable platforms. These HORI cases are quite similar to the AmazonBasics Carrying Case, however whereas the Amazon case only has inserts for 3 games, the HORI cases have double that, room for 6 games.

My one frustration with these HORI cases (and the Retro versions look so good, they are irresistible) is that I have found on two occasions, these cases off-gas a plastic smell for quite a while. It eventually goes away, but it is quite noticeable. I include this for the consideration of sensitive / chemical sensitive folks out there.
on April 2, 2015
I had purchased a different case for my 3DS XL but it didn't have a place for games to be safely stored, just a netting area. If I have a case on it, then it was way too tight of a fit. When I saw this, which I saw originally on pre order but I wasn't sure if I wanted to wait, I finally decided to buy it since it wasn't on pre order anymore. I wish I would've bought this one in the first place! The "controller" is rubber and raised. There's plenty enough room for a good selection of games (which I only have two games right now, so I don't use most! haha.) I also like the space for the extra stylus because we all know how easily they can get lost or broken. There's plenty of room for my 3DS XL with or without a case on it so that it's easy to remove but doesn't slip around. The protection is good, it goes in my backpack to go to school and has held up against my two year old. Overall great purchase!
review image
on October 31, 2013
I'm a bit of a retro gamer but I love the 3DS XL and all the Nintendo franchises that come out every generation. But the original Mario is still the classic game I always come back to!

As for the case, it works great. It fits my 3DS XL perfectly even with the protective cover on it, and it's held in place by a thick and strong strap. You system is snug and protected. You can also store 6 games in the elastic pockets (plus one in the system for 7 total), which is more than enough for most trips. The coin zippers are cool and the printing looks good. I just throw it in my bag with all kinds of junk and haven't seen any wear or scratches on the case. Great product!
44 comments|16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 7, 2015
i bought this to give my MM N3DS XL a cozy home with a special design that makes the pouch more elegant

the new updated 3DS fits perfectly in this 3DS XL pouch and it has good material feel with 6 slots to put your DS \ 3DS & N3DS cartridges and a styles holder in an organized divider .

and the 8Bit mario design on top makes and old school gamer feel happy

worth the purchase
review image review image review image
on April 8, 2015
Perfect fit for my new Nintendo 3DS XL portable console that I bought as soon as it came out. It was reasonable price and it provides adequate protection for my new 3DS. Recommend to anyone who recently bought the new version of the portable console from Nintendo and are looking for a case that is a perfect fit.