Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Grocery Martha Stewart American Made Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on Tikes

TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 30, 2012
Platform: Xbox 360Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The HORI Xbox 360 Flight Stick EX2 is the real deal. By far the most realistic and responsive flight controller I have had my hands on. Key is the independent joystick and throttle controllers. (HOTAS) Controls are of course user assignable and you can create and save up to 3 custom presets. Your flight simulator experience will be 2nd to none.

I had a friend over who lives for flight simulator and he was blown away. I had to pry the HORI out of his hands or he would have walked out the front door with it.

Beefy and well built! I couldn't believe how heavy and solid this is. Excellent feel and rubberized surfaces allow for effortless sure grip. I have never been in the cockpit of a real jet but I doubt it feels any more real than this stick does. You can set the stick to vibrate if you like and just zone. Birds of Steel and Ace Combat both rock with this thing. There are some decent You Tube videos of this stick being put through it's paces. Check em out to get a good idea of how well this works.

I had been using the Cyborg F.L.Y. 9 but that is going in the closet now. The HORI is much better all around. I have a feeling this HORI EX2 will soon be known as the gold standard of flight controllers if it isn't already. Get you hands on one and find out for yourself. Recommended for great build quality, function and response. PLUS it is just plain FUN!
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 8, 2012
I cannot describe how much fun this device is compared to the Saitek AV-8R, which is what i WAS using for bad @$$ games like HAWX 2, IL-2 Sturmovik, and Wings of Prey.

The HORI EX-2 delivers all the goods: -FROM- "Immersion Technology" like Force Feedback, rumble packs, and added tension during strong wind updrafts, turbulance and damage taken to the aircraft, -TO- adjustable Analog stick deadzones, -TO- 3 different programmable settings for some of the buttons, this peripheral has it all!

I have even gone so far as to spend a week configuring this H.O.T.A.S Flightstick for XPADDER tricked out PC Flightstick use! (i don't even wanna describe how annoying that experience was, especially assigning steady UP/DOWN thrust slider settings, hold/release, and rumble assignments)... But if u have the time, patience, and guidance, this Flightstick can be used for virtually any PC or Xbox. :D

Very well made. Heavy, stout and realistic, it brings Flight Sim games to life! Especially "Birds of Steel" by Gaijin Entertainment (IL2: Sturmovik 2). One can adjust the tension for the throttle as well, and after assigning a bomb or rocket function to the throttle "B" button, and target tracking to the nearby "LB" button, it makes both L and R control devices equally crucial during combat. Hat switch works well and one can pan around, yet without a head tracking IR, the view is a bit dodgy. Anyone know if an IR device can be used with this or the Xbox in general? If so please let me know.

My ONLY quarrel with this magnificent setup is that HORI didn't go the full distance and add a second expansion port for say, flat black high quality RUDDER PEDALS?!!! WHY DIDN'T YOU OFFER THESE MISTER HORI-SAN??? :(
I would've paid an extra $100 in a second for that option!
Well, besides that this HOTAS Flightstick gets a 95 out of 100 in my grade book.

UPDATE: 11/03/2012
I have successfully integrated this flightstick with Windows 7 64, and mated it to Saitek Rudder Pedals (Pro Flight or Combat) for use primarily with the superb UK version of Wings of Prey: Collector's edition. I only need XPADDER to mimic the mouse to look around, so that the view doesn't snap back or dodge all around, and to map the MAP button as toggle, instead of having to hold it down. It took a while, but now i use this Xbox 360 stick primarily with my Acer Predator U222 gaming PC! For anyone out there wondering if this was possible, IT IS! Comment here if any advice or mapping instruction is needed... :D

1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Platform: Xbox 360Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you have an Xbox and you are into flight and flight simulation games, can't get much better than this. The FS-EX2 is designed to connect through the USB port and it's built to work with an Xbox. So far, we've tried it on with the excellent IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey and with Hawx.

I will discuss our experience with the EX2 in the context above.

Not much to complain in this area. the 'instruments' come nicely packed and it was easy to get it out of the box. There isn't much of a physical setup beyond attaching the suction cups to the 2 modules - easy.

There are 2 modules: the joystick/rudder and the throttle - and they are HUGE - and it's possible to use the joystick only. It took us a couple of minutes to get everything connected - the throttle plugs into the stick which plugs into the Xbox but in the end, it was no big deal. On the two games that I mentioned we got decent controls with no further fine-tuning.

Using the stick is as simple as plugging the USB connector into one of Xbox's ports, then starting the game.

I am not going to inventory all the buttons but, believe me, there's lots of them. The vibration function makes all the difference when it comes to realism.

Believe it or not, as complex as the 2 modules may appear, there isn't much of a manual because one is not needed. The manual states that, once you begin using it within a game, the stick will calibrate itself after you make a few moves. We haven't experienced calibration issues so it must be true.

The 8 ft. USB chord may be sufficient for most but it wasn't for us. We have a rather large screen and we play from 8-9 ft. away. The AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A-Male to A-Female Extension Cable (9.8 Feet / 3.0 Meters) took care of that problem.

My 14 yr. old kid feels that the games are more responsive when using the Xbox's own controller. This is probably the case but what this device provides is some level of realism. It's more realistic to pilot a plane with a stick and a throttle than by tilting and shaking a controller. After a little practice, he now prefers the Stick to the controller.

I found the FS-EX2 to be a great way to play flight simulation games. I am happy with the EX2 and so are my kids. It's 5 stars which, in Amazon translation means "we love it".

We tried it, just for fun and it turns out to be quite easy even though not exactly needed for the games we are currently playing. It's basically a 4-step process that would allow you to:

- switch buttons
- switch axes between themselves
- switch the directions of the same axis

It's done by enabling the 'manual' mode by pressing a button, press and release the mapping button, press the button or direction you want to program, press and release the button or direction you are placing the function. For all of the above there is visual feedback of LEDs flashing.

Like I said, it can be done but it can get complicated quickly. Thankfully, it's easy to erase your manual preset and to return to the factory defaults.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 28, 2013
Please heed this advice and stay away from this stick if you are looking for a stick that will last. I know it looks good and it will be a fun accessory for a couple of months, but I have had two of these so far and both lasted less than a year while only being used lightly a couple of times a week. HORI support will not even talk to you if the stick is outside of the 90 day window. I have asked for only part information to order a potentiometer and cannot even get that from them. The company is not interested in keeping customers or their loyalty, they only want your money and they pray the stick lasts 90 days. It feels very heavy and sturdy but if you open it up you will see that is not because they add weights to the base to fool you into mistaking weight with quality materials and superior workmanship. I hate to write this review because I had such high hopes and thought maybe the first stick that died was a fluke. I tried to give HORI the benifit of the doubt, but that only wasted another $150. There are other options out there - stay away from HORI if you value your hard-earned dollars...
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 21, 2013
Excellent product from a construction point of view. however, it is not plug and play. With birds of steel game on xbox it requires adjustments to configuration which are not easily figured out, because there is no native configuration on xbox for this device.
Platform: Xbox 360Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've used the Mad Catz Cyborg F.L.Y. 9 Wireless Flight Stick, and I can say unequivocally that this flight stick by HORI puts Mad Catz to shame. While the price is $45 more than the Mad Catz flight stick, the benefits more than make up for the difference in the price. First and foremost, this item feels like it came straight off the assembly line from Microsoft. Super high quality with soft grips and great traction. Additionally, the buttons all work well and are extremely easy to use. I used this flight stick to play HAWKX2 and I must say, the look and feel of this flight stick made the experience as realistic as any gaming device I've ever used. This is a must have for any flight simulator fan looking to get as close to the real thing as possible.
on May 6, 2012
If you love flight games such as TC's H.A.W.X 1, 2 or Ace combat series and other. This is the right flightstick for you! This was best flight sim experience i have felt ever on Xbox 360!
on January 9, 2014
Worked with some games not with others. Deadzone problem with all XBOX flight sticks apparent here too. After a couple of months of not very much use left roll stopped working. HORI said sorry but discontinued so don't call us again. Opened it up and all wires connected properly. Tried again on several games and still had problem. It sat for a few months and decided on more try. Now left and right roll both not working. Opened again and checked the pots, they seem to be reading correct so something on the board fried. Tossed out with the trash. Would I buy another one use if one popped up on Ebay, No, not a the prices I see. Flight sticks and XBOX just don't work due to the huge deadzones inherent in the XBOX.
on October 2, 2013
I actually would have given it a 3.5 but it was not available. It looks great, feels great, but it is way too complicated. There are so many buttons on them, some of which are dummy switches which is aggravating, that it is impossible to remember which function is assigned to which of the bajillion knobs and switches you have, and as a result, you get your butt knocked out of the sky. I am not a hard core gamer, and I probably should have gotten a stick with a lot less functionality. The suction cups provided really hold the stick and throttle securely,and that was nice. It came nicely packaged. Someone that games a lot would love this set up, it's just too much for my every now and then gaming type of player.
on July 27, 2013
I read the reviews before purchasing and concur with one of the reviewers: the throttle does activate the machine guns on Blazing Angels. To accelerate you have to use the toggle at the top of the joystick for this game. While there are controls that you can reassign, the throttle is not one of them. What I would have liked to see is more customization for controls such as the throttle so I could enjoy it with Blazing Angels. Will have to resort to the classic controller for this game. I tried it with Hawx and it delivers a very nice simulation of cockpit action. Am awaiting Ace Combat. Meets expectations. Nicely built.