Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on November 18, 2012
Another fabulous story featuring mystery, romance and horses (all the best things) from Bev Pettersen. Private Investigator Scott Taylor is recovering from a head wound when he arrives at his friend's riding school to help out and teach a course on addiction. He falls for Megan, one of the students who is hiding the real reason she's at the school. Don't want to give away any of the plot twists but the author takes you on a thrill ride right until the explosive ending. The setting is so vivid I can smell the grass and the barn and see the horses racing around the track. Horses and Heroin is another stand-out from this author.
0Comment57 of 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 2012
I just downloaded this book last night as I have been waiting for her 5th book to come out. Like her other books, this was a tough one to put down! This one is definitely a keeper!!

Life at jockey school (who knew there was such a thing!) with its calorie counting cafeteria nd risk-taking students provided an exhilarating backdrop to a wonderful romance. Megan and Scott had to overcome a dangerous drug operation and an untrustworthy friend before their romance could bloom..

If you haven't read any of Pettersen's books yet, you're missing out! Thanks Ms. Pettersen, for another dandy!
0Comment51 of 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 18, 2012
I have read all of Bev Pettersen's books and was so happy when her next book was released. I love the romance and mystery! I was so lost in this novel that I could not put it down. Exciting, thrilling and sensual.
0Comment33 of 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2013
Loved,loved this book!Was the first one I have read by this author and, once started,I could not put it down.Well written with an obvious knowledge of the horse racing world but did not over burden the book with unnecessary detail.This book had it all,romance,mystery and great charactors.
I plan now to buy ALL Bev Pettersen's books [ with an eye out for any new titles] and look forward to many great hours of reading.
on March 4, 2013
I am glad I borrowed this rather than paying for it. The dialogue was juvenile. The heroine was supposed to be 10 years older than the students but spoke like a 17 year old herself. She was supposedly "investigating" the disappearance of her brother but acted like a teenager. The villain was also totally predictable.
on May 3, 2013
This book started out kind of slow, but eventually started to build. It has a plot that is easy to follow, although I'm not really into horses and racing, per say, but still an okay book.
on December 19, 2012
I am a born and bred, die hard horse person. I am always looking for good horse reads and Bev Pettersen writes some good ones. I really liked this series. I hate to read a horse book written by someone who knows little to nothing about horses. Actually it drives me nutts. These are pretty darn acurate! Love em!
on May 13, 2013
I like a good story. I like a good plot....but, I don't need to know every detail of what goes on behind closed doors. I also love stories about strong, independent women who fall in love with men who act like men. This could have been one of those stories except for the sad fact that a horrendous betrayal was so easily swept under the rug. Don't any characters have a backbone any more or the courage of their convictions? Too bad...I could have loved this book.
11 comment12 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 25, 2013
What a fantastic book Horses & Heroin is! I absolutely adored Megan & Scott and thought that their love story played in perfectly with the mystery and intrigue in this book. It was refreshing to see Megan, who has zero investigative skills, put her life on hold and join a jockey school to try and find out what happened to her missing brother Joey. I wish she would have put more trust in Scott throughout the story since you can tell how much he adored her & wanted their relationship to develop. Speaking of Scott, I loved him & could definitely picture this guy in my mind while reading this story. HOWEVER, it seems to me that with all of his investigative accolades and experience, he really sucked at investigating Joey's disappearance. How many times could he be wary of Megan's words or actions yet not try & figure out who she is? Had Scott been a bit less dense, this story would've rated a 5 on my scale.

Even with that complaint, I really did think this was a very well written and well developed book with excellent character development, steamy sex and a cool, unique setting that captured my attention right away. I'll definitely pick up some of the other books in this series!
on October 26, 2013
I got this because it was free, was classified as a mystery and had a horse on the cover. I continued reading it because I was compelled by her writing style and I really wanted to be told I was correct in my guess as to "who dun it".

The mystery:
Why would her brother go to Mexico? He had just turned his life around after getting involved with drugs. He was finally doing what he loved to do. She doesn't believe what the police say. She knows her brother and knows he wouldn't just give up on his dream for more heroin. She goes in undercover on her own to find out the truth.

The some-what accidental romance:
He's a private investigator on vacation after taking a bullet. Well, his vacation is just a favor to teach at the riding school for an old buddy. She helps him out when he gets driven off the road, he ends up her teacher, a romance blossoms that she's not really interested in. She's there all for her brother.

It was a good read. And I was happy that I had guessed right. The ending could have been a little bit better though. It seemed more like she just wanted the book to end in the last 30 pages or so.