5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for board game lovers
Published on January 10, 2010 by D. Cameron

1.0 out of 5 stars Milking the Hoyle name for all it's worth.
Why Encore feels the need to release yearly versions of the Hoyle series is totally beyond me. I think they spend most of their time designing a cool-looking box for the disk instead of improving the games themselves. I also feel that they are just assuming that by placing the "Hoyle" name on the box means that people will automatically buy their product.

The...
Published on September 18, 2009 by D. Herdegen

1.0 out of 5 stars Milking the Hoyle name for all it's worth., September 18, 2009
D. Herdegen (Loveland, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HOYLE Puzzle & Board Games (2010) [Old Version] (DVD-ROM)

The 2010 is basically identical to the 2009 version. The games don't appear to have been changed at all. In fact, all of the Hoyle games, (Card, Puzzle & Board), seem remarkably similar in gameplay as Hoyle versions of the last several years.

I also use Hoyle Table Games and Board Games from 2004. This is when they were made by Sierra. These titles work fine under Windows 7 and interestingly, they are just more fun. Newer doesn't always mean better in terms of software.

If you have any Hoyle Puzzle/Board/Table games from the past, you may as well skip the 2010 edition. You're just throwing good money away. Otherwise, find an older edition on eBay.

I'm fed up with Encore and these yearly titles that offer little in the way of new games or improvements to the games already included. Please do not fall for this sham like I did and save your $20.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for board game lovers, January 10, 2010
This review is from: HOYLE Puzzle & Board Games (2010) [Old Version] (DVD-ROM)
I played this on OS 9, and am delighted these games are now available in a format that will play on OS X Intel. I hope that when the next big change in operating systems comes along, the company will make these favorites playable on that system also. There is good reason some of these games have been popular so long. Backgammon, for example, has existed about 5,000 years! Games such as Backgammon, Chinese Checkers, Chess, and Dominoes have stood the test of time because they are good challenging games requiring the ideal combination of skill, strategy, and a bit of luck.

The following games are included. I haven't played all of them, but the half dozen or so I have, I like.

* Backgammon
* Yacht
* Zilch

2.0 out of 5 stars poor, September 26, 2009
This review is from: HOYLE Puzzle & Board Games (2010) [Old Version] (DVD-ROM)
poor instructions, children unable to follow, no help in manual for use of keyboard keys or mouse.
adults do not fair any better. would not reccommend. old version much, much better!

1.0 out of 5 stars Hoyle Puzzle and board games, February 14, 2010
Sheila D. Galindo (San Juan Bautista, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HOYLE Puzzle & Board Games (2010) [Old Version] (DVD-ROM)
This game is no different from the 2007 one I already have. I ended up returning it because there is no difference between it and the older game. Oh yes, there is a difference: you can't go back and check your scores against the game like you could on the older one. I"m going back to that one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor customer service, October 5, 2009
This review is from: HOYLE Puzzle & Board Games (2010) [Old Version] (DVD-ROM)
I purchased the previous version of this software for one computer. I later replaced that computer. When I went to install this game for my kids, I no longer had the serial code that had apparently been written on the original packaging. I contacted the company and they will not give me a new code without paying them $10. The game is not even worth that.

1.0 out of 5 stars New and improved it isn't, September 25, 2009
Jane P. (Washington State) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HOYLE Puzzle & Board Games (2010) [Old Version] (DVD-ROM)
I was really looking forward to this version coming out, but I immediately found that it wasn't near as good as the previous version. This is the last "upgrade" I plan to buy of any Hoyle product. I'm back to playing what I already had. Very disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with OS X Lion!, August 17, 2011
This review is from: HOYLE Puzzle & Board Games (2010) [Old Version] (DVD-ROM)
I am very pleased to say that "Puzzle & Board Games (2010)" works with Mac OS X Lion. This was one of my concerns before upgrading to Lion. This product is a great upgrade from my older software from when I had a Windows computer. That version was very out-dated (I had about when Windows 98 came out). The only thing that I miss is the background setting when selecting a game. In my older version I could switch to a log cabin and the scenery could be changed. Other then that, this was an awesome upgrade.

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging variety of games - graphics issues, March 18, 2010
This review is from: HOYLE Puzzle & Board Games (2010) [Old Version] (DVD-ROM)
I own a prior version of this program but bought this updated game because it has Sudoku. While the basic Hoyle games work just fine with my dual monitor set up the Sudoku does not work well in windowed mode. This is probably because I am running a dual monitor system (my husband who also has dual monitors has the same problem).

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't Bother, March 7, 2010
This review is from: HOYLE Puzzle & Board Games (2010) [Old Version] (DVD-ROM)
This has to be one of the most irritating games I've ever played. The six B.B. games don't work, I have to turn off the sound to play their version of Yahtzee because the sound effects are incredibly annoying, if you try and move a piece in their version of Parcheesi you'll end up attempting it 4-5 times every single move because the game doesn't recognize a move unless the piece is placed in the exact center of the space, and most of the other games have similar flaws that are irritating for no apparent reason. Save your money.

4.0 out of 5 stars loads of fun......, April 20, 2012
This review is from: HOYLE Puzzle & Board Games (2010) [Old Version] (DVD-ROM)
I had purchased an earlier game and was well satisfied.....purchased this one to share with my grandchildren.....all of us have great fun trying to win the games.....keeps us on our toes....I find that I always get quality items from this gamemaker and the amazon site......thank you.......

HOYLE Puzzle & Board Games (2010) [Old Version]
HOYLE Puzzle & Board Games (2010) [Old Version] by Encore (Mac OS X, Mac OS X Intel, Windows Vista / XP)
$19.99 $8.56