4.0 out of 5 stars Great little device with Windows 8
Published 15 months ago by K. Young

1.0 out of 5 stars Several major flaws forced me to return it
I was so excited to get this convertible laptop/netbook. If the device didn't have the following issues, I would be very happy with it. However, after 1 week I decided to return it. Here are the issues:

Published 13 months ago by P. Carlson

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little device with Windows 8, January 4, 2013
This review is from: HP Envy 11-g010nr 11.6-Inch Detachable 2 in 1 Touchscreen Laptop (Personal Computers)
The Envy X2 is a sleek hybrid laptop\Tablet that runs Windows 8. This isn't a Windows RT device like the Surface, the Envy will run all your Windows desktop applications. This tablet has a dual core Atom processor which is not the speediest processor in the world but the trade off is fantastic battery life. The Envy has a battery in the tablet portion and a second battery in the keyboard base giving you around 12 hours of total run time.

The build quality of the Envy X2 is excellent and the IPS display is a pleasure to use. The tablet portion clicks solidly in to the keyboard base. I've read reviews elsewhere that had concerns with the keyboard but I have found the keyboard to work fine.

The Envy comes with 64 GB of storage but about 10 GB are devoted to a restore partition. There is a MicroSD slot on the tablet and a full SD slot in the keyboard base allowing for expansion. The Envy has 2GB of RAM with no option to increase it.

I was not expecting the Envy X2 to be a powerhouse due to it's limited specs but it runs Windows 8 and Office with no problem. Boot time and shutdown are quick. Overall for my needs the trade off for better battery life over the core i5 tablets is worthwhile. I should note that this is a secondary system that I bought to travel with and I have a Laptop with a core i7 for the heavier processing.

In terms of a tablet I still prefer my iPad 3 to this device. That isn't so much because of the hardware but rather iOS seems better suited to touch than Windows 8. If you are after a tablet that will run your Windows desktop software, though the HP Envy X2 is a great little device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed hardware review, April 15, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'd like to preface by saying my review is of the hardware, not the software. Suffice to say the Envy x2 comes with a 32-bit edition of Windows 8 pre-installed. I will not be reviewing the pros and cons of the OS, just the hardware.

INTRODUCTION:
HP's new Envy x2 hybrid is a tablet masquerading as a laptop, not the other way around. It has a tablet specs (processor, ram, storage) so don't go thinking this is a high powered laptop that will run your latest online multiplayer game. It won't. That's not to say the Envy has no entertainment value because it runs videos and casual games quite competently. I personally think the tradeoff is worthwhile because it makes the Envy light weight, highly portable, and above all, it has a long long battery life.

For the purposes of my review, I will be referring to the Envy's two distinct parts: the tablet side, and the keyboard side.

PROCESSOR, RAM, GRAPHICS:
The Envy x2 has an Intel Atom Z2760 CPU clocked at 1.80GHz and 2GB of 533MHz LPDDR2 SDRAM (not upgradable). It has Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (integrated). I find my programs and apps run really well. I'm running MS Office 2003 without a hitch (my primary use for a laptop) plus a number of casual games and apps purchased from Amazon and the Windows Store. Everything runs great.

TOUCH SCREEN:
I find it sensitive and responsive; very nice, no complaints. There is a NFC area in the upper center of the screen. I don't have any NFC devices so I can't test this. This beautiful widescreen LED backlit display runs in a native resolution 1366x 768 @60p Hz.

CONNECTIVITY:
The Envy x2 has a Broadcom 802.11a/b/g/n wireless SDIO adapter for WiFi. I have a dual-band wireless-N router, and the Envy x2 is capable of connecting to either the 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz band. I use the 5Ghz band and I haven't had a problem connecting or staying connected. It is also Bluetooth compatible and (as mentioned) has a NFC area in the top center of the screen.

KEYBOARD & TOUCHPAD:
The Envy features a full size keyboard with chiclet style flat keys. They have a nice tactile feel and sound when typing. I did initially have a bit of an issue with the keyboard which has been fixed with a BIOS update from HP. I recommend this update if you have the extra space/repeated last letter keyboard issue.

The docking mechanism works really well. The tablet/screen is magnetically guided into place and so there's no fiddling around trying to find the correct position. It's super easy to pop off and re-dock.

Since my main use is writing, I also found it convenient to turn off the Synaptic touchpad by double tapping the square in the top left corner (toggle) to avoid accidentally moving my cursor when my thumbs grazed the surface. I just plug in a wireless mouse and use that instead.

STORAGE & DRIVES:
The 64GB solid state drive makes the Envy zippy. While 64GB doesn't sound like much storage, there are two additional SD slots for expansion--a micro SD slot in the tablet side, and a standard SD slot in the keyboard side. I purchased a SanDisk Ultra 64 GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card with Adapter (SDSDQU-064G-AFFP-A) (so it's usable in either slot) which I installed in the tablet side so I can undock without losing any storage. I'll purchase another for the keyboard side if and when I need it.

Roughly 10GB of the 64GB SSD is set aside as a recovery drive. You can reclaim this space once you make a recovery flash drive. HP includes the app needed to make a recovery drive; all I needed to do was supply the 16GB USB flash drive. At the end of the process, I was given a choice to reclaim the recovery partition as useable space. I recommend making the recovery drive even if you don't reclaim the partition, so that you have an independent backup of the factory default OS should you ever need it. Of course, there's an option to purchase this directly from HP, but expect to pay $$$ plus tax and shipping. Making your own, while your recovery partition is in good nick, is a much cheaper option.

There is no optical drive in the Envy, but if you have, or purchase, a USB DVD drive like the AmazonBasics USB 2.0 8x DVD Writer External Optical Drive (Black) then you can load your older software and compatible games.

FEATURES & SLOTS:
Tablet:
1 x MicroSDXC expansion storage slot
1 x headphone/microphone (single 3mm jack)
2 x cameras (front facing and back facing) with integrated mic, 8MP, 1080p video capable
Power on/off button
Volume control button
Stereo speakers featuring BEATS audio

Keyboard:
1 x standard SDXC expansion storage slot
2 x USB 2.0 slots
1 x HDMI output
1 x headphone/microphone (single 3mm jack)
Synaptic multi-touch gesture touchpad
Power charger slot

The Envy has two batteries, which makes for an incredibly long battery life. It is also designed to drain from the keyboard side first, so if (after using it all day) you decide to undock and take the tablet, you (hopefully) don't have to recharge first. Neat idea! I find I only have to recharge every 2nd day, and that's after a full day of using Word.

OTHER:
The Envy has a really nice brushed aluminum shell, which gives it a really classy look and feel. It's also a very thin computer for in a backpack or book bag, and ultra lightweight while still maintaining a huge 11.6" screen. As mentioned, the Envy comes with a full version of Windows 8 pre-installed, meaning most of my older software will run. This is a big plus for me.

The power brick is tiny, measuring only 3.25" x 1.5" x 1" approx. This is a nice for when you need to take it with you.

IN CONCLUSION:
If you're after a laptop for high powered apps and games, then the Envy x2 probably won't fit your needs. However, if you're after something that has the convenience and portability of a tablet but the functionality of a laptop, then the Envy x2 might just fit the bill. Yes, you might get more bang for your buck by lugging around a traditional heavy i3 or i5 laptop, but for me, the lighter weight, 12+ hours of battery life, in an easily transported compact shell makes the HP Envy x2 my ideal choice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Combining A Laptop With A Tablet: A Windows 8 Device That Exhibits Surprising Versatility, January 18, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First things first, the HP Envy x2 11-g010nr 11.6-Inch Convertible Laptop isn't necessarily designed to replace your more sophisticated laptop or desktop computer. If you have heavy processing needs or more challenging applications, you're going to want to continue to utilize your other devices. But, that said, this portable unit does show great flexibility in its ability to adapt to the more routine tasks that you may need to perform on-the-go. As with any convertible laptop, this comes in two distinct parts. The screen contains most of the "brains" necessary to fuel regular tablet functions, so you can just unclip it and take it on the road. However if you need standard keyboard or mouse functionality, just connect it back up and you're ready for computer operations.

Windows 8: One of the successes of the HP Envy x2 11-g010nr 11.6-Inch Convertible Laptop is in its usage of Windows 8. If you are a die-hard Windows user, you know that the programs can be somewhat problematic on touch screen devices. There is, oftentimes, too much going on to be wholly effective. Most, therefore, use the less impressive Windows RT technology. So the ability to run any Windows software (unlike the pale shades of RT) is an attractive selling point.

Graphics/Display: The graphics and clarity are perfectly serviceable, if not somewhat better than expected with a HD, Anti-glare, LED-backlit IPS display is powered by Intel Graphics Media Accelerator technology. Once again, this is not meant to stand up to intensive gaming but is suitable for common usage including casual games and HD video.

Compatibility/Additions: The unit has two USB 2.0 ports, a built-in card reader, and a HDMI port. With these, you can customize your experience with external storage or connect to larger monitors depending on your needs. It is Bluetooth compatible and has Wireless network access. And there are headphone/microphone jacks. The unit comes with a front facing camera good for chat (HP TrueVision 1080p HD webcam) and a rear facing camera for specialized tasks (8.0MP). The audio speakers are surprisingly solid Beats.

Design: The HP Envy x2 11-g010nr 11.6-Inch Convertible Laptop comes in a lightweight Brushed Aluminum case. All together, it's about 3 pounds.

Processing Power/Storage: The device is powered by an Intel Atom Z2760 processor which is a 1.8 GHz, dual core unit. This is fairly comparable to what you'd find in other tablets. There are 2GB on on-board RAM and 64GB SSD. While this is probably more than enough for most users, there is no way to upgrade or customize the 2GB RAM with additions.

Battery: The tablet has a battery which boasts about 7 hours of usage. The base, however, also has a battery. When attached, the usage extends to about 12 hours. The double battery really makes a nice difference.

As a Windows user, I really do like the HP Envy x2 11-g010nr 11.6-Inch Convertible Laptop. If that Windows functionality is NOT of major import to you, you might find less expensive alternatives that better serve your wants and needs. But overall, I think this is an incredibly successful marriage of laptop and tablet. When I'm on the road working for any length of time, I still take my more powerful laptop as it is my LIFE. But for convenience and daily activities, I've found myself relying more on this lightweight and handy unit. KGHarris, 1/13.

1.0 out of 5 stars Several major flaws forced me to return it, March 9, 2013

1) Light Bleed Around Screen: The screen had significant 'light bleed' around the edges of the screen. I was sitting in a dark room the first time I turned it on and wow, the light bleed around the edge of the screen was very annoying, especially when watching a movie. Out of curiosity I decided to compare the light bleed to that of an iPad. The iPad had NO noticeable light bleed whatsoever. The screen on this device certainly needs to be manufactured better to avoid the light bleed issue that many complain about.

2) WiFi: Unfortunately the WiFi reception is very poor. This is ultimately the reason I returned the device. I used it with various WiFi routers and could never get it to connect faster than about 30 Mbps. Most of the time it would connect around 5 Mbps. Additionally the signal reception was very poor. Even when sitting within 10 ft of the router, it would only get two bars of reception. I think HP has an antennae design flaw. My other laptops and Windows Phones get great WiFi reception in my home and office.

3) Speakers: I was hoping I could put movies on this for the kids to watch while we are in the car. However, the speakers don't put out nearly enough volume. Without supplemental speakers, it would be way too quiet for use in a car or a room with moderate background noise.

Unfortunately after doing quite a few web searches, I determined that many people have noticed the same issues with this device. Therefore these items must be a result of poor design/fabrication. Therefore, I chose to return it. Hopefully HP fixes these items in next iteration of this device. If they do, I'll be sure to buy it. Windows 8 on a touch device of this form factor would be awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow-this thing plain rocks, May 11, 2013
I bought mine from Microsoft Store, but i researched using Amazon so I thought I would review here. I spent roughly the last three months researching for a win 8 tablet with good battery life, light weight, can run full win 8 to handle work applications and could go in tablet mode when I want to just surf or watch a movie--and not cost $1000 or more. I bought other competitors from Acer, Samsung, and Microsoft and they all had something glaringly wrong with them that would drive me crazy (weight, price, hardware issues, weird docking solutions). This tablet has so far met all my expectations. I don't expect it to run call of duty or Photoshop. I expect it to run office programs, adobe acrobat pro, my online work programs, email, surf the internet. I have not experienced any of the issues some other reviewers have--my experience has been nothing but positive. I am a long, long user of Microsoft products (try loading windows using 11 floppy discs!!) and win 8 is definitely the direction for computing. If the surface had been cheaper with a better keyboard and a little lighter I would have kept it.

The hp hardware is superb. Everything works as advertised. The atom processor is not a dog--it runs everything I need smoothly. And there is almost zero heat on this thing--like an iPad with windows 8 on it. Hinge works fine-solid as a rock. Attach and detach easily. No issues with space--I am already pushed out to the cloud. SD cards work perfectly (one on tablet and one on keyboard). Battery life stupidly long.

Win 8 is not as difficult as people make it seem. Once you spend a few hours swiping and figuring out the flow of the OS you will not be able to go back to nothing but a mouse and keys. I have a laptop without a touch screen and I feel crippled not being able to swipe on it. In a couple of years every laptop made will have a touch screen. And everyone complaining about lack of apps--are you kidding me? This is a full blown OS that runs everything that makes your life easier--do what I did and give your iPad to your kid so he can play on it while you can actually work on your tablet and relax during your off time. My two cents.

Products I have in my family in case you think I am biased: iPad 1,2, iPhone 3gs, 4s, htc one x, Lenovo laptop, eee pad transformer, self built desktop, Xbox 360, Asus laptop, gateway laptop.

100% recommend this awesome product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very capable touchscreen PC with the ability to become a tablet; not just a tablet with a keyboard., January 23, 2013
Length:: 4:55 Mins

One has to imagine this sort of device is exactly what Microsoft had in mind when Win8 was in development. An interesting marriage of laptop and tablet, offering all the touch screen benefits of the latter with the power and access to mainstream software of the former, all in the body of what used to be called a netbook. Netbooks, of course, died out as a species with the popularization of tablets, the iPad and various Android offerings all but pushing those small, inexpensive, bare-boned PC offerings right out of relevant space. The HP Envy x2 isn't a rebirth of the netbook, it's really a new species entirely, and despite being a relatively early entry into a new arena, it's polished and sophisticated.

As a disclaimer, I own and love Apple products without crossing whatever line is necessary to get into unabashed fandom. I have and use an iPhone, I have and use regularly an iPad mini which replaced an old and tired (but loved) first generation iPad. You could easily replace Apple/iOS with comparable Android devices here, because my point is that I really enjoy these devices, and all the portability and ease of accessibility that they bring BUT there are areas of use that they just can't and don't address. Then there's my main laptop, 18" of desktop replacement that is technically portable, but I'd feel sorry for anyone who actually wanted to lug it around, and popping in on your lap to work away from a desk or table would be akin to having a German Shepherd as a lap dog; hot, blows a lot of air, heavy, not particularly comfortable.

As my short and silent video demonstrates, you're out of the box and running here in less than 10 minutes. The brushed aluminum body of the device is pleasing and manages to avoid major fingerprint issues. In laptop form, it weighs in at 3lb 1.4oz/1400g, when detached the tablet/screen is approximately 1lb 8.5oz/698g -- compare to a 1st gen iPad which is about 862g with a stock soft cover, and what you have is more power and flexibility in a lighter device (again, compared to a 1st generation iPad).

The solid state hard drive makes for lightning quick boot ups. Those of you out there still using systems with traditional drives will marvel at power on to desktop waiting times that can be measured in the teens (seconds) or even less. My fastest of a few different tries (demonstrated on the video) was 10 seconds, that's cold to Windows ready to go, which is remarkable.

There are sacrifices, of course. Processing power is not going to be up to speed with current desktops or higher end/larger bodied laptops (though it will be superior to every tablet I'm presently aware of). Battery life isn't going to be as substantial as larger laptops with one or more substantial battery packs. Graphical power is going to be what one would expect with integrated Intel graphics, this is not a high end gaming rig - but that's not what it's trying to be. But it's capable on each of these fronts, and it exceeded my expectations which, going in, were more in line with "this is going to be a tablet with a keyboard" rather than "this is going to be a capable PC with the ability to split off and be a tablet".

My iPad mini is still going to be my go to browsing and email device; but I can't work on that because of the PC-specific requirements my job requires, so the HP Envy x2 *will* be getting heavy use (assuming I can get it away from my wife who has decided it's just what she needs too) when I need to have a capable java-enabled browser and the ability to have multiple open windows. What that means is I'm untethering myself from my big laptop, and that's a great thing. Even in the comfort of home, portability and agility is king. I find the touch quick and responsive when the screen is docked to the base and when it's not. I find Win8 right at home on the device, quick to load and responsive either in the new Start menu or in the old. Office loads right up, and the machine handles a reasonably heavy `work-style' processing load efficiently. The specs are all listed in the product description and other reviews have rehashed them smartly, so what's left for me to say is that the Envy x2 exceeded (and continues to exceed) my expectations. This is a PC, not a watered down PC the way netbooks were, but a capable box that also offers touchscreen in the way Win8 was truly intended, *and* is capable of splitting off and being a powerful tablet as well. Throw in Beats sound and an HD camera, and this will be a dream machine for those who want the best of both worlds. Note that the ports (with the exception of the SD slot *and* a secondary headphone jack) are on the base of the unit and not the tablet/screen portion). But connecting them on the fly without closing or changing applications is quick and easy, as demonstrated in the video. Outstanding job, HP.

tl;dr -- Outstanding `tweener' device, highly capable both as a PC and as a Windows-based tablet. Highly recommended for those who need the functionality of the former and value the portability option of the latter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great device, but having some issues, February 7, 2013
Update 3/21/2013:

HP has come out with a BIOS fix for the keyboard issue, so I purchased another Envy x2. Before I applied the BIOS patch, the new x2 had the keyboard issue. After I applied it - the issue went away! The stars of the review have been increased from 2 to 4. I had about a full month to consider the other convertibles out there; and just wasn't happy with the other choices. I highly recommend the envy x2 now. It's amazing.

A quick summary of the device: atom is better than previous atom versions, the device is beautiful, does not get hot, has tons of battery life, and now types very well. :)

Update 3/1/2013:

After I sent my replacement back to HP, I followed up with a question once they received it:
I hope you are doing well! I'm sure you are busy, but I still wanted to ask if the Envy I sent back has been of any help for you and your team? If you need any additional input from me, just let me know

A response from HP:
Thank you again for your help. I've been able to reproduce the issue so now hopefully we can get to a solution quickly.

Update 2/13/2013:

My repair was changed to a replacement, and I received the replacement unit earlier today. The replacement was a different model, 11-g0004xx. Unfortunately, the replacement had the same exact keyboard issue, and I decided to return the original to Amazon, and shipped the replacement straight back to HP, with detailed instructions on what's happening, how to replicate it, and examples. Their tech lab should receive the replacement unit tomorrow, so hopefully this issue gets properly identified and fixed before too long :)

This changed my review to 2 stars, as I now have no new laptop. The good points of the device in my original review still stand. If someone were a hunt and peck typist, I suspect they would never notice any issues with the keyboard, and the device really is super cool. I almost considered just dealing with the keyboard and hoping/waiting for a fix because the Envy X2 really is exactly what I want in terms of battery and form factor, but I honestly just can't work on the device (programmer - typing).

Original:

I've purchased the Envy x2 as a upgrade from a very old HP Mini. I know what to expect from Atom processors. I've been very impressed by the speed of this Atom compared to what Atoms were a few years ago. The processor line has come a long way, and I personally love having more battery life over more performance. I made the same performance/battery decision a few years ago with my old mini, and you're not compromising performance nearly as much as you used to.

That being said, this laptop isn't for gaming :) Some of the more graphically intensive games in the Windows 8 app store are unplayable. I find touch scrolling on websites to be a little laggy until the website has fully loaded. This is more of an issue with very graphical/ad heavy sites. Still, it's way better than Atoms used to be.

The device is silent. I'm used to a little more audible/visual feedback when a computer is working on a task, and so it has taken a small amount of getting used to.

The Envy doesn't really get hot. I had read that it was passively cooled, but wasn't exactly sure how hot it would get. It runs much cooler than I would have expected.

The look of the device is great. It looks more expensive than it is, it's sleek, and definitely seems sturdy. The brushed aluminum is great.

It is a little top heavy. If you have it on your lap, you can't press near the top of the touchscreen overly hard. I've been careful about how I lay it down, partly because it's new, and partly because if I was a bit too hasty I think it could tip over in the process. Also, the way the Envy hinge is designed makes it a little uncomfortable when the hinge is resting on your legs. Since it's not the full width of the laptop, the edges get a ya a little :p

The battery life is awesome. It really is. The way the batteries charge is very cool and intuitive. If the tablet section is running low, connecting it to the keyboard (without the ac adapter plugged in) will start charging the tablet battery. I had used the tablet portion down to 68%, connected to the keyboard to do some typing tasks, and when I disconnected it again the tablet battery was 100%. Epic!

Now for my biggest issue - the keyboard. I'm actually sending my Envy back to HP to have them fix the keyboard. The right click on the trackpad is shaky at best. If you click on the very bottom right you won't get any response. Granted, if you move over a little bit, you'll get your right click, but not near the edge. The trackpad will make an audible 'click' noise, but nothing. This is minor compared to the other issue; My space bar will randomly insert an extra space, or even a letter and a space. I'm not writing this review on the Envy because it would be too frustrating. I'm a computer programmer, so I type a TON. As I've mentioned before, I have other HP products. I've never had issues with them.

If the above is a little unclear, here's an example:
Normal: 'My keyboard is working well!'
Envy : 'My keyboard is working g well!' (space, the last letter of the previous word, space)
Envy : 'my keyboard is working well!' (unintentional double space)

Super frustrating. It happens about 5% of the time, and only when the space bar is involved. I've seen another review on here mentioning keyboard issues, and seem some discussion on forums about it. I purchased the Envy from Amazon when it hit $750, and the actual Envy box (not Amazon's shipping box) was pretty rough looking. Tons of smudging, a bit dirty. I don't know if a certain store just man handled these things or what, but it definitely put a damper on my unboxing. Instead of 'oh wow the Envy's cool box!' my reaction was, 'Oh crap, I hope it's ok.'

HP's support had me setup a repair on the first phone call, and have been very kind about everything. :)

I love being able to disconnect the tablet portion from the keyboard portion, but the docking isn't as 'snappy' as others have mentioned. This could just be that my keyboard portion is a little messed up, I don't know. Other than not feeling snappy, it seems to work just fine.

I'm actually very happy and impressed by the audio. Granted, my other laptop audio experience was an HP Mini, but this puts out audio WAY better than the mini.

I've had a couple of freezes, which I'll just chalk up to Windows 8 being newer. I have Windows 8 on a desktop and don't have the same issues, but my old desktop also doesn't have anything touch enabled on it.

tldr; Awesome concept, phenomenal battery life, looks good, runs cool, performs better than old Atoms. My keyboard is whacky, having to send it into HP. Hope it comes back better!

1.0 out of 5 stars Touchscreen has earthing/grounding issues!!!, June 30, 2013
Length:: 0:34 Mins

HP Envy x2: One of the best basic Windows 8 tablets out there but with major flaws making it one of the worst.

I have a 64 GB model (I am not sure if the 32 GB models have the same issue or not). Do this to reproduce the issue:

1. Disconnect the power cord
2. Keep the tablet (or tablet+dock) over an insulating surface like pillow, bed, etc. such that nothing else is touching it.
3. Try to use the left part of the touchscreen without touching the tablet anywhere else.
4. It will NOT work
5. Now touch the back-side of the tablet with your other hand and try the same thing.
6. It works now!

In the video, it works when I touch the metal around the screen with one of my fingers, coz the other hand was busy holding the phone (it didn't fit in my mouth as I thought it would :)

Update 7/6/2013

Returned it after discovering one more issue. If you charge the tablet and the dock completely, let them be attached to each other and keep hem turned off for a day, the next day you will discover that the battery's charge has depleted completely! This may again be due tot he same earthing issue which causes the tablet/dock to discharge spontaneously.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I thought, but not perfect., April 15, 2013
Update 5/5/13: Found a pretty annoying flaw. The keyboard battery recharges the tablet battery when the machine is shutdown with no AC power. This wouldn't be so bad if it stopped when the tablet is full but it continues to try to charge until the keyboard battery is completely worn down. Only way to avoid this is to separate the two halves otherwise you will have half the batteries dead after sitting a couple of days. The device also has a USB charge mode where it will charge external devices when the PC is shut down. This also kills the battery even if nothing is plugged in. Luckily there is a BIOS setting to disable it.

Original review:
The quality on this device is really top notch. The screen is clearer than my HP LCD monitors and the size is better than most netbooks for my 40+year old eyes. I was worried it would be slow but the dual-core Cloverfield is plenty for normal use and faster than several AMD desktops in my office. I got the 128GB version of the Envy X2. The 64 seemed to tight for me long term even with the SD slots. Some reviewers didn't like the keyboard but it seems fine to me. I can comfortably type full speed. I applied all Windows, HP and BIOS updates and I see no issues.
I've had earlier Atom Netbooks (Fujitsu and Toshiba) and every function would peg the poor CPU to 100%. Not so here with 75% utilization and most tasks at 40%. No more grinding coffee endlessly as the mechanical drives seek back and forth. The SSD (EMMC only actually) is quite competent. The 128GB version has an WinExp of 6.0 which is better than the platter drives in my other laptops. You won't even think about whether this machine is thrashing about. Being fanless as well it doesn't distract or have you worrying that you are sucking your comforter into it's bowls and catching fire. It's rather seamless. Even Skydrive sync which is notoriously horrible is not noticable (though Skydrive is still a slow app).
It has 5Ghz wireless which is nice. Occasionally there is a lag reconnecting from sleep and I've had to cycle Airplane mode to speed reconnection. Signal is better than my 2.5Ghz devices: Bionic, Sony Tablet and Compaq CQ60 from the same spot. I'm not using NFC or BT and have them off. Sleep mode works better than on any x86 machine I've used. It's as good as an ipad or Android tablet. The touch screen gestures can be performed on the panel or mouse pad along with conventional "mouse" functions. The touchpad is very Apple-like with two finger scrolling and a clicking pad. I find the click to be to much effort and touch tapping works better. I haven't tried the HDMI for a second monitor or Netflix on a TV. The batteries charge at an acceptable pace and faster than my Bionic but slower than the Sony Tablet (which has a proprietary fast charger). I'm always impressed how fast Apple devices charge.

Negatives: The hinge that elevates the device in laptop mode really digs into the legs. The sound volume from the speakers is very low on full blast. You have to watch a movie in a quiet room. The easy fix was to download Profound Sound CSharp which allows you to boost the volume. Using this app, even 10% volume seems clearer than in Beats Mode.

As far as Win8, there is a learning curve. Fyi this is not the Win8Pro version (or RT). It is Windows 8 32bit similar to Win7 Home edition. I didn't even know they had a "Home" Edition. Kind of a rip. You could upgrade to Win8 Pro but I don't use Domain controllers anyway; totally confusing IMO for the average Joe. Underneath, It's still Win7 optimized for speed and touch with a completely familiar file system below. Lots of little things are better. Task Manager really tells you what apps are misbehaving. Win8 works nicely after a bit of use. It is a quite scattered with some app shortcuts on the Start screen, some on All Apps, some in the Charms menu, some on the task bar and some on the desktop. The onscreen keyboard doesn't seem to spell correct even though I have that setting on and I can't figure out how to perform some combinations like Ctrl Alt Del unless I change to the "normal" touch keyboard. For real work, you'll want to dock it. Anyway those are MS Win8 problems not HP and any x86 tablet will have those issues until MS refines tings.

I loaded Quickbooks 2011, Office 2007, VLC and few other things. This was a bit tricky. Basically I shared the ROM drive on one of my desktops and connected to the share from the Tablet. The problem being that UAC seems to dump the install process to a System or Admin User which then doesn't have access to the share. So I had to copy the contents of the CD to a local folder on C: and then run the setup. I don't recall this issue with Win7 netbooks and may have to do with the "microsoft.com" log in vs. User credentials. Once installed, all these apps run just fine.

1.0 out of 5 stars You be the Judge, March 28, 2013
(Update 4/20/13)
Today I'm sending this product back. I cannot tell you how relieved I am. I really wanted to like this product- it would really be a stand out computer... if it worked. It has a lot of great features that the computer I'm replacing it with (a more expensive computer) lacks. However, it was altogether too unreliable for me as a law student. Maybe because it's a first generation for HP. I am strongly recommending against this product if you need something reliable (i.e. if you can't deal with restarting your computer about once a day to complete basic tasks). This computer has been the source of a lot of tension for me.

(Update 4/10/2013)
I had to take a star off because of persisting and newly arising 'glitchy' problems. This computer is now completely freezing about once per day (usually upon coming out of sleep or opening a new task like Kindle or HP Support Assistant-- a force shut-down always solves this). Last week, it began to regularly (about once or twice per day) become desensitized to the keyboard for a period of about 5 seconds at a time. I have also had graphics problems with simple applications like Word and Kindle (pixels seem out of alignment or proportions are way out of whack and segments of the screen are black). I have yet to call customer service because of my experience in the past-- I know I will be on the phone for more than a full day, I will have to wipe my hard drive, potentially be without a computer for a few days, and finally restore my settings, programs, and documents. That being said, my extended warranty is of little value. I'm petrified to take final exams on this computer-- it has been very unreliable. At this point I've had the computer too long to return. I regret having bought this item.

I also wanted to add to my original review that the battery life is great. I can get a solid two full days using the docked computer (I'm on my computer almost all day) on a single charge without being too conservative.

(Original)
Out of the package, this product is pretty cool. Solid chassis, sleek design, appealing to the eye. I was and remain confident in the hinge (not too floppy or stiff), and the attachment of the 'tablet' to the keyboard. I purchased this as a replacement of an outdated minibook which I loved, but was failing. I commute via bicycle frequently, so I wanted something rigid and with a solid state drive. I am a law student, so I needed something I could type with, and that would allow some multitasking for research, and would be compatible with testing software and distributed documents (powerpoints, etc).

I initially had the typing issue mentioned by others (frequent "double spaces", extra "letterrs", and "this sproblem"). I thought I could put up with it, but it's just too tedious and happens to frequently. The BIOS update has fixed this problem seemingly completely. Now I am on Word and OneNote all the time, and the typing works great.

I have little glitch type issues with Beats Audio. I should qualify-- the problem is 'little' for me because I don't listen to music much on my computer. If this is a primary use for my device, this would be a serious issue, because it seems that about every fourth time I want to play music, nothing with beats audio works (this includes the keyboard's audio control functions). This problem is resolved with a restart (which is pleasantly quick with the SSD). I've also had some issues with freezing-- I'd estimate about once per week. Additionally, the touch pad's multi touch functions have stopped working at times (two-finger scrolling, zooming, etc), which is resolved by detaching and re-attaching the 'tablet'.

The tablet itself is convenient. I find it larger than ideal in that I cannot 'palm' it conveniently, but I suppose the trade-off is a larger screen size. It's also a bit cumbersome to just whip out on public transportation, since it requires pulling out the computer, opening the computer, detaching the tablet, and putting the keyboard back away (I'm sort of comparing to the Surface or traditional tablets in this respect). I've had no problematic issues with the tablet function per se: just preferential issues.

Here is my real qualm; when I realized the initial typing issues were unworkable (this was before the BIOS update was available), I called HP support. At this time, I had the Envy for less than one month. Every time I called (a few dozen times over the course of several days) I was sent through a mini-maze, trying to find support for this new product. Every time I was connected to friendly representatives who informed me that they couldn't help me with this particular Envy, *even though I had just been connected to the 'Envy' department.*

Without fail, the support I received was from someone who obviously didn't speak English as their first language. Props to them for learning English FAR better than I have learned their language. But HP, come on, you are setting your already frustrated customers up to be misunderstood and further aggravated by outsourcing customer service. For example, my brand new, $800 machine doesn't function properly out of the box, I've been on hold for 4 hours for the third day in a row, and now somebody doesn't understand what my issues when I describe it to them. I cannot tell you how incredibly frustrated I was after several dropped calls, diagnostics and repeat diagnostics (apparently there were no notes taken on my case, so when representatives failed to call back or the call was dropped, I had to start the whole process over again), etc, when they finally told me "you seem to have a keyboard issue." Thanks, I realize that. So at this point in the game I've been on the phone for hours and days, I send my computer to HP to be fixed (I am without a computer effectively this whole time, since the process of diagnosis involves a hard reboot, i.e. no MS Office). They send it back to me with a brand new keyboard and all of the same problems. Grr.

I was in the process of returning this computer to Amazon when I noticed the BIOS update, which fixed my typing issues, but the other small issues mentioned above remain. Because of my frustration, HP called and extended my warranty. I was grateful and accepted, but ultimately I'd rather have a product that works than a guarantee with unacceptable customer service and the headache that comes with it.

I should also note that I have had great experiences with HP customer service on my other products, and that I have only had such serious customer service issues with this particular product. The team serving as customer service for this product is notable different.

Overall, a great product with room for improvement and maybe some glitches that are to be expected in a first generation product for HP, but absolutely horrific and frustrating customer service. If you can waste hours on the phone trying to resolve issues (that in my case were never resolved), go for it!

ARRAY(0xa9571090)