4.0 out of 5 stars Great little device with Windows 8
Published 21 months ago by K. Young

1.0 out of 5 stars Several major flaws forced me to return it
I was so excited to get this convertible laptop/netbook. If the device didn't have the following issues, I would be very happy with it. However, after 1 week I decided to return it. Here are the issues:

Published 19 months ago by P. Carlson

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little device with Windows 8, January 4, 2013
This review is from: HP Envy 11-g010nr 11.6-Inch Detachable 2 in 1 Touchscreen Laptop (Personal Computers)
The Envy X2 is a sleek hybrid laptop\Tablet that runs Windows 8. This isn't a Windows RT device like the Surface, the Envy will run all your Windows desktop applications. This tablet has a dual core Atom processor which is not the speediest processor in the world but the trade off is fantastic battery life. The Envy has a battery in the tablet portion and a second battery in the keyboard base giving you around 12 hours of total run time.

The build quality of the Envy X2 is excellent and the IPS display is a pleasure to use. The tablet portion clicks solidly in to the keyboard base. I've read reviews elsewhere that had concerns with the keyboard but I have found the keyboard to work fine.

The Envy comes with 64 GB of storage but about 10 GB are devoted to a restore partition. There is a MicroSD slot on the tablet and a full SD slot in the keyboard base allowing for expansion. The Envy has 2GB of RAM with no option to increase it.

I was not expecting the Envy X2 to be a powerhouse due to it's limited specs but it runs Windows 8 and Office with no problem. Boot time and shutdown are quick. Overall for my needs the trade off for better battery life over the core i5 tablets is worthwhile. I should note that this is a secondary system that I bought to travel with and I have a Laptop with a core i7 for the heavier processing.

In terms of a tablet I still prefer my iPad 3 to this device. That isn't so much because of the hardware but rather iOS seems better suited to touch than Windows 8. If you are after a tablet that will run your Windows desktop software, though the HP Envy X2 is a great little device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed hardware review, April 15, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'd like to preface by saying my review is of the hardware, not the software. Suffice to say the Envy x2 comes with a 32-bit edition of Windows 8 pre-installed. I will not be reviewing the pros and cons of the OS, just the hardware.

INTRODUCTION:
HP's new Envy x2 hybrid is a tablet masquerading as a laptop, not the other way around. It has a tablet specs (processor, ram, storage) so don't go thinking this is a high powered laptop that will run your latest online multiplayer game. It won't. That's not to say the Envy has no entertainment value because it runs videos and casual games quite competently. I personally think the tradeoff is worthwhile because it makes the Envy light weight, highly portable, and above all, it has a long long battery life.

For the purposes of my review, I will be referring to the Envy's two distinct parts: the tablet side, and the keyboard side.

PROCESSOR, RAM, GRAPHICS:
The Envy x2 has an Intel Atom Z2760 CPU clocked at 1.80GHz and 2GB of 533MHz LPDDR2 SDRAM (not upgradable). It has Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (integrated). I find my programs and apps run really well. I'm running MS Office 2003 without a hitch (my primary use for a laptop) plus a number of casual games and apps purchased from Amazon and the Windows Store. Everything runs great.

TOUCH SCREEN:
I find it sensitive and responsive; very nice, no complaints. There is a NFC area in the upper center of the screen. I don't have any NFC devices so I can't test this. This beautiful widescreen LED backlit display runs in a native resolution 1366x 768 @60p Hz.

CONNECTIVITY:
The Envy x2 has a Broadcom 802.11a/b/g/n wireless SDIO adapter for WiFi. I have a dual-band wireless-N router, and the Envy x2 is capable of connecting to either the 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz band. I use the 5Ghz band and I haven't had a problem connecting or staying connected. It is also Bluetooth compatible and (as mentioned) has a NFC area in the top center of the screen.

KEYBOARD & TOUCHPAD:
The Envy features a full size keyboard with chiclet style flat keys. They have a nice tactile feel and sound when typing. I did initially have a bit of an issue with the keyboard which has been fixed with a BIOS update from HP. I recommend this update if you have the extra space/repeated last letter keyboard issue.

The docking mechanism works really well. The tablet/screen is magnetically guided into place and so there's no fiddling around trying to find the correct position. It's super easy to pop off and re-dock.

Since my main use is writing, I also found it convenient to turn off the Synaptic touchpad by double tapping the square in the top left corner (toggle) to avoid accidentally moving my cursor when my thumbs grazed the surface. I just plug in a wireless mouse and use that instead.

STORAGE & DRIVES:
The 64GB solid state drive makes the Envy zippy. While 64GB doesn't sound like much storage, there are two additional SD slots for expansion--a micro SD slot in the tablet side, and a standard SD slot in the keyboard side. I purchased a SanDisk Ultra 64 GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card with Adapter (SDSDQU-064G-AFFP-A) (so it's usable in either slot) which I installed in the tablet side so I can undock without losing any storage. I'll purchase another for the keyboard side if and when I need it.

Roughly 10GB of the 64GB SSD is set aside as a recovery drive. You can reclaim this space once you make a recovery flash drive. HP includes the app needed to make a recovery drive; all I needed to do was supply the 16GB USB flash drive. At the end of the process, I was given a choice to reclaim the recovery partition as useable space. I recommend making the recovery drive even if you don't reclaim the partition, so that you have an independent backup of the factory default OS should you ever need it. Of course, there's an option to purchase this directly from HP, but expect to pay $$$ plus tax and shipping. Making your own, while your recovery partition is in good nick, is a much cheaper option.

There is no optical drive in the Envy, but if you have, or purchase, a USB DVD drive like the AmazonBasics USB 2.0 8x DVD Writer External Optical Drive (Black) then you can load your older software and compatible games.

FEATURES & SLOTS:
Tablet:
1 x MicroSDXC expansion storage slot
1 x headphone/microphone (single 3mm jack)
2 x cameras (front facing and back facing) with integrated mic, 8MP, 1080p video capable
Power on/off button
Volume control button
Stereo speakers featuring BEATS audio

Keyboard:
1 x standard SDXC expansion storage slot
2 x USB 2.0 slots
1 x HDMI output
1 x headphone/microphone (single 3mm jack)
Synaptic multi-touch gesture touchpad
Power charger slot

The Envy has two batteries, which makes for an incredibly long battery life. It is also designed to drain from the keyboard side first, so if (after using it all day) you decide to undock and take the tablet, you (hopefully) don't have to recharge first. Neat idea! I find I only have to recharge every 2nd day, and that's after a full day of using Word.

OTHER:
The Envy has a really nice brushed aluminum shell, which gives it a really classy look and feel. It's also a very thin computer for in a backpack or book bag, and ultra lightweight while still maintaining a huge 11.6" screen. As mentioned, the Envy comes with a full version of Windows 8 pre-installed, meaning most of my older software will run. This is a big plus for me.

The power brick is tiny, measuring only 3.25" x 1.5" x 1" approx. This is a nice for when you need to take it with you.

IN CONCLUSION:
If you're after a laptop for high powered apps and games, then the Envy x2 probably won't fit your needs. However, if you're after something that has the convenience and portability of a tablet but the functionality of a laptop, then the Envy x2 might just fit the bill. Yes, you might get more bang for your buck by lugging around a traditional heavy i3 or i5 laptop, but for me, the lighter weight, 12+ hours of battery life, in an easily transported compact shell makes the HP Envy x2 my ideal choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very capable touchscreen PC with the ability to become a tablet; not just a tablet with a keyboard., January 23, 2013
Length:: 4:54 Mins

One has to imagine this sort of device is exactly what Microsoft had in mind when Win8 was in development. An interesting marriage of laptop and tablet, offering all the touch screen benefits of the latter with the power and access to mainstream software of the former, all in the body of what used to be called a netbook. Netbooks, of course, died out as a species with the popularization of tablets, the iPad and various Android offerings all but pushing those small, inexpensive, bare-boned PC offerings right out of relevant space. The HP Envy x2 isn't a rebirth of the netbook, it's really a new species entirely, and despite being a relatively early entry into a new arena, it's polished and sophisticated.

As a disclaimer, I own and love Apple products without crossing whatever line is necessary to get into unabashed fandom. I have and use an iPhone, I have and use regularly an iPad mini which replaced an old and tired (but loved) first generation iPad. You could easily replace Apple/iOS with comparable Android devices here, because my point is that I really enjoy these devices, and all the portability and ease of accessibility that they bring BUT there are areas of use that they just can't and don't address. Then there's my main laptop, 18" of desktop replacement that is technically portable, but I'd feel sorry for anyone who actually wanted to lug it around, and popping in on your lap to work away from a desk or table would be akin to having a German Shepherd as a lap dog; hot, blows a lot of air, heavy, not particularly comfortable.

As my short and silent video demonstrates, you're out of the box and running here in less than 10 minutes. The brushed aluminum body of the device is pleasing and manages to avoid major fingerprint issues. In laptop form, it weighs in at 3lb 1.4oz/1400g, when detached the tablet/screen is approximately 1lb 8.5oz/698g -- compare to a 1st gen iPad which is about 862g with a stock soft cover, and what you have is more power and flexibility in a lighter device (again, compared to a 1st generation iPad).

The solid state hard drive makes for lightning quick boot ups. Those of you out there still using systems with traditional drives will marvel at power on to desktop waiting times that can be measured in the teens (seconds) or even less. My fastest of a few different tries (demonstrated on the video) was 10 seconds, that's cold to Windows ready to go, which is remarkable.

There are sacrifices, of course. Processing power is not going to be up to speed with current desktops or higher end/larger bodied laptops (though it will be superior to every tablet I'm presently aware of). Battery life isn't going to be as substantial as larger laptops with one or more substantial battery packs. Graphical power is going to be what one would expect with integrated Intel graphics, this is not a high end gaming rig - but that's not what it's trying to be. But it's capable on each of these fronts, and it exceeded my expectations which, going in, were more in line with "this is going to be a tablet with a keyboard" rather than "this is going to be a capable PC with the ability to split off and be a tablet".

My iPad mini is still going to be my go to browsing and email device; but I can't work on that because of the PC-specific requirements my job requires, so the HP Envy x2 *will* be getting heavy use (assuming I can get it away from my wife who has decided it's just what she needs too) when I need to have a capable java-enabled browser and the ability to have multiple open windows. What that means is I'm untethering myself from my big laptop, and that's a great thing. Even in the comfort of home, portability and agility is king. I find the touch quick and responsive when the screen is docked to the base and when it's not. I find Win8 right at home on the device, quick to load and responsive either in the new Start menu or in the old. Office loads right up, and the machine handles a reasonably heavy `work-style' processing load efficiently. The specs are all listed in the product description and other reviews have rehashed them smartly, so what's left for me to say is that the Envy x2 exceeded (and continues to exceed) my expectations. This is a PC, not a watered down PC the way netbooks were, but a capable box that also offers touchscreen in the way Win8 was truly intended, *and* is capable of splitting off and being a powerful tablet as well. Throw in Beats sound and an HD camera, and this will be a dream machine for those who want the best of both worlds. Note that the ports (with the exception of the SD slot *and* a secondary headphone jack) are on the base of the unit and not the tablet/screen portion). But connecting them on the fly without closing or changing applications is quick and easy, as demonstrated in the video. Outstanding job, HP.

tl;dr -- Outstanding `tweener' device, highly capable both as a PC and as a Windows-based tablet. Highly recommended for those who need the functionality of the former and value the portability option of the latter.

1.0 out of 5 stars Several major flaws forced me to return it, March 9, 2013

1) Light Bleed Around Screen: The screen had significant 'light bleed' around the edges of the screen. I was sitting in a dark room the first time I turned it on and wow, the light bleed around the edge of the screen was very annoying, especially when watching a movie. Out of curiosity I decided to compare the light bleed to that of an iPad. The iPad had NO noticeable light bleed whatsoever. The screen on this device certainly needs to be manufactured better to avoid the light bleed issue that many complain about.

2) WiFi: Unfortunately the WiFi reception is very poor. This is ultimately the reason I returned the device. I used it with various WiFi routers and could never get it to connect faster than about 30 Mbps. Most of the time it would connect around 5 Mbps. Additionally the signal reception was very poor. Even when sitting within 10 ft of the router, it would only get two bars of reception. I think HP has an antennae design flaw. My other laptops and Windows Phones get great WiFi reception in my home and office.

3) Speakers: I was hoping I could put movies on this for the kids to watch while we are in the car. However, the speakers don't put out nearly enough volume. Without supplemental speakers, it would be way too quiet for use in a car or a room with moderate background noise.

Unfortunately after doing quite a few web searches, I determined that many people have noticed the same issues with this device. Therefore these items must be a result of poor design/fabrication. Therefore, I chose to return it. Hopefully HP fixes these items in next iteration of this device. If they do, I'll be sure to buy it. Windows 8 on a touch device of this form factor would be awesome.

4.0 out of 5 stars Combining A Laptop With A Tablet: A Windows 8 Device That Exhibits Surprising Versatility, January 18, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First things first, the HP Envy x2 11-g010nr 11.6-Inch Convertible Laptop isn't necessarily designed to replace your more sophisticated laptop or desktop computer. If you have heavy processing needs or more challenging applications, you're going to want to continue to utilize your other devices. But, that said, this portable unit does show great flexibility in its ability to adapt to the more routine tasks that you may need to perform on-the-go. As with any convertible laptop, this comes in two distinct parts. The screen contains most of the "brains" necessary to fuel regular tablet functions, so you can just unclip it and take it on the road. However if you need standard keyboard or mouse functionality, just connect it back up and you're ready for computer operations.

Windows 8: One of the successes of the HP Envy x2 11-g010nr 11.6-Inch Convertible Laptop is in its usage of Windows 8. If you are a die-hard Windows user, you know that the programs can be somewhat problematic on touch screen devices. There is, oftentimes, too much going on to be wholly effective. Most, therefore, use the less impressive Windows RT technology. So the ability to run any Windows software (unlike the pale shades of RT) is an attractive selling point.

Graphics/Display: The graphics and clarity are perfectly serviceable, if not somewhat better than expected with a HD, Anti-glare, LED-backlit IPS display is powered by Intel Graphics Media Accelerator technology. Once again, this is not meant to stand up to intensive gaming but is suitable for common usage including casual games and HD video.

Compatibility/Additions: The unit has two USB 2.0 ports, a built-in card reader, and a HDMI port. With these, you can customize your experience with external storage or connect to larger monitors depending on your needs. It is Bluetooth compatible and has Wireless network access. And there are headphone/microphone jacks. The unit comes with a front facing camera good for chat (HP TrueVision 1080p HD webcam) and a rear facing camera for specialized tasks (8.0MP). The audio speakers are surprisingly solid Beats.

Design: The HP Envy x2 11-g010nr 11.6-Inch Convertible Laptop comes in a lightweight Brushed Aluminum case. All together, it's about 3 pounds.

Processing Power/Storage: The device is powered by an Intel Atom Z2760 processor which is a 1.8 GHz, dual core unit. This is fairly comparable to what you'd find in other tablets. There are 2GB on on-board RAM and 64GB SSD. While this is probably more than enough for most users, there is no way to upgrade or customize the 2GB RAM with additions.

Battery: The tablet has a battery which boasts about 7 hours of usage. The base, however, also has a battery. When attached, the usage extends to about 12 hours. The double battery really makes a nice difference.

As a Windows user, I really do like the HP Envy x2 11-g010nr 11.6-Inch Convertible Laptop. If that Windows functionality is NOT of major import to you, you might find less expensive alternatives that better serve your wants and needs. But overall, I think this is an incredibly successful marriage of laptop and tablet. When I'm on the road working for any length of time, I still take my more powerful laptop as it is my LIFE. But for convenience and daily activities, I've found myself relying more on this lightweight and handy unit. KGHarris, 1/13.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow-this thing plain rocks, May 11, 2013
I bought mine from Microsoft Store, but i researched using Amazon so I thought I would review here. I spent roughly the last three months researching for a win 8 tablet with good battery life, light weight, can run full win 8 to handle work applications and could go in tablet mode when I want to just surf or watch a movie--and not cost $1000 or more. I bought other competitors from Acer, Samsung, and Microsoft and they all had something glaringly wrong with them that would drive me crazy (weight, price, hardware issues, weird docking solutions). This tablet has so far met all my expectations. I don't expect it to run call of duty or Photoshop. I expect it to run office programs, adobe acrobat pro, my online work programs, email, surf the internet. I have not experienced any of the issues some other reviewers have--my experience has been nothing but positive. I am a long, long user of Microsoft products (try loading windows using 11 floppy discs!!) and win 8 is definitely the direction for computing. If the surface had been cheaper with a better keyboard and a little lighter I would have kept it.

The hp hardware is superb. Everything works as advertised. The atom processor is not a dog--it runs everything I need smoothly. And there is almost zero heat on this thing--like an iPad with windows 8 on it. Hinge works fine-solid as a rock. Attach and detach easily. No issues with space--I am already pushed out to the cloud. SD cards work perfectly (one on tablet and one on keyboard). Battery life stupidly long.

Win 8 is not as difficult as people make it seem. Once you spend a few hours swiping and figuring out the flow of the OS you will not be able to go back to nothing but a mouse and keys. I have a laptop without a touch screen and I feel crippled not being able to swipe on it. In a couple of years every laptop made will have a touch screen. And everyone complaining about lack of apps--are you kidding me? This is a full blown OS that runs everything that makes your life easier--do what I did and give your iPad to your kid so he can play on it while you can actually work on your tablet and relax during your off time. My two cents.

Products I have in my family in case you think I am biased: iPad 1,2, iPhone 3gs, 4s, htc one x, Lenovo laptop, eee pad transformer, self built desktop, Xbox 360, Asus laptop, gateway laptop.

100% recommend this awesome product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great device, but having some issues, February 7, 2013
Update 3/21/2013:

HP has come out with a BIOS fix for the keyboard issue, so I purchased another Envy x2. Before I applied the BIOS patch, the new x2 had the keyboard issue. After I applied it - the issue went away! The stars of the review have been increased from 2 to 4. I had about a full month to consider the other convertibles out there; and just wasn't happy with the other choices. I highly recommend the envy x2 now. It's amazing.

A quick summary of the device: atom is better than previous atom versions, the device is beautiful, does not get hot, has tons of battery life, and now types very well. :)

Update 3/1/2013:

After I sent my replacement back to HP, I followed up with a question once they received it:
I hope you are doing well! I'm sure you are busy, but I still wanted to ask if the Envy I sent back has been of any help for you and your team? If you need any additional input from me, just let me know

A response from HP:
Thank you again for your help. I've been able to reproduce the issue so now hopefully we can get to a solution quickly.

Update 2/13/2013:

My repair was changed to a replacement, and I received the replacement unit earlier today. The replacement was a different model, 11-g0004xx. Unfortunately, the replacement had the same exact keyboard issue, and I decided to return the original to Amazon, and shipped the replacement straight back to HP, with detailed instructions on what's happening, how to replicate it, and examples. Their tech lab should receive the replacement unit tomorrow, so hopefully this issue gets properly identified and fixed before too long :)

This changed my review to 2 stars, as I now have no new laptop. The good points of the device in my original review still stand. If someone were a hunt and peck typist, I suspect they would never notice any issues with the keyboard, and the device really is super cool. I almost considered just dealing with the keyboard and hoping/waiting for a fix because the Envy X2 really is exactly what I want in terms of battery and form factor, but I honestly just can't work on the device (programmer - typing).

Original:

I've purchased the Envy x2 as a upgrade from a very old HP Mini. I know what to expect from Atom processors. I've been very impressed by the speed of this Atom compared to what Atoms were a few years ago. The processor line has come a long way, and I personally love having more battery life over more performance. I made the same performance/battery decision a few years ago with my old mini, and you're not compromising performance nearly as much as you used to.

That being said, this laptop isn't for gaming :) Some of the more graphically intensive games in the Windows 8 app store are unplayable. I find touch scrolling on websites to be a little laggy until the website has fully loaded. This is more of an issue with very graphical/ad heavy sites. Still, it's way better than Atoms used to be.

The device is silent. I'm used to a little more audible/visual feedback when a computer is working on a task, and so it has taken a small amount of getting used to.

The Envy doesn't really get hot. I had read that it was passively cooled, but wasn't exactly sure how hot it would get. It runs much cooler than I would have expected.

The look of the device is great. It looks more expensive than it is, it's sleek, and definitely seems sturdy. The brushed aluminum is great.

It is a little top heavy. If you have it on your lap, you can't press near the top of the touchscreen overly hard. I've been careful about how I lay it down, partly because it's new, and partly because if I was a bit too hasty I think it could tip over in the process. Also, the way the Envy hinge is designed makes it a little uncomfortable when the hinge is resting on your legs. Since it's not the full width of the laptop, the edges get a ya a little :p

The battery life is awesome. It really is. The way the batteries charge is very cool and intuitive. If the tablet section is running low, connecting it to the keyboard (without the ac adapter plugged in) will start charging the tablet battery. I had used the tablet portion down to 68%, connected to the keyboard to do some typing tasks, and when I disconnected it again the tablet battery was 100%. Epic!

Now for my biggest issue - the keyboard. I'm actually sending my Envy back to HP to have them fix the keyboard. The right click on the trackpad is shaky at best. If you click on the very bottom right you won't get any response. Granted, if you move over a little bit, you'll get your right click, but not near the edge. The trackpad will make an audible 'click' noise, but nothing. This is minor compared to the other issue; My space bar will randomly insert an extra space, or even a letter and a space. I'm not writing this review on the Envy because it would be too frustrating. I'm a computer programmer, so I type a TON. As I've mentioned before, I have other HP products. I've never had issues with them.

If the above is a little unclear, here's an example:
Normal: 'My keyboard is working well!'
Envy : 'My keyboard is working g well!' (space, the last letter of the previous word, space)
Envy : 'my keyboard is working well!' (unintentional double space)

Super frustrating. It happens about 5% of the time, and only when the space bar is involved. I've seen another review on here mentioning keyboard issues, and seem some discussion on forums about it. I purchased the Envy from Amazon when it hit $750, and the actual Envy box (not Amazon's shipping box) was pretty rough looking. Tons of smudging, a bit dirty. I don't know if a certain store just man handled these things or what, but it definitely put a damper on my unboxing. Instead of 'oh wow the Envy's cool box!' my reaction was, 'Oh crap, I hope it's ok.'

HP's support had me setup a repair on the first phone call, and have been very kind about everything. :)

I love being able to disconnect the tablet portion from the keyboard portion, but the docking isn't as 'snappy' as others have mentioned. This could just be that my keyboard portion is a little messed up, I don't know. Other than not feeling snappy, it seems to work just fine.

I'm actually very happy and impressed by the audio. Granted, my other laptop audio experience was an HP Mini, but this puts out audio WAY better than the mini.

I've had a couple of freezes, which I'll just chalk up to Windows 8 being newer. I have Windows 8 on a desktop and don't have the same issues, but my old desktop also doesn't have anything touch enabled on it.

tldr; Awesome concept, phenomenal battery life, looks good, runs cool, performs better than old Atoms. My keyboard is whacky, having to send it into HP. Hope it comes back better!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent experience, March 4, 2013
R. Byer "R. Byer" (Bridgetown, Barbados) - See all my reviews
received this device last week and so far it's been wonderful.

if u purchase one, when u receive it...update everything...let the windows updates run...the apps from the microsoft store...and also head to hp's website for the updates on the chipset, processors etc...

after you did all of that, the device will run flawlessly. i had some of the trouble the other users experienced, but that was from using it out of the box. since waiting on the updates to finish and manually updating from the website (should not be this way but windows always says the drivers are up-to-date) i have had no problems whatsoever.

battery life is almost as advertised, but i watch a lot of video so...this is usage dependant obviously.

would stop there as the good and bad has already been said about this device, but please (though it may be hard to wait) do the updates before usage for the full experience. everything is as responsive as you would expect.

also, if you are new to windows 8...watch a few videos on how it is used to get yourself familiar, it is very intuitive. also the hybrid factor also adds to it and gives u all of the gestures at your fingertips.

if anyone has any questions about it please feel free to ask.

UPDATE 6TH MARCH, 2013:

i haven't seen anyone mention this but i ordered two 64 gb cards from amazon...an sdxc and a micro sdhc card...one to put in the tablet and one to put in the tablet dock...now i have over 120gb of extra memory to play with.

u can possibly order a 128 gb sdxc card for the dock to have even more memory...definitely check it out in case u need a memory boost, works like a charm

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Atom-Powered Convertible for Programmers, May 17, 2013
TLDR:
I purchased this machine for one purpose: to perform web development work for 8+ hours a day without having to worry about plugging in my machine.

This machine accomplishes this task, running my full desktop apps (Sublime Text, DropBox, and a SQL browser) at a solid speed. It's not lightning fast, and the machine has some annoying faults I'll list below, but if it means I can work wherever I please without being tethered to an outlet, I'm very happy.

DISPLAY:
Perfect for a compact laptop experience. It's good-to-very-good for tablet use. For around $600 you won't get a retina-esque display, but you'll be pleased. Great color vibrancy and the viewing angles are never a problem. The touch interface is fluid and reliable. BIG issue, however, is the gyro sensor, or how the unit knows its in use and to not allow user input. Lying the tablet down on a flat surface, it sometimes locks and won't allow touch input. Raising it slightly allows it to get its bearings, but this is annoying. It's not a show stopper, but a little more reliability for those of us that like to enjoy a newspaper before bed would be nice.

KEYBOARD:
I like this keyboard more than the one on my MacBook Air. The tiny arrow keys take a little getting used to, but the key travel and feel is superb. A+ job for such a small form factor.

TRACKPAD:
It's not Apple quality, but it's good. I found the "swipes" of Windows 8 would occur at random times, but this was my own error. After some use, it was great. Quick tip: if scrolling is jerky or poor on desktop apps, go into the Synaptic app (type "Trackpad" at the start screen and go down to Settings) and turn up the scrolling speed. After I did this, scrolling in even the oldest desktop apps was great. Scrolling in Windows 8 apps is very smooth regardless.

SOUND:
This is where the unit falls short, but not because of sound quality. I didn't buy a computer jammed into a 1/4" thick frame for deep bass and soaring volume. It's the incessant popping when sound commences via the headphone jack. If you wear headphones, you will get a "WHOP" sound that will rattle your skull before audio begins on the unit, and not always (no, that'd be predictable) but rather every third or fourth time audio commences. Perhaps it was because I was using three-ring "phone" headphones instead of two-ring headphones typically used for audio, but this was a problem. Turning off the "Beats Audio" (which is a hilarious use of the app since the speakers of the unit are tin, and the volume over headphones wouldn't wake a grandmother) seemed to help, but the popping drives me nuts. This might be my fault, as I mentioned, but it drives me insane.

BUILD QUALITY:
The unit looks pretty dang good for a sub-$700 unit. It's a nice brushed aluminum finish that put its competing ASUS, Acer, and Samsung units to shame. I'm glad I looked at it at a local retailer before picking it up, because it's the classiest convertible unit out there. Did I mention the keyboard? I really, really like the keyboard.

I thought using it as a tablet would be ridiculous, but the 11.6 inch display is surprisingly agile, even when holding it with one hand. It feels lighter than the iPad 3 or 4, thanks to the way the weight is distributed across the device. I sold my iPad on Craigslist the next day, as I saw no reason to have two devices for rather trivial tasks. I'm keeping my iPhone and iMac, however :)

PERFORMANCE:
I can speak of the performance from a developer perspective. You will not be running a modern version of a video editor, image editor, or full-scale IDE (except Visual Studio) for programming on this without being a little miffed. I saw decent performance on some large IDEs such as Netbeans, but anything Java-based such as Eclipse, Aptana, etc. will drag too hard to be usable. Opening multiple browser tabs with a large application running will bring about a noticeable slowdown. And even PHPStorm and other native Windows Desktop IDEs dragged the system to a halt.

However, if you use a solid text editor with a SFTP or SVN/Git interface, you'll be very pleased. And if you use Visual Studio, surprisingly, you will be pleased. I could compile Windows 8 apps without a hitch all day long without a noticeable slowdown, and it started up quickly. Kudos go to Microsoft for writing solid software, I suppose.

From a human perspective, it churns through 1080p movies/music/multiple browser windows like a champ. The "metro" Windows 8 apps are especially fantastic. They barely seem to drain battery life and they work great for basic purposes. I was skeptical of Windows 8 as a mobile platform, now I'm kind of a fan. I hope the App store continues to build out, and who knows? Maybe a viable programming environment will come along, and I can get 14 hours of work-time battery life out of this puppy.

And more surprising: it handles 2D Steam games great, even with a gimpy GPU. I was playing a Risk-type game and some modern indie games and never noticed a slowdown.

BATTERY LIFE:
I pounded it pretty hard for a full day, at full brightness, and it lasted 9 1/2 hours straight, no stopping. That's absurd. No Mac laptop can cross that threshold. As a tablet or light-use laptop, with the display brightness at 85%, you probably won't need to charge it for 2+ days. With my common use, and the display at a normal level (70-80%), the tablet battery (the keyboard battery is fizzled) is at 45% battery at the end of an 8 hour work day. I also love how the tablet charges first, then the keyboard battery, and also that the keyboard battery charges the tablet. This ensures you have some juice left for your tablet hours at the end of the day. This was a smart design decision.

OTHER:
First, you must update the BIOS and drivers ASAP once you receive the unit. Otherwise, the trackpad and typing experience will be flaky at best.

Second, you should optimize the machine for performance if you'll be primarily using Desktop apps. I turned off all display eye candy and moved my swap file to a Class 10 SD card to free up a disk channel and noticed a significant performance boost. I eventually got the starting memory down to 25% of the 2GB of included RAM, and things got zippy in a hurry. Would I like to put Ubuntu on it instead? Probably, but until its compatible with the touch capabilities, I'm pretty pleased with Windows 8.

Third, know what you are getting. I am a huge fan of Apple products, but nothing they have on the market can get worked over like a punching bag for 9+ hours and still stay kicking. You are buying a very basic Windows PC that you can also take off the hinges and enjoy as a tablet. I'll keep my Air for now, for the darling 3 hours it stays charged, but you know what's exciting? In two year, this little HP workhorse will have 7-8 hours of usable battery life left, and the Air (or any laptop) will be a doorstop. All for around $600. If I have to buy a PC with a soldered-on battery, that works for me. Especially since I can buy a new keyboard dock and get a fresh 4 hours of battery life.

1.0 out of 5 stars Touchscreen has earthing/grounding issues!!!, June 30, 2013
Length:: 0:34 Mins

HP Envy x2: One of the best basic Windows 8 tablets out there but with major flaws making it one of the worst.

I have a 64 GB model (I am not sure if the 32 GB models have the same issue or not). Do this to reproduce the issue:

1. Disconnect the power cord
2. Keep the tablet (or tablet+dock) over an insulating surface like pillow, bed, etc. such that nothing else is touching it.
3. Try to use the left part of the touchscreen without touching the tablet anywhere else.
4. It will NOT work
5. Now touch the back-side of the tablet with your other hand and try the same thing.
6. It works now!

In the video, it works when I touch the metal around the screen with one of my fingers, coz the other hand was busy holding the phone (it didn't fit in my mouth as I thought it would :)

Update 7/6/2013

Returned it after discovering one more issue. If you charge the tablet and the dock completely, let them be attached to each other and keep hem turned off for a day, the next day you will discover that the battery's charge has depleted completely! This may again be due tot he same earthing issue which causes the tablet/dock to discharge spontaneously.