Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Learn more

on February 4, 2011
You might be wondering what the difference between this and the HP Envy 14-1110nr 14.5-Inch Relic Laptop PC - Up to 3.45 Hours of Battery Life (Carbon) While this HP Envy 14 has a larger HDD and a slightly faster processor, the HDD is a lot slower (at 5400rpm instead of 7200rpm). This difference in HDD speed is worth going with the other laptop with a slightly smaller (640GB) but faster HDD and slightly slower processor. Plus Amazon has it on sale for $924.99 right now. However if that 110GB of HDD space is really that important to you, you could go with this laptop; just trying to inform people!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 26, 2011
I bought this recently to replace a Dell Studio 1537 that had its share of problems. After using this laptop for a few months (I bought mine this past April) I can say that it is definitely one of the best laptops I've used.

Pros:

1. Very solid feel to it. Being an aluminum body laptop definitely makes it feel better than the cheap plasticky feel that some laptops have. Some reviewers have stated that the laptop is heavy; I haven't really noticed it.

2. The webcam's pretty good... I've had Skype chats lasting for about 2 hours without the webcam shutting off. My previous dell's webcam was notorious for shutting off at random and not coming back on without a restart. The quality seems pretty good for an integrated webcam.

3. It's pretty easy to upgrade/replace parts, which is definitely nice given that previous laptops I've had make you jump through hurdles to get to them. All you have to do is remove 5 screws to take off the entire back plate. Very easy to do a thorough clean using compressed air.

Speaking on this topic, I upgraded the RAM on this computer to 8GB. I ended up using this:

Corsair 8 GB DDR3 Laptop Memory Kit CMSO8GX3M2A1333C9
amazon.com/Corsair-DDR3-Laptop-Memory-CMSO8GX3M2A1333C9/dp/B002YUF8ZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309126699&sr=8-1

Perfectly compatible with this laptop, if anyone was interested.

4. There's a little circle in the top left corner of the trackpad that you can double tap to turn it off. Definitely a nice feature when you're typing alot and accidentally move the mouse by rubbing the base of your hand on the trackpad.

5. There are two exhaust fans in the laptop, one in the back and one on the right side. This helps in keeping the laptop cool... I've ran MATLAB with multithreaded code that takes several hours to run on this laptop and it never gets too hot.

Minor Annoyances:

1. The trackpad takes some getting used to, and sometimes feels unresponsive/stuck. You'll definitely need to invest in an external mouse for dedicated use of the laptop.

2. Although HP advertised the screen as being one of the brightest screens found, I've had laptops that have had brighter screens. The screen does display colors pretty well though.

Neutral Points:

1. Only 3 USB ports. Technically, it's 2 USB ports + 1 USB/e-SATA combo. I've never needed more than those 3 at any one time, although I could see where it could be an issue.

Overall, a solid laptop. Definitely recommended.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Overall I like this laptop alot. If it wasn't for my Cons, I would love this laptop and have rated it a 5 star. It was fast out of the box. It comes pre-installed with Photoshop Elements and Premier Elements which is awesome! It definitely makes me happy to have something better pre-installed than Windows Movie maker and Paint...yeesh! I definitely plan to test this laptop out with some gaming and photo/video editing to see how it performs under intense use, but I'm liking it's performance so far.

Pros:
-Great design
-Large 750gb hard-drive
-Nice LED screen
-Great graphics (switchable is a very nice feature for a laptop)
-Photoshop and Premier Elements comes pre-installed
-Fences is a cool add-on as you can hide your desktop whenever you want, not sure about the rest of the features but we'll see

Neutral:
-RAM...would have liked 6-8 GB but 4 gigs will do for now
-Envy Theme...I prefer the Windows Aero theme over the "Envy" theme. To me the Envy theme felt dated and dirty in appearance. If you install this theme you have to go into the MyColors app to reset the theme back to the standard Windows theme.
-No Blu-ray player. While obviously not a deal breaker for me, it would have been nice to have one included on this laptop.

Cons:
-Wireless Connection: I don't know what's going on, but my wireless shows Excellent connection (full bars) but lags at times loading pages and downloading. I'm going to look into it further, but it can get a little annoying. When running on a third-party browser (Chrome) internet seems to be better, so I'm thinking it's HP bloatware on the IE8 install, but will also look into driver updates for the wireless card.
-Touchpad: It's bigger and less responsive than I expected. My hand will also accidentally touch a part of it without realizing (this causes the cursor to jump away from what I was trying to do). Also, the left/right mouse buttons also move the cursor which causes the cursor to jump to a different part of the screen sometimes causing miss-clicks.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 22, 2012
This was purchased to replace a HP DV-5. This notebook had several appeals that enticed me want to try it; the backlit keyboard and the included Photo Shop software. Upon getting and using the computer for a couple months there are something's that are amazing and a few bothersome things that could be improved.

Pros:

This notebook is genuinely built of hard quality material and you can feel that it will hold up for a long time. The beats audio is not bad and works great although sometimes the placement of the speakers at the bottom can be a bit awkward, unlike most notebooks that have the speakers at the top of the keyboard, just below the monitor. The included copies of Photoshop are greatly appreciated out of the box for quick editing. On the specs end, getting 4 GB of ram and a 750 GB hard drive up front is great and the processer speed works out great for demanding applications. Least I forget to mention the backlit keyboard that outside of the Mac realm is not standard on many notebooks PC's.

Cons:

There are several things that disappoint me about this notebook. First it has a beautiful screen but it is covered by a plastic cover leaving an "air gap" between the LED display and you. Why this is so bad is it produces more glare than you would normally get with a notebook screen and on top of that placing that plastic on top of the screen makes the picture seem less clear and kind of washed looking. My second major concern is the jumpiness and overall design of the touchpad. Overtime I believe a software update can fix this but for now it's bothersome. I use a regular mouse anyway so it's not that big of an inconvenience. I'm not so concerned with the lack of a VGA port or only having 2 USB + 1 Sata but one could always have more.
Overall I would recommend this computer and would love to give it 5 stars but for the way the display is designed and the jumpiness and inconsistent response of the touchpad I'm giving it 4 stars.
on December 30, 2011
After many reviews and thorough searching for a good deal, I finally purchased my Envy over a month ago.
I am very pleased with my purchase and loved the overall performance of the components. Only flaw would be the touch pad which doesn't recognize certain actions, but getting a wireless mouse would fix that problem.

The design of the Envy is sleek, and the performance is top notch. I was very impressed with the sound card which is Beats Audio. The laptop speakers are weak but plug in some good headphones and enjoy the crisp thumping of your favorite tunes. I compared my sound card to one of my friends recent laptop purchases and even he was impressed by the sound quality! The interchangeable graphics card is also a neat feature and the display is impeccable.

Coming from a Sony Vaio, I can say that I am pleased with my HP Envy! I'd give it a 8.5/10. If it had Blu Ray capabilities then we would have a perfect 10.
on July 4, 2011
Pro.
- High Performance notebook, compare to those other brand with the same spec. I've try many brand before, Envy 14 is the best in class.
- The best sound beat.
- The case is very durable.

Con.
- A bit heavy, not good for the one who need the light weight notebook. This is for the performance addicted user.
- no VGA out, need to buy hdmi to vga adapter cost around 39.99 USD from hp website.

This notebook deserved "Notebook of the year 2010". and if thy continue to develop the lightweight envy 13. I will buy one more.
on August 28, 2011
I've had my Envy 14 for half a year now with the exact same specs as this product. This is what I though of it after 6 months of use:

Pros:
1. One of the most minimalistically stylish PCs in the market currently (even if they did borrow some design choices from another computer developer)

2. Portability is nice and construction is solid, especially for an HP laptop. Perfect for college lectures

3. The video card is surprisingly competent for playing modern games on lower settings. Black Ops, Bad Company 2, and SC II ran at about 70 fps on low settings.

4. Not a lot of bloatware.

5. Stays relatively cool around the wrist-rests and keyboard, much improved over the Envy 15

Cons:

1. THE SPEAKERS! I cannot express how disappointed I was when I discovered that the speakers were less competent than my 6 year old Dell Inspiron. The bass is terrible, the treble is tinny, and max volume is torturous. If you enjoy playing music, videos, or games on your speakers you WILL be disappointed too. Use independent speakers or headphones.

2. The fan is dreadfully loud. It's so loud in fact that my roommate says he has trouble falling asleep when I'm using my computer for nothing but internet and word docs.

3. Battery hog. I need a backup battery to endure 4 hours of lectures on hp recommended battery settings.

4. Sort of heavy for a 14 inch. It's five pounds, but it's probably due to the optical drive seeing as how the Envy 15 without the drive is only 4 pounds.

5. Touchpad placement is idiotic at best. As I type this review, my right palm is covering half of the touchpad and often glitches it so that I suddenly find myself typing into the search bar instead of a text box.

6. Touchpad functionality is terrible. The multi-touch is somewhat useful, but is hard to use 40% of the time. It'll be impossible to use this laptop's touchpad for longer than a few hours because your wrist will be hurting and your temper short, from frustration. I use a mouse whenever I'm not in lecture and my touchpad is turned off 70% of the time.

7. It's an HP. HP is not a high-end laptop manufacturer, and the Envy series was a good start, but HP still has a long way to go before it can compete with Macs, Asus, and Sony in terms of quality. One example, there is a headphone jack glitch that is chronic in lower-end HP laptops, but somehow, the same glitch made it to my thousand-dollar Envy 14. I, as a consumer, expect more than that when I dish out that kind of money.

Summary:
Very decent, usable, portable laptop, but will not awe or impress many people in terms of usability. I don't regret buying it, but I know that I would have not chosen this laptop if I knew all these glaring issues. If you want a mid-upper end laptop, spend your money elsewhere.

Two-word product description : "Disappointingly average"
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 29, 2013
This is an excellent Laptop Computer, the hard drive is big at 750GB and the RAM was only 4 GB but I added another 4 GB to make it 8 GB. I love the keyboard that light up at night or when it hard for you to see the keys. Its has a lot speed with an Intel I-5 processor too. I would recommend them to all my friends.
on June 8, 2011
It is a great notebook if you like design with certain power. The Processor Core i5, 4gb memory, 750gb HD make a hell of a computer but I am slightly disapointed with the Mobility Radeon HD 5650 1gb ddr3, my last notebook with Intel Nvidia 256mb did basicly the same thing. But that's because I am a game fanatic, it's still a good option for games which don not demand much of the computer, video watching and editing, etc. Ow, yes ..LED monitor is awesome.
on December 4, 2013
It is a very nice computers so fast and with all the characteristics I was looking for. Its price was espectacular too.