on June 20, 2014
I bought one for my kid and we both very happy with this choice.
Graphics and CPU power are great - sufficient to play demanding games like Rome Total War II without lagging.
Batteries last for about 2 hours - enough to survive 1 - 1.5 hour classes without charger.
Reasonably fast startup. A little bit slow, but acceptable shutdown.
Large hard drive.
Solid set of standard features you just assume to be on a student laptop: 802.11b/g/n WiFi, USB ports, HDMI in case of presentation, DVD drive in case teacher would hand out tools on DVD.

Minor things I had to settle for to get laptop at such a low price:
* Only 4GB memory I will not be able to expand. But it seems enough for any task now.
* SSD instead of spinning hard drive would be perfect, but then it would be a totally different price tag.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 19, 2015
Verified Purchase
I don't like it and tried to return it but it was too late. The computer is very slow. It is slower than the Sony I bought 3 years ago. The buttons are placed in awkward positions compared to other computers. It takes a little bit of getting used to and not pressing the wrong buttons. Also the up and down arrow buttons are compressed making it awkward to play games. Battery life is shortest of all lap tops I ever bought. And finally, windows 8 is the worst thing Microsoft ever did. I write this review about a month and a half after I purchased the computer and I still do not like windows 8. I did everything I could to make it look like windows 7 (installed a start menu, changed the touch pad properties, disabled smart corners, etc.) The computer comes with a lot of things you do not use (Netflix, Mcaffee, games, free trial programs, etc.). If you are buying a new PC computer, I recommend different product that can save you a hundred dollars for the same quality.

The computer does have some good features, a CD/DVD player, louder than average speakers, and a large screen
on August 5, 2014
Verified Purchase
I have no negatives to offer. This computer meets all my needs. It is fast, has some good software ( Windows 8.1 takes some getting used to), and the HP help site is very good.
on September 23, 2014
It was the best thing I got for Christmas.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations