HP ENVY 15t i7-4710HQ Quad Core Notebook Laptop PC
Capacity: 15.6" HD + 8GB RAM + 1TB HDDChange
Price:$707.00 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 3, 2013
The Envy 15t-j000 is a high end laptop made by Hewlett-Packard that offers fast processing power with a 2.4 GHz Intel Core I7, and with the upgraded graphics option, can handle almost any game on the market. This machine is a good alternative for gamers looking to have a more portable option than a desktop computer or a heavy gaming laptop. After owning this computer for three months I have encountered very few problems with the machine. The overall build quality seems very solid and reliable, something I would expect from an $800 computer. The one terabyte hard drive is more than enough memory for the average user and the excess hard drive space means that very little management of the hard drive is required, as most users will not fill the one terabyte hard drive in the life of the computer. I have only used 170 gigabytes of the 905 gigabytes of available storage and have installed most of the programs that I need or enjoy using. I have never been a fan of touchpads, however the touchpad on the Envy 15t-j000 had surprisingly smooth motion on the screen and quite responsive. While this computer runs very quickly and provides the performance I required while remaining portable, I do have a few issues with the device. The most aggravating thing about the machine is the lack of an optical drive. When purchasing the computed I did not even think to check if it came with one because it seemed like it should be standard, however this laptop does not include one. This is easily remedied by purchasing and external CD-ROM drive, however it is an inconvenience especially when taking the computer places. The lack of the option to downgrade to Windows 7 was disappointing however Hewlett-Packard did a good job with integrating their own start menu when in desktop mode, a feature windows 8 lacks. This allows you to use Windows 8 just like Windows 7 which makes up for the lack of the optional downgrade. Overall, the performance, build quality, and large hard drive make this computer a good and reliable purchase that I would recommend to users looking for performance on the go. I have been very pleased with the computer so far and look forward to discovering what else the machine has to offer.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 8, 2014
this is probably the cheapest and best i7 processor laptop out there at the moment. here are a few things i noticed right out of the box and things i immediately checked for after reading reviews on here.

1. the mouse pad is huge and will definitely require you to adjust your typing stance. However it is not a deal breaker, the right click buttons most customers found a problem finding is embedded in the track pad, just press on the lower right of the pad.

2. the sound is absolutely amazing and the visuals stunning so atleast it kept true to its words in that regard.

3. battery life is very poor but this seems to be common amongst i7 processor having laptops.

4. the caps lock light is available however for some weird reason they forgot to put in a num lock light.

5. has a good looking webcam no motion blur, crisp images.

6. the processor is powerful and runs tasks with ease, i still do dislike windows 8 but oh well.

7. it is really thing and light and the fan sounds really silent.

overall for its price this is a really good laptop to invest in.
on September 23, 2014
Initially, I was very happy with my HP Envy (I bought the dv6t with an i7 quad core and nvidia gaming processor). Overtime however, the device began overheating to the point that my left hand would nearly get burned from how hot the CPU under the keyboard was getting. I downloaded software to check the temperature of the CPU and GPU and found that both went over 90C after 30 minutes of gameplay. This ultimately led to my motherboard failing outside the 1 year warranty. And it's not as though I didn't attempt to solve the overheating issue. I bought a cooling pad and even took it in to get the thermal paste replaced.

So, if you're buying this notebook to use as an entertainment station/gaming laptop, DON'T. There's a design flaw in these laptops that has not been properly addressed by HP. The only thing they've done is to add "Cool Sense" to their laptops, so your performance will be lowered to reduce the heat generated. This is not a great solution, because I'm sure you're buying this laptop to use it at it's full potential (otherwise you could save some money and get an i5 or i3). Until HP fixes this issue, steer clear from their Envy line of laptops. This is a recurring problem that they refuse to address properly and has been going on for years now: [...]

Above is a link to the HP Support Forum, highlighting some customers overheating issues and the problems they faced after. And if you're not familiar with the HP Tech Support, they are not their to help you most of the time. They are some of the most incompetent individuals when it comes to fixing a computer. The supervisors are a bit better, but it's usually a battle to even try and get one on the line. Also, the 1 year warranties don't cover all the problems you could potentially encounter due to the overheating (if for example it caused your USB ports to fail, leading to motherboard issues... not covered).
2424 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 27, 2014
After having bought and used this laptop for a few months I now have a feeling about how good this computer really is.

Pros:

1) The massive processor and 8 gb ram allows for fast and easy game play and any other activities you can possibly do on this computer run smoothly.

2) As promised the speakers and display is absolutely gorgeous and well worth it.

3) The 1 Terabyte hard drive is more then enough for the average user. (Most users use about 100-200gb of storage but it's always better to have more space the necessary. The reason for this is for computer performance. Imagine that you own a warehouse and it can fix 50 boxes. If you fill the entire warehouse with 50 boxes it's hard to find the box appropriate for your needs. Now if you have a warehouse that fits a thousand boxes, then you have plenty of room to search and organize the things you store)

4) The webcam has crisp images and great!

5) Price is GREAT for what you are buying.

6) The fan is very quiet and hard to notice.

7) The design and build up of this computer is very nice in my eyes. The simple silver and block combination reminds me a lot of the Macbook Pro which is known for it's looks. Along with that this design makes it hard to detect dirt and other wear inflicted on this laptop.

Cons:

Some of the issues I have had with this laptop

1) The computer seems to over heat pretty often. Once this laptop has came through the mail I sat down to customize and play around with this laptop and after a few hours of working on it I closed the laptop and put it away, but I realized that my lap was warm and pretty sweaty. I was sitting in a 60 degree room in Seattle Washington and for me to feel warm truly surprised me.

2) The trackpad is pretty annoying and hard to use. The mouse movements and guidance is not much of an issue, but clicking, highlighting, and other basic commands seems to be more of a challenge.

3) The battery life is low. At best this laptop has lasted 2-3 hours without it's charger, but this is expected out of an i7 4th generation 2.4Ghz Processor.

4) It runs Windows 8 which I am pretty sure most people agree that it is terrible. But there is an option to downgrade back to windows 7 and I am glad that i had this option.

5) No CD/DVD compartment. This is just something that I would have enjoyed to have.

Overall this laptop is a real steal and is well worth purchasing especially for the price it is enlisted at.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 16, 2014
I will do this in bullet points to make it as brief and linear as Possible:
1. Noticed Broken Screw Bottom right side.
2. Hour on Chat Session with someone sending me screw kit.
3. Further examined computer, hinge was loose inside chassis (5 month Old Computer, never dropped and handled delicately)
4. Hour and Half explaining that I need warranty service but customer service rep kept confusing the screw kit with a warranty repair box for computer.
5. After the hour and a half insistence that I need warranty repair, he generated Box to be shipped with THE WRONG NAME AND ADDRESS!!!
6. Chat Session again for 45 minutes to cancel previous RMA and generate new shipment with correct Name and Address.
7. Two days later, box arrived. Return sent very next day.
10. 10 Days later after generating initial warranty repair and service Computer Comes back with a Different Lower Chassis (as there were component stickers on original machine) but same lid...WITH A COMPLETE SYSTEM RESET and RESTORE!!!

They completely wiped all my files and system for a HINGE REPAIR!!! Not only that, there are gouges in the Mouse pad from a Screwdriver or something. Yes, there is always the possibility that they will do such a thing during warranty repair. And I understand if your system is really screwed up...but really, a hinge repair? Was that necessary?

Now, I've been friendly and understanding the entire way through but still, service the entire way through has been Lackadaisical and Apathetic compared to my experience with DELL and other manufactures.

Now it will take me a great deal of time to restore and set up my computer close to what it was.

Yes, the computer has a great processor that you could only find in an comparable ASUS. But the screen has marginal definition and is hard to see at specific angles. Also, the screen will only about a 116 degrees. Not very functional, especially for a touch screen.

Update:

Update with tech support. So far senior tech support cannot derive a way to restore my System Image from my a back up because of a system glitch nor able to restore a back up from another set of files from done on "File Back Up".

I wanted the entire system restore from image, but I'm not sure how that is going to happen. Therefore, all my backup may have been lost even though I've done my due diligence with System Image and File Backup before sending off my computer.

Not sure of what the solutions will be at this point. I'm professionally devastated from this loss of data and time I've devoted to it and will have to.

YET ANOTHER REVISION TO THIS FIASCO: 5/27/2014
After spending over a week restoring my computer after doing some research on how to access a Windows Image via Disk Management (which is not the way Windows Back up or Image Restore is supposed to work), I noticed a blemish in the screen I thought was dirt. So preoccupied with restoring it to it's working condition, I didn't try to clean or inspect the mark. It is indeed a defective screen. HP replaced my entire computer, save the top lid, with a salvaged scratched up computer when it went to Indiana for Warranty Repair. I was going to live with the scratches on the touchpad, but this is unacceptable. I know it can't be something that happened from my side because the abrasion, separation or scratch is on the interior of the glass. Perhaps where the protective glass meets the LCD. It's not an exterior scratch. Been trying to get some resolution but have yet to hear from case manager. Will report their solution and resolution.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 3, 2014
I do agree with the majority of the comments. It is a very nice laptop for the price.

As I tried to upgrade the 1T HDD to 256 GB SSD, I encountered the difficulty of dissembling the laptop as I had to remove about 20 screws, the laptop keyboard surface, all the ribbon cables, and the hard drive case. It was a very tedious job. I had to be very careful on handling the keyboard surface and the ribbon cables.

For the overheat issue, since the hard drive case "sealed" and cushioned the hard drive very well, it really stabilized the vibration and reduced the noise from the hard drive. I guess it also makes the Beats acoustics better. On the other hands, it provided a poor ventilation or heat dissipation. I think that switching the HDD to SSD could resolve the overheat issue a little bit.

For the WiFi, it only supports 2.4 GHz for 802.11n.

Hopefully, the above comments can help you to make decision on purchasing.
on December 24, 2014
I have had this laptop for several months and have had no major issues with it. The laptop itself works fine, the speakers, screen, and layout are excellent. I make high use of the laptop and it has not let me down. However, HP and it's customer and technical support has let me down. Resolving a very small issue which was covered in my 3 year warranty that I bought for $180 took several hours on the phone (on Christmas Eve) and all they did was look for ways to wiggle around fixing my computer and honoring my warranty. The service people were not helpful, very sneaky, and generally horrible to deal with. I would buy a similar laptop again, but never ever from HP. In the end they did not provide me the service, and charged me an extra $200 to ship my computer to them for repair.. all after I had already spent $180 on the extended 3 year 3 day onsite ENVY warranty.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 13, 2014
Upon opening the laptop out of the box, I was happy to find out that the laptop was very sleek. The picture do not do it any justice, this laptop is just an eye candy!! It looks amazing. FAST, lots of memory space, and a lot of RAM!!!

The laptop does not weigh a lot for a quad core machine, I definitely recommend this for those who are looking for : a gaming laptop, a college student, and every day tasks that require power!

This machine has it all, you can easily upgrade this machine yourself if you want a faster speed hard drive/ssd.

I love this machine because of how sleek and sturdy it feels, granted it's not real aluminum, it still definitely takes the prize home for best laptop I have ever owned.

FAST boot up, quiet, FAST, runs cool, hasn't crashed.. OK camera... and the compliments I have received are plentiful.

If you are in the market for a fast laptop, that won't burn a hole in your pocket .. grab this one.

4th GEN HASWELL core i7..

what more can you want??
on December 16, 2014
Research all the issues with this line before you buy. I bought the Envy M6 earlier this year (2014) and had issues with the touch pad right away. I sent it in three different times over 4 months until they finally replaced it with the newer M15. Each time it was sent in they replaced a part (hard drive, motherboard, toch pad) and reloaded both the software and drivers. Every time the issue persisted. Now I am having the same issues with the M15. A simple search of tech forums and HP's own forum revealed that lots of people have experienced the exact same issue and none of them have found a reasonable fix. It is a real shame too because this would be a great computer otherwise. This combined with the other issues people have reported though should scare you away from the Envy line. I have always loved my HP notebooks but after 10 years of buying nothing but HP notebooks the issues I have had and the poor customer support have driven me to look for something else. Do some research and save yourself the hassle.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 8, 2014
I had a really bad experience with HP. On July 8, 2014 I called to report that my HP Envy laptop was damaged at the hinge where it connects to the screen. I am always very careful with it, I never dropped it, or slammed it closed. When I closed the computer I noticed that the right hinge began to come apart. The problem has become increasingly worse, and now I cannot close the computer because the screen will brake if I do.
I do know that my pc is out of warranty. However, this is a common manufacturer issue. My husband and I were long time HP customers and recommended them to all our friends and family.
The customer service representative, Nancy, was arguing with me about the expiration of the warranty and she was inferring that I was a liar that I made up that there are many people that are having this exact same problem. She wanted us to pay $169.99 for repairing the computer that has a manufacturer’s defect.
I am very disappointed about this product and the way that the customer service representative handled the situation. I asked for a supervisor and she kept me waiting for over 30 minutes and of course “Ashvine”, the supervisor, couldn’t do anything. I requested him to transfer me to a supervisor in the USA and he refused to do it.
I have never had an issue like this with any of their computers before. After doing some research, I found that this is, in fact, a common problem with the Envy line of notebooks. It is a shame to see the decline in customer service, and inferior products from HP.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations