5.0 out of 5 stars No Regrets
Published on February 25, 2012 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Laptop, sub-par HP cust. Service
This review has less to do with the quality of the laptop than it has to do with HP's failing customer service.

Published on March 24, 2012 by Eric O.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Regrets, February 25, 2012
This review is from: HP Envy 17-3070NR 17.3-Inch Laptop (Black/Silver) (Personal Computers)
After my last laptop, the Dell Studio XPS 1647, took an unexpected turn for the worst, I began searching for a replacement. After a week of research, I finally decided on this laptop and after a week of using it, I have, as the title says, no regrets. Before I list my pros and cons, I just want to say what I have and will be using this laptop for. Java programming, Photoshop, movies, music, gaming, office work, and onsite tech work. Actually everything I just listed I have used it for.

PROS:
-Screen: Watching movies/videos on the 1080p screen looks beautiful. Viewing angles are very nice. Colors, as far as I can tell, are accurate. I shied away from the 15" Envy due to many bad reviews about the color problems. Having a 17" screen is very very nice. When doing Java programming, it's so nice to see all your little IDE windows and have enough screen space to code without scrolling.

-Keyboard: My last laptop had a back-lit keyboard, and once you get one, you never go back. It's just too nice, especially when I do onsite tech work and there is little to no light where I'm working. The island style keyboard is very comfortable to type on. Every keystroke feels solid.

-Touchpad: After about 30min of tweaking the Synaptics settings, I got the touchpad to work the way I wanted. Mind you, everybody will be different. The left and right mouse buttons are very easy to use, despite some reviews I read. The double click to disable the touchpad feature, is a nice touch, as I use my G500 to play games.

-Graphics: While I know this is not a gaming powerhouse, I can play Skyrim on High settings without breaking a sweat (literally and figuratively). The laptop stays relatively cool compared to XPS1647. I installed WoW, and again no problem at Ultra settings. The automatic switching of graphics is a plus. Usually when I'm mobile with my laptop, I'm not doing anything graphics intensive. I haven't had a chance to fully gauge the battery life.

-Audio: The fact that this laptop has Beats Audio, was not a deciding factor for buying, but I just wanna say I'm a believer. I'll never buy his headphones, but they did a great job with laptops. The dedicated volume knob and mute button is very nice feature.

-Ports: This was one of the reasons I bought this laptop, it's port happy, but in a good way. I have a 3 monitor setup at my work. So I'm glad I can used all 3 monitors with this laptop. Having 4 USB ports, 3 of which are 3.0 is a plus.

CONS:
-Touchpad: I've never owned a Mac , but I've used a Mac touchpad and I'm not afraid to admit they have the best. The multi-touch gestures are just not great on windows. Either it doesn't recognize the correct gesture, or doesn't work. I just enabled the scroll feature on the right side of the touchpad.

-Hard Drive: Not really a con as I will end popping in an SSD, but I would have paid an extra $100 for a dual SSD and HDD. Although, it does have a 7200rpm HDD, which I can't complain too much about.

-Keyboard: Nothing wrong with the keyboard actually, but the by default, the function keys' default action is not F1-F12, but the laptop fucntions. For example, you have to hit function+F5 to refresh a webpage. This setting can be disabled in BIOS and essentially it just flips it. This con is more of a personal preference and a habit of using certain keyboard shortcuts.

-Software: As expected, lots of bloatware is installed. I just wish HP would come out with a detailed explanation of any software they install. Took me about a day to determine which software I could live without and safely remove.

OVERALL:
I'm very pleased with this laptop, and I think anyone thinking about buying this laptop, should. Yes it's big, but you're getting a 17" laptop to be mobile sometime and not all the time. The weight is not really an issue. I think this laptop is great for anyone wanting a mobile workstation with the processing power and graphics capabilities to handle just about everything out there. Don't buy this laptop if you wanna run every game at max settings. At which point you really should be looking at a desktop. I went into this purchase knowing what I was getting, and got a little more than expected!

5.0 out of 5 stars A serious attempt at a MacBook Pro clone for Windows 7, May 1, 2012
More than any other PC laptop I'm aware of, it is clear that this was designed beat a MacBook Pro with a Windows 7 PC. Of course this is an impossible task as the MBP hardware is so integrated with the Apple operating system. But within the context of what was possible, there's no doubt what the designers were trying to do. As somebody who has owned several dozen PCs (through my company) and has owned four Macs, I believe they have succeeded. I'm thrilled with it and recommend it to others. Of course I haven't used it for a long time and that will be the ultimate test. But I did know before buying it that my nephew has been banging around with his 17 inch HP for quite awhile and it still works fine.

Before I do that I'd like to address the issues of service and the issue of the expensive additional hardware for changing a disc drive or adding a new one brought up by Eric O. I would never have thought to do this without reading his review, but within a minute or two I went to the HP site where I downloaded their parts guide. It clearly states that this part isn't provided and gives a part number. I put the number into Google and found numerous places that sell it for $65. That price is nuts and obnoxious but at the same time they could have made more money by supplying it and adding ten dollars to each computer. I would guess that less than 10% of their users will take advantage of this. But I'm not going to defend the $65-- that's nasty and bad business--but Eric O. should know that he at least got a free $65 for not reading the online manuals and going through all of his stress and wasted time. And as I want to talk about the MacBook Pro, can you put a second drive in it at any price?

As far as service goes, I spent many hours investigating the service on every computer I was considering. The comments on them were all horrible from every brand. So I then looked at things like the nerds at Best Buy, etc. and the sheer fury that people had about them burned my fingers at my keyboard. Eventually this led me to a company called SquareTrade. Again, I spent a lot of time looking at many dozens of people who loved everything about this company. I found one negative response--from a guy who wanted to get more from SquareTrade than they offer in their contracts. I called them and was impressed and ended up buying a plan for my iPad. I don't have anything to do with SquareTrade, but they were great on two phone calls and followed up with my email confirmation with a phone call and a letter about my iPad contract.

I have 90 days before I have to buy a Warranty on the Envy. The SquareTrade plan is $200 for three years. As I was buying my Envy from J&R Music world which was selling it for $100 less than the HP website or anyplace listed on Amazon at that time (it's up now) that meant I could get three years of service for an additional $100.

On to the MacBook Pro comparison:

Price - The MBP costs $1100 more than what I paid for my Envy

Keyboard and design - As everybody says, HP has stolen the look and the backlit keyboard. But there is a keypad and more keys in general. I'm not crazy about the arrow buttons and I keep hitting the num lock button because it's next to the backstage button. But for my usage - score the keyboard as a win for the Envy as it has more stuff.

The MacBook Pro wins on the TrackPad, weight and I suspect overall strength and durability. The processor speed is 2.4 i7 and on the Envy it is only a 2.2. It has Thunderbolt, which is awesome. Does it have a better screen? I love the Envy screen and I don't care.

RAM - The Envy has 8GB vs 4GB MBP

DVD - The Envy comes with Blu-ray and the MBP doesn't.

The Envy hard drive is 750 GB 7200 rp vs 750 GB 5400 rpm drive (ugh!) on the MBP. $50 extra for 7200 rpm. There is no excuse in 2012 to have a 5400 drive not standard on a top-of-the line laptop. Displays - You can connect three displays to the Envy and two to the MBP.

Do you get more speed from a processor that's .2 better or from double the RAM and a 7200 rpm drive? My experience is no.

Ports - The Envy has 3 fast ports (USB 3.0) and one normal (USB). The MBP has one fast port (Firewire 800) and three normal speed ports (USB 2.0) But it has Thunderbolt which puts the MBP in an entirely different dimension if you are a pro editor, musician, etc. If you need that, then get the MBP. On the other hand, firewire 800 ports have already begun to be phased out by some music hardware companies that had them before. Apple doesn't include their firewire 400 connections now. Maybe in the future they will go all Thunderbolt to make you buy more stuff from them.

Graphics - Everybody complains that the Envy has AMD Radeon, but guess what? So does the MBP. I'm going out on a limb to say the Apple one is a lot better. But it is still the dreaded Radeon that everybody seems to hate.

Displays - You can connect three displays to the Envy and I don't know how many with Thunderbolt. A lot. Fill your house with displays? Having four screens seems enough, but that's just me.

Music - No contest. Envy's Beats Audio slaughters the MBP.

Camera - I personally like the Envy camera much more than Apple ones I've used (they adjust better for lighting changes) and it comes with silly software that kids will like. In fairness I haven't spent time with the camera on the newest MBP yet so maybe it's just as good.

Battery - the MBP has a good battery. But I need to complain here that my battery on my iBook never lasted more than an hour or so from its first day and swiftly became non-functional. This was the word on the battery by 100% of the people on the Apple community board before I bought it. T But I needed a new iBook and there was no other option. Is saying that a new Mac laptop has a long-lasting battery a way of saying that the older ones were pretty bad?

Heat - This Envy is the coolest running laptop I've ever had. I run it all day and it isn't even warm. It wasn't pleasant to put my iBook on my lap... a scorcher. No idea about the new MacBook.

Warranty - HP gives you a one year limited warranty, but they currently have a special on their site for a free two-year warranty. I believe they have been reading the bad comments on this page about their service. Before and after I bought the computer I was quickly able to get a helpful person on the phone. After my problem was solved I got a phone call later just to make sure I was okay. I don't like that kind of thing, but it does show they are trying. You can buy more coverage from HP for $200. AppleCare is $349 for three years. Ouch!

Digital Media Reader - The MBP has it this year, but this is one of those, "Isn't that amazing?" Apple improvements over something that's been pretty standard on PC laptops for years. If you don't have this year's MBP, I don't think you have this.

Included Software - Apple computers used to come with iLife, but I don't think they do these days. Envy comes with Adobe Photoshop and Premiere Elements, which are great programs. They are both harder to learn, less fun, and more powerful than the two similar iLife programs you can get for $40 (and get GarageBand and other great stuff too) Premiere Elements is more like the semi-pro Final Cut Express than iMovie. On the dark side Envy comes with Norton which I guess is okay unless, like me, you want to get rid of it. If so, good luck! You can get other software to remove it (as I did) or buy another copy of Windows and start clean. Once Norton moves in, it has no intention of ever leaving. Tip: Their uninstall doesn't work until you activate the program. There's a limited version of Office, but what good is that?

Finally, what I loved about Apple computers when I first started using them were these special treats you get. Stuff they didn't have to do. This computer comes with a velvety cover. That's a little thing but I really like it. You can do wireless audio. There is apparently something called ProtectSmart which protects your data when you drop the computer. Add that to the cooling tech and the Beats Audio, etc. They are out there trying to excel. In my opinion, these days Apple is putting a lot of their imagination into the iPad and maybe the MacBook Air. They're coasting on their regular computers.

On the downside with the Envy is that they don't give you much printed documentation or even good PDF. I don't want a lot of little files, I want a good manual. You have to use their online support, which I don't like. They don't make it easy to see how to make a recovery disc which is something you should do on the first day--when you go to "Recovery" you don't get that info. (And you better do it right--you only get one chance) They sell you recovery discs but that is really cheesy. Recovery discs should come with the machine. These are the kinds of little details where they would provide a much better customer experience that are well worth charging customers a few bucks more for.

I'm not an expert and don't pretend to be, so I hope some people will come in and fix the mistakes in what I've written above.

As for a lot of reasons I have to run my Macs in Boot Camp a lot, I am in heaven with this thing. I don't care about the weight as I'm not going to ever take it out of my apartment. Generally I travel with my iPad and a keyboard. Of course it might break soon or someday, but so could any computer. I have service plans and the authorized repair place is ten minutes from my home. I'm feeling good about this purchase and highly recommend it to others.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Laptop, sub-par HP cust. Service, March 24, 2012

The laptop is working perfectly, was shipped with all of the latest drivers, and has never had a hiccup. It is smokin' fast for a laptop, and with an added SSD, this is unmatched for speed. For the quality of the product, this gets an EASY 5 stars. If they allowed the option to add an nvidia 560m or 570m instead of the AMD junk, then this would be a 10 star machine.

Now, for the reason the rating is so low. Upon ordering this laptop, which took place via phone, the sales associate (if you will) knew absolutely nothing about the product. I knew more about the laptop simply by looking up the specs on HP's site before the call. It could have been a simple purchase, but because I wanted to make sure this laptop was to be delivered ready to accept a second HDD, I asked the question. I was assured that it was completely ready to accept a second HDD upon delivery, the wiring would be ready to go, and the drive bay hardware would be included. Well, when I received it, the only thing that was included was the SATA cable for the second drive. The rail kit to keep the second drive from flopping around was NOT included, which, again, was supposed to be.

The following takes place via a single 2-hour phone call:
The next day, I called HP cust. service, I explained the problem, and they transfered me to sales, which was of no use, and they transfered me to tech support to get the part shipped out, but tech support couldn't get access to the part, so I was transferred to the HP parts store, and they advised me that the $0.10 part would be $58 including shipping, which was unacceptable by any standards, so I was transfered back to customer service, who transferred me to sales again (this is where it starts to get better) where I was told that they could refund the money to my original charge for the laptop and would stay on the line while the part was ordered from the HP parts store.
I payed with credit card over the phone to have the part shipped out via Fedex overnight, and then received the refund immediately that day on the prior purchase. Don't ask me why it took HP from Thursday (the day the part was ordered) until the following wednesday to actually give the part to Fedex, which had it delivered by 10am on thursday, making this a one week part order. Upon inspection fo the rail kit, I found that it was lacking the screws to actually secure it to the laptop chassis, yet included the screws to fasten the HDD to the rail kit. I already have plenty of HDD mounting screws, but I DON'T have the special, and much smaller, screws to mount the rail into the bay. I refuse to contact HP about this issue, as I don't have another 2 hours of my life to donate to this problem, so I'll try to find the correct screws at a quality fastener store.

Luckily, I had a couple reps throughout this ordeal who stuck with me on the phone and got this all sorted out, and at the end, I had a total of FOUR reps on a conference call with me at the same time in order to get the part ordered and get refunded. Seriously, there were no exagerations in this "Story" and its hard to believe that stuff like this continues all the while companies are fully aware that a bad review is going to take place afterwards. I urge you to purchase this computer, only because there is nothing comparable for this price, unfortunately, be prepared to NOT deal with an American EXCEPT for Tech Support. Tech support is the only place this company did right. I hope this brings insight into your future purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Laptop Buy Yet, March 31, 2012
I buy a LOT of electronics including a various computer systems. It is both a hobby of mine and part of my job. As the CEO of a software development company I must keep up with technology and often need the latest hardware to ensure our software runs properly for our client's applications. Of all the thing I've purchased in the past few years, this HP Envy 17 is one of my favorites. The Toshiba Thrive and Amazon Kindle Fire are my other two in the "best of" list.

HP has done an excellent job of mimicking the "Apple experience". The packaging from the box to everything in it was superb. If you replaced the HP logo with an Apple you'd have thought you just opened that latest Macbook Pro. Of course you'd have spent barely HALF as much.

The quality of experience with this product remains high throughout. The look & feel of the laptop itself is top-notch. Even with some best-of-breed specs on this model it remains thing & light, very much following the lead Apple has set in the market. The screen quality is great, thought I wish everyone would STOP following the Apple "shiny is better" mantra and give me a usable matte screen instead (much better for coding and 12-hour sessions at the keyboard). The processor & disk performance are the best you can get for under $2500, and the USB3 drives are so much faster than anything before it that offline backup and storage is no longer a hassle.

There are also a number of features I didn't even realize the laptop had when I purchase it, but have grown to either love, or a least still think they are cool a month later:

* The "super drive", or slot-loading CD drive to use generic terms. I can't tell you how much I don't miss the tray loaders that were on every other system I've used (other than the Mac Minis and Macbooks).

* The auto-sense option that turns on/off the backlit keyboard when I approach the system or walk away.

* The fact someone thought about leaving the manual backlight button LIT when you turn off backlighting, so you can find it later. (When I'm working late nights in front of the TV the lights are low, and this is a great feature... same when gaming).

* The volume control DIAL built into the side of the laptop. Not too mention the center button in the dial to bring up the extended audio controls ("Bass Boost" or something like that).

* Several high-speed USB-3 ports that are 10x faster than USB-2 if you have the right equipment.

* The USB-2 port, because some drivers don't play well with USB-3 even though the specification is CLEARLY written that all USB-3 stuff is supposed to be 100% forward and backward compatible (it's not). BTW, that is a USB-2 drivers issue, not an HP issue.

* The fact that I have TWO DisplayPort ports AND an HDMI port and can mix & match them at any time.

* The switchable graphics, Intel on board AT YOUR OPTION if you are on battery but discreet standalone high-end Radeon graphics otherwise (disclaimer: I'd much prefer NVidia here, I've always had far fewer issues with NVidia, but so far so good).

Other cool stuff that it has built-in that I'd like to try:

* Wireless Audio for anything that is Kleernet compatible. This is a great way to do wireless headsets or even surround sound. Much clearer and less prone to transmission errors than Bluetooth.

* Intel Wireless Video. This looks great. Too bad nobody has this built into anything yet on the receiver side. LG is supposedly launching a 3D LED TV line with this feature in 2012.

Cool stuff the system has but I don't use nearly enough:

* Touchpad multi-touch. I've played with it when I think of it, but I'm not "trained" to use it. This is the standard touchpad but it is mutitouch. You can use it just like an iPad/Tablet interface to zoom out (spread fingers apart), zoom in (pinch), rotate images (multi-finger on touchpad and "twist") just as you would a tablet interface. Much more powerful than a standard mouse... but it is so hard to get used to using that thing when you have a separate mouse/keyboard like I do.

Ok, so that is all the cool stuff. Told you I love this thing. Now for the bad stuff:

- The HP Extracare warranty is somewhat pricey. I require next-day on-site support for 3 years. It is 1/3 the price of the laptop. To be fair, the equivalent Dell business laptop is still $200-$300 MORE EXPENSIVE and only has a 2-year service plan and has NOWHERE NEAR the features. The equivalent plan from Apple with a similar Macbook Pro sets you back $900 more than the HP and does NOT have on-site service but rather a 5-day guaranteed turnaround (which is why I didn't get a Macbook Pro).

- The dual sound cards drives me CRAZY. This thing is possessed. HP tried to do too much here. They have a "communications" sound port and a "standard" sound port both with minijacks on the front left of the computer. However they only have ONE microphone jack (plus the microphones built in). They also have the wireless audio channel. This all becomes a problem as most applications (gaming especially) tend to go crazy trying to figure out which audio card/channels have precedence. I've had multiple apps force the audio to full blast and then get stuck. My solution: disable ALL the audio devices except for the one standard device. My "skype compatible" communication driver is off. To be honest, I'm not sure why you need it as most apps are "communication protocol" aware and auto-adjust volume and auto-interrupt as needed.

So far that's it, only two things I don't like that much but neither are a show stopper. On the other hand there are plenty of other things I did like to offset this. For example, the call to HP dealing with customer support to get the Extra Care warranty was probably the easiest customer service experience ever (I kept asking if she did it right because it was too painless). I also had enough cash in the budget after spending so little on the high-end laptop I got myself a 27" HP monitor (sweet) and a 1TB USB3 drive which is fast as heck.

If you are looking for a power laptop, stop looking and order this thing. If you want the extended warranty go to HP and get the Extra Care option. Call them to make sure you get the right one. It is so much better than the Service Net warranty and you can even get options with on-site repair.

I highly recommend this laptop. It is the best unit we've purchased recently including those from Dell and Toshiba. Waaaayyyyy better than the Asus (complete garbage) and $4,000 Sony Vaio (nearly as bad as the Asus for twice the price).

The only system the compares is the Macbook Pro but this system is $900 less when all is said & done. Get the HP instead plus a 27" monitor or a new 48" LED TV.

I don't say this sort of thing EVER, but GREAT JOB HP!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly Capable, March 9, 2012
I absolutely love the sleek strong look of this mobile platform. The Envy 17 sure does resemble the macbook, but Don't mistaken one for the other.

The Envy 17 is its own mind and its own beast.

PRO(s):
Easily accessable 2nd hard drive slot

7690m XT (with switchable graphics to the HD 3000 CPU Graphics)

The well overly qualified 2670QM, with 6M cache and a 2.2Ghz Baseline...the thing can do some damage for a mobile platform.

7200 RPM Nominal HDD, much more reliable than a slim 5400 rpm.

USB Super Speed 3.0 slots.

Dual 1/8" Out

Bluray Drive (software preinstalled [powerdvd])

Comes with Adobe elements installed

Dedicated audio w/ a volume knob

CON(s):
12 lbs of weight ( not that bad considering its a 17.3")

Possibly the slot feed ( I for one love the slot feed, trays can be a pain)

One of the better name brand mobile platforms on the market for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank God!, November 20, 2012
I was in the market for a laptop for the longest, and was struggling with which company to go to. Many of these manufacturer's I had never heard of, so I narrowed my decision down to HP, Dell, and Apple. Since I already have a Macbook, and wanted to try out Windows 8 I decided to go with HP. What deterred me from Dell is there customer service, which destroyed my laptop in the warehouse apparently forcing me to choose another model or just get a refund. I chose the refund!
Anyway, I wanted a Full HD desktop replacement and saw the Envy line, which had the look of a macbook pro which I liked. I was kind of skeptical at first after reading so many reviews on Amazon about HP's customer service, or their quality (or lack thereof) in their laptops. To my surprise this laptop's trackpad is scrolling just fine and no overheating issues as well. The only problem I have is that if I don't use the lock trackpad feature before I start typing, my left hand will brush over the trackpad causing the cursor to move to another area. When this happens, either what I was typing ends up in another area on the screen amist other text, or a paragraph that I just entered gets deleted entirely. I realize that the trackpad is off-centered, and while I don't understand this new trend in laptops I'm able to adjust easily.

So maybe I just happened to get a great model, or HP's quality is really improving with their newer models! All I know is that I'm happy with my purchase, and that people will not have to fear getting this specific model if they find it available.

2.0 out of 5 stars Slightly overrated, April 21, 2012
The HP envy was purchased to replace my 5 year old HP G70 laptop. I was looking at another, less expensive model with slightly more HDD space and better battery time but decided to go for the extra HDD bay and lit keyboard on Envy.
The extra hard drive bay does exist but there is no rail to mount the drive in. If you have one from an old laptop than you are lucky, other than that I wouldn't even know where to buy one of those.
The laptop seems to be well made ,except on mine the touch pad is not mounted properly. One corner sticks out above the body .Minor thing, but annoying. The touchpad itself is not 100% consistent in the way it responses to touch.Vertical scrolling is replaced by two finger scrolling in the factory setting but that can be very easy changed back to standard one finger scrolling.
Blue ray drive is the slot loading type ,not really something I care about. What is weird is there's no external button to eject the cd so how does one eject a cd if there is a problem with Windows ???
I like the external volume control . It beats moving cursor around to adjust volume.The Audio is good, but it's still just laptop audio so don't expect too much.
Keyboard is to me the strongest part of this laptop. The spaces between the keys prevent a lousy typist like me from hitting the wrong key. Lit keyboard should be standard on all computers and I hope one day this will be the case.
Resolution of the screen is unreal. Be prepared to use ctrl+ a lot on your browser to enlarge text.
Boot time seems pretty fast , wake from sleep is almost instant . Programs open fast and everything seems very responsive.
That all being said, if you don't care for lit keyboard and extra hard drive bay, your money can be better spent . The name Envy would suggest that the looks of it will blow you away and it's really not so.

Edit 4-27-12
Someone mentioned before the loud fan. Well, at the beginning the fan didn't make any noise but now it's really become annoying. I understand the CPU needs extra cooling while working hard on encrypting video and such, but all I'm doing is writing this review and the fan is whining. The laptop is laid on a stiff pad so there is excellent access of air to the bottom of the laptop.
I've installed a gadget showing cpu load and there is hardly any and yet the cursor constantly locks up for a moment, scrolling does the same thing - it works when it feels like it.
After 2 weeks of ownership , I'm taking one star away from the original 3.
Honestly I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone.

Edit 5/6/12
I had no luck installing the second hard drive. Windows didn't see it, BIOS didn't see it and I gave up. On top of this the WiFi started acting up , disconnecting for no reason... I returned the darn thing and purchased dv7-6c90us.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor customer support and sales team - Meg Whitman declined to replace defective machine, July 18, 2012
This is not so much a review of the laptop but of the organisation behind the equipment. We often overlook them when things don't break but when they do service is everything. A company that doesn't follow through with promises is a company we shouldn't deal with. I don't really have the time to write all the funny things HP has said and done so here's some of what has happened.

The machine took too long from HP to ship. They charged us right away but it was 2 weeks before we got it. By the time we received it we had a few weeks left on their return policy. When we tried to return it after several failed repair attempts it was too late.

Out of the box, the machine had a problem with a backlight key. It was sent for repairs and came back with a defective Beats audio knob. They remotely tried to fix it and left another problem on the Beats button.

HERE'S WHERE I HAVE A REAL PROBLEM: At this point, the escalations team promised a replacement but after a week he said the CEO of HP declined his request - no kidding. I did tell him that I didn't believe Meg Whitman had personnaly declined to replace my machine but he insisted that the decision was made by the CEO. I asked for a refund which he said he'll do at a prorated amount but he came back with a call telling me that this was not possible as well.

This is from a machine that we have had for a little under 2 months that has spent most of its time with Fedex and at HP.

About the machine - I am real disappointed with Vista 7 Pro XP mode - it needs a funky bios 64 bit setting to be made, it is slow, hangs, and it is buggy when USB devices and host files are used. I gave up and loaded up for free VMplayer which I adore. The screen is brilliant and deserves honorable mention if it were not for the glossy finish that reflects too much background light. This machne has all the top of the line options including i7 2670QM CPU but overall I find normal office and browsing speed is about the same as my old Dell XPS M1530.

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned in 4 days, June 3, 2012
This is the first time I have felt compelled to write a review, because my purchase was such a negative experience.

I received the laptop last Wednesday. I performed all Windows updates, customized settings to my taste, and installed a lot of standard software on the first night. Standard software like Microsoft Office, Google Chrome, Google Earth, Mozilla Firefox, iTunes, etc. I pretty much spent all night doing this.

I didn't touch the laptop at all on Thursday, because I was busy with other things. Friday night, it began experiencing repeated crashes (blue screen of death). I performed suggested diagnostics to no avail. After a series of crashes and restarts, it was crashing nearly immediately after login. So I reset it to factory settings.

Saturday, I went through the same process of customizing settings and installing software. Today (Sunday), it crashed again, and now it will not boot at all. It goes through a startup repair sequence on every boot, but cannot make a successful repair. It then takes me to a HP recovery screen that offers several options, none of which are selectable (clicking on the options results in no action). I am left with the only option to reboot (and repeat the sequence) or shutdown.

So I initiated a return this morning.

On my work laptop, I run Windows 7 with all the same applications and have never had a single crash, in 2+ years. So it should not be the software I installed. I can only assume it is the HP laptop.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, April 4, 2013
excellent fulfilled my expectations are a great team with only a small detail in the display one line of pixels damaged but not cause much problem, and a small blow to one of the USB slots, but otherwise all right.