Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on April 8, 2014
I am enjoying the speed and agility of my new laptop. For those of you concerned about upgrading to Windows 8, don't be concerned. If you have used an Android phone or an Android tablet, the look and feel is very similar (although it took me a while to figure out the down arrow took me to all my programs). The laptop itself is very thin and light weight. 17inch is HUGE for a laptop, but I love the larger screen, so while it is bigger than what I use for work, it is lighter, so overall a good compromise.

The only challenge I have right now is the mouse. It works great, but I've lost the abilty to do the right/left click thing I am so very used to. I am sure there is a way around it, but until I figure it out, I am using an external mouse. Overall, a great machine and I have always had good luck with the HP machines. Recommend this for anyone looking for a solid laptop.
on April 22, 2014
I am enjoying my laptop pretty well. I switched from Mac back to PC and have noticed a few inferior details (annoyngness of Norton, certain things not pre-loaded up, etc). I don't use the Leap Motion at all, so I don't really care about that aspect. Also, the speakers, although good, are not as loud as I wish. I love that it has a numeric keypad and the backlit keyboard is great for when it's dark. Otherwise, the screen resolution is great and the weight is just what I wanted. I guess I would have been fine with a 15" monitor, but I'm not heartbroken over it.

I do however find Windows 8 to be useless and/or pretty annoying, the screen flips a lot when the cursor hovers in the top left corner. I'm going to have to turn that feature off.

UPDATE 4/29/15: I've had it for a little over a year - the AC adaptor outlet is "weird" and doesn't stay in place right anymore, I have to set it "just so" to charge. Battery life has TANKED and NOW after week of hearing a slight "rattle" I discovered the side of the laptop has split open and the hinge that holds the moniter up is broken! It has only left my house TWICE and NEVER been dropped. I paid $1000 for this! MAJOR regret. HP customer service cares SO little that they won't service it unless I extend the warrenty. They don't stand behind their brand, products, or care about the customers. I'm sorry- laptops should NOT be falling apart at 14 months! This is the LAST HP product I will EVER buy.
review image
on June 3, 2014
I use this laptop when I am traveling. Wifi works great. I use it for email and programming. Windows 8.1 is faster than older versions. Boot up is almost as fast as my IPAD.
on September 29, 2014
I'm an HP lover, and this computer feels good, looks good and I will be a loyal purchaser as long as the quality remains consistent. HOWEVER, the marriage of HP and leap motion is an absolute farce. I should have gotten a touch screen. The leap motion is a crock and doesn't work worth crap. I was trying to avoid cleaning the screen but this was a BIG MISTAKE. Don't do it....
on September 21, 2015
OS and functions are fast, smooth and easy to use. The quality of the material is very poor. BE AWARE there is a huge design flaw. The two hinges the screen are on WILL break. A small C-clamp now holds it on and it cannot be closed. Also many of the keys have broken off. I am very disappointed with the quality. On and HP said too bad Chuck you are on your own, very poor customer support (outsourced)
on January 12, 2014
This is my 2nd lad top, my 1st was a TRS-80 with a Z80. What a difference! So the only comparison I can give is comparing it to my Desk Top. Out of the box with the 5400 RPM 750 GB drive it is slower than I thought it would be. But very functional as far as Windows 8.1 can be (I'm not a 8.1 fan). I just happen to have a 960GB SSD, so I Cloned the disk that came with the lap top and replaced it with the Cloned SSD. WOW what a difference, now the lap top seems to perform the same as the Desk Top. i bought this lap top with idea of replacing the hard drive in the first place.

I bought the computer strictly on the specs. I like the 4 USB 3.0 the audio system is great for a lap top and the multi-memory card reader is good though that was not in the specs. I did notice when I had the lap top opened, that there is only 1 memory card in it with another open. So the lap top is expandable to 16GB, also not mentioned in the specs.

A note on cloneing the hard drive, I tried to use Acronis True Image software on this lap top to clone the drive using a USB to SATA adapter, it didn't work. The problem is with the BIOS it does not initialize the USB 3.0 ports when it POST's it waits for Windows to load drivers to initialize them. The software has to reboot the computer and run off of code it puts into RAM and since the BIOS does not initalize the USB Ports the software crashes because it can't find the drives. So I used my desk top to clone the drive.

Over all I think this is a great lap top but I would like it better if it came with 7200 RPM drive and Windows 7 (just my 2 cents).
33 comments|20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 18, 2015
I do like this laptop as a computing platform. From my experience so far I have a couple of minor pros/cons:

Pros:
1. 17.3" screen
2. The width allows for a nicely sized keyboard
3. The sound is pretty good (the coop with Beats was interesting, but I'm not sure that the brand actually added anything)
4. The i5 quad core is pretty spry, not the same as my 6 core desktop, but then, it isn't meant to be a work horse.

Cons:
1. Leap Motion - I really wanted this to be a pro, but it came across as a novelty and I have since disabled it. I'm sure the firmware updates (which come regularly) have helped it but it is largely infeasible as an input device... it is difficult to figure out where to place your hands and any infrared light in the room makes it unusable (I'd recommend going for a touch screen version instead)
2. Pre-installed HP Software seems to add nothing of any real value as far as I can tell
3. Reflective screen - I would have preferred a matte screen, but that is a personal con

Overall, I would recommend this as a computer if you weren't paying a premium for the leap motion and beats sound... that said, the price isn't that bad but for slightly less you can get a touchscreen version (at least it was when I purchased the laptop).
on June 19, 2014
I wasn't looking for massive features. Just a reliable portal to my desktop while working remote. The HP Envy turns out to be more than anticipated. Still not sold on Windows 8.1 yet but the computer itself is comfortable to use and the screen resolution is great. Nice value for the price.
on June 24, 2014
These were purchased for a customer and the quality for the price cannot be beaten, and the delivery was fast. right now, I think HP laptops are better than Dell.
on June 29, 2014
Great product and price is just right!