4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad laptop in a pinch
Published on November 5, 2011 by Iggy

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped Working
I purchased this laptop in Dec. 2011 and it has stopped working. The power light is on, but the screen is black. Does not boot. There are no HP service centers who will honor the warranty so it has to be sent back to HP. I'm guessing I'll be without my laptop for over two weeks. Very unhappy.
Published on February 16, 2012 by Amiga

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad laptop in a pinch, November 5, 2011
This review is from: HP 2000-350US Notebook PC - Gray (Personal Computers)
Needed a $400-laptop as a present for my grandfather-in-law. Nothing fancy, just 15" screen, keyboard, and decent speakers. I wanted to avoid AMD-powered laptops. This one seemed to fit the bill, and it works fine. It's fairly light, sub-6 lb. The screen is plenty bright, the keyboard layout is standard, mousepad is comfortable. The battery lasts a couple of hours, at least, I didn't time it. There is enough RAM for any basic office task, and the dual-core CPU is plenty fast for the same tasks.

It comes preloaded with a lot of crapware, but if you burn a set of recovery DVDs (there is HP Recovery Manager installed - but note that it only allows you to burn ONE copy - DVD, DVD-DL, or USB Flash) - you can restore the system with minimal software and drivers - which gives you just plain old Windows 7 install with drivers and minimal HP software. The laptop works just fine, and for what it is, you can't be too picky - it's a cheap plastic budget box that's not too fast, and not too flashy, but works fine. Oh, and the built-in Altec Lansing speakers are great!

Windows 7 performance score - 4.6
processor 5.9
RAM 5.9
Graphics 4.6
Gaming 5.5
Hard disk: 5.9

Only couple of design issues: the laptop lid has a very sharp edge, I can even foresee someone cutting hands on it. Also, for the same reason, the laptop lid is difficult to open.

And finally: on Amazon front page, go to Computers and Laptops, and search for 15" laptops with 4GB of RAM, under $500, with Intel Pentium CPU. At the time of writing this, there were only 7 results, and only a couple laptops for $400 - this one, and an Asus with full keyboard (normal + numeric). I liked this one better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped Working, February 16, 2012
Amiga (Sunrise, FL United States) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Only lasted a year - motherboard issues, December 7, 2012
This review is from: HP 2000-350US Notebook PC - Gray (Personal Computers)
Very disappointed. Check the internet for the MANY complaints about this model. I should have. (due diligence, caveat emptor, etc.) If you buy this product, you WILL NEED the extended service warranty. BTW, HP has discontinued this product...hmmm, wonder why?

1.0 out of 5 stars mine also stopped working, March 23, 2012
over-thinker (Preston, ID, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP 2000-350US Notebook PC - Gray (Personal Computers)
I had the same experience as another reviewer. Bought this in Dec. 2011. It worked great for 4 months then the screen went black. It turns on but nothing on the screen. They diagnosed it as a mother board problem. It has to be sent back to HP to be fixed. We needed it for a vacation that leave on in two days and now we're just out of luck. I had hoped that buying HP would be a good choice. Wrong again.

1.0 out of 5 stars HP 2000 Laptop, July 18, 2013
This review is from: HP 2000-350US Notebook PC - Gray (Personal Computers)
I got this HP for Christmas in 2012, and to start it was SLOW. I'm not a big gamer on computers, I do play Minecraft when this computer will get the speed to open a program. It comes with ALOT of pre-downloaded crap, I wiped the computers memory and the stuff stayed on and it won't come of the task bar. Over all it's not a good computer. Don't buy it at all.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, June 25, 2013
This review is from: HP 2000-350US Notebook PC - Gray (Personal Computers)
This notebook is decent at first, especially in portability, which it is an inch thick at most, but it runs fairly slow. After about 4 months my wifi driver stopped working, so I took it into a shop, and they said the circuit board had been broken. I still have to use an Ethernet cord to this day, which is about 2 years after I bought it. If you are looking for a laptop that can do more than one thing and do it fast, this is not it. DO NOT USE THIS LAPTOP AS A GAMING LAPTOP, as it overheats insanely easy, and lags anything else you try to run. Overall, I think this laptop wasn't worth the money.

1.0 out of 5 stars HP STEALS YOUR MONEY, THEN ABUSES YOU MORE, May 6, 2013
This review is from: HP 2000-350US Notebook PC - Gray (Personal Computers)
Worst consumer experience of my entire 58 years on earth.
I own 8 other computers; Mac, Dell....none of them have crashed in the 6-15 years I have owned them.
THIS BAD LAPTOP....completely stopped working (hard drive crashed/was bad) ONLY ONE MONTH AFTER I bought it at walmart.

THAT WAS just the start of the abuse by HP>

Next, they put me through the wringer.....instead of being honorable and wonderful as Nordstrom's is (where they smilingly and with GREAT concern, INSTANTLY replace the defective item, or offer to refund your money, WITH A SMILE).....this ROTTEN outfit treats you with arrogance and bossiness; makes you talk to people in India most of whom don't speak English well enough to even help at all with tech problems...

Then they make you do all the work yourself....hours and hours of frustration..Their written instructions are not clear enough to do the job ......Then, you call tech support; there you are, already being harmed by the theft of your money (since you don't have a computer despite giving HP $300 of your money)....the tech pple don't treat you with concern nor compassion.....NO,they then tell you that YOU MUST PAY THEM $49 more dollars, if you want a service person to make this BRAND NEW computer of theirs to work....

YUK, YUK, YUK. I am basically a CEO myself; but I can tell you, that I would go out of business (and die of embarassment) to put humans through this kind of torture.
HP should be folded. They are frauds. For, if they can't produce goods that actually WORK, they should be fired.

HORRRIBLE HORRRRIBLE HORRRRRIBLE EXPERIENCE.

I go out of my way to speak nicely of people, etc...But, HP takes the cake; BAD BAD BAD BAD.

And the gall; of HP, in this environment where Americans don't have jobs; the GALL OF HP TO NOT HIRE AMERICANS FOR THESE CRITICAL TECH SUPPORT JOBS...!!!

That CEO should be put into a rowboat, and shoved off shore.....for betraying the USA by not hiring Americans before hiring people abroad.

I will NEVER EVER again involve myself with HP.

DO NOT BUY THIS COMPUTER....only buy it if you enjoy being tortured, having a big company steal your money,then have it abuse you further.

WORST PURCHASE DECISION OF MY ENTIRE LIFE.

THE ONLY PERSON YOU SHOULD RECOMMEND HP TO; IS SOMEONE YOU HATE; EG IF YOU HAVE A ' WORST ENEMY'. THEN LAUGH AS THEY SUFER.

BUT IF YOU ARE NICE, DON'T EVEN STEP INTO THE WATERS WHERE HP LURKS; IT WILL NOT (!!!) MAKE YOU HAPPY.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor wireless connectivity, January 8, 2012
This review is from: HP 2000-350US Notebook PC - Gray (Personal Computers)
If you want to do anything online, I would not recommend this computer. The wireless card is substandard and browsing and/or downloading is painfully slow. I thought it was my network even though all our other computers work fine so I took it to starbuck's - same poor performance. Can't much past 0.5 mbps. Thought it was just defective so I called HP and was on the phone for over 3 hours - still no luck. I bought it back to Office Depot and they swapped it out for a new one. Still same problem. Essentially it just does not have good connectivity. Forget about youtube or video streaming, even just browsing is painful. Hopefully I can still get a refund.

4.0 out of 5 stars Poor Connectivity, July 17, 2012
This review is from: HP 2000-350US Notebook PC - Gray (Personal Computers)
This is a good laptop for the money... I run Photoshop and Word applications all at once and still keeps chugging. But it has one major flaw, poor connectivity. It will have trouble connecting for no reason, even with a great signal. Web pages time out continually. It's very frustrating. But besides that, it's a great laptop for the money.

2.0 out of 5 stars One Year Life, June 30, 2014
This review is from: HP 2000-350US Notebook PC - Gray (Personal Computers)
For the price when these first came out, it is an okay laptop. As of right now, there is only one seller selling these for $399 and on top of that, they are refurbished. I do not recommend. Your experience will be utterly disappointing. My experience was also disappointing, however, I only spent roughly $270 for a brand new one at Office Depot a couple of years ago; therefore, my experience won't be as bad as yours.

I'm giving this laptop two stars instead of one because it did last a year without problems. However, after about a year or so, the computer began to fall apart in every which way. I noticed the laptop began to overheat, which isn't a major problem because all laptops do, but then the fan began to kick in and my God, the fan is loud. So loud, when I leave my laptop to grab a snack from the kitchen, it can literally be heard from the other room. I tried compressed air and other techniques to prevent the fan from kicking in as loudly but to no avail.

When the laptop begins to become hot and overheat, it will essentially turn off randomly. It sucks because this was the computer I used for my junior and senior years of high school. I spent many nights redoing entire projects, papers, and presentations because it turned off randomly and autosave didn't autosave yet. So it was as if I was always in a storm on a desktop because I kept saving presentations and papers over and over. It really sucked but still, being a broke high school student with a disabled mother living on a fixed income, I had to stick it out and deal with it.

Over time, the mousepad began to turn pitch black in certain spots. I assume this is from my hands and fingers touching the pad but I never seen it this bad. I eventually placed a sticker over it because it looked really bad. Cosmetically, towards the back of the hinge, it began changing colors. Yes, the top of the laptop began changing colors. Embarrassing. I purchased decals to cover the flaws.

A couple of weeks ago, I was in an online poker tournament of all things and it turned off randomly. This was the last straw. I did research on light laptops (because the thing is also crazy heavy), laptops that could keep a charge, and laptops that look cosmetically good and went with the newer model of the MacBook.

I recommend spending more money on a better laptop, because you'll end up regretting it later, especially considering how it's $399 for a refurbished one.

HP 2000-350US Notebook PC - Gray