Small but mighty, the HP 2133 Mini-Note PC (model KX869AT) offers you a full-function laptop that weighs just 2.8 pounds. Designed to go where you go without weighing you down, it's perfect for young students in your home, and robust enough to handle demanding business applications for road warriors. Despite its size, it features an 8.9-inch scratch-resistant display with a WXGA resolution and a nearly full-size keyboard (92 percent). A durable all-aluminum case encompasses the top and bottom of the notebook, while an internal magnesium alloy support structure helps protect sensitive components from damage.
The HP Mini-Note features a simple, refined design and anodized aluminum shell that is sleek and sturdy yet lightweight. See a larger view of all the external ports.
The HP DuraKeys have a clear coating applied over the notebook keyboard to protect the finish and printed letters and characters.
It's powered by the VIA C7-M ULV processor, which provides a 1.2 GHz clock speed and excellent power management capabilities. Other features include a 120 GB hard disk drive, 1 GB of installed RAM (2 GB maximum), tri-mode Wi-Fi connectivity (802.11a/b/g), lightning quick Gigabit Ethernet, VGA webcam built into the screen's bezel for video chats, and up to 2.25 hours of battery life. This model comes pre-installed with the SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 operating system.
Screen, Video & Audio
- Processor: The VIA C7-M ULV (ultra-low voltage) processor has a 1.2 GHz speed, 800 MHz front-side bus (FSB) and a 128 KB L2 cache. (An L2, or secondary, cache temporarily stores data; and a larger L2 cache can help speed up your system's performance. The FSB carries data between the CPU and RAM, and a faster front-side bus will deliver better overall performance.)
Operating at an average power of less than 1W, the VIA C7-M ULV processor is the embodiment of cool processing and sets the standard for next generation low power mobile and personal electronics systems. It also features VIA PowerSaver technology that further reduces power consumption by dynamically adjusting the frequency and the voltage of the VIA C7-M ULV processor as the system requires. This innovative technology can reduce power consumption by as much as 50 percent while still ensuring seamless mobile operation.
- Hard Drive: The 120 GB hard drive (5400 RPM) offers enough to room to hold a digital audio library of over 20,000 songs and still have room left over for movies, games, and a large collection of software. This Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive also quickens the pace with a higher speed transfer of data--akin to Firewire and USB 2.0. It also includes HP's 3D DriveGuard, which sends a signal to shut down the hard drive upon sudden movement or shock by using a three-axis digital accelerometer chip.
- Memory: The 1 GB of installed RAM (1 x 1024 MB, PC2-5300) offers a top-of-class 667 MHz speed. This notebook has a maximum capacity of 2 GB of RAM.
- DVD/CD Drive: The HP 2133 Mini-Note PC does not include an integrated optical drive, but HP offers optional drives that connect to the Mini-Note using the optional HP External MultiBay II.
- Keyboard & Mouse: The spill-resistant keyboard is 92 percent of full size, 101/102-key compatible with isolated inverted-T cursor control keys, both left and right control and alt keys, 12 function keys, and hotkey combinations for audio volume, power conservation, brightness, and other features. It also features HP DuraKeys, which have a clear coating applied over the keyboard to protects the finish and printed letters and characters. The touchpad includes a scroll zone and two soft-touch buttons.
The 8.9-inch display has a 1280 x 768-pixel resolution, for native 720p high-resolution clarity, and the Mini-Note includes a VGA output for connecting to an external monitor or projector. Video is powered by the integrated Via Chrome 9 video/graphics card, and it includes an integrated high-definition audio card for crisp sound via the internal 2-watt stereo speakers.
Networking, Connectivity & Expansion
This notebook has an integrated tri-mode Intel 3945ABG wireless LAN (802.11a/b/g), with throughput up to 54 Mbps at 5 GHz (802.11a) and 2.4 GHz (802.11g). It's compatible with 802.11b/g networks (commonly found in home routers and Wi-Fi hotspots) as well as 802.11a networks (which has a higher throughput, but more limited range--great for closed office environments). You also get super-fast wired connectivity via the Gigabit Ethernet port (10/100/1000).
The Mini-Note also includes a next-generation ExpressCard 54/34 card slot (replacing the PCMCIA slot), which lets you take advantage of thinner, faster, and lighter expansion cards for even more advanced wireless, networking, storage, and security features. And it offers a Secure Digital memory card slot for downloading pictures and videos from your digital camera, or filling up a card for your MP3 player. It includes the following ports:
- 2 USB 2.0 ports for connecting a wide range of peripherals--from digital cameras to MP3 players
- 1 ExpressCard/54 slot (also supports ExpressCard/34)
- 1 Secure Digital memory card slot
- 1 headphone/line-out and 1 microphone
- 1 VGA monitor port
- 1 RJ-45 for 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet connectivity
The open source platform SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 operating system offers an easy-to-learn interface that's robust enough to handle enterprise-grade business tools. It provides a familiar graphical interface with features like application tiling that provides a snapshot of what you're using, alt-tabbing that gives thumbnail views of open applications, and a 3-D spinning cube that increases your workspace size. And the SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop OS was designed to easily coexist with other operating systems--it connects seamlessly to Microsoft Active Directory, runs Novell GroupWise and Lotus Notes, and connects to GroupWise, Lotus Domino, and Microsoft Exchange servers.
It comes with the OpenOffice suite of office applications, which enables you to open, edit and create documents, presentations, spreadsheets and databases that are compatible with Microsoft Office. Other software includes Evolution Email, Evince Document Viewer, OpenOffice Draw, F-Spot Photo Browser, Gnome CD/DVD Creator, Helix Banshee Music Player, Real Player 10 media player, Firefox web browser, Gaim Instant Messenger, Gnome FTP file transfer, and Liferea RSS feed reader.
Dimensions & Weight
This notebook measures 10.04 x 6.5 x 1.05 inches and weighs 2.8 pounds.
This model is powered by 3-cell high capacity lithium-ion rechargeable battery, which can provide up to 2.25 hours of battery life.
What's in the Box
This package contains the HP 2133 Mini-Note PC (model KR922UT), rechargeable lithium-ion battery, AC adapter, and operating instructions. It is backed by a limited warranty for parts and labor for one year from date of purchase as well as technical telephone assistance for one year. Software is also covered for 30 days from date of purchase.