5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded My Expectations
Published on February 11, 2011 by Bitwise

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Challenges for Graphics Artists.
In fairness, I just came off of an older 30 inch Dell. Some observations I hope you'll find useful:

-- Very glossy surface. If you're working with dark imagery, you'll struggle. I see my refection more than I see the imagery I'm working with.
-- Not height adjustable. I've resorted to shoving books underneath it to get it to a good view height.
--...
Published on February 23, 2011 by superactionfunboy

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded My Expectations, February 11, 2011
This review is from: HP 2711x 27-Inch LED Monitor - Black (Personal Computers)
The HP 2711x has exceeded my highest expectations. I upgraded from an HP w2207h which I'd had for a few years and was also very happy with it as well. It's still working fine on another computer now. My primary use is for the 2711x is the post processing of photos with Adobe PhotoShop CS5. The monitor is very bright and can be set between 50 to 60 % brightness and 60 and 70 % contrast without any problem and I find the color reproduction to be the best I've seen in this price range. I've found most monitor on display in local retailer set to there highest brightness settings just to achieve the same color impact I'm getting from the 2711x in the mentioned ranges on this monitor. In terms of sharpness it's fantastic the gloss type Bright View screen makes all the difference for me as most other monitors on the market are semi-gloss which I have found detracts from a good image quality when dealing with photos. I use the monitor in a private office environment which allows me control over the ambient lighting in the room so glare is not at all a problem with the bright view screen. The quality of the construction is fine and again is as good as any monitor in this price range. It's LED, it's light weight it has all the connectivity you could really need and its 27 inches. No dead pixels, No stuck pixels, It's worked just fine from the moment I took it out of the box. I'm glad I pick it up and I would recommend it to friends. Blu-Ray play back at 1080P looks great on it as well. I can't imagine anyone being unhappy with the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent monitor, February 10, 2011
This review is from: HP 2711x 27-Inch LED Monitor - Black (Personal Computers)
The monitor is really looks great and big. True that you can't swivel it much but no real need for most people.
Nice and bright with very little difference on picture color difference where you are sitting.

I was imagining a good monitor but this monitor surpassed my exception's by a good margin.

No pixel out of place, no dead pixel, graphics look clean and crisp, LED bright enough that I turned it down to 55.

I have DVI for windows 7 machine and font looks great, but I also have it set up setup through HDMI to OS X MacMini and it looks even more crisp when it comes to the font.

You will have no problems liking this monitor but be warned that its big and at first you may wonder did you really need something this big and if you could have gone with a 24 inch version. I can say without a doubt that as nice as the 24 inch is the extra size will not be a disappointment.

Base is sturdy and easy to setup but if you don't have a good solid desk it will wobble a little if you shake the desk but it will only be a little and it will not fall down. Considering how thin it is this makes sense.

HP has a winner in my eyes when it comes to this monitor.

Games look good and rich in color, movies look very good and black look well black if your doing blu-ray which I am on the PC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't even bother with the non LED 27" monitor, January 4, 2011
This review is from: HP 2711x 27-Inch LED Monitor - Black (Personal Computers)
Really quik I just wanted to come on and review this product. Although I've only had it plugged in for a couple hours, iI think I'm 100% satisfied.

No dead pixels, IT's ULTRA THIN!!! It feels like I could hold it in my lap it is so thin and light.

The AC adapter sits outside of the monitor, which I think is its only downfall. I don't particularly like the look of cords, and especially big black boxes. There is no audio jack, or at least I haven't found it.

Set up was easy, it runs cool, I think I've gotten over the need to get a 30" apple cinema display with this monitor. Beautiful!!!

This is my 6th HP minotor. I'm a huge "Bright View" fan. I like my images on the brighter side. The contrasts look excellent. Of course if you aren't a bright monitor fan then you can turn it down. It's good to have the option though. Smooth rendering of text...I plan to buy a second one soon and it's nice to know I can turn these into tv's when I've upgraded my system some day to even bigger monitors as it has an HDMI port.

update
.................................
I was a little hasty in my original review. Some thing you should know before you buy this monitor:

1. No speakers or audio at all. Kind of a bummer! I hate dealing with extra equipment.
2. No vesa mount. You will have a really hard time trying to figure out how to mount this on a wall mount. Luckiy it is really light weight and you could I suppose use some reay good double sided take (there's some really good stuff out there) to do the job.
3. Ac adapter on the outside. The kind that 4' PC cord goes into the black box, then an additional 3' power cord with plug on the end. HATE those! I like what apple did with their pc cords where the bulky part stays on the wall. I much prefer that set up. You wont have a nice tidy desk with this monitor. BOOO!!!

.............................
I still love it though. I did buy a second one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Challenges for Graphics Artists., February 23, 2011
This review is from: HP 2711x 27-Inch LED Monitor - Black (Personal Computers)

-- Very poor falloff both the high and low gamma range. At least out of the box. Some tweaking has made it workable, but not ideal for me.
-- pretty severe view angle changes. If you're less than 2 feet close to your monitor, you'll see noticeable gamma shifts left/right/up/down.

I Don't hate it though. :) It doesn't suit my needs however, and I wouldn't recommend this to fellow Artists.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bang for your buck for a 27 inch monitor., January 9, 2012
This review is from: HP 2711x 27-Inch LED Monitor - Black (Personal Computers)
If you are looking for a fantastic 27 inch monitor. Look no further. I have a 27 Apple Thunderbolt Display and a 27 inch HP 2711X for home, 27 Cinema Display and a HP 2511X for the office. Both setups in dual screen mode.

I spent $950 for the TBD, and $950 for the ACD last year. I spent $350 for the 2711X and $300 for the $2511X. I love my Apple displays, but for almost $2000 it is expensive. For less than half that I got the two HP displays. The Apple displays are not twice as good as the HP's. I don't care what anyone says. I own both, actually all four.

Every-time someone sees them. The monitor that they talk about is the HP. It makes me mad, because I spent so much on my Apple displays. The HP displays are glossy, but the 'brightview' coating they have on them works well in blocking some of the light reflection. It is glossy, but a clear glossy if that makes any sense. The Apple displays are technically better displays. But looking at them straight on, you would be hard pressed to pick a winner. The Apple displays are sturdier, made of aluminum. But the HP is made well, just not of metal.

The resolution on the HP is not as high as the Apple, but why does the HP look as good? The HP is a TN+ so the angles will suffer, the Apple IPS display has no problems here. Text is easier to read on the HP than the Apple since the TBD and ACD font is so much smaller.

The HP is a TN+ but it is one the best I have ever seen regardless of price. And I have $2000 dollar displays at the office.
You will read on here that the Apple is IPS and the HP is a TN this and that. I go by how they look.

Does it show accurate colors, is there any dead pixels? Are the black levels deep? All that and more for the HP 2711x. By contrast the same can be said for the Apple displays,almost, but the black levels are not as good as the HP's. Why that is I don't know. The ACD has some black light bleed, and the TBD has some yellowing in the corner. Not as bad as some 27 imacs, but should not be there on a $1000 display. Alot of Mac owners have this monitor. It is that good.

These are so good you have to see it for yourself. Go to best buy or whatever and see both in the store. I had no intention on buying this HP monitor. I thought it was a more expensive monitor that what is is based on the picture quality. Seeing is believing in this instance.I did and was shocked by what i saw. So was the Best Buy rep. He had a hard time picking a winner. Whenever a $400 display is compared to a $1000 display and you have a hard time telling which monitor is better, that will tell you right there that you have a winner on your hands.

There is a reason that this monitor gets five stars basically every site you go to when you look for reviews on this monitor.

Don't take peoples word for it or even mine. Go check one out before you buy, you will not be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars On Why You Would Pay 3x As Much As This, November 2, 2011
This review is from: HP 2711x 27-Inch LED Monitor - Black (Personal Computers)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had this monitor on my work desk for several months while coming home to my own 27 inch Apple Thunderbolt Display so I've come to an understanding as to why people are willing to pay so much more for a 2560x1440 IPS display than they would for a 1920x1080 LCD display, and this review is about what you are giving up when you save the money.

All 27" LCD monitors are not the same. There are monitors like this display which have the same resolution as a 1080p HDTV. These are 2.0 megapixel screens with 82 pixels per linear inch. Monitors of this class tend to be priced at around $300. Then there are displays with 2560x1440 maximum resolutions. Those displays are 3.7 megapixel screens with 109 pixels per inch, and they tend to be in the ball park of $1000. In addition, there are qualities that separate monitors like viewing angle, IPS displays like the Thunderbolt display tend to allow viewing at extreme angles, while cheaper technologies allow viewing only from straight on without severe color degradation. And finally, different monitors have different numbers of bits per pixel element, the more the bits, the less likely you will see banding across a gradient; the high end monitors might have 10 bits per subpixel, although 8 is probably sufficient for most people.

So, how does an expensive monitor, the Thunderbolt stack up against this moderately priced monitor, the HP 2711x?

The first thing you notice when bringing up a web browser is how much more content is visible and readable on the screen of the Thunderbolt. There's literally 40% more lines of text visible just in terms of vertical space, and the potential for a corresponding increase in number of words per line in the horizontal space. As a software engineer, the entire reason I buy large monitors is to see more text at the same time. Unless I had an eye defect where I needed to keep text size large, I want more text on the screen as long as it is discernible. From this point of view, a 27 inch monitor is no more valuable than a cheaper 24 inch monitor if both are 1080p.

The second thing you notice is the viewing angle. 27 inch monitors are so large that when viewed from two feet away, you can actually have viewing angle problems at any angle as there will be no place you can put your eyes where some corner or edge of the monitor will not have a different color saturation. In the case of this HP monitor, this is sort of maddening as the icons in the Windows 7 start bar are just the wrong color. Also when I stand up, or sit down I can see the colors and brightness of the monitor as a whole rapidly change as the angle changes. By contrast, the more expensive monitor seems extremely uniform, to the point I don't see any problems, which also gave me the freedom to angle the monitor to minimize room glare without killing my color accuracy.

On watching video at a distance. I'd say that this monitor does a decent job. In fact, of the various tasks I tried with it, attaching a Blu-ray player to the HDMI port and watching Thor was the most satisfying. Colors were better than good, and at a distance problems I have with viewing angles were minimized. And as a 1080p device, the output of the player did not have to be scaled. And watching a Blu-ray is something my Thunderbolt display will never do as it lacks an HDMI or DVI port, and Macs don't come with Blu-ray drives.

On feature set. This monitor is lightweight but lacks any way to mount it to the wall without jury-rigging. It has a nice auto-power feature that detects if it has any active inputs so it will turn off with your computer. There are no USB ports, or speakers and no video camera. The onscreen calibration controls are standard enough to use, although I wasn't able to dial in the contrast/brightness combination I'd have wanted with the THX calibration on an old Disney DVD I had available.

I was able to use the Windows 7 type calibration wizard to choose a reasonably crisp type rendering although I prefer the type rendering of my other monitors.

My recommendation. I don't think this class of monitor is optimal for everyday work. I used it as my programming monitor attached to my MacBook Pro for several months as my then employer didn't have an available substitute, and it was fine, but I missed my high rez monitors, and happily was able to negotiate a second Thunderbolt when I changed jobs. A 24 inch monitor will display just as much content for less money or more content for more money, with the possibility of fewer off-angle viewing issues. For example, when I needed to get my wife a monitor for her to use several hours each day, I went with a smaller yet higher resolution IPS display, the 24 inch HP ZR24w, which has a more work friendly 16:10 aspect ratio instead of the movie friendly 16:9 ratio of the 2711x. Professionals, whose time is money, might be advised to bite the bullet and move up to a 2560x1440 IPS display.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning! Incredible!, May 6, 2011
This review is from: HP 2711x 27-Inch LED Monitor - Black (Personal Computers)
Those two words describes everything about this monitor. I have been an HP fan for years. This monitor replaces the famed h2207w that is a superb monitor as well.

This LED - what a field of view! I opted for the DVI-D hook up to my computer. The computer recognized the monitor as soon as all was turned on. The ONLY adjustment I had to make was turn the brightness down a tad.

Seriously, everything is sharp, clear, and crisp. For those having issues, then try the VGA or HDMI hookups. Because, honestly...it is hard for me to believe the monitor is the problem.

Also, for those that discredit this monitor because of its stand or tilting capability, the few things that comes to mind is...do you even bother to review the specs, the images provided by HP, or even go to HP's website? It seems as if people are giving this monitor bad marks because of their shortcomings, not the monitor's.

Same for those that give bad marks because they have to elevate the entire monitor to a workable height. Seriously? Are you kidding me? Again, that lazy to review specs, look at the pictures, check out HP's website.

I give this monitor 5 stars all the way around. I give some of the reviewers zilch. Truly a shame that some would rather discuss their failures to do due diligence than to adequately (and accurately) review the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow this this is great, May 22, 2011
This review is from: HP 2711x 27-Inch LED Monitor - Black (Personal Computers)
I was looking for an affordable alternative the the Dell Ultra Sharp / Apple high end monitors. But I still wanted a large screen with very high end output. For an every day monitor, for someone who does not use this for commercial purposes, I connot fathom why you would need to move from this monitor, to a top of the line one from Dell / Apple (@ around $1200). Makes my old 24 Acer screen look bland. Great balance of price and performance. Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best 27" Monitor for the money - Hands Down., August 9, 2011
A. Watts (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP 2711x 27-Inch LED Monitor - Black (Personal Computers)
This monitor has been a godsend. I debated for a long time on which one of the standard "27 Inch Monitors for around $300" to go with. I'll be honest, at first I actually purchased the ViewSonic VX2739WM 27-Inch 1920x1080 Full HD Monitor. I was drawn in by the 1ms refresh time and all the stats/great reviews. After 3 HOURS of working with it, I can confidently say that is the worst monitor I've ever seen in my entire life. The resolution is so terrible you would think the max resolution was about 720i or 480p just stretched out over a 27" screen. It was actually the first item I've ever returned to Amazon for a refund (which they promptly did, because Amazon is fantastic like that). After that I learned my lesson: DON'T BELIEVE STATS - ACTUALLY SEE THE MONITOR IN THE FLESH BEFORE YOU BUY IT. Now highly frustrated, I went to a local high-end computer shop and checked out the HP2711x. As I initially thought, I completely loved it - I say this because I've been a fan of the HP monitors and their style since the HP w2207h 22" I bought a few years back. Now making visual confirmation, I came back home and ordered this from Amazon the same day (sorry local store).

It's been everything I thought it would be: great colors, simple setup, nice menu, great resolution, very slim, lightweight, no hassle.

It works great as a second monitor for my 17" laptop. I do graphic design, photo work, and video editing: Nothing is as great as having a big screen to lean back in your chair and do work on. Obviously, it's not an Apple Cinema display (or the NEC equivalents) that have literally TWICE the resolution - but then again, it's also not $2000! It's really apples (no pun) and oranges to compare the two types of screens.

Long story short: This is the best 27" LCD monitor on the market around the $300 price range. Hands down.

Look no further and get one (or two) of them today.

4.0 out of 5 stars tilt is not as illustrated on Amazon, April 17, 2011
eee (WESTCHESTER, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP 2711x 27-Inch LED Monitor - Black (Personal Computers)
This monitor uses much less electricity than the 2710m of last year (135 watts for the non LED 2710m versus 40 watts for this new 2711x)
It also does not have
1. No built in power supply (this 2711x has one of the power bricks for your floor)
2. no silver solid base that allowed left right and up down tilting as on the 2710M
3. no internal speakers (thin design knoocked those out)
4. no ambient light sensor to dim down the display slightly at night when brightness is not needed
5. the syling is a big step backwards; the 2710m was a work of art in mimicking the overpriced Apple 27" display; this is just plain jane and another plastic monitor in that regard

BUT
All that being said, this new LED 2711x produces a superb image and sharpness
Amazon just has to get their info correct; laziness does not count for those who update the Amazon web pages...

HP 2711x 27-Inch LED Monitor - Black