5.0 out of 5 stars Fine craftsmanship!!!
Published on March 26, 2004 by Kyron Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars Used to own one. Durable but some graphing problems.
Published on January 13, 2006 by andy in colorado

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine craftsmanship!!!, March 26, 2004
This review is from: HP 48G Graphing Calculator (Office Product)
HP calculators are built to be used by professionals. They are built to a standard of quality you seldom see anymore. Unlike calculators from other manufacturers, people who use HP calculators tend to use them for a VERY long time! I have had my HP48g for 8 years now and it still measures up to the competition. YES RPN entry is different BUT it is FAR MORE efficient to use in lengthy or repetitve computations. Unlike Casio,Sharp, and TI, there is a tremendous amount of professional grade software for scientist and engineers widely available. There are games too. The HP48g is solid and it has an IR port as well as a serial port for connection to a computer or other device. This calculator is a powerhouse! If you are a science or engineering major and you want to be serious about your trade then this has to be a device you own!

5.0 out of 5 stars HP Calc Review, December 30, 1999
This review is from: HP 48G Graphing Calculator (Office Product)
I bought a HP48S in 1993. Even though I was an extremely poor Engineering student at the time, I found it to be money well-spent. The equation solving capabilities of the HP proved to be essential in getting me through tough engineering exams. I liked the 48S so much that I recently bought the HP48GX, and it has proven to be even better than the 48S in many ways. I would recommend this calculator over any other brand on the market to an Engineering student or graduate.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best scientific calculator in the world., July 1, 1999
This review is from: HP 48G Graphing Calculator (Office Product)
Oh, sure, your class will undoubtedly be full of weenies with fancy-looking competitor calculators. They'll be using them to compute french-fry totals at their burger joints after they graduate - if they can figure out how to work them. The HP48G is the serious calculator for serious students and science/engineering professionals. Settle for nothing less than the best!
In a more serious vein, one nice thing you'll find about the HP calculators is that they have tons of third-party software written for them (including some great games!) The 48G is the latest in a line of calculators that's been around for years and years, which is how long it takes to get a good software base established. The competing calculators have no such user community. If you get the HP, you'll be able to rely on a community of people around the world to help you get the most out of your calculator, which is in many ways a pocket computer. Get the HP48G - you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't believe it's still going, June 23, 2011
JB (Midwest, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP 48G Graphing Calculator (Office Product)
This isn't so much a review on the power or performance of the 48G as it is the quality, fit/finish and bang for the buck. I can't think of a single electronic device that has been more valuable to me in my engineering career. My 48G was a highschool graduation gift in 1992 and the same calculator is sitting on my desk as I type this almost 20 years later. It still gets used daily and althought it shows a few dents in the metal (!) case it still performs flawlessly. I can't say how many times I've dropped it or spilled something across it in the past but still none of the buttons stick and the screen looks perfect. I wish I could say the same for my 2 year old HP laptop.

5.0 out of 5 stars My faithful calculating companion, April 3, 2006
This review is from: HP 48G Graphing Calculator (Office Product)
I bought mine about 10 years ago, and I still have it and use it extensively. It has seen use all through pursuing my undergraduate degree and my Ph.D., and in my current work. I have used it for calculating things related to computer graphics, statistics, data compression, and a host of other areas. It has always been up to the task. It is loaded with useful functions and does a lot. Sure, it's not as fast as a more modern one, but it's more than adequate.

5.0 out of 5 stars It will outlast you., August 4, 2008
Jeff Kraus (Orlando, FL USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: HP 48G Graphing Calculator (Office Product)
If you're looking at these reviews because you're considering one, then just get it. I bought my 48G about 16 years ago, and it shows no signs of slowing down. It's literally in the same condition it was in on the day I bought it, and I use the thing just about every day. It spent 8 years being lugged around in a backpack while I was in school, and now it sits on my desk at work.

Some of my favorite features include a huge equation library (find your equation in the list by name, plug in the values, and get the answer you're looking for), statistical charting capabilities, and uploadable programs (For example, I have a graphical Periodic Table on mine).

The manuals are pretty thorough (one user manual, one programming manual), and each one is about the size of a full-length novel.

Chances are, if you're considering this, then you're already familiar with RPN calculators (or at least familiar with stack-based operations on some level). But if you're not, it's okay. It's easy to learn and more efficient. You can also use it normally (infix style) by placing everything in single quotes, like this:

'7+3*5'

And with one button press, it will evaluate the expression for you, heeding all rules of precedence. While I don't recommend using this as a crutch, it can at least ease the transition from a standard infix calc. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't go through college without one., July 1, 1999
This review is from: HP 48G Graphing Calculator (Office Product)
I could talk for hours about how important this calculator was in getting me through college. (Well, OK, it was an earlier model, but I've recently upgraded to the 48G). Where to begin? The RPN stack, which someone can show you how to use in less than a minute, becomes so important that you can't imagine using a calculator without one. The keys are laid out conveniently, the batteries seem to last forever (years, anyway), and the interface is very well-thought-out.
But that's only the beginning. The calculator is programmable. I actually learned how to program on an HP28S (a very early version of the 48G series, basically), and it served as a springboard that eventually led to a career in computer science. It might sound trite, but it's the truth - and I know other people who got started programming the same way.
The infrared port, which might seem useless to you at first glance, is actually a great way to share data with other HP calculator owners. You can pass programs and notes back and forth, and even play multi-player games, literally with the press of a button.
I'm running out of room here, but I think you can see why I could go on for hours about this calculator, which for many engineers is almost a way of life. I'm a loyal HP-calculator fan for life.

3.0 out of 5 stars Used to own one. Durable but some graphing problems., January 13, 2006
This review is from: HP 48G Graphing Calculator (Office Product)
The good thing about the 48 and other HP's I've owned is that when I have broken them they were actually stolen or lost. I can't say that about the TI-86 or TI-83's I've owned and paid a considerable amount for. HP's seem to be made to last; I hope that hasn't changed. The weakness on the HP48G that I owned during the 90's when graphing calculators came out is that the graphing functions were not as well designed nor worked as well as the TI's. They seem to have improved the latest models so they act a lot more like the TI's. It's something to consider if you are buying an HP graphing calculator from the mid 90's when I purchased and then lost one.

The early HP's were absolutely terrific and once you get RPN ,something that most competent math/engineering/science students should be able to master, it is the best way to write equations. It actually makes it easier and faster.

5.0 out of 5 stars The absolute best..., August 29, 1999
This review is from: HP 48G Graphing Calculator (Office Product)
I went through four years of college with the 48G. It never failed me. I used nearly all of the functions the folks at HP built into it for my classes. It takes a little getting used to, but once you master it, you'll be able to perform complex calculations very quickly. In addition, nobody makes a more durable calculator. I must have dropped mine a hundred times and it still works like new. If you're looking for a scientific calculator, look no further than the 48G.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't imagine being without it, January 27, 2003
This review is from: HP 48G Graphing Calculator (Office Product)
I've had this calculator for 7 years now and am very satisfied. Once you get used to the stack system of inputting, you wonder how you ever did without it. I'd recommend it to anyone entering the engineering field, either school level or professional.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›