Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: HP 940 Black Original Ink Cartridge (C4902AN)
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Color: Black|Change

on October 30, 2013
Arrived in foil packages. No box. That's OK.

3 colors, 3 foil packages.

But, the expiration date is on the box. No box, no printed expiration date.

However, each foil pouch has a date code. Format is YYMMDD. One package code is 090619. This is June 19, 2009. This is the manufacturing date. If the color life span is the same as my black ink, which arrived in a box (from a different vendor), with the expiration date on the box, the expiration date is 2 years and 6 months after manufacture (one web site said 2 years). That means the cartridge at best expired in Dec 2011. The ink might still be usable, but I am not going to open it and install it. I would have to override the expired cartridge notice on my printer, which I am not going to do. The ink ages, even in its foil pouch. There is air in there. Old ink clogs print heads. It may start out OK, but is much more likely to clog before it's used up than fresh ink.

All three are past expiration. I expected genuine HP cartridges with many months before expiration. Reselling cartridges that are out of date by removing the box and hoping no one figures out how to read the date code on the foil pack is not OK. Unless the buyer is forewarned in the product description that it is likely some or all of the cartridges will be past their expiration date.

This was a scam.
22 comments|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2013
...the printhead comes with a warranty and expiration date. The new printhead I received and installed on 24 September 2013 had a warranty expiration date of 8 January 2013. That is an problem because the printhead cost ($58) is about 20% of the original cost of the printer. The advertising for the product does not reveal this characteristic nor identify that the new item warranty is expired.
By comparison when I purchased the HP printer in Feb 2010, the original printheads had warranty expiration dates of 19 Nov 2011. The one of two original printheads that failed lasted until mid-Sep 2013, or 22 months after its warranty expiration.

I informed Amazon about the problem and am awaiting a response.
There's nothing wrong with this cartridge, compatible with the HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 printers. Except that it's rated for only 1000 pages. For only a little more you can get the HP 940XL Officejet Black Ink Cartridge (C4906AN) which is rated for 2200 pages.

The 1000 page rating is based on HP's testing methodology meaning that it's highly unlikely that you will get 1000 pages out of your cartridge. If you make copies, if you print photos, if you use the high quality settings you are going to run out of ink much sooner but the fact remains that you do get a lot more ink in this cartridge than in the 'regular' one.

HP claims (couldn't verify) that using Officejet inks on papers with the ColorLok logo the output will retain color quality 'for decades'. Such an ink/paper combination, according to HP, will produce documents that resist water and fading.

Which one to order? At the time I wrote this review I got more value by far with the larger cartridge.
on May 23, 2011
This product was pictured in an original HP Box. No box was received. I thought I was buying a new HP Cartridge. I received a refill.
on September 16, 2012
Wasted a bunch of ink trying to "clean" uncleanable printheads. It was either new heads or trash a $400 HP OfficeJet 8500. I think the heads got gummy when we used the printer during a summer heatwave where temperatures routinely hit 95 degrees farenheit in Michigan. Undoubtedly this is "out of spec" for the printers.

Installation took 30 seconds once I figured out how to make the printheads appear (they are nowhere near the ink carts by the way).

It is confusing that there is one pack for each pair of heads M/C and Y/K. Just buy both sets of printheads at the same time. Unless you are a black-print-only kind of person.
on November 6, 2010
The printer screen displayed a message stating "there is a problem with the printhead: cyan/magenta." None of the HP troubleshooting tips helped, so I ordered this replacement. It was $15 less than the one on the HP website, it arrived two days early, installation was easy, and it worked on the first try.
on September 5, 2011
The product works as intended and as always, Amazon offers excellent service. The only issue I really have is that HP printers tend to be very wasteful of ink in order to get you to buy more ink. It seems that the company makes most of their money off selling ink as opposed to the printers themselves.
on September 26, 2010
Our printer was leaving streaks in anything with color and just kept getting worse. We thought it was the ink at first but we found out the heads could be changed. We bought new heads and the printer is back to normal again!
on March 12, 2013
My HP 8500 Plus suddenly stopped printed blue. After troubleshooting, HP said everything as fine, including the printheads, but it wasn't. I gambled, as the price was much better than from HP, and sure enough that was the problem. Now the printer works great again.
on December 31, 2012
i was expecting to receive the printhead in a box displayed on the Amazon... but what i got was the cartridge itself in a clear plastic bag in an brown envelop - very little protection. it definitely NOT a retail version of the product but it works (and does not seem to be used). i suspect it may be refurbished but have no evident of it.

There is nothing wrong with the product but there should be full disclosure and we should get what was shown when we purchase.