Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Learn more

Color: Tri-color|Change

on March 21, 2009
It came with my HP printer and I was shocked by how quickly it ran out. I have never had an ink jet cartridge run out so quickly. Cough up the extra money for the HP 901XL and save in the long run.
77 comments|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 1, 2009
I don't print very much and this cartridge only lasts a couple months.
What a rip off.
HP says 200 Pages, there is no way I printed 100 on economical setting
11 comment|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 14, 2010
I was extremely upset to find that the order did not come in the "retail" packaging as was shown on Amazon.com when I placed the order. I thought maybe it was taken out of the package to minimize shipping costs, however, when I placed the ink cartridge in my HP printer, it identified the cartidge as not an HP original product.
I have an "HP Officejet J4580 All-In-One" device. It was only a little over a hundred dollars, so I knew ink would be expensive, especially from using previous HP models. I don't use it a great deal, but after about 250 pages, it ran out of color ink. Actually, that doesn't bother me, although I have read that most printers will have ink that lasts longer. The secret to this ink from HP is to buy through Amazon from `used' or `refurbished' sellers. You can save nearly 50% on costs and some give you free shipping. That's what I ended up doing. It looks exactly like a brand new cartridge. I would recommend that if you want quality color photographs, you will need to buy a high quality (and more expensive) printer. This HP does not do well in reproduction, but for letters and ordinary flyers, its fine.
on June 12, 2009
My best estimate is that I have printed about 40 pages, in efficiency mode, and my HP 901 black cartridge is almost empty. Also, by the way, the software that comes with the HP J4680 Officejet printer is, essentially, unusable. I am not able to scan at all, for about eight different reasons. It's not just that it's hard to use -- It friggin' doensn't even work! I've just purchased Adobe Photoshop Elements in the hopes that I will be able to scan with it.

I will NEVER buy another HP product.
66 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 8, 2009
This seems to be a second or a refil cartridge. It almost ruined my printer and caused me hours of grief. Computer tech verified it was bad and my friend order one and had the same out come. Not sure, like I said, if these are seconds or refilled but they are junk and I WOULD NOT BUY!
on December 27, 2010
There is almost nothing positive about this ink cartridge. Deceptively cheap, these ink cartridges run empty in less than 100 pages (sometimes I think it is more like 60). The manufacturer recommends using the draft mode to maximize the amount of pages you can print, but this seemed a crass response to such a poorly designed product. Why should I print in draft mode to print 100 pages or less? There is also no gradual let down when the ink runs out- it stops printing immediately, even half way through your page.

Unfortunately, I am stuck with a new printer that uses these cartridges and I have to deal. Even at $15 a cartridge, this printer ends up costing more money than my previous printer, which used cartridges that averaged between $40-50. I have to buy around 6-7 of these cartridges to make it through the year, when I previously used to buy just 1. You do the math.

This is a terrible new direction for HP, as I once saw their products as top of the line. If you are in the market for a new printer, please stay away from HP.
on October 3, 2010
Not only does this ink not last very long, but at 15 cents a page I might as well go to the public library.

I remember the days when HP printers used to mean quality, but $28 cartridges were specifically designed to run the consumer dry and keep a steady stream of profits flowing in. What is really happening in my eyes is a growing distrust and anger towards HP products. You might as well buy a brand new HP printer every time considering that it cost the same amount of money as buying both a new black cartridge and color cartridge.

Also notice that HP has no made these cartridges single use so that you cannot save any cash by filling them with more ink. Talk about trying to kill the environment.

My suggestion is to switch over to one of the low cost ink Kodak systems. My friend who has one has already saved enough money by buying the more expensive printer and using cheaper ink.
on August 27, 2010
Short and sweet... Not sure but I think some of the folks who are having issues with cartridge longevity might have their print jobs set to high/ultra high quality. Naturally, this will use up a cartridge sooner. I have used the 901 and 901XL. I am a returning-adult student and write a boat-load of papers, not to mention printing off huge articles and school forms, etc. I find that I get very acceptable printing jobs done on fast/economy draft and the cartridges last quite reasonably. From a cost perspective, they are about mid-range. I shop for them online (Amazon) because they are cheaper than a box store and I have a little more faith that I won't get burned ordering from a reputable company.
on October 9, 2009
This cartridge is supposed to print about 360 pages, but it only printed 252 pages. I know this because I called in to complain that the cartridges weren't lasting as long in my new printer as they lasted in the old printer, and the customer service rep told me to keep track of the pages, so they could determine if I just had a defective cartidge or if there was a real problem. I'd call 100 pages less than advertised a real problem.