5.0 out of 5 stars Our Second Chromebook
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:48 Mins
HP's Chromebook 11 is my second Chromebook because, after one year with Samsung's Chromebook I came to realize that not only a Chromebook does almost everything a laptop or a PC or a tablet would do for me but it does it cheaper, usually faster and better, almost always worry-free and very much in style...
Published 14 months ago by A. Dent

3.0 out of 5 stars The next generation of Chromebooks - A complete review
Published 14 months ago by Cenile D. Mentia

5.0 out of 5 stars Our Second Chromebook, October 14, 2013
Length:: 0:48 Mins

_____________________________________________________

UPDATE (Oct 26, 2014): I placed the HP Chromebook 11 next to the new Acer Chromebook 13 CB5-311-T1UU (13.3-inch Full HD, NVIDIA Tegra K1, 4GB) as I was reviewing it. My goal was to compare looks and display quality and HP's incredible near-180-degree viewing angle and bright picture still outshines that of a newer, more expensive machine with a 1080p display. I thought I'd share this. The HP is the smaller Chromebook, the one on the left.
_____________________________________________________

UPDATE (Dec 26, 2013): I am glad to see HP's 11-inch Chromebook available again. We've been using ours all throughout the charger 'crisis' and we are as happy with it today if not happier than we were on 'day one'. More than two months later, HP's Chromebook 11 continues to be a beautiful little device with a great display that continues to do most of what I require during my off-work hours. It traveled with me on my vacation and will travel with me again and it's there (on couch or on my bedside table) when I need it.

WHY A CHROMEBOOK?

There's so much to say here but let me make a quick summary. And never forget that we are talking about an 'under 300' device here because, yes, anything that costs 3-4-5 times as much should do better most of the time.

˕ My Chromebook is my most used computer excluding work hours and by 'computer' I mean PCs, laptops and tablets.
˕ Malware, spyware, adware-free. Since nothing is really 'installed' on the Chromebook, I can't see how one would ever be infected. I am now using my Chromebook to open suspicious emails or click on dubious URLs that I don't dare touch from a laptop.
˕ Extremely safe OS. I don't know if this is common knowledge but Google is constantly challenging hackers to crack their OS. As far as I know, Chromium wasn't cracked yet.
˕ Easy to share among any number of users without any concerns of compromising privacy. If you have a Google account, you simply sign in and you are going to be within your own, personal environment.
˕ Constantly updated and upgraded. Google updates Chromium every few weeks and I found my Chromebook actually getting better all the time rather than slowly fall into obsolescence. HP's Chromebook will not replace Samsung's, it will be used by another family member who really, really wanted one after watching my happy relationship with our first one.
˕ Nearly maintenance free. Whenever I don't use a tablet or even a laptop for a while, they tend to get very busy for a while once I turn them back on. Tablets, especially, are almost impossible to use until all those dozens of updates/upgrades process. Not the case for Chromebooks. Whatever upgrades may take place don't hit my Chromebook. Whenever I call up an app, I get it in its latest version.
˕ The attached keyboard helps a lot. Yes, you can pair a keyboard and even a mouse to a tablet but the Chromebook's keyboard is always there, it negates the need of a stand or even some protecting case.
˕ Chromium is streamlined and efficiently focused where it matters, on the everyday uses most of us need a 'computer' most of the time.
˕ Chromium being such a streamlined OS, browsing and running apps on a Chromebook is in fact faster than off a PC/laptop/tablet of equivalent specs.
˕ Relatively low prince, 11.6" display and light weight seem to be just about right for something that typically you'd be using to browse the Web while watching TV or take to and from school.

WHY NOT A CHROMEBOOK?

Yes, Chromebooks can't do everything. Google's productivity suites notwithstanding, they are mainly and they are best at media consumption rather than production. Nobody should buy a Chromebook and expect to be able to edit video or perform some heavy word processing or do some hard-core gaming. There are other machines and devices for such tasks. My experience is that a Chromebook can't do 'everything'. Tablets are more portable, PCs and laptops are more powerful but, to me, my Chromebook is the most fun to use and it's likely to stay this way. I am not going to call it my 'second' or 'third' or 'first' computer but, objectively, it's the one most use outside business hours if what we measure is 'hours'.

HP's CHROMEBOOK 11

I haven't spent a lot of time with HP's but, from the start, it was a very familiar feeling. HPs is not 'exactly like' Samsung's but it's easily recognizable as a Chromebook.

Here are some changes:

˕ USB-based charging. This is a BIG thing. The biggest negative in the case of Samsung's Chromebook was the proprietary charger. HP's USB-based charging allows the use of most off-the-shelf chargers so there's a lot less to worry.
˕ Better quality display. When compared to Samsung's the colors are sharper and brighter and you can view the screen from almost any angle left/right or up/down.
˕ Nicer keyboard. It's the same layout but the keys seem to have a little more travel. As a touch typist I am comfortable with both but, on a blind test, I would probably pick HP's over Samsung's.
˕ Somewhat more stylish design. I got the black model and I like both the color and the color accents. Some prefer 'silver' but they are both Okay as far as I can tell.
˕ Fewer ports. There are no USB 3.0 or HDMI ports on the HP's even though my understanding is that you can, in fact output HDMI through the Micro USB. This may be a big deal for some and they should get Samsung's if that's the case. Speaking for myself, I never felt a need to output HDMI off my Chromebook, ever. Same for USB data transfers.

Overall, I am very pleased with HPs device. The lack of USB 3.0 and HDMI ports amount to a big 'nothing' to me and their absence is balanced and surpassed by the non-proprietary charging method, much nicer display and better keyboard.

RATING

I am not going to compare HP's Chromebook with the Pixel or some top of the line laptop. I noticed that many 'pro' reviewers are complaining because Chromebooks and this particular one are not 'high end' and aren't as nice as the Pixel and such. Well... did anyone check the prices? So, yes, let me make a 'duh' statement: this Chromebook is not as good as devices that sell for 3 times or 4 times as much so anyone who doesn't mind paying more should pay more and get one of those. Even though... look at some reasons above for why one my prefer a Chromebook to a laptop or a tablet, regardless of price.

HPs is a five-star to me because it's at least as good and in some way better than my now one year old, often used and much trusted Samsung. The thirty dollars price difference between the two can be justified by HP's supporting USB charging, its much nicer display and its marginally better keyboard. As far as performance, they both appear to be up to the task and they both played Netflix movies flawlessly over Wi-Fi and cast them to the big TV through Chromecast (no need of an HDMI cable for that) - I mention it because I just tried that.

Chromebooks are not for everyone and they are not a universal computing device but, if used for what they are meant to be used, they are as good and as revolutionary as tablets.

CHROMEBOOK vs. CHROMEBOOK (HPs vs. Acer C720

I had the opportunity to play with Acer's Chromebook for a day and was therefore able to compare them side by side.

- Advantage HP -

˕ Looks and design. HPs looks much better in my view, you have color choices and that's that.
˕ Display. Same size, same resolution but HPs display is brighter, sharper and, most importantly, can be viewed from almost any angle. Not the case with Acer's.
˕ Charging. The ability to charge HPs Chromebook through almost any USB charger is very important to me. Acer's charger is proprietary.

- Advantage Acer -

˕ Horsepower. Acer's appears to be faster and it should be given its faster processor.
˕ Ports. You get HDMI out, USB 3.0 and SD card slot, all of them missing on HP's machine.
˕ Price. At least at launch, Acer's was selling for less.

I would say it's a tie when it comes to the keyboard and track pad's feel.

Acer's machine has the advantage if you are more 'productivity oriented' and need expansion capabilities (ports) and more raw CPU power. You would prefer the HP if you want a Chromebook mainly for fun and casual activities where looks, the availability of a charger and, very importantly, the quality of the display count more.

NOTES:

- Like most Chromebooks, this one too comes with a free 100GB in Google's cloud for two years. I didn't take advantage of that offer and I'm not going to go for this one, simply because I have no use of 'cloud' storage that goes beyond Gmail at this time.
- While Chromebooks are immune to viruses and other forms of malware, you are as tracked and 'monetized' while on a Chromebook as you are when browsing from your laptop or tablet or phone. However, there are ways to disrupt and confuse the trackers and my two favorite extensions these days are Disconnect Search (or Disconnect.me) that makes it impossible for Google to log your search activities and DoNotTrackMe which does what the name implies. Worth trying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Designed, Google at its best., October 14, 2013
This review is from: HP Chromebook 11-1101 (White/Blue) (Personal Computers)
First of all, I believe that words can't express how satisfied I am with my new HP Chromebook. It is super thin and light and extremely beautiful. It is so practical that I can charge this laptop with the same charger of my smartphone and the other way around. This is the best laptop on the go.

The screen is very sharp, bright and high quality. Keyboard feels great when typing, speakers sound comes from the keyboard which makes this Chromebook completely sealed. There's no holes, moving parts, or anything that makes any noise.

Chrome OS has had a lot of improvements since last year. There a lot of offline apps, better notifications and a lot of awesome extensions. Free Google Drive 100Gb is still awesome.

I want to acknowledge that this is not a high performance laptop and is not suitable for high demanding 3D gamers. But for the price you will be fully satisfied because obviously this Chromebook has a really affordable price and is very pretty and performs almost all the task a regular computer does(and some extras that traditional computers doesn't).

One thing worth mention that this computer excels is Sound. Speakers are very rich, precise, loud and clear. Music lovers will enjoy the clarity of the music. You can really enjoy watching a movie due to the richness of the image and the quality of the sound...

I love this Chromebook because it just do the job well done!

Any questions please feel free to ask it in the comments below section...

3.0 out of 5 stars The next generation of Chromebooks - A complete review, October 14, 2013
This review is from: HP Chromebook 11-1101 (White/Blue) (Personal Computers)
==UPDATE 12/26/13== Well, the HP Chromebook is back on the shelves after the whole issue with the chargers overheating. After a couple months with this Chromebook and the other model, I still say the Acer Chromebook is a better value--but for those who don't multitask as often and just prefer a well designed laptop for a low price (it does look good!), this is probably the best model for you.

This is getting to be a long review, so I've split it up into multiple sections. Feel free to jump to the section which you think will help you the most.

==CONTENTS==

1) Upgrades from last year
2) Alternative models
3) First impressions
4) Conclusion
5) Summary

I'll be updating this review as I use the Chromebook more often as well, so check back once in a while! As always, feel free to ask questions in the comments section, and I'll be happy to answer them.

==UPGRADES FROM LAST YEAR==

In 2012, with the Samsung Chromebook becoming the #1 best selling laptop on Amazon, it seemed like there was hope after all for the Chromebooks. It was something that not many people expected, but the thin, silent design, combined with a decent battery life and a low price point managed to attract enough people to give Chromebooks a chance.

One year later, the time has come for its successor--the HP Chromebook 11. Is it a worthy successor? This review will take a closer look at what changed over the last year as well as explore some of the alternative options.

Let's start with the hardware. The design of this Chromebook is completely different compared to Samsung's model from last year. This is partially because it's made by HP, but also because Google teamed up with HP to design this new Chromebook. There's two color choices now, black and white. If you pick the white version, you also have the option to add Google-colored accents to the edges of the keyboard, while the black version is more understated, with an all black finish. Whether you like the new design or not is subjective, but it does retain the thinness (.69 inches) and is actually .1 pounds lighter than the previous Samsung model. There's also a new LED light bar on the back, similar to the Pixel. It lights up with the Google colors when it's on, and it looks pretty nice. Personally, I think it's a well designed laptop. It's simple, lightweight, and the unsightly bump from last year's model is gone.

The keyboard and touchpad are still extremely good. It's comfortable to type on, and overall has a much sturdier feel due to a new magnesium frame that they put in to support the plastic shell. There were some complaints about the Samsung model from last year regarding how flimsy it felt and how easy it was to bend it, and they definitely improved it here. Also, they've moved the speakers to underneath the keyboard, similar to how Apple does it. This way, the speakers do not get muffled when you put the notebook on your laps. Speaker quality is actually pretty decent for a sub-$300 laptop, but headphones are still going to be the obvious first choice for audiophiles.

Another major improvement is the screen. Google's making a big deal about the brightness of the new screen, but it truly is better than last year's model. Though it retains the same 1366x768 resolution (which is fine for a 11 inch laptop), the viewing angles and the contrast is much better. It is a glossy screen though, so unless you absolutely loved the more matte feel of last year's model, then the screen's also a big improvement.

The best hardware improvement for me personally is the new power port. It's now charged through a Micro USB cable, a cable that's currently used to charge most Android phones as well as the Amazon Kindles. As someone who travels a lot, this would mean just packing one cable to charge all my devices, something that I think adds a lot of convenience. Another advantage is that the abundance of Micro USB cables makes it easy to find a replacement should you ever lose it(you probably have one lying around in your house!). Note that it does charge slower if you use another cable: the one that comes with this Chromebook has been optimized for it. With that being said, the HP Chromebook 11 does lose the HDMI port found in the previous model, but it's still possible to connect it to your TV. To do so, you'd have to buy a Slimport adapter and then connect the HDMI cable from there. It's not a big hassle, but it's still something worth mentioning.

All of these changes mentioned above have been mostly good and welcomed improvements to last year's model, but perhaps it's the parts that haven't changed which are the most disappointing. Unfortunately, Google has decided to not upgrade any of the internal aspects of the Chromebook, so it still retains the same ARM based processor found last year's model, the 16GB of flash storage, and the 2GB of RAM. Battery life remains more or less the same as well, at around 6 hours. Considering the brisk pace technology moves at, I think it's hugely disappointing that Google is still using last year's chips, and it's the one major flaw with this Chromebook. One of the biggest changes in technology this year was the introduction of Intel's 4th generation Haswell processors, giving solid processing power while drastically increasing power efficiency. The new Macbooks are using it, and some of the new Chromebooks are too, increasing their battery life to around 9 hours per charge. One might argue that Chromebooks don't require much processing power, but with websites and web apps becoming more advanced every day, I think it's disappointing that none of the internal hardware was upgraded. Note that overall performance isn't bad, but it's not great either. It's the exact same as last year's model - most websites I tried run smoothly, but some of the more graphically heavy websites stutter when you're trying to scroll. HD video playback is relatively steady, but if you have too many tabs open, the quality suffers. For the pages most people visit, like Facebook, Youtube, Gmail, etc., I thought this Chromebook handled it pretty well as long as I didn't have too many tabs open.

In regards to the software, this is still running Chrome OS, and if you used any of the Chromebooks before, you'd be familiar with it's capabilities and limitations. There's no real changes here, since all Chromebooks are continuously updated with the most recent version of Chrome OS, but for those looking at the Chromebooks for the first time, here's a little rundown on how the Chrome operating system works. At its core, it's the Chrome web browser, and only the Chrome web browser. Though the pictures in the advertisements shows a desktop and wallpaper, don't be fooled: it's not a traditional PC. Therefore, if you use programs like Microsoft Office, Photoshop, iTunes, etc., know that you won't be able to use any of those programs on a Chromebook. However, there are substitutes for most of those programs online, such as Google Docs, Picasa, Google Music, etc. The advantage of having such a simple system is speed: it boots up in less than 10 seconds, and you're instantly connected to the web (provided you have Wi-Fi). Therefore, if most of what you do on a computer is browse the web anyways (Facebook, E-mail, Youtube, etc.), then a Chromebook allows you to do all of that very quickly.

Overall, this Chromebook is definitely an improvement over last year's Samsung model, but the lack of internal changes makes it really hard to recommend if you're looking to upgrade from the Samsung model. For people looking into Chromebooks for the first time, I'd say that this isn't a bad model - it's relatively cheap at $279, it's well designed, and it's overall performance is still solid. For people looking for a "cute" second computer, I do think this is a great model. However, I'd still recommend giving the other models announced this year a look (see below).

==ALTERNATIVE MODELS==

Even though this is Google's new flagship Chromebook - the one they're promoting as the Chromebook "for everyone", there are other options coming out.

Acer's C720 Chromebook (Acer C720 Chromebook (11.6-Inch, Haswell micro-architecture, 4GB))
I've been using this model for the last couple days and I must say I prefer this model over the Hp model. It's just so much zippier: websites load faster, scrolling is more responsive, and it handles multiple tabs better. It also has better battery life and more input/output ports. Sure the screen isn't as good, but it's not terrible either. Unless you really desire an attention-catching device, I'd recommend the Acer Chromebook over this model. I've written a full review for the Acer, so feel free to read it for a closer look.

HP's Chromebook 14 (HP Chromebook 14 (Snow White))
HP announced this as an update to last year's 14 inch model, which was moderately successful. They've completely redesigned it, and I think it looks much more elegant. It'll come in multiple colors for $299. It'll also include the new Haswell processors, giving it a 9-hour battery life. I think this is a great model for those who want a larger screen and do not mind the increased weight.

Additional notes:
Google also packages this Chromebook 11 with some extra perks, including 12 sessions of GoGo In-flight Wi-Fi, as well as 100GB of Google Drive storage for 2 years. If you are a frequent flyer, those 12 sessions alone makes the Chromebook pretty cost-efficient. I'm not certain if the other Chromebook models include the GoGo WiFi, but they all include the Google Drive storage. Also something worth mentioning is that this HP Chromebook 11 model is fanless due to its processor, so it's absolutely silent. The other models do have fans, but in my opinion, the sound difference is negligible.

==FIRST IMPRESSIONS==

When I first heard about this Chromebook, I was pretty excited. I looked at a bunch of pictures, saw the price tag, and I thought to myself, "Now here's the Chromebook I've been waiting for". Prior to this, I've used the Samsung Chromebook S3 as well as the original CR-48 Chromebook test model, mainly for taking notes in class. After opening the box and turning it on for the first time, I was ecstatic, because to be honest, this screen looked great, especially compared to the older models. The Chromebook in general looked great. I loved the color bar in the back, the clean design, and the keyboard. It was light and portable, and it looked very...attractive (as attractive as a computer can be I suppose). Setting it up was easy as well: you connect to your Wi-Fi, enter in your Google credentials, and then it syncs with your Google account, and all your bookmarks and apps are automatically transferred over. Anyone who's used a Chromebook before would be used to this.

Bringing it to class was also a pleasure. It fits into one of my smaller bags, and it was light enough to be comfortable to carry. I thought the keyboard and trackpad were pretty awesome - they remind me of the Apple's keyboard, and I think that's a pretty high compliment. I'm a fast touch typist, and I was able to maintain my normal WPM with few errors while taking notes. Midway through the day though, I was working on a research project and had a bunch of tabs open and the Chromebook began to feel a bit slow: pages were loading slower and the scrolling wasn't as smooth. I attribute to the fact that Google decided to use last year's chips as I mentioned in the section above, as this was something that would happen with the Samsung model as well. This was frustrating for me, because I thought surely by now, Chrome would run smoothly on Chrome OS. This is the sole reason I'm giving this model 3 stars.

I got around 5.5 hours of battery life, so that's a bit less than advertised. Nevertheless, I did find the charging cable useful, and I was able to use it to charge both my phone and the computer.

==CONCLUSION==

With this year's updates, I'm sure Chromebooks will continue to be a rising star. This model, looks especially good. It's one of the best looking laptops that I've seen at this price point, and really raises the bar for low-end Chromebooks. However, if looks aren't everything for you, some of the other models equipped with the Haswell processors are especially worth looking into. While this HP Chromebook 11 is well designed - the screen is great, the speakers are decent, the keyboard is great - I'm slightly concerned about it's performance.When someone buys a laptop, they expect it to last them at least a couple of years, and I'm not sure how long a computer with a chip from the previous generation will be able to keep up.

==SUMMARY==
The Good:
- Great screen
- Great keyboard
- Great sound for a sub-$300 laptop
- Overall design is eye catching

The Bad:
- The processor is outdated, leading to sluggish performance at times
- Cannot be taken apart, parts are hard to replace (Cannot increase RAM for example)
- Less ports compared to previous generations
- Battery life is good compared to last year's models, but only mediocre compared to this year's models.

Overall:
The HP Chromebook 11, with its solid keyboard and fantastic screen, allows you to get some serious work done -- and look good while doing it. If you can deal with a mediocre processor and battery life (and of course, Chrome OS), this is a great model. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

Score: 3.5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect..., October 25, 2013
Deron Dantzler (Columbia, SC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP Chromebook 11-1101 (White/Blue) (Personal Computers)
I am an IT professional (web/application developer), and I must say that I love this new Chromebook. I purchased a Samsung 11 inch Chromebook 4 months ago and have been using it as my primary home machine ever since. The Samsung was great, but the screen was the Achilles heel. I can say that this screen is the same approximate quality of an 11 inch MacBook Air. I can't make out an advantage between the two screens. That is awesome for this price. The design is perfect, and the speakers sound great for a small laptop.

It's my opinion that tablets are great for surfing the Internet and reading, but even though you may add a keyboard they are basically useless for productivity. Multi-tasking is the downfall for those devices and it really needs to get sorted out. The Chromebook is more like a tablet in a laptop disguise, and "multi-tasks" well. Of course it's running one core application (Chrome), but you can use multiple windows, etc. That's very helpful when copying and pasting content, and using productivity applications. For the general public that likes to surf the net, work with documents, write e-mails, etc. this is a highly recommended machine. Work can be done on the device. I also teach college courses both online and brick and mortar, and this device has been my go-to machine for grading, interacting with students, etc. That goes to show the power of the device for the typical office user. It works for advanced users like me if you take it for what it is... A damn quality piece of hardware for the price that offers a far more robust productivity experience than any competitively priced tablet.

If your curious, my usage pattern for technology has now evolved to: Smartphone, Small tablet, Chromebook. No need for a large tablet. Small tablet is primarily for bed and couch surfing and using as an e-reader. Smartphone is my main on the go unit. Chromebook is my primary computer. When I'm at work, I primarily use my corporate PC. My wife's primary computer is a MacBook, so if there's a time when I need to do something more intense (on rare occasions I need to do some web graphical interface design at home) then I use her MacBook or Remote Desktop on the Chromebook to my corporate machine.

If you're on the fence, I say give it a shot.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lasted less than 30 days, April 23, 2014
This review is from: HP Chromebook 11-1101 (White/Blue) (Personal Computers)
I bought this for my daughter so she would have something for homework, research, music and entertainment. Loved the idea of cloud storage so everything was backed up automagically. My daughter LOVED it. Great little Chromebook... until it died.

Less than 30 days later, it wouldn't power on. When plugged in to the charger, no lights, no life. I did some research and read about the (old) charger problems but we have the newer, square charger. I looked for a replacement charger online, but couldn't find anything. Then I looked on HP's site and couldn't find anything. I eventually called Google and got a very nice (really) young man who was more than willing to work with me. We plugged it into a 2 AMP smartphone charge with no luck. We tried a cold reset with no luck. He escalated to tier-2 support and I worked with another nice young man. We went through several iterations until he said they're going to send us a new Chromebook (and charger). Great! I PDF's my receipt and emailed it to him and he said it would be shipped 2nd Day Air "as soon as it was available."

That should have been my warning right there. He couldn't tell me when it would be available. It's now a week later and so I emailed him for an update. He said he still doesn't know, but if it takes longer than 30 days to please let him know. 30 DAYS!!??!! It didn't even LAST 30 DAYS!!! Guess what prompted me to write my review? Buyers beware.

************************

Update: May 23, 2014

After not receiving our replacement even after several weeks, I started turning to social media. I posted a review on HP's site and their site admin wrote me back saying they would look into the issue and see if they could help. I received a replacement within 48 hours of that post. It's now been a couple of weeks and we're starting to see charger issues again, with the plug having to be plugged in "just right" for it to take a charge. I don't have high hopes for the replacement at this point, but we'll have to wait and see. Having read the most recent reviews, it appears IMHO this particular piece of HP engineering is suffering from a design and/or supplier problem.

************************

Update: May 30, 2014

HP Chromebook 11 #2 is now dead after ~2 weeks, again due to charging issues. We've tried 3 different micro-USB chargers to no avail. The Chromebook charger itself seems to be okay, as it will charge at least a couple of cell phones, but the Chromebook won't work. We've also found that while plugged in, the Chromebook will sometimes suddenly turn off, and that also often happens when unplugging it. Seems like there is likely a short in the charging socket.

I called Google again and opened a new case. I have to give them props for courtesy and speaking English as their native language, but once again we're in a holding pattern to receive a replacement. This is getting old very quickly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great keyboard but needs a better CPU., February 1, 2014
This review is from: HP Chromebook 11-1101 (White/Blue) (Personal Computers)
I've had one of these for a good 3 or 4 months now with moderate usage. Was a little sad Best Buy only had it in White/Blue; since I wanted White/Green.

The good:

- A gorgeous 11.6" HD screen.
- Long battery life.
- Keyboard is AWESOME.
- MicroUSB charging and MyDP/Slimport port.

The bad:

- Performance is limited.
- Only USB 2.0 slots.

The screen is one of the best laptop screens I've seen. Much more like your typical $400 to $600 tablet and unlike most laptops. In fact, I have seen much worse screens on $1500 laptops!

Battery life tends to be long enough that I don't worry. I often see estimates of between 3 and 4 hours and can easily get over 6. Hooked up to a monitor and mouse, I can almost get through a workday with it, using the Chromebook as a Secure Shell (SSH) terminal.

Keyboard is something to write home about. If you do a lot of typing, which for me, is 12 to 16 hours a day computer use. You will really appreciate this keyboard and wish you could steal it for other products, lol. This is the kinda laptop you want to use the original keyboard because it is just so good -- rather that dock, slap the lid, and move on.

Along with the screen, one reason I chose this over the Samsung model, is the MicroUSB charging. It charges the same way that a standard compliant phone does; read virtually everything in the last several years without an Apple logo. The supplied charger is also a 3A, which is two the three times or more than typical phone chargers. If you use a Slimport / MyDP adapter you can hook it up to a monitor pretty easy too. Works kinda like MHL on a phone, except being DisplayPort based, it works well with VGA/D-SUB, DVI, and HDMI displays; where as MHL goes down hill if your monitor lacks HDMI.

The devices processor is the real let down and only strong negative. If you are a regular user, it will likely be fine. For regular web surfing it is perfectly fine. What chokes it is heavy lifting: things like Evernote and Google Plus. Having many Chrome extensions in the background will basically give you a 22~25 second load time on Google+ (2013). I found that removing the Google Voice, Hangouts, and Google Cast extensions really helped. Without any extensions loaded the performance of loading Google+ and Gmail is more like the Celeron 847 based Chromebooks. Google+ can load in under 10 seconds that way. On the upside however thanks to the processor, the battery life is awesome and doesn't go down hill so fast, like every Core i5 machine I've used in the 'Bridge family. Trying to do audio playback and opening a lot of tabs can cause stutters in the output sometimes. That seems to be when the processor cranks up and runs out of headroom, not from having 2GB of RAM.

As a consequence of the Exynos 5 Dual SoC, we only get support for USB 2. I would personally like USB 3.0 ports but frankly, for a Chromebook and the price, I can live with that ^_^.

If you have any issues with performance, wait for a newer version. A Snapdragon 800 or Exynos 5 Octa design would be a nice upgrade; be it either 2GB or 3GB RAM. I think a more powerful SoC would have been a better deal for this price vs the Samsung mode. But eh, we got an awesome screen and solid build quality.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT buy, January 29, 2014
Karl A. Idsvoog (Cincinnati, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP Chromebook 11-1101 (White/Blue) (Personal Computers)
Amazon ships this with a recalled charger. You open the box. There's a note telling you
not to use the charger and directing you to go online and to request the replacement which it says you'll receive within 30 days.
In other words, Amazon ships a computer to you knowing in advance that it cannot be used.

1.0 out of 5 stars Updated: 2nd replacement, still no charger, January 18, 2014
This review is from: HP Chromebook 11-1101 (White/Blue) (Personal Computers)
UPDATED - Google support just shipped a second replacement Chromebook (so my third overall), but did NOT include a charger. Utterly mystifying, it might as well have been an Etch-a-Sketch. At least that doesn't require electricity.

Were I to buy a new Chromebook with Amazon Prime I'd have a Chromebook AND a charger at my house in 48 hours, but I'm not going to do that ... and I don't recommend you do it either.

----Original review (2 stars)
I purchased a Chromebook shortly after initial release, and fell victim to the faulty charger problem; in my case the charger completely killed the machine and I needed a replacement. Unfortunately, the problems haven't stopped -- I still don't have a replacement charger, and the 'regular' micro-USB chargers that I've been advised to use in the interim will no longer charge the device (even when they worked, they powered the machine very slowly, so even while plugged in and in use, the battery would exhaust).

It's been over 2 months now since my original device failed and it's still not resolved - no ETA from Google support on a replacement charger, or confidence that this will solve the problem. Saving one star in case it gets resolved quickly but Google support has not yet been super helpful so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars USB charging technical details, June 21, 2014
This review is from: HP Chromebook 11-1101 (White/Blue) (Personal Computers)
I got the HP chromebook 11 to replace a Samsung chromebook because of the micro-USB charging feature. I wanted to be able to charge all electronics I have from one multiple-port USB charger. If you naively use a random micro-USB charger you may have lying around, it may not charge very quickly. This review explains some of the technical details regarding USB charging that I have learned after much research and trial and error. Hopefully, this info is useful to others interested in using a third party USB charger or battery pack.

There are three components that affect the charging: the charger (supplied voltage/current), the USB cable, and the chromebook. We need to first understand what the chromebook does.

The most useful info was obtained by reading the charger source code. In the chromium OS platform/ec git repository, the file of interest to look at is common/extpower_spring.c. First, the type of USB charger is detected by a TI TSU6721 chip. Secondly, based on the detected USB charger, the chromebook figures out the maximum current it will draw, up to the maximum of 2958mA (~3A). Finally, the chromebook starts from a low current and slowly ramps up the current draw until either it reaches the set maximum OR the voltage drops below 4.7V. So to get maximum charging, at a minimum you will need a charger that is detected by the chromebook as one that can support 3A AND that charger must be able to provide 3A while maintaining a voltage greater than 4.7V.

The chromebook handles a variety of charger types. The spec sheet for the TI TSU6721 can be found online and contains useful info about how detection occurs. The only type for which the chromebook sets the current limit to 3A is called a 'Type 1 Charger' in the TSU6721 documentation. A Type 1 Charger has a 200K resistor between the ID and GND pins. This appears to refer to the CEA-936-A (USB Carkit) specification. The next best chargers include some Apple chargers that have limits of 2A and 2.4A. As I have no Apple chargers, I did not figure out which chargers these would be. Probably most common USB chargers are recognized as CDP (charging downstream port) or DCP (dedicated charging port) which have a limit around 1.5A.

From a root shell on the chromebook, running `ectool powerinfo` provides very useful debugging info about the current charger and state. For example, the charger that comes with the chromebook is rated at 5.25V/3A. When running the above command right after plugging in the charger you get:

AC Voltage: 5323 mV
System Voltage: 6873 mV
System Current: 122 mA
System Power: 838 mW
USB Device Type: 0x1b020010
USB Current Limit: 435 mA

If you keep running the command, you would see the current limit increase and the AC Voltage decrease until it reaches maximum current and steady state:

AC Voltage: 5008 mV
System Voltage: 7138 mV
System Current: 1148 mA
System Power: 8194 mW
USB Device Type: 0x1b020010
USB Current Limit: 2958 mA

AC Voltage is the voltage that the chromebook sees and as explained above must stay above 4.7V. The higher starting 5.3V of this charger allows for 300mV drop without charging being stopped. Most USB chargers only provide 5V and there's only a margin of 300mV voltage drop before charging will slow down.

The USB Device Type is the detected USB charger type. The last byte (0x10 above) is the type detected by the TI chip (see I2C register map in the spec sheet, Device Type 1). 0x10 is a Type 1 Charger, 0x40 is a DCP charger.

The next important thing is the USB cable. A random USB cable you have probably uses thin wire (AWG28) which is high resistance and causes substantial voltage drop by itself. The length of the cable is also important. For example 28 gauge wire has 65 mohm/foot resistance. So if you had 3 foot cable, that would be 195 mohm in one direction or 390 mohm total going back and forth from the charger. At just 1A current, that would be a 390 mV drop from the cable itself. So if you had a 5V charger hooked up to this 3 foot USB cable, the voltage would drop below 4.7V and stop charging before you even got to 1A. The official charger probably uses AWG20 wire.

If you plug in every micro-USB cable you have lying around into a > 2A charger and run ectool powerinfo from the chromebook, you can determine which cables are crappy and which are good. The best cables will max out at the chromebook defined 1508mA current limit, whereas bad cables will stop at a lower limit because the AC Voltage drops before 4.7V.

I found that 1.5A is sufficient for maintaining battery charge while using the chromebook, but maybe you want more power. The easiest solution would be to find a commercially available Type 1 Charger USB cable. I have been unable to find one. You can also make your own cable. After trying a variety of combinations, I found the simplest was to get a female micro-USB connector, a male micro-USB connector, a 200K resistor (this is not a common resistor) and make a small adapter. Connect pin 1 of female with pin 1 of male, pin 5 of female with pin 5 of male, and the resistor from pin 5 of female to pin 4 of male. Then you can plug any existing USB cable you have into this adapter to make the chromebook detect it as a Type 1 Charger and then it will try to draw up to 3A.

Finally, the last component is the charger itself. It is not easy to get a charger that can provide 3A from a single port. The popular on Amazon Anker 40W 5-port device supports 8A total but only 2.4A per port. I tested with the PortaPow Crystal 4 port charger that can output 4.2A from a single port.

So in summary, it is relatively easy to get 1.5A. You may be able to get up to 2.4A using some off the shelf Apple chargers which I did not explore. If you want to get as much power as the OEM charger, you will need a high power charger, a heavy duty USB cable, and some soldering skills to add in a 200K resistor.

5.0 out of 5 stars A PERFECT device if you know what you're getting, October 27, 2013
This review is from: HP Chromebook 11-1101 (White/Blue) (Personal Computers)
First and foremost, if you're looking for something to use as your primary device, go look at something else. This won't cut it if you need a do-everything computer. If that statement doesn't apply to you, then read on:

PROS (there's a lot)

- The price - For less than most tablets, you get a lot more functionality.
- Great design - There are no visible screws, and the glossy white color is reminiscent of the older MacBooks.
- Extremely light - I think it weighs about the same as a MacBook Air, but it feels lighter to me.
- A stunning display - For this price point, I still can't believe how gorgeous it looks.
- Well designed keyboard - Super comfortable to type on and the keys have just the right amount of spring to them.
- Surprisingly loud - The speakers are under the keyboard, meaning you don't get muffled sound. No tinniness either.
- It's built with Chrome - If you already use Chrome, you'll feel right at home. All your favorite things carry over!
- Has two full size USB 2.0 ports. I've plugged in my external hard drive to watch movies and listen to music.
- It charges via micro-USB - Finally, you can use the same charger for both your phone and your laptop!

CONS

- Battery life - Even after trying multiple configurations, the most I've been able to get is a little less than five hours.
- Trackpad - I raised the sensitivity to the max setting, and while it helped a lot, it still isn't the best.
- Only 16GB of built in storage - It comes with two years of 100GB of Google Drive storage, but it would have been nice to have a little more on board to have access to some things while not connected to the internet. For those wondering, you don't lose all your things saved to Google Drive after the two years are up, you're just not able to upload any more content unless you start paying for more storage.

Hope this helps those who are on the fence! (Review typed and uploaded on my Chromebook)

HP Chromebook 11-1101 (White/Blue)
$279.99 $239.99