Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

HP's Chromebook 11 is my second Chromebook because, after one year with Samsung's Chromebook I came to realize that not only a Chromebook does almost everything a laptop or a PC or a tablet would do for me but it does it cheaper, usually faster and better, almost always worry-free and very much in style.
_____________________________________________________

UPDATE (Oct 26, 2014): I placed the HP Chromebook 11 next to the new Acer Chromebook 13 CB5-311-T1UU (13.3-inch Full HD, NVIDIA Tegra K1, 4GB) as I was reviewing it. My goal was to compare looks and display quality and HP's incredible near-180-degree viewing angle and bright picture still outshines that of a newer, more expensive machine with a 1080p display. I thought I'd share this. The HP is the smaller Chromebook, the one on the left.
_____________________________________________________

UPDATE (Dec 26, 2013): I am glad to see HP's 11-inch Chromebook available again. We've been using ours all throughout the charger 'crisis' and we are as happy with it today if not happier than we were on 'day one'. More than two months later, HP's Chromebook 11 continues to be a beautiful little device with a great display that continues to do most of what I require during my off-work hours. It traveled with me on my vacation and will travel with me again and it's there (on couch or on my bedside table) when I need it.

WHY A CHROMEBOOK?

There's so much to say here but let me make a quick summary. And never forget that we are talking about an 'under 300' device here because, yes, anything that costs 3-4-5 times as much should do better most of the time.

˕ My Chromebook is my most used computer excluding work hours and by 'computer' I mean PCs, laptops and tablets.
˕ Malware, spyware, adware-free. Since nothing is really 'installed' on the Chromebook, I can't see how one would ever be infected. I am now using my Chromebook to open suspicious emails or click on dubious URLs that I don't dare touch from a laptop.
˕ Extremely safe OS. I don't know if this is common knowledge but Google is constantly challenging hackers to crack their OS. As far as I know, Chromium wasn't cracked yet.
˕ Easy to share among any number of users without any concerns of compromising privacy. If you have a Google account, you simply sign in and you are going to be within your own, personal environment.
˕ Constantly updated and upgraded. Google updates Chromium every few weeks and I found my Chromebook actually getting better all the time rather than slowly fall into obsolescence. HP's Chromebook will not replace Samsung's, it will be used by another family member who really, really wanted one after watching my happy relationship with our first one.
˕ Nearly maintenance free. Whenever I don't use a tablet or even a laptop for a while, they tend to get very busy for a while once I turn them back on. Tablets, especially, are almost impossible to use until all those dozens of updates/upgrades process. Not the case for Chromebooks. Whatever upgrades may take place don't hit my Chromebook. Whenever I call up an app, I get it in its latest version.
˕ The attached keyboard helps a lot. Yes, you can pair a keyboard and even a mouse to a tablet but the Chromebook's keyboard is always there, it negates the need of a stand or even some protecting case.
˕ Chrome OS is streamlined and efficiently focused where it matters, on the everyday uses most of us need a 'computer' most of the time.
˕ Chrome OS being such a streamlined OS, browsing and running apps on a Chromebook is in fact faster than off a PC/laptop/tablet of equivalent specs.
˕ Relatively low prince, 11.6" display and light weight seem to be just about right for something that typically you'd be using to browse the Web while watching TV or take to and from school.

WHY NOT A CHROMEBOOK?

Yes, Chromebooks can't do everything. Google's productivity suites notwithstanding, they are mainly and they are best at media consumption rather than production. Nobody should buy a Chromebook and expect to be able to edit video or perform some heavy word processing or do some hard-core gaming. There are other machines and devices for such tasks. My experience is that a Chromebook can't do 'everything'. Tablets are more portable, PCs and laptops are more powerful but, to me, my Chromebook is the most fun to use and it's likely to stay this way. I am not going to call it my 'second' or 'third' or 'first' computer but, objectively, it's the one most use outside business hours if what we measure is 'hours'.

HP's CHROMEBOOK 11

I haven't spent a lot of time with HP's but, from the start, it was a very familiar feeling. HPs is not 'exactly like' Samsung's but it's easily recognizable as a Chromebook.

Here are some changes:

˕ USB-based charging. This is a BIG thing. The biggest negative in the case of Samsung's Chromebook was the proprietary charger. HP's USB-based charging allows the use of most off-the-shelf chargers so there's a lot less to worry.
˕ Better quality display. When compared to Samsung's the colors are sharper and brighter and you can view the screen from almost any angle left/right or up/down.
˕ Nicer keyboard. It's the same layout but the keys seem to have a little more travel. As a touch typist I am comfortable with both but, on a blind test, I would probably pick HP's over Samsung's.
˕ Somewhat more stylish design. I got the black model and I like both the color and the color accents. Some prefer 'silver' but they are both Okay as far as I can tell.
˕ Fewer ports. There are no USB 3.0 or HDMI ports on the HP's even though my understanding is that you can, in fact output HDMI through the Micro USB. This may be a big deal for some and they should get Samsung's if that's the case. Speaking for myself, I never felt a need to output HDMI off my Chromebook, ever. Same for USB data transfers.

Overall, I am very pleased with HPs device. The lack of USB 3.0 and HDMI ports amount to a big 'nothing' to me and their absence is balanced and surpassed by the non-proprietary charging method, much nicer display and better keyboard.

RATING

I am not going to compare HP's Chromebook with the Pixel or some top of the line laptop. I noticed that many 'pro' reviewers are complaining because Chromebooks and this particular one are not 'high end' and aren't as nice as the Pixel and such. Well... did anyone check the prices? So, yes, let me make a 'duh' statement: this Chromebook is not as good as devices that sell for 3 times or 4 times as much so anyone who doesn't mind paying more should pay more and get one of those. Even though... look at some reasons above for why one my prefer a Chromebook to a laptop or a tablet, regardless of price.

HPs is a five-star to me because it's at least as good and in some way better than my now one year old, often used and much trusted Samsung. The thirty dollars price difference between the two can be justified by HP's supporting USB charging, its much nicer display and its marginally better keyboard. As far as performance, they both appear to be up to the task and they both played Netflix movies flawlessly over Wi-Fi and cast them to the big TV through Chromecast (no need of an HDMI cable for that) - I mention it because I just tried that.

Chromebooks are not for everyone and they are not a universal computing device but, if used for what they are meant to be used, they are as good and as revolutionary as tablets.

CHROMEBOOK vs. CHROMEBOOK (HPs vs. Acer C720

I had the opportunity to play with Acer's Chromebook for a day and was therefore able to compare them side by side.

- Advantage HP -

˕ Looks and design. HPs looks much better in my view, you have color choices and that's that.
˕ Display. Same size, same resolution but HPs display is brighter, sharper and, most importantly, can be viewed from almost any angle. Not the case with Acer's.
˕ Charging. The ability to charge HPs Chromebook through almost any USB charger is very important to me. Acer's charger is proprietary.

- Advantage Acer -

˕ Horsepower. Acer's appears to be faster and it should be given its faster processor.
˕ Ports. You get HDMI out, USB 3.0 and SD card slot, all of them missing on HP's machine.
˕ Price. At least at launch, Acer's was selling for less.

I would say it's a tie when it comes to the keyboard and track pad's feel.

Acer's machine has the advantage if you are more 'productivity oriented' and need expansion capabilities (ports) and more raw CPU power. You would prefer the HP if you want a Chromebook mainly for fun and casual activities where looks, the availability of a charger and, very importantly, the quality of the display count more.

NOTES:

- Like most Chromebooks, this one too comes with a free 100GB in Google's cloud for two years. I didn't take advantage of that offer and I'm not going to go for this one, simply because I have no use of 'cloud' storage that goes beyond Gmail at this time.
- While Chromebooks are immune to viruses and other forms of malware, you are as tracked and 'monetized' while on a Chromebook as you are when browsing from your laptop or tablet or phone. However, there are ways to disrupt and confuse the trackers and my two favorite extensions these days are Disconnect Search (or Disconnect.me) that makes it impossible for Google to log your search activities and DoNotTrackMe which does what the name implies. Worth trying.
2626 comments|620 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 14, 2013
First of all, I believe that words can't express how satisfied I am with my new HP Chromebook. It is super thin and light and extremely beautiful. It is so practical that I can charge this laptop with the same charger of my smartphone and the other way around. This is the best laptop on the go.

The screen is very sharp, bright and high quality. Keyboard feels great when typing, speakers sound comes from the keyboard which makes this Chromebook completely sealed. There's no holes, moving parts, or anything that makes any noise.

Chrome OS has had a lot of improvements since last year. There a lot of offline apps, better notifications and a lot of awesome extensions. Free Google Drive 100Gb is still awesome.

I want to acknowledge that this is not a high performance laptop and is not suitable for high demanding 3D gamers. But for the price you will be fully satisfied because obviously this Chromebook has a really affordable price and is very pretty and performs almost all the task a regular computer does(and some extras that traditional computers doesn't).

One thing worth mention that this computer excels is Sound. Speakers are very rich, precise, loud and clear. Music lovers will enjoy the clarity of the music. You can really enjoy watching a movie due to the richness of the image and the quality of the sound...

I love this Chromebook because it just do the job well done!

Any questions please feel free to ask it in the comments below section...
1818 comments|253 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 14, 2013
==UPDATE 12/26/13== Well, the HP Chromebook is back on the shelves after the whole issue with the chargers overheating. After a couple months with this Chromebook and the other model, I still say the Acer Chromebook is a better value--but for those who don't multitask as often and just prefer a well designed laptop for a low price (it does look good!), this is probably the best model for you.

This is getting to be a long review, so I've split it up into multiple sections. Feel free to jump to the section which you think will help you the most.

==CONTENTS==

1) Upgrades from last year
2) Alternative models
3) First impressions
4) Conclusion
5) Summary

I'll be updating this review as I use the Chromebook more often as well, so check back once in a while! As always, feel free to ask questions in the comments section, and I'll be happy to answer them.

==UPGRADES FROM LAST YEAR==

In 2012, with the Samsung Chromebook becoming the #1 best selling laptop on Amazon, it seemed like there was hope after all for the Chromebooks. It was something that not many people expected, but the thin, silent design, combined with a decent battery life and a low price point managed to attract enough people to give Chromebooks a chance.

One year later, the time has come for its successor--the HP Chromebook 11. Is it a worthy successor? This review will take a closer look at what changed over the last year as well as explore some of the alternative options.

Let's start with the hardware. The design of this Chromebook is completely different compared to Samsung's model from last year. This is partially because it's made by HP, but also because Google teamed up with HP to design this new Chromebook. There's two color choices now, black and white. If you pick the white version, you also have the option to add Google-colored accents to the edges of the keyboard, while the black version is more understated, with an all black finish. Whether you like the new design or not is subjective, but it does retain the thinness (.69 inches) and is actually .1 pounds lighter than the previous Samsung model. There's also a new LED light bar on the back, similar to the Pixel. It lights up with the Google colors when it's on, and it looks pretty nice. Personally, I think it's a well designed laptop. It's simple, lightweight, and the unsightly bump from last year's model is gone.

The keyboard and touchpad are still extremely good. It's comfortable to type on, and overall has a much sturdier feel due to a new magnesium frame that they put in to support the plastic shell. There were some complaints about the Samsung model from last year regarding how flimsy it felt and how easy it was to bend it, and they definitely improved it here. Also, they've moved the speakers to underneath the keyboard, similar to how Apple does it. This way, the speakers do not get muffled when you put the notebook on your laps. Speaker quality is actually pretty decent for a sub-$300 laptop, but headphones are still going to be the obvious first choice for audiophiles.

Another major improvement is the screen. Google's making a big deal about the brightness of the new screen, but it truly is better than last year's model. Though it retains the same 1366x768 resolution (which is fine for a 11 inch laptop), the viewing angles and the contrast is much better. It is a glossy screen though, so unless you absolutely loved the more matte feel of last year's model, then the screen's also a big improvement.

The best hardware improvement for me personally is the new power port. It's now charged through a Micro USB cable, a cable that's currently used to charge most Android phones as well as the Amazon Kindles. As someone who travels a lot, this would mean just packing one cable to charge all my devices, something that I think adds a lot of convenience. Another advantage is that the abundance of Micro USB cables makes it easy to find a replacement should you ever lose it(you probably have one lying around in your house!). Note that it does charge slower if you use another cable: the one that comes with this Chromebook has been optimized for it. With that being said, the HP Chromebook 11 does lose the HDMI port found in the previous model, but it's still possible to connect it to your TV. To do so, you'd have to buy a Slimport adapter and then connect the HDMI cable from there. It's not a big hassle, but it's still something worth mentioning.

All of these changes mentioned above have been mostly good and welcomed improvements to last year's model, but perhaps it's the parts that haven't changed which are the most disappointing. Unfortunately, Google has decided to not upgrade any of the internal aspects of the Chromebook, so it still retains the same ARM based processor found last year's model, the 16GB of flash storage, and the 2GB of RAM. Battery life remains more or less the same as well, at around 6 hours. Considering the brisk pace technology moves at, I think it's hugely disappointing that Google is still using last year's chips, and it's the one major flaw with this Chromebook. One of the biggest changes in technology this year was the introduction of Intel's 4th generation Haswell processors, giving solid processing power while drastically increasing power efficiency. The new Macbooks are using it, and some of the new Chromebooks are too, increasing their battery life to around 9 hours per charge. One might argue that Chromebooks don't require much processing power, but with websites and web apps becoming more advanced every day, I think it's disappointing that none of the internal hardware was upgraded. Note that overall performance isn't bad, but it's not great either. It's the exact same as last year's model - most websites I tried run smoothly, but some of the more graphically heavy websites stutter when you're trying to scroll. HD video playback is relatively steady, but if you have too many tabs open, the quality suffers. For the pages most people visit, like Facebook, Youtube, Gmail, etc., I thought this Chromebook handled it pretty well as long as I didn't have too many tabs open.

In regards to the software, this is still running Chrome OS, and if you used any of the Chromebooks before, you'd be familiar with it's capabilities and limitations. There's no real changes here, since all Chromebooks are continuously updated with the most recent version of Chrome OS, but for those looking at the Chromebooks for the first time, here's a little rundown on how the Chrome operating system works. At its core, it's the Chrome web browser, and only the Chrome web browser. Though the pictures in the advertisements shows a desktop and wallpaper, don't be fooled: it's not a traditional PC. Therefore, if you use programs like Microsoft Office, Photoshop, iTunes, etc., know that you won't be able to use any of those programs on a Chromebook. However, there are substitutes for most of those programs online, such as Google Docs, Picasa, Google Music, etc. The advantage of having such a simple system is speed: it boots up in less than 10 seconds, and you're instantly connected to the web (provided you have Wi-Fi). Therefore, if most of what you do on a computer is browse the web anyways (Facebook, E-mail, Youtube, etc.), then a Chromebook allows you to do all of that very quickly.

Overall, this Chromebook is definitely an improvement over last year's Samsung model, but the lack of internal changes makes it really hard to recommend if you're looking to upgrade from the Samsung model. For people looking into Chromebooks for the first time, I'd say that this isn't a bad model - it's relatively cheap at $279, it's well designed, and it's overall performance is still solid. For people looking for a "cute" second computer, I do think this is a great model. However, I'd still recommend giving the other models announced this year a look (see below).

==ALTERNATIVE MODELS==

Even though this is Google's new flagship Chromebook - the one they're promoting as the Chromebook "for everyone", there are other options coming out.

Acer's C720 Chromebook (Acer C720 Chromebook (11.6-Inch, Haswell micro-architecture, 4GB))
I've been using this model for the last couple days and I must say I prefer this model over the Hp model. It's just so much zippier: websites load faster, scrolling is more responsive, and it handles multiple tabs better. It also has better battery life and more input/output ports. Sure the screen isn't as good, but it's not terrible either. Unless you really desire an attention-catching device, I'd recommend the Acer Chromebook over this model. I've written a full review for the Acer, so feel free to read it for a closer look.

HP's Chromebook 14 (HP Chromebook 14 (Snow White))
HP announced this as an update to last year's 14 inch model, which was moderately successful. They've completely redesigned it, and I think it looks much more elegant. It'll come in multiple colors for $299. It'll also include the new Haswell processors, giving it a 9-hour battery life. I think this is a great model for those who want a larger screen and do not mind the increased weight.

Additional notes:
Google also packages this Chromebook 11 with some extra perks, including 12 sessions of GoGo In-flight Wi-Fi, as well as 100GB of Google Drive storage for 2 years. If you are a frequent flyer, those 12 sessions alone makes the Chromebook pretty cost-efficient. I'm not certain if the other Chromebook models include the GoGo WiFi, but they all include the Google Drive storage. Also something worth mentioning is that this HP Chromebook 11 model is fanless due to its processor, so it's absolutely silent. The other models do have fans, but in my opinion, the sound difference is negligible.

==FIRST IMPRESSIONS==

When I first heard about this Chromebook, I was pretty excited. I looked at a bunch of pictures, saw the price tag, and I thought to myself, "Now here's the Chromebook I've been waiting for". Prior to this, I've used the Samsung Chromebook S3 as well as the original CR-48 Chromebook test model, mainly for taking notes in class. After opening the box and turning it on for the first time, I was ecstatic, because to be honest, this screen looked great, especially compared to the older models. The Chromebook in general looked great. I loved the color bar in the back, the clean design, and the keyboard. It was light and portable, and it looked very...attractive (as attractive as a computer can be I suppose). Setting it up was easy as well: you connect to your Wi-Fi, enter in your Google credentials, and then it syncs with your Google account, and all your bookmarks and apps are automatically transferred over. Anyone who's used a Chromebook before would be used to this.

Bringing it to class was also a pleasure. It fits into one of my smaller bags, and it was light enough to be comfortable to carry. I thought the keyboard and trackpad were pretty awesome - they remind me of the Apple's keyboard, and I think that's a pretty high compliment. I'm a fast touch typist, and I was able to maintain my normal WPM with few errors while taking notes. Midway through the day though, I was working on a research project and had a bunch of tabs open and the Chromebook began to feel a bit slow: pages were loading slower and the scrolling wasn't as smooth. I attribute to the fact that Google decided to use last year's chips as I mentioned in the section above, as this was something that would happen with the Samsung model as well. This was frustrating for me, because I thought surely by now, Chrome would run smoothly on Chrome OS. This is the sole reason I'm giving this model 3 stars.

I got around 5.5 hours of battery life, so that's a bit less than advertised. Nevertheless, I did find the charging cable useful, and I was able to use it to charge both my phone and the computer.

==CONCLUSION==

With this year's updates, I'm sure Chromebooks will continue to be a rising star. This model, looks especially good. It's one of the best looking laptops that I've seen at this price point, and really raises the bar for low-end Chromebooks. However, if looks aren't everything for you, some of the other models equipped with the Haswell processors are especially worth looking into. While this HP Chromebook 11 is well designed - the screen is great, the speakers are decent, the keyboard is great - I'm slightly concerned about it's performance.When someone buys a laptop, they expect it to last them at least a couple of years, and I'm not sure how long a computer with a chip from the previous generation will be able to keep up.

==SUMMARY==
The Good:
- Great screen
- Great keyboard
- Great sound for a sub-$300 laptop
- Overall design is eye catching

The Bad:
- The processor is outdated, leading to sluggish performance at times
- Cannot be taken apart, parts are hard to replace (Cannot increase RAM for example)
- Less ports compared to previous generations
- Battery life is good compared to last year's models, but only mediocre compared to this year's models.

Overall:
The HP Chromebook 11, with its solid keyboard and fantastic screen, allows you to get some serious work done -- and look good while doing it. If you can deal with a mediocre processor and battery life (and of course, Chrome OS), this is a great model. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

Score: 3.5/5
3434 comments|296 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 15, 2013
I will admit, my loyalty to google started with the search engine, solidified with Gmail and the Chrome browser, and went totally all-in with Android. In this context, let me say that I love the Chromebook 11, my first Chromebook, after owning it for just 2 days.

I have put it through it's paces and have to say it is a great alternative to tablets for those prefering the traditional laptop form factor.

Points of discussion:

1-portability. The Chromebook 11 is the perfect size, weight and thickness for travel. Basically a little thicker and heavier than most 10" tablets but not by much.

2-charger. Using a micro-usb charger is a stroke of genius. Rated at 3A, it will charge my Chromebook, my smartphone and my tablet. Huge plus in my book. Certainly better than the power brick most Win laptops come with and many tablets have.

3-screen. This screen compares favorably to my original Nexus 7. It is bright with good viewing angle. It is my better than my full size Gateway laptop, and it is what I consider a "premium" display. Bright, colorful, sharp.

4-sound. Every laptop I've used suffered in sound quality and volume. The Chromebook has passable sound quality but is much louder from the fact that sound emanates through the keyboard. Plenty loud for my purposes. A negative is that sound stutters if the processor is taxed. Unfortunately, this includes any sort of web browsing while you have music playing in the background. I didn't think audio amounted to a huge processor load and wonder if this isn't some glitch that can be fixed--after all, I listen to music and browse all the time with my smartphone.

5-Google. You have to love google or forget it. That means using Chrome, Gmail, Drive, Music, Google Docs etc. If you do already, great. If not, you better jump on board or don't buy this. If you are thinking about making the transition, definitely search the internet for quirks ie. specific file types, workarounds, etc. May not be "doable" for you.

6-Keyboard. Solid chicklet-style keyboard. Fullsize. Definitely better than most $500 laptops out there. I love it.

7-Trackpad. I was always a mouse guy. I immediately paired the Microsoft bluetooth mouse with the Chromebook as soon as I set it up. But this trackpad is easy to use, so much so that I may ditch the mouse. First trackpad that I'm starting to really dig--just after 2 days!

8-Ports. Not a lot. Just 2 USB 2.0 ports. No SD card reader. No HDMI. Not a problem for me since I am used to using Google Drive or a USB thumbdrive.

9-Processing speed. This is not a fast computer. Some webpages take noticeably longer to load. I feel this is the main downside to this laptop.

Bottom line, I considered a high end Ultrabook (namely, the Samsung ATIV Plus or the LENOVO YOGA 2 PRO) but in the end, the Chromebook satisfies 90% of my travel needs, and 100% of my sitting-in-front-of-the-TV-browsing needs. Lastly, I bought my Chromebook 11 from Google Play. After having an issue with my Nexus 7 after 11 months of ownership, I will say that Google customer service is top notch and a pleasure to deal with. Something to think about. I did have to pay tax and shipping though.
33 comments|44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 20, 2013
This is the third Chromebook that I've owned. I previously owned the Samsung XE303C12-A01US and the Acer C710-2826. All three have 2GB of RAM and 16GB of eMMC storage. The HP Chromebook 11 is the one I like the most. The speed is the same as the Samsung, but not as fast as the Asus with the Celeron 847 CPU. The HP has the best screen of the three (followed by the Acer and then the Samsung). The HP has the best keyboard of the three (followed by the Samsung and the Acer). The HP also has the best overall design. I mostly do web browsing with a few tabs open and sometimes stream SiriusXM in the background. Overall performance is fine. I am a bit disappointed that the HP micro-USB charger will not charge my 2nd generation Nexus 7, but I'm not sure if that's due to HP's charger design or the Nexus 7's port design. Unfortunately, I do not have any other micro-USB devices to try. Overall, I'm liking the HP Chromebook 11. The Chromebook to watch is the Acer C720 (with Haswell Celeron CPU and 4GB RAM), which has not yet been released.
on October 16, 2013
This is the best Chromebook yet! I recently got this from the Google Play store. I previously had the Samsung Chromebook 11 which was a good, however, this Chromebook is great and well worth the 30 dollars more. They may have the same internals and the speed is the same and the battery life. For 30 dollars more you get a brighter, more colorful, IPS Screen. The IPS screen has a vastly better viewing angle then the LCD screen on the Samsung. You will notice the screen quality difference immediately if you had previously had the Samsung. Also for 30 dollars more you get a way better external casing. If you have ever seen the older White Unibody Macbook's. This is almost exactly the same build but thinner due to no CD/DVD drive. It is built quite a bit better then the Samsung and also looks way more stylized. The Trackpad is better then the slightly jumpy Samsung Trackpad. I haven't noticed any real battery life differences between the better screened HP over the Samsung. Overall, if you are looking to buy the Samsung Chromebook I would highly recommend this HP over the Samsung. As I haven't had the other Chromebooks I can't compare those, though, I have seen them at this one is at least the best looking that I know of other then the Chromebook Pixel which is 1200 dollars and does the same things. You do lose the USB 3.0 and the HDMI out slots with the HP however, but unless you absolutely need to have those get the HP. I think part of the reason it is better then the Samsung is that the HP one is designed specifically by Google just like their 1200 dollar Chromebook Pixel was. I use the computer as a student in college and can say that you can do anything that you need with this computer when you are in school and don't have to pay for word processing or a expensive computer. This is a very nice computer. I will say this though. Do not get the Google designed cases for this Chromebook. They are 49.99 and are not nearly as good as others 11 inch cases. I would highly recommend getting the Incase Terra 11 inch zip up case off of Amazon for 20-25 dollars. It fits perfect and is very nice. In conclusion, if you want a nice computer and case for 300 dollars total and are a student or need only word processing and internet browsing and videos online then this is the computer you want and if you want a nice case for it, then get the Incase Terra 11 off Amazon as well.
on October 23, 2013
I owned many chrome devices. This has the best display. Easy to set up like all chrome devices. At first the touch pad appears to be unresponsive. After some experimentation, the best solution is to connect it to a remote mouse. This chromebook responds to mouse control beautifully. I like most about this one is its robust connection to youtube. I can play through my playlist without interruption of connection wheras other chrome devices tend to lost connection frequently. This one works like a charm. I now use this exclusively to chromecast youtube program to my TV without interruption as I play through my playlist from beginning to end.

10/23/2013 update

This chromebook seems to chromecast better than other chrome devices. It works seemlessly in casting youtube, that is very important for me. I wonder if others have similar experiences.
on October 15, 2013
I'm not going to bother getting into the debate on whether a chromebook is a good choice versus a netbook, laptop, mac, whatever. It's been done to death, and is a truly pointless debate. If you're unsure, see if you can work with just a chrome browser, and chrome browser apps for a while, then ask yourself if you can work with that on the road, or even at home, or under certain conditions, and yes, it probably shouldn't be your sole computer. Done.

As to the machine: I just got mine (by the way you can get in a couple days via the Google Play store if you don't want to wait for Amazon to get their stock) and it's pretty much the same weight and feel as the Samsung. Keyboard is nice, sound emanates from under the keyboard as they say, and the feel of the device overall is actually a bit better than the Samsung. The primary difference is the display -- it's brighter and "richer" than the Samsung. This should come at some battery life cost, but I've found mine is still okay after 5 hours so far.

I think the aesthetic quality will hold over time a bit better, if that matters to you. The "metal" look of the Samsung quickly scarred and looked pretty horrible after a few months use on my Samsung. White plastic with trim
actually looks fine with this device. The feel of it is the nice feather-light feel you may know from the Samsung (or Mac Air), but with a bit more of a substantial feel to it.

The construction seem well thought-out, and functionally, it does exactly what you would expect if you know Chromebooks. I started it up, logged in, let it update, and other than adding my additional languages and setting a custom wallpaper, I can tell no difference, interface-wise, from my chromebook (which is exactly how it should be). Wireless picked up quickly and easily.

Not much else to say -- it is what a chromebook is (in my opinion, a good thing -- work with them exclusively now managing Linux, Windows, and Mac machines), and in my opinion, it's a very nice, lightweight chromebook with a good feel to it and a nice screen, especially for the price. I think this machine should really be in the $300+ range.
on October 23, 2013
I've owned Toshibas, Acers, HPs, Dells, and now Chromebook. I bought my Chromebook from Google only because I didn't want to wait for it, but I can tell you my family will be purchasing a second one soon. As someone who makes their living writing, and needs to be online all the time, this Chromebook is my favorite ever. At first I was worried that I would be writing "in the cloud" and terrified I'd lose my work for clients. No need. I can download the work from Google Docs, OpenOffice app or the new QuickOffice and save it on my computer. My previous laptop was crashing often and would take 20 minutes to an hour to boot and open Word. I can close this in a cafe, drive home, open it up, and everything is right there.The keyboard is a dream, it's easy to use, the keys feel great and I can work for hours. It's small and thin but doesn't feel cheap and I've had people comment on how amazing it looks. The display is one of my favorite elements, it's bright and makes everything look great. I've watched several tv shows on this to test it out and they look fantastic. I know sound, especially with such a small computer, is an issue, but this little computer sounds great. I use headphones all the time, but the sound comes up nicely under the keyboard. I'm accustomed to Harmon Kardon speakers on my old laptop, and those have a great sound, but this Chromebook does the trick and never disappoints. I've now increased my productivity tenfold because I can open it up and just start working immediately. Love using Gmail and everything else, none of that was a new thing for me, so this is seamless. I want to get my mom one soon because she has problems with viruses and malware, and this is the solution I know.

UPDATE: Prior to the first charger being recalled, I had to send back my computer to Google because it started working. It refused to even display a charge light even when it sat plugged in all day. I was sent a replacement, and then eventually got the new charger. The latest computer displayed the same behavior after sitting for several days without being used. Then randomly it started working again when I plugged it in. I have noted others commenting about the same problem on the Google boards. My fix is to be sure I keep it plugged in and charged when I decide not to use it for several days. It's annoying though and Google wanted to replace it with a 2nd Chromebook. Which would make 3 I have had since October. Really. I still love it though.

UPDATE 2: We're now in August, and this little Chromebook is still going strong!
This is an exceptionally well built computer for the price. The keyboard is fantastic, the trackpad is decent, and the display is just as good as the one on my 11" Macbook Air. So what's the trade off? A very limited operating system that needs to be connected to the Internet all the time in order to be useful.

Chromebooks are computers that boot up to Google's ChromeOS - which itself is pretty much just a Chrome web browser. Google has built a nice eco system around it with quite a large catalog of HTML 5 apps that run inside Chrome on nearly all platforms. The Chromebook will sync itself to your other chrome installations, meaning that every extension and bookmark will be right where it is on your other devices.

The problem is that the Chromebook becomes significantly less useful when it's offline. Documents are mostly inaccessible and apps that aren't expressly written to run offline in the browser won't load. The Chromebook 11 lacks an internal cellular modem so it will need to be within range of a WiFi access point (or a cellular hotspot) in order for it to work outside of a home or office. I did find that Google hid "quickoffice," an app that allows offline document editing, but I was only able to get it working if I had previously downloaded a compatible document to the machine first.

Under the hood the Chromebook 11 has what is essentially a tablet or smartphone processor. It works fairly well but it isn't as snappy as a PC or modern tablet might be. YouTube videos stutter a bit when loading and text sometimes lags behind key presses when working on a document.

So who's this for? It's a great kids machine provided they'll have constant and reliable access to the network. Since the documents are stored in the Google cloud there's little chance of losing anything due to a damaged or stolen device. Also those who are considering dumping their PC's for a tablet might want to consider this instead as it's more useful as a productivity device - provided they don't mind living in Google's cloud.
55 comments|21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse