Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on December 3, 2010
I recently received a notice about a class action suit against HP related to the high ink usage of the 6500 printer that uses this ink.

It seems that the normal default setup for the printer uses all 4 inks when printing black! To lengthen the life of the color inks, you need to change your defaults so that it prints in black and white, using only the color ink. I need to look at the quality if I set the default to 'draft quality' as well.

That last part is on a menu with the choices being 'High quality' and 'black ink only'.

If you set your printer defaults to this, you'll need to modify the print setup on a request basis when you want print in color.

The color ink should last a lot longer with this.
1111 comments| 201 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 13, 2010
Edited on June 10, 2012 to add: I've purchased these several times, and the last time I thought I got a bad set, but actually the cartridges are fine. Owners of this printer know that the cartridges fit into a cartridge holder, and that the ink flows through this holder to the paper. After a while, the cartridge holder gets clogged up and while I bought a new one, before I installed it, I decided to try the internet advice to wash out the old holder. I'm lazy, I ran the holder through the dishwasher (after making sure there was no food debris in the machine) and took it out before the heat/dry cycle started. I blasted the water away with canned air and then let the holder air dry over night and my printer is good as new.

Edited on February 19, 2011 to add: Be aware that the low ink indicator on your printer is not very accurate. Recently I experimented by leaving the old cartridges in until the printer would not print. These 920XL cartridges continued to print for nearly three months AFTER the printer indicted that they were empty.

Having owned laser printers exclusively until last October (2009), I was spoiled by how long laser cartridges last. Last fall I bought the HP 6500 printer to replace an old and increasingly balky laser printer. I am delighted with the print quality of my printer, by I was shocked by the short life of the color cartridges.

Thankfully I found these XL cartridges, and while they won't outlast a laser printer's, they are far superior to the standard ones. I'm delighted with the print quality and longevity of these.
33 comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 28, 2010
I have worked with computers, printers, and technology in general for the last 11 years. I also sell and service PCs, consult, and spent 3 years as an assistant to our Systems Administrator helping manage 28 printers and 112 workstations. We use HP products exclusively when it comes to printers and the original HP Branded cartridges when replacing ink. I have tried refills, generics, etc. and nothing I have used comes close. I own 2 HP printers with one being a 6500 all-in-one wireless. I use this printer each Sunday to print fifty-five 8-12 page PowerPoint handouts and I have always opted for the XL version. The additional ink over the normal size cartridge is a bargain when actually calculating milliliters-per-penny.
These same 4 cartridges purchased at a local Wal-Mart would cost you $110.00. This is a great bargain for quality ink. I DO buy singles from time to time as I always run out of one of the 3 colors more quickly than the other 2 but as a general rule, I buy this 4 pack.
on June 29, 2011
I was happy that the product from Berry Products USA LLC was as advertised: HP 92XL Four Pack Black and Colors Ink Cartridge set which provides(1 each) of the 920 XL HP cartridges. HP 920XL Four Pack Black and Colors Ink Cartridge Set - (Black CD975AN, Yellow CD974AN, Cyan CD972AN, Magenta CD973AN) Sold in Retail Packaging They arrived quickly and were genuine per my HP 6500 E709n printer. My HP printer will not work if the cartridges do not pass their test. They passed. I gave it only 3 stars because some of the toner cartridges had expiration dates too close to the actual expiration date for my comfort. While it was packaged as a 4 set, each cartridge had it's own box and expirations date. Two were almost expired and the other 2 would expire in a few months. Other similar purchases from other vendors gave me much more leeway with the expiration date of these toner cartridges. If you like to stock up on ink toner cartridges, don't buy them from Berry Products USA. If you need to use them quickly anyway, this vendor is fine.
on March 8, 2014
Printer worked fine, no issues other than ran out of ink...and we do a LOT of printing here...so went from fine, to Yellow not registering and Black not printing at all after installing these cartridges...yes, went through all the troubleshooting, and I have about 20 pages I need to print for a client tomorrow...which isn't going to happen from the comfort of my home today! Grrrrrr.....
on April 18, 2014
I ordered two packs of ink for our printer. The first one printed sporadically from the 2nd or 3rd use. The second one has performed well. I returned the defective set to Amazon right away, but was charged $15 for a restocking fee. I will not order ink from Amazon again because of this policy. I expect that defective products should receive a full refund.
on April 5, 2014
The ink works very well. However, HP keeps sending messages that this or that or all cartridges are about to run out. They are trying to sell more ink. I have used HP ink cartridges for 100-200+ pages after those warnings. Also, HP ink is very expensive. I have found that refills at Costco are economical and work just as well (although HP sends warnings that the cartridges are not original HP ones).
on April 24, 2016
I don't think this is genuine HP ink. I say this because it kept stopping and said no HP ink. Then there were 2 that didn't work and snap into the cartridge holders. I took the print head and cleaned it in warm water just one sure it wasn't clogged. The printer worked this time, but it had faded hard to see color with little detail. Definitely not HP. Must be a phoney, but I have no way of investigating the matter. Just a warning. It was a expensive, too.
on March 23, 2016
I had to remove and replace my new ink cartridges a few times before they all worked. The black I took out and replaced about 15 times before the printer accepted it. I kept getting the damaged or missing message. At the start I receive the message for the magenta yellow and the black. After a few removal and replacements just the yellow and black had the error message. Finally the black cartridge was accepted my the printer. So I hope it was just me - but beware if this happens to you
on February 5, 2010
Pros: HP 920XL Four Pack Black and Colors Ink Cartridge Set - (Black CD975AN, Yellow CD974AN, Cyan CD972AN, Magenta CD973AN) Sold in Retail Packaging Extremely quick delivery time. Free shipping usually takes at least a week, not Toner Planet, my ink order was in the mail the same day.

Cons: None except the price dropped [...] bucks since I placed my order last week, that's life.