4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound for small speakers from Amazon
Published on October 14, 2011 by bengalkat

Customer Video Review     Length:: 2:29 Mins
Original review below asterisks. Updating to raise rating and add a few observations.

Published 18 months ago by tbyg

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound for small speakers from Amazon, October 14, 2011
This review is from: HP 2.1 Compact Speaker System (BR386AA#ABL) (Personal Computers)
I have a new computer but old speakers that barely put out any sound at all. After reading reviews on this product I ordered it and am very pleased that I did. Had a little trouble at first hooking the speakers up as I found the printed instructions to be slightly confusing. However my on-line HP help solved the problem and all went smoothly from then on. What a joy to finally be able to hear videos again. I would definitely recommend this product for those who want good sound at a reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't know kids..., November 24, 2012
T. Gatz (Shorewood IL) - See all my reviews
I don't consider myself an audiophile or anything, but I do know that I plugged these speakers in and tried them out for the first time with Godsmack, and they performed exceptionally well. The bass was solid and the sound had no perceptible distortion, and I was rock'n out as much as I would in my car. From across the room, the girlfriend said, "Wow, those sound really good!". I'm sure there are other great units out there for hundreds of dollars, but for 27 bucks you can't go wrong for a booming sub-woofer and marvelous little mini speakers that belt out the sound. The little controller is pretty sweet too, as it adds to the coolness factor with it's little white LED, and I hate trying to turn speakers on and off from the speaker. The little controller sits right by my keyboard, ready to control power and volume. The right speaker fits perfectly under the shelf for my printer, which is why I wanted little speakers to begin with. If you're dealing with the speakers your computer came with, and you find yourself feeling shortchanged on real sound, get these.

4.0 out of 5 stars NICE SOUND!, June 9, 2011
I bought this set about three days ago and using them with a acer netbook. I think the bass is punchy and strong but not too much. the treble is a little weak but I think its just not overpowering like other speakers I'm used to. The high end is not sparkling but pleasant and warm. They get very loud and stay strong to the upper volume levels. The price is a little high for what you get. Oh, the gloss black on the satellites suck a lot of dust out of the air and all over the speakers! I like them because they do not take up a lot of space and they look great!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good sound eventually, after receiving two defective units in a row., February 27, 2013
Length:: 2:29 Mins

I took these off the TV (why I had bought them, since they were the only thing with speakers small enough to go in front of the TV and not block the picture) and put them on my work computer. Buzz not nearly as bad. Perhaps the problem was with the TV's headphone output.

They sound excellent where I am using them now. Sometimes the midrange seems non-existent, but perhaps that's the individual recording. Sound great for piano, one of my tests of a good speaker.

What you put the subwoofer on matters a lot - it is not suited to being placed on top of a filing cabinet without something less flexible being placed under it.

Anyway, the more I listen to them, the more I forget the thunking subwoofer incidents, although I still say two in a row was ridiculous.

***********************************
My experience with these speakers was just plain crazy.

They sound very good, but not enough to be worth the hassle. There's a pretty loud buzz when the volume is turned all the way up.

Anyway, here's my experience with two defective subwoofers in a row.

On the first unit, something inside the subwoofer went "thunk" as I turned it over to plug in the speakers. So I requested a return and ordered another unit. Same experience with the subwoofer, straight out of the box. Thunking noises, and where the socket for the speakers should have been was just a hole in the box.

The seller told me to just toss it and they would send me a replacement subwoofer, which they did. This one finally didn't go "thunk," but I have no way of knowing if it was untouched from the factory or had been repaired.

I opened the subwoofer the seller said to toss, and found:

a) A circuit board that had never been fastened down in any way - this was obvious because the screws that should have mounted it to two posts had been screwed in with the circuit board just flapping around in the breeze.

b) The posts that held the power supply had broken off, and the power supply was also flapping around in the breeze (well, thunking around in the breeze - it was pretty heavy) along with the busted ends of the posts.

c) A wire had broken off the circuit board due to the above.

And, again, this was two subwoofers in a row that thunked. Coincidence? Or a known bad batch that should have been inspected and repaired or scrapped? I suspect the latter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sounds good with a fix, May 22, 2012
The speakers arrived with the product encased in bubble wrap. Despite that, there was something heavy flopping around in the subwoofer box. The product worked, but I had to take off the bottom to investigate the loose item. It was the magnet for the sub. Held in place by plastic posts, someone in the delivery process managed to throw the box hard enough that the plastic posts snapped off at the base. To keep the magnet in place, I used small pieces of duct tape. Amazon did the right thing in their packing and HP makes a good little speaker set, it was the outside "elements" who took away a perfect rating. The speakers sound good (I'm using a new HP computer) and the quality can be adjusted with the EQ settings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, February 28, 2012
These speakers work great with my laptop. They get louder than I had anticipated. Wal-mart's price on these was $39.99 plus tax so I saved a few bucks purchasing online. Small and compact! Understand, these are not Bose speakers! If you want that type of quality then go spend the money. If you just want to watch video, listen to some music, or watch a movie and want to do it for an affordable price in a compact size, these speakers may be for you. I'm no musician, I don't have an ear for sound like many people seem to think they have. I just like what I purchased. A cinch to install. Just plug'em in and they're on. At least that's what happened for me. Cords are somewhat short, so if you need long connections please take that into consideration. I hope this helps you make the appropriate decision for your needs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slight buzzing to the speakers, but still good sound., January 9, 2013
Vivian (Austin, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
I've had these speakers a little over 6 months now and didn't want to jump to writing a review without having enough time to really see how they worked.

Out of the box, they were find and everything worked well for me. The sound was good, not great, but enough for what I needed. I like to watch videos, play games, listen to music, but I'm in no way an audiophile. The subwoofer has a very small footprint and can easily fit on a desk and the speakers themselves are very short and take up very little room. I have my sub on the ground, and my speakers under my monitor. My monitor is an Acer 23" LED on the same level as the speakers, so I was glad to see that the speakers fit underneath without obstructing any of the screen.

The volume control is a separate cable which is both good and bad. It adds more time and effort to the setup, but it puts control of the volume wherever you want it without actually having to move or reach for the speakers. The plastic of the volume control isn't the best, but you aren't paying very much for these speakers anyways, so it's still a pretty good value. I am pleased with the construction and looks with the speakers overall, but where it falls short is after extended use.

Recently, my speakers have been giving me a slight buzzing sound at 25% and above volumes. Regardless of what I have my computer volume set at, if the dial on the volume control is at the 25% mark or higher, there is a constant buzzing even with the computer off. Even more recently, every once in a while, that buzzing would be there even under the 25% mark. For what I paid, I don't expect all that much, but ti's sad to see this happen.

I usually don't play any audio very loudly, so I don't think it would be an issue of usage, but the paper part of the speakers are exposed, so you will need to be careful about how you treat them. I turn my speakers off when I don't need them to minimize the amount of buzzing I hear, but I would imagine for most people, this is too much of a hassle to deal with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Speakers, February 6, 2013
these speakers are amazing you really get a good deal on them. The only thing is that the speakers alone are quiet (my laptop is louder at 50% volume) but with the sub plugged in they are great and with a little volume controller its very handy. Overall i would rate these speakers and sub a 10 out of 10. You will be happy with them

5.0 out of 5 stars love it!, June 21, 2012
I love the hp speaker system! it was afordable and performs just like hp said it would! I wish I would have ordered it sooner if I only knew about it! Now my PC has super sound system! I can make it as loud as I want! now I hear everything!!

1.0 out of 5 stars HP compact speaker system, February 18, 2013
large piece with rattle noise and does not work. Shameful to send defective product as if new. Will return ASAP

Rate and Discover Movies