Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: HP DJ 2540 Wireless All-in-One Color Photo Printer (Discontinued By Manufacturer)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

VINE VOICEon November 29, 2013
Style: Printer|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This printer is very easy to setup, install, connect and prepare for use.

PROS:
Printing is easy.
Copying is easy.
Scanning is easy and provides very good quality.
Scanning has a LOT of options (scan document or photo to a file, an email or a TIF).
It can operate by direct connection to the computer using the supplied USB cord, or cordless.
It is extremely lightweight (and therefore easy to move).
It has a relatively small footprint.
It is fairly fast.

CONS:
Print quality is not the best (there tends to be a little grey in the white areas).
It is a little loud.

Overall, the printer is a fairly good buy for the price.
0Comment| 182 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon November 27, 2013
Style: Printer|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The HP Deskjet 2540 is a small, easy-to-use printer that works fine for occasional users, like me. It is a three-in-one color inkjet printer, and is a wireless printer. The price is right and should fit into most household budgets. The big point for me is that it allows me to print from mobile devices using ePrint and AirPrint. So, I can print from my iPhone and/or iPad.

The screen on the button panel on the left side of the machine shows two numbers. This panel makes tasks easier, I can print from my smartphone via ePrint. I press the "wireless" button and it's ready to go. All of the wireless functions are very easy. There's a printable "how-to" page that gives a step-by-step explanation of how to print remotely. Find the 2540 All-in-One's wireless network on your smartphone or tablet, enter the password and hit print.

With the HP ePrint app installed on my iPad, the Deskjet 2540 automatically found photos or files, emails, and cloud services. Once you have your file, you just hit "print". The cartridges are in the front and come right out, they're easy to remove and replace. The printer is slow, but that is fine for my printing needs.

The scanner makes a fan noise every time you scan a document, but it's easy to use and includes a number of settings, such as resolution and size, depending on what type of document you're scanning. The brightness and contrast are adjustable, and you can rotate and crop.

For the money, this is an excellent printer for occasional family use. If you have a business or print a lot, look for another model.

Recommended. prisrob 11-27-13
33 comments| 216 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 30, 2013
Style: Printer|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
On a strictly physical level, the DJ 2540 more closely resembles the older style of HP Deskjet Printers. This printer looks (and feels) more expensive and of a higher quality than the list price here on Amazon would suggest. I was extremely disappointed with the durability and quality of my last few HP printers, all of which cost more than the DJ 2540.

There were no issues for me getting the DJ 2540 to work with Windows 7. Instead of using the included CD, I opted for the choice of installing online, which is the first time I've seen an HP printer set up this way, automatically taking me to the right place online, instead of me having to search for the files myself. The installation software was quite large and took nearly 45 minutes to download on a DSL internet connection, but the end result is you get everything you could possibly want as far as software and extras to use this printer to the maximum of its capabilities.

My primary intent is to use this printer for standard Microsoft Word documents without any graphics or photos, and the printer worked fine for this task. When I tested the DK 2540's photo printing quality, the results were the same as with my old HP printers. The images looked great, but printing photos quickly drained the ink cartridges. HP hasn't yet been able to provide a cheaper alternative to batching my photos and uploading them at one time to Target when I have enough to print. Within a few days an envelope shows up in the mail with all of my photos, and even when I have 50 or 60 images, it never costs me more than $10 for everything, and that includes the cost of shipping. The quality of the HP Photos is good but is still far more expensive (when you consider the cost of the ink cartridges) than just having the digital images printed at CVS or Target.

Another feature I really like is the interface with the scanner. That is, when I scanned a document, I had an immediate list of options. Do I want to send this in an email? (I couldn't use that feature because I no longer use Microsoft Outlook), Do you want to save this and file it?, etc. Saving and filing meant saving the document as a .PDF file, Adobe Reader format, and printing this scanned image was quick and simple.
0Comment| 112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Style: Printer|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I work from home, and have long used either a Brother or Canon laser printer as my "workhorse": they handle large quantities of stuff rapidly and efficiently (although I wince at the toner costs...)

I was looking for a backup printer, and one that was able to print in color, and this fits the bill. By no standards would this replace a laser printer, in part because it's relatively slow. But as others have noted, its footprint is pretty tiny relative to other models I have studied, and when I need something printed in color, it does the job. The wireless networking ability -- which works just as I would expect it to, with a straightforward setup -- is a plus, as I can tuck it away when I'm not using it.

The scanning/copying function on this is actually superior to the one on my current multi-function laser printer, which is a bonus. The image is crisper. The only downside is that the hinges don't accommodate anything more than single pages very well. So be it; not a dealbreaker for this kind of printer.

The only major annoyance of this printer, given its functions, price range, etc., is the paper feed. This, I am coming to believe, is a problem with many HP printers and I've labeled it the Curse of the Paper Jam. Over time, it has caused me to avoid HPs as my primary printers; when paper jams become so frequent that I find myself spending 30/40 minutes a day fixing them, it's unbelievably unproductive. To minimize paper jams with this one, I find myself adding the minimum number of pages required, because even with the new design, jams are still an issue. The input tray is said to hold 60 sheets of paper; I found limiting it to 20 or so was less likely to result in a problem. A new issue with this design, seemingly, is a finicky process for inserting the ink cartridge, compared to what once was a simple, easy-to-locate spot.

I'm not sure I'd want to rely on this printer for photos. It has a single color cartridge, rather than the 4 or more separate ones in HP's PhotoSmart printer line, and the results are pretty much what you'd expect. If you want to print quality photos, this isn't something you should be looking at. On the other hand, if you're looking for a simple, plain vanilla printer that's mobile and easily networked to multiple devices, this is a good starting point.
11 comment| 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2014
I finally quit using Epson printers that I've used for design/painting many years. The expense of
the ink refills for Epson printers became too expensive ($80 to replace both b/w and three color). I used
reman inks for awhile until the Epson printer refused to work with them any longer (and several 'fixes'
from Epson help center didn't fix the problem). Before I bought my current printer I did a days worth
of research on ink price and printer performance and I couldn't be happier with this affordable little printer!

I've had NO paper jams or problems scanning (there's no scan button, simply open the printer in your control
panel and choose the scan option).

The noise is no problem. Printing/scanning is a simple process w/o so many darn options and menus.

Best of all is this...two weeks ago I got a message that the color inks were getting low. I kept using it and
it still delivered color prints...if at a slightly lower quality. The black copies (text) continued at the same
quality. My old Epson quit copying altogether when even ONE color ink was low or out. What a racket!
I'm so happy I tossed that ink hungry monster!

I've had none of the problems mentioned in the feedback here. I wish I could give it 10 stars! This printer
works fine for my needs as an artist.
on October 14, 2013
Was looking for a small airprinter that would fit neatly in a tiny space and allow printing school papers, letters, etc. from my computer and all my portable devices. This printer does it just fine.
on February 7, 2014
Yes, it's an HP printer. Beware. It's a Region 2 (Mexico) configuration. Shown by the D in the Model number and the Advantage Ink clearly labeled. I did not know that when the demo ink runs out YOU CANNOT GET THE INK IN THE U.S. HP cannot reset the Region on it. After 150 pages, you will have a JUNK printer. Keep you money. Tri net Pricing is running a scam. Unless, of course you are in Mexico.

BTW the printer is a good printer. Just not for use in the U.S.

Resolution: After two weeks of mindless wasted time on tech support, HP finally agreed to replace it with a Region 1 Printer.

Save you money. Buy at Staples. Stay away from this fraudster.
on March 6, 2014
I purchased the HP 2540 and was never so disappointment in my life. It will print my word processing. It will not print anything from the internet. I cannot print a return label to return the printer. If you call the HELP line, you will get a person from India and he will try to sell you a repair package--the lowest price is $100.00. I have never had a problem installing a HP printer before.
55 comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 17, 2014
After using this printer for six months, I am downgrading my original review. The ink cartridges that I bought from HP only last one month. My old HP printer ink lasted five months. It gets worse. I eventually started to refill my own cartridges on my old HP with no problem. Incredibly, the new printers will not let you use a refilled cartridge... even though it is the cartridge you just bought from them last month! After hours of frustration, I finally beat the greedy HP system. You can eliminate and cancel out the HP block labeled 'INCOMPATIBLE CARTRIDGE' on refilled cartridges. 1)Go to the control panel. 2) Go to 'Hardware and Sound' 3)Go to 'Devices and Printers' 4)Click on your HP printer 5)Click on "Customize Printer Properties" 6)Click on 'Ports' 7)Uncheck the box labeled "Enable bidirectional support"........HP has installed some sort of time-stamp or a counter in order to detect when a cartridge is reused. The printer may have some sort of internal battery to support this. You may have to unplug the printer entirely to make changes. With patience, you can defeat the extreme avarice of HP. Or, simply buy a printer from a smaller company whose reviews don't show these hurdles.

(First Review - I bought this to replace an HP printer that lasted fantastically for 14 years. This printer is adequately fast. The print is of high quality. It seems sturdy enough. After two weeks, the wireless feature stopped working. Since my computer is right next to the computer, I simply hooked it up by the cable. I didn't bother to try to reinstall the wireless, so I don't know if this was just a glitch. INK IS A BIG PROBLEM!My old HP printer lasted approximately five months on one black ink cartridge. This ink cartridge lasted only one month. HP also makes it extremely difficult to buy used refilled cartridges.)
on June 1, 2014
If I could give this printer ZERO stars I would, I bought this printer at Best Buy and will forever regret it.

This thing constantly has issues with connectivity, whether it's USB or wireless. I wasted $35.00 worth of ink trying to print pictures that kept coming out half printed, the only error message it gave was "Could not print full page" no reason and no fix.

It constantly loses connection to the scanner so it asks to unplug everything and restart.

Constant issues with paper as well, where it says "Out of Paper", but the tray is full of paper, so I have to get up and lift and re-insert the pack of paper back into the tray.

Another negative is that I put in a full color ink cartridge, after printing of those "half pcitures" since it never did print a whole pic, more than half the color ink is gone, so basically it costs about $17 to print 3 half pictures, total waste of money.

And, to make matters worse there are constant upsell offers from HP to buy more of their stuff or affiliate stuff.

Total waste of money, my 5 year old Epson is a much better machine, and I will stick with them from now on.