4.0 out of 5 stars Big step UP from my netbook
Published 21 months ago by AZ Doug

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed - product not equiped as advertised.
Published 18 months ago by Joyce

4.0 out of 5 stars Big step UP from my netbook, October 25, 2012
This review is from: HP DM1-3010NR Verizon 4G Netbook -320 GB HDD, 2GB RAM, Windows 7, 11.6' Screen (Personal Computers)
Edit 12/9/12 Edit 11/5/12 I purchased this item to replace an Atom N270 powered 10" netbook and can truthfully say it is a giant step up in terms of performance, keyboard size and screen size. I don't expect to use the 3G/4G radios, or Bluetooth, but to my complete surprise, there is a REAL GPS receiver included in the LTE adaptor that works with the HP navigator software that comes with it. It also provides GPS data to 3 old Delorme mapping programs that I installed (Street Atlas, Map'n'Go and TOPO 7.0). The GPS data includes position only; elevation data is not available on the three Delorme programs I have, or the HP program.

The HP Navigator program has a good map set and a very good POI database, so if you don't have smartphone web access, you can use the program and the GPS to find POIs where you are located as well as navigation to a destination. The HP Navigator program doesn't seem to be available any more, and after the trial period, I thought it might quit working, but that doesn't seem to be the case, and I've had it since August. [It still works with the Win8 upgrade]

[NEW T Mobile is currently offering a 4G USB adapter at a good price for pay-as-you-go data service with fixed data/time passes. It is easy to use. I also ordered a SIM from T Mobile, which I HOPE will work in the dm1 (there is a SIM slot under the battery). The T Mobile SIM didn't work with the Novatel E362 radio in the dm1. With the firmware supplied, it is tuned to the Verizon network. If I knew anything about cell stuff, I probably wouldn't have bothered. Anyway, If you can hack a driver, maybe it could work.

The DM1-3010NR comes with a 7200 RPM HD that gives improved performance over the 5400 RPM drives that are customarily shipped with LTs. I replaced the HD with an SSD; The battery life probably improved and also the performance, but I have never run the battery down completely, so I don't know how much better it is. I know it made a significant difference in my old netbook.

I believe this qualifies as a new PC sale as far as Microsoft is concerned and you should be able to get Windows 8 for a limited time for $15. Mine was new and I bought the upgrade for $15. I installed it on another PC. I dual booted my DM1 with Win8RP and it works OK, but so far, I've had trouble getting complete drivers for the LTE adapter. There is one driver that will not register. The GPS sort-of works, but I really haven't put the time or effort into trying to solve the radio problem. Since I don't use it with 3G/4G I might not need to.
The $15 Win 8 offer doesn't have to be used on the qualifying PC, So far, I haven't found out how to extract programs from the Recovery partition so I can install them on another OS. About the only thing I would want is the HP navigator program, but that could be important for some folks.

[NEW After using Win 8 on other machines for a while, I decided to upgrade the dm1 to Win8, and I'm glad I did. Now, regardless of what you might have heard, Win8 is a giant step up from Win7 in both security and performance. It takes less resources, so that in itself gives the machine a boost. The only negative from my perspective is that it's DIFFERENT, and that seems to be a show-stopper with a lot of people with a lot less years than my 70+. Besides getting a better OS, Win8 solves the problem of getting apps to work after the change. There was a problem with the GPS, because the com port it used got changed in the shuffle, but it didn't take much to straighten that out. Now, all the apps I have used work fine under Win 8 and booting and performance are better. I did add another 2G of memory using the empty slot. It's hard to see that made a difference, but for LT $15..... NEW]

There are a lot of HP installed programs that you might not want, but they can be removed as desired. The HD is 320G, so there is still a lot of room even if you do nothing. On a small SSD, that is another matter.

One thing worth mentioning is that the cooling scheme of the DM1 does not include vents on the bottom of the LT, so you can place it in your lap or a pillow and it won't cause it to overheat as other designs can. I don't know where the air enters, maybe around the keyboard, but there are no visible intake air vents (unless part of the exhaust vent is also an intake). Mine gets operated in some mighty warm environments, and there has not been a sign of heat stress.

This version of the DM1 has a touchpad that had received some negative reviews. Like other reviewers, I found that it sometimes seems to have a mind of its own and can barely be controlled. It doesn't happen often; perhaps there is a combo of operating conditions that cause it to act up. I still have a few different drivers and one person's fix to try. It is at the nuisance level at this time. The touchpad is the only reason I didn't give it 5 stars. Edit 11/19. Synaptics has a new generic touchpad driver that SEEMS to have corrected the loss of control that happened occasionally [It didn't correct the problem; it's a nuisance that can only be corrected by rebooting, although it is still usable once it goes wacky, but you have to use two fingers to keep the cursor anchored from flying off to the right].

All in all, I am very happy with the DM1. It goes traveling with us and our 15" LT stays home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice netbook, December 6, 2012
Goes 6 hours on battery, blue tooth works well and very responsive. Great buy at the price. 10 hours battery would be nice, but 6 is good. It meets my needs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy with purchase so far, March 21, 2013
I wanted a small, light, Win7 OS PC which are now (Feb 2013), extremely hard to get.
Torn packaging inside box indicated this PC has been used at least once, but PC appears new without scratches and so far it is working fine.
Vendor came through with quick delivery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice machine, February 16, 2013
Sharon C. Draper (Universal City, TX USA) - See all my reviews
I got this to replace my little HP Netbook that was on its last legs. I like the slightly larger keyboard and that it has Windows 7 (my old one was XP and not upgradeable). I didn't appreciate being notified by HP that the warrenty expired befor I ever bought the thing and need to call HP to find out what that's all about. But as for performance, it serves my purpose well (mostly for social contact, email, IM, etc,) and is still small enough to carry in my tote bag on flights. I don't have a Verizon account so haven't needed or used the Verizon internet feature, but I can see how this would be a huge plus for a business traveler.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Mini Size, January 20, 2013
Everything I expected except it's a little slow. Only 3 lbs and the keyboard is almost regular size. Just right.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed - product not equiped as advertised., January 19, 2013
Product was supposed to come with Windows 7, however, it only has Windows 7 STARTER. I purchased this for my daughter to learn on and use for school but it doesn't have excel or powerpoint in the starter version. I even contacted Amazon prior to purchasing to confirm that Windows 7 full came loaded on the device. It even says Windows 7 in the title above. I'm very disappointed and feel deceived. I feel I should be given the windows 7 full version or a code to get it from Microsoft to download on the device or a refund so I can purchase this software from a local retailer. If Amazon has tech support to fix this, that would be nice. If it wasn't for this problem, I would love it. Unfortunately, half of my product purchases from Amazon have had problems and I'm considering not buying from Amazon any more!

5.0 out of 5 stars love my netbook, January 16, 2013
This netbook is exactly what i needed, small and portable, and it meshes nicely with all my verizon tech. With my mobile hotspot, i can trully be mobile. HP continues to be top of the line.

5.0 out of 5 stars so far so good, January 7, 2013
It will take a while to disable all the come-on/scamware software that is preloaded. Don't sign up for anything.

I have used Windows 7 before, but just realized that some software that I wrote and compiled years ago will no longer run on this version of Microsoft. I put an $8 mouse on it from WalMart, and It is a nice computer.

The screen is a little small and difficult to read some text. I like that it has 2GB RAM - I want to load a graphics system on it, and hope the graphics card is compatible. I plan to use it for presentations.

No operating disk was included, so I guess you need a disk imaging solution, or buy your own operating system disk for backups, etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good machine for the price, January 1, 2013
Don't expect a blazing fast machine. I put in 8 gigs of memory and that helped a lot, but even with the standard 3 gigs it's an OK machine for email and surfing. A nice netbook for the price as long as you're not looking for heavy duty speed.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT little large tablet/small laptop, December 31, 2012
I've had this for only a short while,but I am VERY happy with it and glad I bought it. I did have to spend a lot of time updating Win 7,though. IIRC,it needed 96 updates after turning it on and installing Zone Alarm for their firewall and virus protection.

My old HP is a laptop around 5 years old now,and it is still working perfectly despite being used to much some of the paint is worn off the keyboard keys. I see no reason for this one not lasting as good as the old laptop.

Rate and Discover Movies