Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it blink-182 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 5, 2011
I don't think HP even makes these anymore, but this printer worked just fine out of the box for me, and as often as I need to print stuff (which isn't very often) it does everything I need it to. If you want network/wireless or fax/copy or fancy touch screens on your printer, this one isn't for you. But if you need the cheapest printer that prints and scans decently enough on 8.5 x 11 or smaller, has only 4 buttons, and cartridges a monkey could replace, this is your printer. You definitely get more features on more expensive models, but buying this printer cost me less then replacing the ink in my old printer and the cartridges for this one are less expensive as well. I wrote this because I saw people giving this printer bum reviews because it didn't support Linux out of the box and other such nonsense, so I thought I'd stick up for this little guy. It's simple to use, it works. Can't ask for more from a $20 printer.
44 comments|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 20, 2010
The printer works just fine.. You get what you pay for. It is a low-cost printer and it will print high quality photos and documents. If you want more features such as wireless, fax, etc. plan to pay more. I am using my printer at home and will occationally take it to our second home.

In my opinion, the photo quality, colors, are better than most of HP's competitors. Be sure to use the photo paper that came with the printer.
on February 7, 2011
Bought mine at Target. Super cheap. Works great! No problems with it so far. I use it for business. I'm actually buying a second one right now, since it works so great and the replacement ink cartridges are cheaper than most other printers. Bonus!
on October 21, 2010
I bought mine at Target for [...], great deal. Got it home, did install step by step and after step 6 installing the cartridges, close door, wait for it to self align, I got error lights for paper jam and low or no ink. Tried to reset several times, off and on, nothing worked. Looked at handy info with it and it said make sure you have all tape and cardboard off printer and printer cartridges, duh, not stupid did that already. But I checked again. Finally gave up and took back to Target to exchange. They had someone from their electronics area come over to confirm and he said oh you have to take all the tape off etc, so he checked, plugged it in at service area, and confirmed it didn't work. So I got the exchange, last one on the shelf and went home.

Exact same problem with this one !!! So I finally gave up and called tech support. First clue that might not work was when he asked if I was calling from India... err United States or Canada. When I gave him the model # he said sir that's a fax machine I'll have to transfer you. No it's not a fax, in fact that's the one thing it does NOT do, it's a printer/copier/scanner, no fax. He finally decided I was right and had me check.. wait for it.. that all the tape was off. He decided to then escalate me to level 2 service. 10 minutes later on came someone who asked me to plug it into a wall not a powerstrip/surge protector. That didn't work, power it off and wait a minute, that didn't work. Take out cartridges, turn off, wait a minute, put cartridges back in that didn't work. He finally said it's a hardware error with that model, let me get my manager and he'll help you decide what model you should upgrade to.

Huh? I have now spent 90+ minutes counting trips to Target etc and you think when I return it I'm going to get another HP? He told me not to take it back to Target first, wait for my manager maybe he can devise a solution. I said what is he going to do that you can't? I don't know sir.I said the next model up at Target was 99 bucks
unless your manager can get Target in Sunnyvale, CA to give me that for 38.88, I'm not interested. He again said wait for my manager and I said no I am returning the stupid printer, and hung up.

Took it back to Target. This time the manager of electronics came over to check, surely he can get it to work right? Nope, he too agrees it is defective you did everything right. So I exchanged for the Lexmark 2670, cost me
an additional 12 cents, big whoop. Installed perfectly and worked right away.
88 comments|65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 11, 2011
I got this all-in-one for a great price in a back to school sale. I have had it for about two weeks now and it's working great. The first one I purchased had a shattered glass screen (for the scanner) so I had to exchange it, but the new one installed in seconds and works perfectly. I've never had a scanner before so I'm getting the hang of that feature, but I have scanned over 100 pictures and documents so far and they all look great. The ink that came with the printer has lasted us quite longer than other starter ink packs have done in the past. I would recommend this printer for anyone who would use it for general home use.
on December 1, 2011
I bought this @ Target on sale for about 1/2 what they are selling for here. Granted, I did not expect much, for what I paid. Looked chintzy, lightweight, plastic, except for glass scanning bed. Loaded the software and the testing began. I scan many items ( I mean many items) and that is the principal use for this unit. I was amazed that it scanned to .pdf files right off the bat. Many do not, like Epsons, Lexmarks and some others. It has a nicely laid out software interface and scanning was a breeze! Tried out the printer with test page and calibrations, not bad, but a little slow. I printed some graphics and, low and behold, not bad either! I work all over the US doing contract work, so this little jewel comes with me. I have had this unit for approx. 6 months and it has turned out to be one of my better investments! I do not know or can I address how long the cartridges last or how much they cost. It has been a perfect traveling companion for me.

PROS:

1. Easy set-up
2. Well laid out software ( user friendly and has .PDF capability)
3. Prints well, text and graphics
4. Lightweight, travels easily, without ink spills (have had this happen with others)
5. Inexpensive, for all that it does

CONS:

1. looks cheap, feels fragile ( however, see #4 above)
2. little slow printing (but, faster and easier than some others that I have employed)

I am happy with it's performance and have had NO issues with it's performance, so, that said, I give it 5 stars for the price paid, performance, software, durability (so far) and .PDF capabilities. Had an HP multifunction some years ago that I paid far more for, which was clunky, terrible software, no .pdf ability and expensive in time and ink to operate. They have come around 180 degrees (not quite 360). It is rare that I give any product 5 stars, but in this case, I am swayed to do so.
on November 11, 2010
I bought mine at Target because another printer of mine crapped out. After I took the printer home, I plugged it in, loaded the cartridges, and installed the software. I had no problems whatsoever.

The printer came with an eco-friendly bag, which was a very nice touch. I may need to transport my printer now and then, so kudos! This printer is designed to be for home use, so don't expect it to do tons of fancy stuff in the office. It's good for what it is.

Affordable, quick, easy, and does the job fine.
on December 30, 2010
Fast setup and very much worth the price. Bought it for My Mother who is elderly and the easr of use is great for her.
If I didn't already have an HP with a FAX , I would buy myself one.
on August 30, 2011
I picked up the HP1055 at Wal-Mart for less than 25 bucks. I have ALWAYS used Cannon for over 15 years with no problems. This HP started out working great but after only 2 weeks, I started having issues with the print cartridges. I have tried refurb ink and OEM HP ink and it is still giving me problems. One brand new cartridge was dead out of the box. Two brand new black cartridges have died after 10 pages.

HP definitely gets their money back from ink. I wouldn't suggest buying this printer, however, if the price is hard to pass up for you, beware you MAY be buying ink every week.
on May 3, 2012
Bought this to replace a similar HP model printer I bought 3 years ago. It printed great and 3 years for $30 is OK by me. I could print with cheap generic ink cartridges even though it told me I was empty. This model works just as well except it WILL NOT let you print with generic refill ink cartridges that you can buy on-line. If it doesn't read it as an authentic new HP cartridge, an error message comes up and there's no sensible way around it (search on-line for an answer). HP sells a standard cartridge and an XL cartridge. I remember asking the guy at staples what's up with the XL cartridge. He said, "It's got twice as much ink in it." I said, "What is it, a bigger cartridge? Will it fit?" He said, "It's the exact same size cartridge." I said, "How can they fit twice as much ink in the same size cartridge?" That's when I learned the dirty HP secret. They only fill the standard size halfway. A retail HP XL black cartridge will cost you almost as much as this printer.