5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite printer I've ever owned!
Published on September 8, 2009 by Mara Robinson

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a Fan of the HP (my second HP)
I ditched my HP printer and bought a Canon instead and I couldn't be happier with my choice.

I'm giving the HP two stars, not one, because it is in many ways a good machine. It is quiet and the copies look good. I was somewhat happy with it. BUT THESE HP PRINTERS USE INK LIKE CRAZY. They are a ripoff.

The Canon system is MUCH better. The...
Published on September 23, 2009 by BrooklynBen

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a Fan of the HP (my second HP), September 23, 2009
This review is from: HP Deskjet F4480 Inkjet All-in-One Printer (CB745A#B1H) (Office Product)

The Canon system is MUCH better. The cartridges come full and are translucent so you can see the ink in them and watch it run out. They last about 1.5 - 2 months each at my rate of printing (fairly heavy home office usage, as I run a consulting business).

The HP cartridges keep getting weaker and weaker. They hardly put any ink in them, so I have to buy them in bulk at Costco and replace them every 3-4 weeks. And you can't see inside them, so HP seems to reduce the ink that each cartridge holds but won't tell you this. Even more amusing -- every time you change a cartridge, the printer goes through an elaborate routine of printing "test pages," using up YET MORE INK. You cannot stop these test pages or they print again as soon as you turn the machine back on.

What we *do* know is that HP is charging more for their ink per ounce than you would pay for gasoline, Dom Perignon champagne, or virtually any other fluid on earth.

This is their business decision to make. Every company seems to want a subscription model now and I guess HP has decided to sell cheap printers and then make a living off of high-margin ink. But I will pay off the cost of my new Canon in less than a year just by buying less ink. After that it is all profit to me.

And the Canon PIXMA is better for the environment and for my sanity. Plus it works great and the copies and photos look just as good as the HP.

Ben

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite printer I've ever owned!, September 8, 2009
Mara Robinson (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I just bought this 1 month ago, and there are clearly more perks than I am currently taking advantage of. Here are the ones I'm already loving. It's a color printer that allows pure black and white printing. (My old ones only did grayscale wasting lots of colored ink. I can print 6 slides per page, and all printing can be double sided, even multiple pages per side! Amazing paper saving options. Also, a very helpful automatic on-screen error guide. This is just the beginning of what this printer has to offer. To me, it is worth much more than its price!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great printer, August 7, 2009
Grand Shopper (Corpus Christi, TX) - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace an HP PSC 1350 that stopped working. The F4480 arrived; and works perfectly with my MAC OS X. I did buy a new USB cable. It didn't come with one; and I was right to do so. The new printer would not work with the old USB cable. Must have been a bad USB cable. They do wear out. And the ink for this printer is very reasonable and only uses two cartridges.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted, October 13, 2009
After much research (thanks Amazon reviewers), I settled upon this printer. I am not disappointed. Following the enclosed instructions was easy and quickly I was printing out my documents (mostly light office use). I haven't used the scanner but the copier is good. Once I figured out that the blue or black buttons designate whether your copying in color or black, it was a cinch! Yes, the printer does power down with no use, but I knew this from the reviews so I just hit the 'on' button again and away we go! I am very pleased with the printer. Oh, and since another reviewer mentioned the USB cable I purchased one of those when I bought the printer. HP products continue to surpass the competition.

4.0 out of 5 stars cheaper than new cartridges, August 20, 2009
I bought a nice Epson printer for $15 at a garage sale. It wouldn't work at all because the magenta cartridge was empty. In the Epson, all the cartridges had to have some ink in order for it to work at all (even though the black seemed full). So, I was going to buy all four cartridges as a set for $60 plus dollars, but in the store I spied the HP printer with both black and color cartridges for only $62 on sale (plus tax of course) which seemed a better buy than dealing with the Epson problem again, and the HP will print only in black, so if the color runs out - not a problem. I did already have the USB cable, so that wasn't a problem either. HP also has longer lasting XL cartridges for this which will save replacing the cartridge so often. The XL cartridge is about $30, but worth it, I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well enough for me, September 29, 2009
SHIPMENT: typical for free shipping (few days,,not too bad for free), retail box was the packaging (arrived safely though)

SETUP: no usb cable included but I used my old hp usb (usb head at one end and the other is more square with rounded corners on the top, 1/4" x 1/4" or so, if u need to go get one brfore your printer arrives), follow the quick setup sheet (it's easy/short, I'm not much for instructions but glad ?I read them), I have an older pc but the disk setup took some 20 minutes or so with a restart too.

PRINT QUALITY/SPEED: moderare speed, good quality text printing, will post follow-up when I print pics, also will post when I find out how long the inks last (I am skeptical about them, little and light cartridges)

RECOMMEND: at this point, yes...you won't find it cheaper retail

4.0 out of 5 stars Great all around printer, November 4, 2009
I work for the government and was tasked to find a printer that was not only in the government catalogue but also met specific needs. I wanted a scanner printer that would scan a file directly to the desktop and was also a bottom sheet feeder.
While the option to scan documents directly to the desktop had to be set up within the software and even though it took some fiddling around to do, it is possible and works very well. Everything I scan goes from the scanner to a file on the desktop labeled by the month. So, once I go to the first of a new month, I move last month's file with all the scanned documents to a storage drive and I'm ready for a new month.
The software is very flexible in this regard and each shortcut key on the printer can be tweaked. For example the scan button can be programed to default to either PDF or TIF. It will label each scan to whatever you like, etc.
The bottom feeder was important to me since who hasn't struggled with loading a pile of paper into a rear feeding printer and having it not grab properly in the back? So that was my personal preference, not something specific to my work requirements.
Other than that, the print quality is as good as any and it is EXTREMELY quick to print on draft mode. The reason I gave it 4 stars and not 5 is because it goes through ink pretty quikly. In shopping around I find that the XL cartridge for this printer lasts 3 times as long as the stock cartridge but lasts 3 times as long. I've ordered the XL for replacements but have yet to try it so I don't know if that holds true.
Overall I'm pleased with my choice of this printer for my needs and circumstances.

5.0 out of 5 stars Save Ink, November 23, 2009
This is a fine printer-copier-scanner. It replaced my old HP which finally died after years of good service. The one addition in this printer that I really like and did not have in my old printer is that I can now print in black only if I want to, thus saving the cost of replacing the color cartridge as often. This can save a lot of money over time. Speaking of saving money, the price of this excellent printer is very reasonable!

I highly recommend this HP printer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Fine Printer From HP..., November 5, 2009
The HP DeskJet F4480 Inkjet All-in-One Printer is a great inexpensive quality printer for the casual pc printer user. The best thing about this printer is it works great with Windows 7...

The only complaint is it doesn't come with a USB cable when bought new in the box, but I find this is commonplace with many HP printer models...

Another Fine Printer From HP...

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL PRINTER, September 12, 2009
PattyRy35 (Somerville, MA USA) - See all my reviews
THIS IS PROBABLY THE BEST PRINTER I'VE EVERY PURCHASED. I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW EASY THE SET UP WAS. THE INSTALLATION ONLY TOOK ABOUT 15 MINUTES TOTAL. I'VE TESTED THE PRINTING & IT'S PERFECT. THEN I TESTED THE SCANNING & ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIC. I'VE TESTED THE COPIER & IT WORKS WONDERFUL. THIS WILL BE THE BEST PURCHASE YOU'VE EVER MADE. I WILL ABSOLUTELY RECOMMEND TO ANYONE TO BUY THIS ONE. I AM GOING TO BUY ANOTHER ONE FOR MY MOM'S COMPUTER.