1,053 Reviews

Published on February 12, 2011 by S. West

1.0 out of 5 stars Printer good, ink bad
Published on April 8, 2011 by Tim

997 of 1,016 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars They're right, is really ISN'T so bad (but it ISN'T wireless capable)!, February 12, 2011
S. West "Foster mom" (Baltimore, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP Deskjet 1000 Printer (CH340A#B1H) (Office Product)
I bought this at "Wally World" for $29 last night as an emergeny solution to a problem. Had to get the meeting minutes printed and mistakenly thought that documents written on my laptop using MS Works would be easily transferrable to my desktop's Word. Wrong. Those b*s*t*r*ds. So out I ran at 10:30pm to Wally's expecting to pay at least $50 for something basic. Wrong again. For $29 I almost expected it to implode after the 80 pages I needed it to print. I even bought an extra cartridge assuming the one included would just barely make it through the test page. It actually comes with full regular cartridges which was a pleasant surprise. I then expected it to at least be noisy - it wasn't at all. Lastly, I expected slow. My plan was to send the files to the printer and then go to bed so it'd all be done by morning. Truthfully, my plan wouldn't have worked anyway since the input tray only holds 50 sheets (not a deal breaker at all) but it was spitting out the pages so quickly that I stood there in utter amazement. I should explain that it has been at least 10 years since I last owned an inkjet printer. Something must've happened to print speeds in the interim because I couldn't staple them as fast as they were shooting out! Delightful. And as far as the numerous complaints about the lack of USB cable? Puhlease. I have a shoebox full of them for some reason and would have been just as annoyed if I had had to pay for yet another one. (Why do I have so many? Maybe I have all of theirs?) As a bonus, it's small enough that I'm going to start bringing it with me to the meetings so I can just print off requested documents instead of trying to remember what everyone needs and e-mailing it to them later (yeah right). How well will it deal with being lugged around? At $29 if it lasts 6 months I'll be happy. BTW, it comes with a weird tote bag as if they intend for you to lug it around. Hmmm....

Update - As of 8/6/11 the printer is still going strong. Still receives only light use (around 80 pages/month) but works the same as the day I bought it. No regrets. If it breaks anytime soon I'll be replacing it with the same model. Everything else I've seen is too bulky to be carried around.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple to install; easy to use, November 21, 2010
This review is from: HP Deskjet 1000 Printer (CH340A#B1H) (Office Product)
I like equipment that is inexpensive, reliable, and simple to operate. This printer meets all three requirements. Despite my technophobia I had no trouble installing it, and it has never once misfired during the weeks I have been using it. For anyone who, like me, prefers a printer with no bells and whistles this one is perfect. And besides all that, it's small enough to fit on a shelf that's just 12 inches from back to front.

5.0 out of 5 stars The little engine that could, February 19, 2011
This review is from: HP Deskjet 1000 Printer (CH340A#B1H) (Office Product)
This little printer is a cinch to set up and the quality of the graphics it produces is excellent. You cannot control the color nuances as is possible in more expensive models, but it doesn't matter. I am an artist and very persnickety and I am very happy with this model. It even comes with a black tote bag saying "HP Ecosolutions" on it. The printer also comes with a double supply of ink for both color and black: 61/61 XL. What more could you ask for?

P.S. Virtually no printers come with a USB connection cord. Hopefully you'll have one from a previous printer. They retail for $20.00 at Wal-mart.

P.P.S.Several people have complained that the printer often says it's out of paper when it isn't. The directions tell you how to remedy this situation. Poke the paper down as far as it will go, then press the start button ONCE. Works like a charm!

P.P.P.S.My printer is now just over one year old and it works as well as the day I bought it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Printer, October 26, 2010
Fred Mealio (Perrin, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP Deskjet 1000 Printer (CH340A#B1H) (Office Product)
I purchased this as a gift and it is working very well, easy to set up, the only bad thing is that it didn't include a USB cable but for the price this is understandable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, February 13, 2011
This review is from: HP Deskjet 1000 Printer (CH340A#B1H) (Office Product)
I purchased this printo replace one the i nocked of the table. This printer has great output. Much better than anything else in its price range. And the ink is not to expensive either. Good one HP

4.0 out of 5 stars Hey, it isn't so bad., November 10, 2010
Jerry W. ODELL (Ypsilanti, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP Deskjet 1000 Printer (CH340A#B1H) (Office Product)
My old Lexmark $40 printer recently died after about 1-1/2 years. I mainly use a laser printer, and figured the squirtjet cartridges wouldn't last. But they did.

So, off I went to get a new printer. I went through 4 of them. 2 were DOA,
one skewed the paper so that it jammed, another worked for about 1 day and died. Most of these were all-in-one printers.

So I decided to try a really cheap printer, and the HP 1000 filled the bill. It worked the first time I tried it, and I still find it working after 2 days.

A pox on printer manufacturers, save HP (and I even found one of them that didn't work in my adventures).

It's a decent printer. It doesn't use 6 cartridges, I never do photos, and so on. Now if they could just get the ink prices down!

Jerry O'Dell

4.0 out of 5 stars CAUTION!!!, May 6, 2011
This review is from: HP Deskjet 1000 Printer (CH340A#B1H) (Office Product)
Nothing wrong with this printer at all! It's super cheap (doesnt look it) and works fine for 90% of what most folks need a printer for, including ok for not too-large color prints, just not as high fidelity or have all the bells and whistles as the more expensive printers offer.

So why the caution? Just to get your attention so you don't make the same mistake I did...failing to make sure it would be compatible with my recipient's operating system first. When I ordered the printer, I didn't realize printers were all that selective on their driver needs (my duh) so hadn't even bothered to check that aspect (one that Amazon hadn't advertised well either). Turned out this printer will only work with Window OSs XP or higher, and only after it wouldn't work did I discover that my dear old SIL was still running Win98SE! Too late to return it as my dumb oversight doesn't qualify for refund of the shipping charges, so it doesn't make sense to return the product (vs finding someone or a charity that could use it). Make me an offer! LOL

Sooo...before buying ANY printer, be sure to check out its compatibility with the operating system that it's intended to work with!

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect dorm room printer, January 15, 2011
This review is from: HP Deskjet 1000 Printer (CH340A#B1H) (Office Product)
This printer is fairly small and prints great. I primarily need it for college papers, and it prints them quickly and flawlessly. I wouldn't want to try printing a high quality photo on it or anything, but it's a really a great printer at a great price. Fits up on a shelf in my dorm without taking up too much space.

1.0 out of 5 stars Printer good, ink bad, April 8, 2011
This review is from: HP Deskjet 1000 Printer (CH340A#B1H) (Office Product)
The printer prints excptionaly well for a low price printer. The problem is the replacement ink cartridges cost nearly as much as the printer. I paid $24 for the printer and the ink is $14. The other thing about the ink is that it printed less than 100 pages. I print the same docs with my Canon printer and get between 375-400 pages. Canon ink, $2.50, HP ink $14. What was I thinking?

1.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, August 30, 2011
This review is from: HP Deskjet 1000 Printer (CH340A#B1H) (Office Product)
When I first bought this printer, I would have given it 5 stars. It worked great. I was impressed with the print quality. It was a great price. However, one week after the 90 day warranty expired, the printer quit working. We hadn't printed anymore than 75-100 pages. I installed the printer on my sister's computer to make sure it wasn't the computer causing the problem. I replaced the cable to see if that was the problem. I ran troubleshooters to try to solve the problem. I still have a non-working printer and I won't buy an HP product again.

HP Deskjet 1000 Printer (CH340A#B1H)
$105.89