4.0 out of 5 stars Nice... with a few sticking points.
At the end of the day performance is the most important measure of success to me and this machine lives up to expectations here - its definately snappy. In regards to games, I've installed Dragon Age, Borderlands, Crysis - all run great at maximum settings. I'm confident this machine will handle my gaming needs for the next couple of years.

Nice fit and finish...
Published on July 12, 2010 by zakkb@AWS

2.0 out of 5 stars HP Envy
Published on October 1, 2010 by LJ

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice... with a few sticking points., July 12, 2010
This review is from: HP ENVY 17-1011NR 17.3-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)

Nice fit and finish. Lots of metal bits and overall solid feel. Its not exactly light but for a 17" its respectable. It looks good enough to leave out when company is over. I had some concern buying site unseen because I know the previous envy models didn't quite deliver in this are - but I think overall this version meets the bar. Its not a mac book - but it gets pretty close.

Battery life has been good so far - the extra 9 volt battery is an awesome bonus.

It does have a blu ray drive.

The screen is beautiful - super clear, detailed and bright.

So in the two primary areas that drove me to purchase this vs. other 17" gaming machines - performance and aesthetic - this machine delivers.

I have a few usability complaints though..

The mouse pad. The problem here is that the click buttons are also part of the touch bad - so when go to click on things your clicking finger will move the cursor. This happens often enough to be very frustrating.. maybe a patch will come out that will address. In the meantime I've been having to plug in an external mouse because I can't take it.

The PC does something strange when it sleeps - when you open the lid it will resume but the screen doesn't come back so you have to open and close the lid once again and that will make the screen turn on. Not a big deal but a bug that bothers me. And the lid is a bit of pain to open - no real place to get a good grip and its tight and heavy. Its more like prying it open rather than the nice smooth lid opening experience of the mac book.

Too much cluttering software pre installed and Windows disk not included making a clean install difficult.

The Beats audio is not that exciting - but i didn't expect it to be. Sounds like a laptop to me at the end of the day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Value + Style + Power available, July 14, 2010
Amazon Customer (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP ENVY 17-1011NR 17.3-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
I'll be honest that a laptop from HP was far from my first choice. At the end of the day it was half the price of Apple and Alienware and way more stylish and feature packed than the Asus stealth fighter laptop. Every now and then I do want to transfer 10GB of movies and video's around so USB 3 and ESata ports in a desktop replacement laptop matter, something that Apple and Asus don't seem to care about. Heads up, this is a 17" but with 1920X1080 instead of 1920X1200 that you may have been used to before. This makes the laptop wider than my prior 17" Vaio I had owned... wide enough that it make the laptop feel massive. Enough so that I won't be carrying it around in a backpack anytime soon.

This unit ships with dual 320GB hard drives. First thing I did was order a SSD to replace the boot drive, so my experience is based on that modification. I ended up doing a fresh windows install so I never worried about bloat ware. Fortunately the installation files for everything short of the O/S were in a nice setup folder on the c:\ drive I replaced, so I can always re-install anything I may decide I want later.

At the end of the day this laptop is FAST. The windows experience index for the machine after the SSD upgrade is 7.0 which is good thing. Supreme Commander 2, Assassins Creed 2 both run with full detail at 60fps. There have been reports of unbearably hot palm rests and sub par quality on the assemblies. I had none of those issues. I'm gaming and surfing on a plain table (no cooler) and heat has not been an issue. In a quiet room I can hear the fan but typing the keys on the keyboard is louder.

The extras I like include the backlit keyboard, the status led lights on the mute and wireless function buttons, the led that lights up the RJ45 network jack when plugged in, the tiny led lights in the front left for power and harddrive activity, only having to remove 2 screws to replace the primary harddrive.

The only criticism would have to be the track pad. I've used a macbook with bootcamp and the gestures made more sense. Since the left and right "buttons" are simulated, the act of holding a "mouse" button down and dragging the mouse (when selecting text for instance) makes the mouse move in fits and jerks. I don't know if driver updates can ever fix that, but allowing us to simulate those interactions with just gestures (no physical clicks) would.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beauty and brains, August 13, 2010
Wossen Wyatt (Georgetown, Guyana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP ENVY 17-1011NR 17.3-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
I've been using this notebook for a few weeks and I'm very pleased with it overall. The system feels powerful and responsive but that power comes at the expense of cooling. Under heavy load the right side becomes very hot. Too hot to touch in fact and you can even feel the heat through keys like caps lock, tab and the left shift and ctrl. That's one of the few caveats of this system. The others are the lack of a FireWire port for capturing digital video and the lack of RAID support. Although the system uses two speedy Hitachi HTS725032A9A364 hard disks there's no option in the BIOS to create a RAID 0 or 1 array with the disks. In my opinion HP missed an opportunity there to squeeze a few more drops of performance out of the system with RAID 0.

Many reviewers have complained about the clickpad being quirky and annoying. HP has released an updated driver that fixes the problem and it's available on their web site. Once you install the update and familiarize yourself with the multi-touch gestures you realize they're very cool and convenient.

Oddly, HP has chosen to make the secondary controls of the function keys active by default. Meaning that if you press the key shared by F7 and volume down, the volume down control will be triggered. You need to press the fn key (between the ctrl and windows log keys on the bottom row) to trigger F7. This is truly annoying at first but a quick trip to the BIOS lets you change it back to the way it should be so the function keys are triggered by default and the fn key is only needed for the secondary controls like volume, screen brightness, wireless toggle, etc.

On the software side, unlike what the PDF specsheet states, this system does NOT come with Office 2007 trial or any other office productivity software pre-installed. The Corel video and image editors are present and accounted for but you'll either need to buy Office right away or install the free OpenOffice suite like I did.

Gaming is a pleasure on this system as you would expect. So far I've played Batman Arkham Asylum on it at 1920x1080 resolution with the quality settings turned all the way up and the game is beautifully detailed and frame rate is completely fluid. Of course the system gets hot as hell during gameplay, but such is life, I guess.

All things considered, I highly recommend the ENVY 17-1011NR to anyone who wants a powerful notebook.

2.0 out of 5 stars HP Envy, October 1, 2010
This review is from: HP ENVY 17-1011NR 17.3-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
Technically, this is one of the best laptops out there; which is why I purchased it. From my users standpoint, this is one of the worst laptops out there. First off, this thing gets HOT! After 30 years of being in the electronic repair business, I know heat and electronics don't mix well. I would expect this heat factor to reduce the overall longevity of this product. However, if you refrain from playing a game or watching movies, this laptop's temperature remains reasonable. Secondly, the touch pad is all but worthless. I updated the drivers but it still seems to have a mind of its own. Thirdly, the keyboard acts as if it had a virus or hot keys associated with it. There is no telling where the cursor will position itself from one keystroke to the next. Just typing this short review, I have had to correct the cursor position approximately ten times. Wish I would have sent this thing back but just too many things going on right now; looks like I'm stuck with it. I would not recommend this laptop for purchase at any price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Laptop!, October 12, 2010
This review is from: HP ENVY 17-1011NR 17.3-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
I was quite surprised with the packaging this laptop came in. The box is matte black and sturdy--leaving you with the idea that some people at HP are trying to make a statement. If you are giving this as a gift, the recipient will be quite impressed.

First thing I did after the 15-minute setup experience was to create the 5 backup DVDs. This takes 2-3 hours to complete. During that time I did notice the left side of the keyboard was warming up. It was really noticeable left of the trackpad, where my wrist was resting. I can tell that over time this will become a major annoyance, especially if I am taxing the processor. So, I am buying a laptop cooler. I spent the afternoon on the patio with the laptop sitting on a metal table with a lattice design, allowing air to access the bottom of the machine. This kept the left side of the trackpad much cooler.

The things you'll find in the box are two batteries and the power supply (brick). There is also a 2GB SD card. Plug that in and you'll be prompted to install the HP user manuals. No other cables or installation CDs.

One major disappointment is the lack of a 1394 port, which I use for my video camera. The up/down arrows are half-size--an unusual design concept--but they actually work just fine. The full size keyboard is one of the best I have ever used on ANY PC! The F10 key enables/disables the wireless connection.

This machine looks impressive. The case is aluminum in a steel gray color and shows no fingerprints. It has 4 USB ports, along with the others advertised. No dead pixels on the magnificent screen. I like the slide-in DVD tray design--no more hunting for the eject button which is at the upper right of the keyboard.

The Envy is quiet unless you are pushing the processor, then the fans will speed up and the heat level increases. My previous HP laptop had a screen size of 1920 X 1200, while this one is 1920 X 1080. I miss the extra screen height, but all manufacturers are going to a 16 X 9 format.

The reasons for purchasing this laptop were the processor speed, Bluetooth, Gigabit LAN and the USB 3.0/ESATA connections. I wanted a laptop that could process large video files and make my own DVDs. I'm not a fan of Windows 7 Home Premium so I installed Windows 7 Ultimate instead. It appears that the driver files on the hard drive were created on August 2010, but these files have a date of Jan/Feb 2010. As of this date (Oct. 12, 2010) the HP website has newer drivers for almost everything on the Envy. Windows 7 performance scores are all 7.0 or higher, except for the hard drives at 5.9. Installing a solid state disk (SSD) will bring the hard drive rating to 7.9.

I like the backlit keyboard--makes for easy navigation in the dark. A function key toggles it on/off. Another function key toggles the screen brightness up or down. I also purchased some additional items with the Envy: Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 Mac/Windows, Zalman ZM-NC2000Black Notebook Cooler (Black) and the Targus Deluxe Top-Loading Leather Case Designed for 17 Inch Laptops TLE400 Black). The keypad is somewhat of a nuisance. The two keys at the bottom of it are actually part of the whole keypad surface. Finding the keys by moving your finger to the keys causes the mouse to move off the point on the screen that you wish to click on. No other laptop I've ever had has shown this quirk.

Bottom line: If it had a 1394 port and a cooler surface (hard to find with a fast processor), I'd rate it a 5. But a 4 is not bad in the ever-changing world of electronics. And the Amazon price is $300-400 less than HP's website.

UPDATE: 11/17/2010
The heat level on the left side was fixed by purchasing the Zalman cooler. The Targus case holds everything (barely), including the cooler. The Bluetooth mouse works well except when the wireless LAN is running at full speed. Then the mouse locks up until the WLAN frees up. Apparently there is a single-thread chip driving the two processes. The F10 key turns both the WLAN and Bluetooth devices on/off. Using a Bluetooth mouse requires you to separately enable it in this instance.

I watched a 42-minute video last night while running on the 6-cell battery. At the end, there was 45% battery life remaining. A two-hour movie uses most the life of the 9-cell battery.

Prices should come down on this box as there is a 3D version now available from HP. Unless you really need a fast laptop, you might want to consider some of the cheaper HP versions available.

UPDATE: 06/21/2011 I replaced the 320GB boot drive with a Crucial CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 SSD. Here's how they compared using HD Tune Pro:

__________BEFORE________AFTER
Avg Seek__14.7 ms_______.231 ms
Reading____69.3 MB/sec___253.9 MB/sec
Writing_____not tested____138.4 MB/sec

The speeds are lower than advertised because the HP Envy has an SATA II controller. An SATA III version would be faster. My Windows Experience Index went from 5.9 to 7.7 for the primary hard drive.

Since my laptop came with two hard drives, I was fortunate to have the required mounting bracket.

I used Acronis Home 2010 to clone the drive.

Other Thoughts: My SSD came with firmware version 6. I read that others were having lockup/freeze problems so downloaded version 7 from the Crucial website. The download is in .ISO format so I used Nero to burn from the CD image. Since my HP cannot switch the SATA controller from ACHI to IDE mode (this is needed to install the firmware), I used an older laptop to perform the firmware update.

4.0 out of 5 stars The good, the bad, and the unavoidably H.P., August 30, 2010
This review is from: HP ENVY 17-1011NR 17.3-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
Just the facts. or at least anecdotal opinions (from a non-gamer who uses this type of device as a portable development workhorse):

The good:

* Fast. I've seen some other i7 units and this definitely keeps pace if not surpasses them. The memory and drives are very fast (2 x 7,200 RPM makes for some nifty RAID 1). Note that the graphics chipset seems to be set at 500MHz, not 1GHz but it seems very snappy to me still.

* The display is great -- crisp and clear.

* It's VERY quiet. Amazingly the quietest laptop I've even owned.

* Virtualization works very well on this machine.

* I'm looking forward to using a USB 3.0 drive on this someday.

* Value for the money seems reasonable to me.

The bad:

* You can't have 3+ displays without a display port device. I'm seeing some confusion over whether it has to be active or not, but right now I'm guessing it has to be an active adapter to VGA or a display port monitor. I can't test the third display yet since I don't have an adapter...

* I don't like the mouse pad. The multi-touch function is a pain, especially since the mouse buttons are part of the pad. This makes resting your trigger thumb rather touchy. It'd be nice to be able to disable it entirely without having to screw with X11 but no Fn key seems to do that.

* The sound from the laptop speakers sucks. I'm a little biased on this since I'm going from the deep, epic sounds of the Harmon/Kardons of my Quasimodo to a set of speakers that have all the acoustic depth of a wet towel. When plugged into a more advanced system, they seem to work fine, but I don't really understand why I'm supposed to get all jazzed over this "beats audio" thing. The only thing it seems to beat is

* It runs VERY hot when first purchased.

The unavoidably H.P.:

* Upgrade the BIOS and all the drivers right away. Doing that alone decreased heat output greatly for me. (I haven't been to the hospital for palm burns since.)

* Battery life is not great, even with two batteries included. I'm estimating about 3-4 hours for BOTH TOGETHER. I capitalize not out of anger but to forewarn the wary shopper. This is a portable aircraft carrier, not a dingy. Higher heat levels = more power.

* Why oh why does Windows/HP feel the need to take all four primary partitions on their laptops. (Make your backup DVDs early. Especially if you're a Linux user and are planning to repartition but might want to make sure they're available for later. Just sayin'. You don't want to be one of _those_ guys that has to dig out the recovery NTFS out of the partition table by hand because you accidentally turned on the dynamic drive looking for a way to get an extended partition.)

* When initially started, before the BIOS upgrade, the fn keys would do BOTH the regular operation + the HP operation. Normally you would hold "fn" and then press F1 or what not, but the default state didn't seem to require the "fn" for whatever reason. The BIOS upgrade seems to have fixed that.

This would be 4.5 stars if possible since it fits my personal needs (if indeed I can get the third display), but since I can't I have to rate 4 since the machine isn't really perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Performace For the Dollar!, September 11, 2010
*Edited*

Pro 1: "In Depth Specs" The computer runs wonderfully with it's i7 720Q 1.6GH~2.6GHz quad(octa/virtual)-core CPU, it's 8GBs of DDR3 running @ max of 667MHz (Hynix brand DIMMs) (more below: Other) and a ATI Mobility HD 5850 with 1GB of DDR5 (not DDR3) running @ max 500MHz (more below: Other) and DDR5 runs max 900MHz. As for storage this contains 2x "WDC WD3200BEKT" 320GBs running @ 7.2K RPMs.

Pro 2: "Mild Gaming" I prefer to play my games windowed (1280x720) instead of a full screen so I can keep an eye out for computer stats and temperatures. I can run Crysis with Extreme Particles mod @ Ultra High 4xAA in 1280x720 and get 20~30fps. this goes pretty much the same for NFShift, and Starcraft 2. I couldn't play Oblivion with these settings in a window, the same for Front Mission 5 and Metro 2033.

Pro 3: "Beats Audio Does Work!" Sounds wonderful (for the first 30 days) through the speakers and any set of headphones. I wish the Beat Audio control panel had more than 2 equalizer presets.

Con 1: "Bad Speaker, Bad" Nearly a month after getting mine in the mail the right speaker broke. I think it's because of the 2 USB ports on the right hand side get hot. My Blue-Track mouse would keep disconnecting for no reason and finally the speaker went out.

Con 2: "Too Many Drives!?" OMG too many freaking partitions, I swear there was 4 drives. 2 Drives were obviously garbage so I removed those and extended the others.

Con 3: "Bloatware, HP's Bloatware" Freaking annoying on how much crap they set up on these things now, Icon Packer (trial), Fences, Roxio (doesn't work) and not to mention HP's Netflix and Hulu apps (don't work). I will give them props for giving away a 1 year subscription of Norton for free though.

Other 1: "RAM" The RAM is rated to run @ 667MHz but Everest reports that the max the Envy 17 will push it is 609MHz, so there's another underclocked part here.

Other 2: "GPU" The ATI Mobility HD 5850 is underclocked from 650MHz to 500MHz which is just 10 or so fps extra and if you really want those frames you can use MSI's Afterburner software to OC the GPU (I haven't, neither should you).

Other 3: "Heat" during play time, running Crysis with above settings I only reach temperatures around 180f~190f, idle 145f~150f, and the HDDs never go about 150f. If you expect this too run cool, I'm sorry you're retarded.

Other 4:"MiniOS" HP tried doing something pretty cool, run a small operating system before Win7 for music, photos, videos and web but it falls short and delivers half way through. Every 5 seconds the pointer stops moving for a second, the miniOS cant detect user music, video, photo folders. It's sluggish and thankfully you can disable it.

*Edited*

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast but problematic laptop. support issues resolved., September 25, 2010
J Arnheim "pmehra" (Cupertino, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP ENVY 17-1011NR 17.3-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
Updating on March 1, 2011.

Pros:
- Fast
- Nice big screen
Cons:
- battery life
- uses ATI (not Nvidia) graphics card

- I sent in my laptop for warranty repairs. HP replaced the squeaky keyboard.
- The graphics driver issues are gone perhaps because HP found and replaced some defective memory modules.
- The price I paid was 5 days without my laptop and it arrived factory reset.
- Fortunately I had backed up my laptop using HP MediaSmart Server HP EX490 1TB Mediasmart Home Server (Black) before sending it to HP for repairs. Unfortunately, the PC Restore disk on the HP MediaSmart server does not recognize the network card on Envy 17. (HP Backup server not supporting the hardware in an HP Laptop!!) Thanks to an extremely competent support person by the name of Terry, I was able to point the PC Restore process to the RealTek PCIe GBE network card driver for Vista 32-bit downloaded and extracted from the manufacturer's website. My PC is now fully restored and all parts of it are working perfectly.

- The good news is that Aero Flip 3D and other features that HP could not make work without factory reset are also working despite the fact that I have restored all my apps and data as before the repair. The magic came from HP's own user community [...] where someone pointed out that the culprit behind Aero disabled problem is Stardock crapware pre-loaded with Envy! I uninstalled it and Windows 7 features (Aero Peek, Aero Flip 3D and the very cute Aero Shake are working as advertised!

- To get to this stage I had to escalate the support issue with HP. I am glad to see it resolved.

RECOMMENDATION
- In the meanwhile, I have bought HP dv7t for my developers and dm4 for one of my business-oriented co-founders. Their experience (especially of the dv7 users, which is a very competently priced comparable product) has been extremely positive. I recommend that people looking at Envy buy the dv7t HP Pavilion dv7t 17.0" Widescreen Display Notebook if they are primarily desk users. And travellers should look at the smaller screen but equally powerful dm4t which is much lighter, has great batter life, can be configured with i7 processor and similar amounts of memory as Envy, but does not offer the 1920 screen resolution nor the 17 inch screen.HP Pavilion dm4t Customizable Notebook PC i5-430M 2.53GHz 14" 320GB 3GB Webcam Fingerprint Bluetooth

-- My review before I raised to 4 stars is below

I cannot recommend HP Envy.

Pros:
- Fast
- Nice big screen
Cons:
- Terrible battery life
- Randomly drops keyboard characters. I have called HP again and again. They have tried to fix the BIOS and done software fixes that seem to make no difference. It makes annoying and embarrassing spelling mistakes in emails and documents. (this problem went away ... see my update below)
- Bluescreens. Less than a month old.
- NO ONE AT HP KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT ENVY MODELS. Yesterday I was handed off from person to person for 2 hours before giving up. 6 or 7 support people passed my call from one to the other without one of them being "an Envy specialist"

updating on 11/29/2010:
GOOD NEWS:
- keyboard character drop problem disappeared as mysteriously as it had started. Don't know yet if this is part of the intermittent pattern or a permanent resolution.
- HP support left a few voicemail messages on my answering machine
BAD NEWS:
- product still bluescreens, most recently during Web browsing (at fault driver was the ATI graphics card driver)
No change in overall 2-star rating.

updating on 12/09/2010:
GOOD NEWS:
- HP support website had an updated driver. It was as I suspected the ATI graphics driver (Why would HP not put an Nvidia card in its premier product??). The laptop was consistently crashing if you clicked on a link to a youtube video sent to you in email. It is no longer doing that with the new driver.
BAD NEWS:
- The keyboard has developed squeaky keys
- I know for sure that the SHIFT key and the spacebar are squeaky
- I suspect this product has inferior hardware in the keyboard.

Given how much I paid for this product (and the price has gone up for Christmas so you will pay even more), I am going to keep my rating down at 2 stars. When you pay 1500 bucks, you expect the product to not break within 3 months of use.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two defective units. Great idea, poorly executed., October 25, 2010
This review is from: HP ENVY 17-1011NR 17.3-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
I went from a Dell Studio XPS 16 laptop to this HP Envy 17. I was really excited to get this laptop, and really did want to like it. Unfortunately, I received not one, but TWO defective units from Amazon. The first shut down and booted up repeatedly at random. The second wobbled on a level surface. Trust me, I tried it on 5 surfaces. The laptops design is great, and build quality could be decent. I say could because with the wobble, and some gaps between the frame and side pieces, it isn't refined. The wobble is a fairly widespread problem, check out the notebookreview.com forum on the envy 17 and you will see just how widespread.

PROS

-Concept
-Build quality (could be great)
-Price
-"Fingerprintless"
-Nice keyboard, plus its backlight
-Slot loading drive

CONS

-Quality control (received 2 defective units)
-Runs HOT
-Sitting next to my Dell Studio XPS 16, the screen looks terrible (the Dell has a WLED backlight screen)
-No play, skip buttons

Overall, I cannot recommend this laptop because of the obvious quality control issues with HP. I'm going back to Dell- Alienware M17X

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Desktop Replacement for those prepared for the caveats that comes with, September 20, 2010
This review is from: HP ENVY 17-1011NR 17.3-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
I was looking for a desktop replacement since I'm planning some extended travel, during which I needed to be able to continue working (software development involving running multiple VMs, so the beefy processing power is a must). The Envy 17 fit the bill perfectly.

The graphics card is among the fastest you'll find on a laptop, shy of dedicated gaming laptops. The 1920x1080 display is stunning, though it does suffer from the expected reflections common to glossy displays of its type. I was surprised to find that this particular package included both an extended battery and a normal battery.

As other reviewers have commented, the pseudo buttons on the trackpad can make it tricky to, say, right-click without having the mouse pointer jump a bit. Since I prefer using a mouse with the laptop when possible, this doesn't bother me greatly, and with practice I've gotten better at clicking without moving the pointer. But the pad just isn't quite as slickly implemented as that of the most recent MacBook Pros.

For the money you get a great deal of power. Quad core processing, surprisingly good sound (for a laptop), eSATA/USB3 port, 3 different video outs (mini-DisplayPort, HDMI, and VGA) which you can use simultaneously either mirrored or as distinct desktop areas, fast graphics, easy to access and swap hard drives (I replaced my main drive with an SSD in a couple of minutes), 8 GB of RAM, Blu-Ray. The keyboard feels good - I like it better even than my previous (first Intel gen) MacBook Pro.

Downsides: it's a 17 inch laptop, so you pay by way of weight. And the processing and graphics power come at a cost of battery life - even with the larger battery, I maybe get 2 hours of typical non-constrained use. It gets quite hot on the left side near the fan vent, particularly when playing games or otherwise loading the processors heavily. Usage on an actual lap, the term "laptop" notwithstanding, is not the most comfortable as a result of the heat.

HP ENVY 17-1011NR 17.3-Inch Laptop