Published on May 13, 2011 by Israel Hernandez

3.0 out of 5 stars Great computer but has some problems
Well, this is my first time doing a review on here, but becuase of how few reviews I have been able to find on this laptop, I figured I should share my thoughts on it.

First off, the packaging was amazing! You can tell they really took their time when designing the way this product would be shipped and opened for first use.

The look and feel of this...
Published on May 19, 2011 by D. Andersen

3.0 out of 5 stars Great computer but has some problems, May 19, 2011
This review is from: HP ENVY 17-2070NR Notebook Computer - Silver (Personal Computers)

The look and feel of this laptop is also really good. It feels really strong and not made out of some cheap materials. I love how it comes with ZERO stickers on the laptop that display what is it in. The laptop is very sleek and clean looking. I also love the custom theme that it is for Windows 7. It is also very simple and clean. It is a LOT better than the default windows 7 theme. The keyboard is also very well made and I love the backlighting.

However, this amazing laptop also has some flaws that I wish I knew about BEFORE purchasing this item. I had no idea that the other Envy products (Envy 15 for example), suffer from black or blank screen problems! At random (normally when the computer is sitting without being used for a short time) the screen will just fade to black. If you look really hard from certain angles you can see the desktop, but its so dark you cannot shut down the computer. This also happens nearly 100% of the time when you close the screen and return to your computer after a short time. From what I have read online, the only "fix" for this is to close the screen again or hold the power button until it restarts. Also, HP does not seem to see this has a problem with the computer, however just google HP envy 17 Black Screen and you will see all the issues people are having with this. HP just seems to replace the computers. Hopefully a fix will come out soon, but nobody can seem to figure out what causes this issue.

Another problem I have been having is the random freezing. I will be doing nothing no downloads, no music playing, just simply sitting at the desktop and the computer will freeze. Again, the only fix for this is to hold down the power button until it turns off. Also, this issue is like the black screen problem. I have not found anybody that has been able to pinpoint the cause of this problem to get it fixed.

Finally, the last problem is the heat! Man does this thing produce heat. It could heat up a house in the winter! With only ONE vent in the side of the computer that is in a really poor location, this thing is hard to cool down. I had to purchase a massive cooling pad to help keep it cool. Also, the place that seems to heat up the worst is to the left of the mousepad (which sucks as well) which if you are a gamer, that is not a good location. You will be resting your palm here to use the WASD keys for many of the games and your hand will get extremely hot.

Overall, I really want to like this computer, but with the issue I am having, I don't know if I will be keeping it or returning it to Amazon. If I can figure out a fix for the random black screens or freezes, I will keep it since I can deal with the heat now that it has a pad. However, the random freezing and the black screens are a deal breaker for a laptop that costs SO much money. You would think that since the black screen problem was a major issue with the Envy 15 that they would have fixed it for the Envy 17, but like I said, HP does not seem to see this as a problem.

EDIT: Well I have been dealing with HP support through e-mail and they are being anything but helpful at this point. Sure they reply to e-mails EXTREMELY fast for such a major company, but you can tell all their answers are canned replies that have already been typed and they simply copy and paste. For example, in the last e-mail from them, they gave me the instructions to do something on my computer for Windows XP...did they even check to see what the heck the laptop was?!?! Does HP even have laptops that have XP on them anymore? So far, after three e-mail messages and tons of research online, none of the problems I mentioned in the first review have been fixed. Buy at your own risk, but HP doesn't seem to understand the problems people are having with this machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want helpful INFO and dont mind reading a little, this is it!, May 13, 2011
Out of the box this machine is extraordinary, The packaging alone tells you, you just bought a different type of laptop(very high end) perfectly packed with a couple of very nice extras(nothing big but I won't spoil the surprise)if you like bells and whistles this laptop has them all, aluminum case and the look of the etching is incredible and feels really solid (which is very good, having seen broken or bent motherboards and screens due to flimsy cases) beautiful LED screen, chicklet type illuminated keys, slot load BD player, extra long lasting battery...the works. Ok performance. Turning it on I was amazed by how quick this machine is and I have been around PCs and laptops all teen-adult life so I can tell you, you won't be disappointed. specs are up on the product description, but they are MISSING the best parts. This is a new i7 2.0 GHz processor (CPU) and it is quad core (4 CPU in one) BUT! with "hyper-threading" so if you don't speak geek what it means is that you virtually have (and you will see in your task manager) 8 (eight) 2.0 GHz processors running simultaneously this is awesome. Now to me the most important missing spec is that this is a HM65 chipset, what this means is that it comes available with blazing fast SATA 3 hard drive interface..in all my latest laptops this has been the performance bottleneck even with an SSD hard drive (downside, the laptop comes with 2 500Gb SATA 2 Hard drives. upside they come in RAID 0(you will see just one big disk on your explorer), which is a lot faster than normal setups.)but if you want the extra performance of SATA 3 you will have to buy a new HD. Last thing it has great battery life due to the double video card, so, on power saver, low performance video card and dimmed screen, I can get up to 3 hrs with the 6 cell battery. OK for us geeks that can't leave well enough alone...the laptop comes with 4gb + 2Gb RAM very bad! so BUY 8Gb RAM package and a SSD HD that is SATA 3 compatible (and a SSUSB (or USB 3.0) external enclosure to put the extra HD once your done), you will have to do a new windows install so download your drivers from HP except the SSUSB this one download it from a HP probook which is the same driver but newer and better (don't know why), and an updated video driver...I can't start to tell you how fast this machine turns out! by now you can see that I like computers, this one blew mi mind and I haven't over clocked it yet...hope this helps...long winded and all.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unit freezes up, June 18, 2011
Very, very well packaged. The unit is very sleek and it runs very quietly. Backlit Keyboard was just what I wanted. Very good. The Display was great.

But upon first use, this unit would freeze up and not respond to any commands. I had to turn the power off using the Power Button. Then upon turning it on again it would run for a few hours (or sometimes a only few minutes) then freeze up again. I had to recycle the power button to get it back on.

HP Customer Service was very courteous (and they spoke English). I talked with them 4 or 5 times in the first fews days after receiving the PC, they seemed to know what they were doing and I got the same department each time I called. They even called ME back to see how I was doing. (The technicians I spoke with knew the other technicians I had spoken to, so I didn't have to keep explaining the problem over and over again)

But everything we tried failed to fix the problem. HP finally suggested returning the unit. Thinking the problem was hardware vs. software.

I did send the unit back to Amazon. Amazon offered me an exchange or my money back. Amazon has good customer service also.

So if you get a unit that freezes up at any time, make sure you call HP for help. They told me this was not an uncommon problem but new HP BIOS usually fixes the bug. (They also said my unit may have set on the shelf for a while, and that newer units come with the newer version BIOS)

HP Customer Service was the BEST customer support I have ever had to use.. too bad the unit wasn't as good..

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine piece of machinery, May 15, 2011
Zach S. (Philadelphia) - See all my reviews
I just got the HP 2070NR to use as a development work station. So far I've been extremely happy with the purchase.

I have my 2070 running XUbuntu 11.04 AMD64. There were a few quirks specific to this laptop (that will probably effect anyone using Linux on it regardless of distro), one of which is the "click-pad" and the other of which is the hybrid graphics card. I had to patch and build a new package to get the track pad working correctly, but it wasn't really a big deal so I'm not deducting a star for it. You can find that answer on bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/582809 (#144). The other thing is you don't want to use fglrx (proprietary drivers) on it, as fglrx does not work with vgaswitcheroo (the Linux kernel facility for switching graphics cards) yet... I'm sure AMD will come out with a fix for it eventually, but for the moment only the opensource radeon drivers work.

Other than fglrx not working and the touchpad behaving weird, everything on this laptop worked out of the box on Ubuntu (wireless, wired network card, sound, even the web cam).

One thing I wanted to note about the two hard drives is they come configured in a Raid0 configuration and the array controller only supports Raid0 (no raid1/mirrored). I had kind of been hoping to mirror my hard drives with a hardware controller... But that isn't really a big deal either because what other laptop comes with 2 hard drives and an array controller?

I'm really happy with this laptop so far. I've had it for 3 days now, and it's definitely a huge step up over my previous laptop. I can run Netbeans, Eclipse, Jboss, Banshee, and a VirtualBox without any problems... This laptop had everything I was looking for in a laptop specs wise, and then some.

As far as battery life:

If you use the 6-cell battery, and aren't doing anything too intense, it should get close to 2 hours.

If you use the 9-cell battery and aren't doing anything too computationally intense, it'll be closer to 3.5.a)

That isn't really amazing battery life for a laptop, but when you consider what a monster this thing is, 17 in display, 2x 7200 RPM drives, i7 quad, discreet graphics, it does a bit better than what I'd expect. I have to give them credit, they built a machine designed to behave much like a desktop, and it still has a usable battery.

As far as build quality goes:

I've always been an HP fan, but I've always hated the pavilion and other home computers. I've always bought the business laptops and workstations. I have to say, HP has addressed a lot of the problems I've had with the pavilions and some of their other home computers being crappy computers. This computer is built like one of their business models, and not only that it's really nice looking. It performs really well, has great hardware, and was at a much more desirable price point than some of their other offerings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing., May 10, 2011
Hp Envy 17-2070nr. So far I believe its an amazing laptop. Havent had a single problem, its extremely fast and it came flawless. Hopefully I will not have any problems in the future but if I do I will update.
It did took me a few minutes to get used to the trackpad, but got used to it.
I was afraid of buying because I could not find any reviews but I am glad I took the risk.

edit:
I had some issues with it freezing, supposedly the culprit was the wireless card, but I simply did a clean install of Windows 7 from the partition recovery, and the problem seems to be fixed. i brought it down to four because i shouldn't have to be fixing a brand new computer specially a 1400 dollar computer, but i did because i really love the feel and performance of the computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful piece of machinary with a few quirps, June 28, 2011
This is my first truly high end laptop, coming from a systems builder perspective and a semi-netbook owner (I own the HP Mini 311-1000NR 11.6-Inch Black Netbook - Up to 6.25 Hours of Battery Life which barely qualifys for a netbook). Coming with this background, the HP envy 17 (with Sandy Bridge i7) is truly a treat for me. So here are my 3 highligths and lowlights of the machine:

Highlights-
1. The sheer power and speed of this laptop runs circles around top end desktops made even just a year ago. I can run multiple screens and have eclipse with GWT and flash videos while runnign music and a video game with no slow down. (This isn't really a true benchmark but more typical use)
2. Build quality is superior to any other windows based laptop (even lenovo buisness class) This thing is a tank (in terms of the structure of the laptop) which is not a bad thing at all considering the category this laptop falls under. It seems that the voodoo team is still alive within HP and while I'm sure some compromises were made for material it is not apprent in the finsihed product.
3. Plenty of "extras" included with and on the laptop. Whether its the included 2GB SD card (with about 100MB taken up for a manual) to the two battery packs included. HP has gone to all ends to show the customer that they aren't ripping the consumer off and actually providing thigns that are normally taxed on at best buy or whatnot. Also internally there are some things that would not be required for a desktop laptop but are included. 2 hard drives in RAID, USB 3.0, 3 display ports: vga/HDMI/display port, slot load hard drive and seemingly stereo mics. (could be wrong about the mics but there are two tiny holes surronding the webcam)

Lowlights-
1. Trackpad, this thing is really horrible in my opinion. While its not completely useless I would have changed some thigns about it like moving it closer to the edge of the laptop and getting a better trackpad. many people complain about the mouse clicker not being seperate from the pad but this would be a non-issue if the trackpad had better firmware or better quality. though in general the trackpad is a non-issue as I use a mouse most of the time.
2. The laptop is heavy, this is expected but I guess I would be happier if it were the weight of the macbook pro. Though thats probably why the macbook costs $1000 more.
3. I suppose it gets hot while gaming but really if you are gaming with this beast, you should not be surprised when it warms up your soda sitting next to the vent.

Overall I love this laptop, I have had no issues yet and I keep discovering new things to love. Windows 7 is wonderful on this laptop and it boots up in no time. I didn't mention this much because I figured people already have their opinions on windows 7 versus mac os x.

One last thing: I didn't mention battery because of two reasons. it is a desktop replacement and also it comes with two batterys (6-cell and 9-cell) if you ran out of battery on one, just plug the other in... Also its not portable but thats an assumption you should have when buying this thing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice BIG Laptop, May 30, 2011
Bonesaw (San Jose, CA) - See all my reviews
This HP is a beast of a laptop. I searched to find the newest and fastest machine, and this seems to be it. I am not a computer geek, but wanted to buy top of the line so that it will last. It was between this and the Apple and the Sony Viao 16.4", and I did go for this for a few reasons. The Blu-Ray player - the Mac doesnt have one, and also the 1080p screen resolution - Mac's are only 1600x900. Maybe that doestn matter, but I have a new 55" screen that I wanted to watch blu-rays on and use as a secondary monitor. I almost got the Sony, but I had an HP for about the past 7 years and it worked great, so I figured to stick with what has worked.

So, after hookup, the machine is running good, however it is a monster, and the neoprene sleeve I purchased for 17.3" Laptops at Office D. DOESN'T FIT. That means the chassis on this machine is beyond a normal 17.3" machine. So, I am still looking for a sleeve that this will fit. It is not a machine you want to take to work with you daily, this is a desktop replacement that you may want to take with you on occasion to a friends or on a long vacation - it is big. The POWER cable transformer is about the size of a freaking brick, so that also makes the journey even tougher to keep that in the laptop bags as well. The 2nd battery is awesome, it does last for about 3 hours.

In the past 30 days I have had the machine I used it almost daily, and have had it freeze up about 3-4 times. That means 1 of 8 times you are using this machine it will freeze, and you have to reboot by holding the power button down til shutdown. THAT is annoying. However, it reboots immediately, and very quickly, and back to what you were doing. Maybe this will be resolved after a few months of configuration/setup changes and more updates, I am not sure what it happening - I am not an expert. I also don't like the arrow keys - they are smaller than my previous laptop. The Up and Down share the size of one button, and it it tough to find. I guess I will just have to get used to it.

It is a hot machine too, no doubt. The fan is much noiser than my 15.6" HP Centrino that I was replacing. I guess since the CPU is the top of the line, it needs a bit more cooling power.

The wireless network card may freeze up too, as I was watching HBO GO the other day and it froze about 4 times during a 1 hour show. Maybe it is my new Cisco 3200 router that I recently purchased as well, but not sure. When this is running good, the download speed is amazing with Comcast xfinity. I get songs in seconds.

Overall, I like the machine. It does have it's flaws, but overall I think it is still awesome. It does look good with the etched aluminum finish, backlit keyboard and sound is great for a laptop, and the Photoshop programs you get with it are nice - just did my first Video editing with a soundtrack background - nice. The 2nd battery is a $125 value, so add that in. The processor speed is tremendous, and the HD webcam is cool.

UPDATE: Installed new drivers like the Commentors said, and the computer still froze up every use. Then it went blue screen on me every hour or so I had it on. So, I spoke with the HP folks every day after work, running diagnostics and tests for hours at a time. They then overnighted me Restore disks, and I got them and it took several hours over two days to run a complete system restore and software update. Still didnt help, computer continued to freeze and blue screen on me. During that time, my return policy ran out, so now I can't return it to the seller. So, now I can only hope that HP fixes the machine, as they finally they sent me a box to send it back to them. Custormer support is pretty good, they call you daily to check on the problem. But I dont have time to mess around with installing software, I wanted a great laptop that I would have to mess with. I havent recieved the repaired machine yet, but they called and said they replaced the motherboard. I went and bought a $300 laptop to use while the 2070NR is in the shop, and it seems to work GREAT (Toshiba L655-S5096).

UPDATE #2: I recieved the laptop after they replaced the motherboard within 5 days, and doesn't seem to have any more problems Freezing up yet. I guess I got a lemon orginally. I am bringing my 1 star review up to 3 stars, just because they shouldnt have shipped out all these problems. Maybe the newer models will be good to go.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hardware disaster, October 10, 2011
Do not buy this!!!

The hardware and build quality of this computer are absolutely terrible. After reading all of the reviews it seems like 60-70% of these computers are lemons, I should have taken this as a warning sign, but I love a bargain and they had a great sale. I am now writing this review on the SECOND HP Envy 17 2070nr I have received. The first one had no functioning speakers, except the sub! The one that I have now has a bad LCD! It's turning red! There's also a dent on the HDD access panel which bumps it out, this is not from shipping. The box looked perfect when it arrived, our FedEx guy is very good. This passes as ready to ship? I have also been through every grueling tech support phone call and hp forum I can stand trying to find out if these hardware things were driver issues, believe me, they're not.
Junk Junk Junk.

Speaking of driver issues, prepare to loose about 12 hours of your life. How about the network adapter that causes the entire system to freeze. I mean total freeze like no task manager, nothing but a hard reboot to get it back. And.. the AMD GPU driver that causes windows to load a black screen after the latest update. I have spent more time trying to fix this computer in the last 2 weeks than any system I have ever owned. The updates I downloaded were from HP and the hardware manufacturers directly, no 3rd party software.

All this being said, it is an aesthetically pleasing notebook. Sleek, lots of sexy glowing LEDs, textured cover. I think the keyboard is comfortable, easy to type on, but that's it. It is complete junk on the inside. The IT person at HP told me on the phone that they have been having build quality issues. You wonder why they were about to stop manufacturing computers? Why such a deal?
JUNK JUNK JUNK!

One star, sorry HP, you blew it, I used to be a loyal customer. My Dell is in the mail.

4.0 out of 5 stars Software issues, July 31, 2011
When I opened the box the computer looked perfect. That did not last long. When I turned the machine on a desktop came up, no registration or password to enter. Next I could not download Macafee and when I did Explorer would freeze. Called HP and I did a system restore and Bingo solved the problems. Now I Had to register the unit with HP and set up my desktop. Did another person have this computer before me? Or did it happen at the factory? Has this been a problem for you? Please let me know. The machine now works great no problems with heat or blue screens ect.. Took a star off for the day it took get the computer back to factory specs.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware of fan noise and palm rest heat!!!!!!, May 21, 2011
I. Kim (Fort Worth, TX) - See all my reviews
Beware of noise and heat!!!

I bought this laptop after a long consideration and search. When I received this, I was thrilled to have this great and beautiful machine. However, my expectation became a nightmare after one day. Yes, my laptop was defective. After windows update, I had to watch many blue screens. I cannot use a sleep and hibernation mode. Every time I turned on, I had to reinstall a video driver. After setting back to a original condition many times, I gave up and retuned this one. Any laptop could be this lemon. However, if I had known other problems before, I would not have ordered this HP envy 17.

1) Big Noise
This is too noisy. A fan is constantly on and this is so annoying. I cannot tolerate this kinds of fan noise especially at night.

2) Palm rest Heat
The left side palm rest is so hot. If it had been a winter, I would have appreciated this special feature. The palm rest is so hot that I cannot rest my left arm at all. Even this laptop could warm up my cold coffee.

3) Driver problems
I don't know this problems occurred because my laptop was defective. After turning off and on the computer, I had to reinstalled the video driver and USB 3.0 driver every times. Because of this machine, I bought UBS 3.0 external HDD drive. After transferring all the backup files to the laptop, I found out that the transfer rate was the same as USB 2.0. It took me several hours to transfer files and it made me mad. I reinstall the USB 3.0 driver. after that, the USB 3.0 port started to work. But after I turned off and on the laptop, I had to reinstall the driver.

Yes, This could have been a lemon. But beware of the fan noise and the palm rest heat! If you are sensitive of these, you should avoid this laptop. For 3 days, I poured out all my time to correct all the problems but failed. I returned this one and am getting back to a old Dell computer. This is so slow but very quiet and cool.

Rate and Discover Movies